• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Nerf everything! >:D
3BauBrq7zxYEo.gif

12dkP5hmrFc0Ss.gif

Nerf necrochasm 😎

Ape, take me through PvP Bootcamp starting tomorrow! (Tonight's The Walking Dead season finale and Wrestlemania so no bueno for today)

Video footage of the AquaticApe training me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qVUn4797g

How did I miss this post? Amazing. Splashing around in water is the best way to train.

Also, good to know I'm not that only nerd that's going to watch some wrasslin' tonight.

I'll be around tomorrow night for some IB and maybe Trials.

This is so sweaty. I only wish I could be 50% this good.

I finally have time to catch up to this.

I just want to say a few things. First, I don't think I'm that good, I've just gotten to the point where I can feel myself improving and I want to continue to improve. What I've done to learn and get better is the following:

1) Watch streamers that I can learn from and those that have a playstyle I enjoy.

For me, the 2 biggest ones are Kraftyy (Blade) and War Buiietproof (Sunsinger). They both snipe and use TLW, and that's the main combo I like to use. War mainly plays sweaties, but I learn a TON from him.

How he moves around.
How he uses the map and different pieces to stand or slide behind.
How he pushes or pulls back and where. If his teammates dies and he's a 1v2 or 1v3, he immediately falls back and waits for them to respawn. When to be aggresive and push, especially after a body goes down. And to be aware where your teammates are and where they're pushing from.

Of course there's different mechanics in Trials since your teammates can't respawn but there's still similarities that you can take with you.

I also watch Ramblinnn and Lumi sometimes to see how they nightstalker/shotgun (Lumi) and nightstalker/snipe (Rambo) when they play Trials. I recently found out about Giggle_Monster and he's a blade sniper user as well.

2) Practice. I just play a ton of PvP and try to use what I learn from watching them.

3) I accept help from my teammates, whether it's Drizz, Ape, Igor, or Inapp, I communicate with them during the match and after if needed to learn. A big part is being aware of what your teammates do and playing a role that can help. I even talk with whoever is watching afterwards (via Discord or PSN Party Chat) and talk about what just happened.

4) I record matches and I watch what I do and see the mistakes I make and improve on them.

5) Repeat 1-4.

I also look at the streamer's subclass loadout to see what they're using via bungie.net to and try it out if I like it.

Hope that helps! Anyone feel free to modify and/or add on to anything I've said.

Edit: Oh and callouts are HUGE! Everythinf from where each orb that dies and when warlocks waste their nades, where they're getting shot from, etc.

Edit2: When you stick together (huge part of trials), and you know 1 person from the other team is flanking by himself, it's best to 3v1 him and play around his orb because that should be a fairly free kill. Also knowing what your opponents have and their setup (int/disc/str build) helps a ton.

Edit3: John's post:
#1 Top Tip for New Trials Folks

Don't die!

I know that seems obvious, but as Drizz says, 90% of Trials rounds are decided after that first death. So make sure you're not it!

In a 3v3 game mode, it makes such a huge difference being alive vs. dead, even if you're not doing anything, you're passively providing pressure and you're keeping your team's focus on your enemies, instead of getting your rez.

Two corollaries:
1) It's okay to branch off, but try to stay within 1-2 seconds of a teammate at all times. Either to provide support, or get yourself some help.
2) If you must die, Driz is a big proponent of DYING WHERE HE CAN GET YOUR REZ! Don't die in the middle of an open field. Don't die in a sniper lane, etc. So if you're considering pushing or challenging, instead of retreating, think about where your orb will be. You'd be amazed how just not dying in bad places will result in just dying less.

Dthomp

There is a special place in hell for all the assholes who bail on a game because your team is down by a couple thousand points. Wish Bungie would do something about this

Fantastic Trials Tips

Don't die!

I know that seems obvious, but as Drizz says, 90% of Trials rounds are decided after that first death. So make sure you're not it!

In a 3v3 game mode, it makes such a huge difference being alive vs. dead, even if you're not doing anything, you're passively providing pressure and you're keeping your team's focus on your enemies, instead of getting your rez.

Two corollaries:
1) It's okay to branch off, but try to stay within 1-2 seconds of a teammate at all times. Either to provide support, or get yourself some help.
2) If you must die, Driz is a big proponent of DYING WHERE HE CAN GET YOUR REZ! Don't die in the middle of an open field. Don't die in a sniper lane, etc. So if you're considering pushing or challenging, instead of retreating, think about where your orb will be. You'd be amazed how just not dying in bad places will result in just dying less.

Don't die!

Two corollaries:

Indeed! Very important tips - Great additions!

Edited my post to include yours

Magik

Don't die!

