• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Knowing Bungie theyre going to overnerf warlocks.

Remember Bungies rule of Balance: nerf everything to be homogeneous rather than buff the "weaker" classes to be more distinct and in line.

NeOak

T-44 just got a Grasp w/ Counterbalance, Fitted Stock, & Grenadier from a freaking random heroic strike.

d40X8Yl.png

lol grats to that lucky SOB

I just had a scary thought. With all the rumors of a PS4K, would Bungie have the new engine just for the PS4K? not for the PS4? The engine used for Destiny has been the biggest hurdle Bungie has had to deal with since launch. Mainly because they had to create an engine thst could support 2 generations of consoles. With the PS4K rumored to be out this winter, it makes me think that Bungie could put more of a focus on the newer hardware. It is just a thought, but not a pleasing one.

Easily play with friends and practice.

I'm learning to shotgun. It'd be a blast to learn playing against you & Igor.

It'd also take Crucible science to the next level. For example, we could actually test range drop off of various guns. We could explore maps outside of the chaos of battle. Every week before Trials I would load into the map and run around. Practice jumping and movement, etc.

As far as rewards, go, well, Ape.

/me puts on salt mines hat:

All of year 2 you've played for no rewards like shaders, emblems or weapon drops.

The Scarab was a reward I played for. The Trials shaders were rewards I played for. The CB Doctrine was also, a reward I played for.

Again, playing to run around and learn a map without getting anything just doesn't interest me. All the stuff I learned was from playing in the chaos. I prefer the real world experience. I just don't see the value there for me. I'd much rather just play Trials. All my intimate map knowledge comes from seeing what, theoretically, is the best of the best doing crazy stuff.

I was also never one to just run around on maps in any game to learn them. I would also always play ranked instead of custom.

Edit: And, my guess is the PvP community would further segment which is already becoming an issue without regular content drops.

I didn't originally read the original post about custom matches before I replied about shadestep glitch not being called out.

That saddens me they aren't mentioning custom matches.

sigh

The Scarab was a reward I played for. The Trials shaders were rewards I played for. The CB Doctrine was also, a reward I played for.

Again, playing to run around and learn a map without getting anything just doesn't interest me. All the stuff I learned was from playing in the chaos. I prefer the real world experience.

I was also never one to just run around on maps in any game to learn them. I would also always play ranked instead of custom.

99% of your matches weren't "rewarding". That percent is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for a loot game, so I hope it changes, but I guess my point isn't as salty as I snarkily made it out to be.

I like playing destiny, so the reward in the end is 100% intrinsic.

So considering how I'm not going to get any loot anyway, it's fun to play with friends. It's nice to have a space to practice. It's nice too for mixing it up with custom gametypes. (or never playing on Memento ever again.)

This week's Nightfall is a great example from the PvE side. Arc Burn + Small Arms? I had a blast! The rewards were shit, but I wanted to run it again, but I never can again after this week.

Edit: It's not a huge deal for me, btw. Just explaining why it'd be a "nice to have." It does have downsides like dev time used to develop & maintain it, as well as fragmenting the player base. But like you want real world practice, I want enjoyable time. I played hellish amounts of Halo 1-3 and there were no rewards, no XP, nothing. Just you, your gun and the chance to improve and have fun. My frustration with Destiny is that's in a very uncomfortable inbetween point. It doesn't have loot to make it a fun loot game. But it's still a loot game so you're still penalized for not having good gear.

Agent

So much Warlock hate around here. Sounds like a bunch of salt from Hunters and Titans for not choosing the superior Destiny class. :p
I have a Warlock, Hunter, and Titan

4ur9ODC.jpg

Quick question folks, if you'd be so kind.

Does Destiny offer much for a solo player? I don't have much gaming time available these days and certainly none of my friends have Destiny so playing co-op is pretty much not happening.

So it'll just be me. Worth dipping in? Or will I lose too much by playing solo?

Does Destiny offer much for a solo player? I don't have much gaming time available these days and certainly none of my friends have Destiny so playing co-op is pretty much not happening.

There is plenty for a person just coming into the fold.

Amazon has the Taken King with all expansion packs for $40 USD. Get the version that includes Base Destiny, House of Wolves, Dark Below, and Taken King.

The game has plenty of content solo, and will do some automatic matchmaking for certain higher level stuff, as well as for almost all of PvP.

The game has something like 60 missions, of which average about 15ish minutes each for first timers.

Ghazi

You'll be missing out on the best content in the game solo, which is the raids and Trials of Osiris. The main story(ies) of the game are easily doable solo, most everything else that isn't those is match made. I played through the whole game minus what I mentioned above alone.

Kalamari

Warlocks aren't getting chopped, if anything it will be just a few immaterial changes to cover up the fact that Bungie doesn't know how to balance the game.

Dthomp

Serious question, why do people want private/custom matches? What is the benefit?

In theory, you probably wouldn't get anything from it...no drops, no faction or crucible rep, bounties wouldn't count...

Is it just for tournaments and be able to easily play against other friends?

If custom matches offers no rewards like shaders, emblems, heck, even Strange Coins, I'm not sure I'd ever play it. I have zero desire to play against people I play with.

Yes, I do realize I am in the minority.

For me being a bad-average PVP player being able to experience the maps myself or with good teachers so I can see how I should watch for things and get a feel for the map without constantly being domed

Mindlog

I fully expect the Warlock adjustments to be small and even-handed. They definitely wouldn't screw over PvE by balancing for PvP. That won't happen. That one guy on the balance team definitely won't be part of some silly comment justifying the changes.

We'll probably get arcblade fixes and boosts to orb generation.
Also, Achlyophage Symbiote will get that stupid update rolled back. No one uses that garbage anymore. Achlyophage Symbiote doesn't make any damned sense in its current incarnation. If they really want to screw with it they should have increased duration, but still only 3 shots. Four shots in the span it takes to activate the power in the first place is pointless.

X-Frame

I wonder if Bungie is going to nerf the maximum Armor that Warlocks can attain in order to essentially nerf their maximum Armor w/ The Ram.

They allowed Strikers to maximize Armor so maybe they'll allow Warlocks to maximize Recovery at the expense of reduced Armor. Or can Warlocks already max Recovery?

My Guess for Warlocks:

1) Stormtrance won't last as long.
2) Nerf to either Warlock melee range OR RIP Firebolts OR Voidwalker buff.

They do need to fix blade dancers health regen when burned. Burn trumps health regen which is silly

Trakan

Knowing Bungie theyre going to overnerf warlocks.

Remember Bungies rule of Balance: nerf everything to be homogeneous rather than buff the "weaker" classes to be more distinct and in line.

I think it really depends on the situation. Sunbreaker was and Stormtrance currently is king of the Supers. Do you really want the others brought up to them? Do you really want other classes brought up to the equivalent of Viking Funeral firebolts?

I don't.

We all saw what happened when they had to acknowledge the multishot glitch

They initially ignored it
Then they disabled it

Then like 2 months later they fixed it

It might be quietly fixed and swept under the rug like the old Warlock self res glitch. It was never mentioned in patch notes.

Just because you hate something