Two corollaries:

Minor points that I would add to what has been said so far:

1) Find your ideal sub-classes and optimal skill-tree set ups that you are most comfortable with
2) Obvious point but have the best weapons as possible that you are comfortable with
3) Have Armor set ups that play to your sub-classes strengths in regards to their INT/DIS/STR stats. ie I find INT/DIS is ideal for all 3 Titan sub-classes so I don't even both with gear that has STR stats. Being able to shave off 10+ secs from your super, grenade, or melee can be huge.
4) PRACTICE and PATIENCE- You won't get better if you aren't playing enough but at the same time, don't be too hard on yourself.

Yeah, talking to Igor and Drizz after my first trials session with them was such an eye opener. Drizz explained why I died (I pushed in too far away from my team mates and they couldn't get my orb).

Recording your own matches goes a long way! You'll be saying things like "damn I should have done this instead of that, which means you're learning".

I've lost to countless fights merely because I did an unnecessary push while I had the advantage and engaged in a sniper duel against someone who already set up. Learning little intricate details like that become ingrained into your play-style and become second nature.

"Oh, he's hard-scoping, back off and attack from a different angle"
"Enemy is backing off, but his/her team mates are nearby, hold back"

Trials: "My team mate just got a kill, watch that orb"

"Two enemies down, push altogether and finish it, while keeping the orbs in mind".

Lastly, have fun with it ID.

Yea, sometimes it's better to play it safe. I should have did that yesterday. I threw a firebolt and tagged 2 people, both 1 shot. I tried to make a high risk high reward play, jumped up to where all 3 of them were after that nade, died and immediately put my team in a 2v3 situation. Even if I only killed 1 they would have gotten the revive. You learn from it!

funcojoe

I mainly play pvp since day one, hate raids and pve content. Went flawless in year one 10+ times but I hate the elimination game type. Imo it's way to slow and methodical. So I stopped trials , then year two came and I just had no one left to run trials with or even play with.

So I run pvp solo which is horrible but I still enjoy skirmish and clash. I hate objective games have since the days of halo ce on game spy arcade.

My kd went from 1.60 year one to 1.30 year two. I still have fun though.

I'm reading some replies and it seems some of you take this shit way too seriously. Studying game film? Really?

I say fuck it, play, have fun, and shoot what's in front of you. The more you try and play shit as a chess match the more you lose imo, just go with your instinct and natural ability.

More stuff from the TTK trailer advertising gear we never ended up getting. The Watcher's Trials helmet/cloak for the hunter.

Hhahaha we are gonna get that for the next expansion no doubt.

In one of the 2013 vidocs they show off the arc flayer mantle, for instance.

Dthomp

I'm done. For at least today, if not for a long while. I mostly enjoy the PVE, but since there hasn't been any PVE in what feels like a year I've dipped into the PVP and I've never seen such a toxic wasteland. 5 different guns being used by every player, hard scoping from everywhere since AA is so fucking high why not? I could happily never touch PVP except for the fact that you almost have to if you want to get to max level (and most PVE players want that, I know PVP only care about guns).

Anyways, there is my rant. It's done, and most likely so am I after I get my last trophy. PVP has killed my interest in Destiny :(

funcojoe

I'm done. For at least today, if not for a long while. I mostly enjoy the PVE, but since there hasn't been any PVE in what feels like a year I've dipped into the PVP and I've never seen such a toxic wasteland. 5 different guns being used by every player, hard scoping from everywhere since AA is so fucking high why not? I could happily never touch PVP except for the fact that you almost have to if you want to get to max level (and most PVE players want that, I know PVP only care about guns).

Anyways, there is my rant. It's done, and most likely so am I after I get my last trophy. PVP has killed my interest in Destiny :(

At least wait till next week to see the sandbox changes before you quit.

funcojoe

I got - Hunter - 315 helm which i infused into a 310 helm.

Warlock - 319 nirwens mercy with a shit roll, infused into a 310 mida.

WipedOut

It has begun, Homeboyds conversion to the dark side.

I need help leveling this alt for him until he can get his PS4, who's up to running some missions?

I mainly play pvp since day one, hate raids and pve content. Went flawless in year one 10+ times but I hate the elimination game type. Imo it's way to slow and methodical. So I stopped trials , then year two came and I just had no one left to run trials with or even play with.

So I run pvp solo which is horrible but I still enjoy skirmish and clash. I hate objective games have since the days of halo ce on game spy arcade.

My kd went from 1.60 year one to 1.30 year two. I still have fun though.

I'm reading some replies and it seems some of you take this shit way too seriously. Studying game film? Really?

I say fuck it, play, have fun, and shoot what's in front of you. The more you try and play shit as a chess match the more you lose imo, just go with your instinct and natural ability.

Interesting opinion. Trials and PvP has definitely changed from year 1. But anyways in regards to recording yourself and having fun, a few things on that. First, I find that very fun. It's fun to see what happened from a more relaxed pov and to see mistakes that were made. Second, it's not like I record every single match and watch them all. I mainly record the Super sweaty matches, and definitely learn from them.

Trials is definitely like a chess match at times, and you cant plan for how the other team moves, you can only guess.

It's always about improving and things from watching how yourself moves and shoots, to decisions making on where you go and shoot, to communication. It all helps and anything I can improve to help myself and my team, is worth it for me. I have a lot of fun with all of that. Of course it's not for everyone but I'm super competitive and I want to get better as much as I can.

daedalius

IB is confirmed misery solo

I really need some inferno control/slayer, getting sniped right off the bat is totally deflating, ugh. I wish they would really cut back on secondary and heavy spawns, its just such a mess when rockets and HMGs come out.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

See you in 15. IB train commences soon.

funcojoe

Interesting opinion. Trials and PvP has definitely changed from year 1. But anyways in regards to recording yourself and having fun, a few things on that. First, I find that very fun. It's fun to see what happened from a more relaxed pov and to see mistakes that were made. Second, it's not like I record every single match and watch them all. I mainly record the Super sweaty matches, and definitely learn from them.

Trials is definitely like a chess match at times, and you cant plan for how the other team moves, you can only guess.

It's always about improving and things from watching how yourself moves and shoots, to decisions making on where you go and shoot, to communication. It all helps and anything I can improve to help myself and my team, is worth it for me. I have a lot of fun with all of that.

See that's why trials for me anyway became more frustration then fun. In year one the population allowed for my style of play, which was, screw my teammates I'll win on my own. Fast forward to year two and the player population drop of has left people at my skill level of not, ALOT better. Trials became very intense, and I'm a pretty intense guy who hates to lose, and it ended up with me pissing off friends and say screw it.

I knew with each passing month that the pvp count had to be dwindling because I was facing extremely talented players and the games went down to the wire. I was getting tired of having to try hard every single game. So much so I took a few weeks off for the first time to play fallout. I came back in dec and steadily have adapted to the fact that the casuals are gone. Or the sbmm is never going to allow me to play in that pool.

My issue is, I have two kids, and I'm a destiny pvp addict. I don't have time to run trials cards continuously over the weekend. I try and still manage at least 5 hours a day of pvp play. I just don't want it to be in elimination. I didn't mean to come of condescending about watching film. I am just in all honesty jealous that I don't have that time anymore.

As for trials, I'll never really enjoy it. I hate how it's played. I have been a tdm guy since goldeneye on n64. I enjoy knowing I can fuck up and not lose the round or game for my team. I tend to win the game for my team but in trials it's so different.

See that's why trials for me anyway became more frustration then fun. In year one the population allowed for my style of play, which was, screw my teammates I'll win on my own. Fast forward to year two and the player population drop of has left people at my skill level of not, ALOT better. Trials became very intense, and I'm a pretty intense guy who hates to lose, and it ended up with me pissing off friends and say screw it.

I knew with each passing month that the pvp count had to be dwindling because I was facing extremely talented players and the games went down to the wire. I was getting tired of having to try hard every single game. So much so I took a few weeks off for the first time to play fallout. I came back in dec and steadily have adapted to the fact that the casuals are gone. Or the sbmm is never going to allow me to play in that pool.

My issue is, I have two kids, and I'm a destiny pvp addict. I don't have time to run trials cards continuously over the weekend. I try and still manage at least 5 hours a day of pvp play. I just don't want it to be in elimination. I didn't mean to come of condescending about watching film. I am just in all honesty jealous that I don't have that time anymore.

As for trials, I'll never really enjoy it. I hate how it's played. I have been a tdm guy since goldeneye on n64. I enjoy knowing I can fuck up and not lose the round or game for my team. I tend to win the game for my team but in trials it's so different.

Mmmm Goldeneye on N64 were the days! I used to stay up all night until the next morning play that haha.

But yea, you hit it on the head with SBMM. It's been a huge topic and they're slowly going to CBMM. I can't keep track anymore what changed to CBMM but I know Control is now so it's pretty nice to not have to try hard every single match.

For me now, 6v6 is just way too much in current PvP Destiny. 3v3 is great and I think 4v4 would be perfect for TDM / Clash style. And objective based would probably work well with it too.

friday

I really didn't understand issue the sniper AA until this morning. I scoped in on a guy and made a horrid shot, like maybe near his feet, but then he died and I got a headshot kill. Dude wtf is that crap.

funcojoe

4v4 would be great.

I hate 6v6 but it's great for racking up some big kill games.

Skirmish is my favorite but heavy destroys it, 6 fucking players with heavy! Great idea! Or better yet 3 players on the same team with all the heavy ammo, lol.

There is a special place in hell for all the assholes who bail on a game because your team is down by a couple thousand points. Wish Bungie would do something about this

Should lose rep or marks if you disconnect. Or make the next game ineligible for you to get any if you disconnect. Something.

Top Bottom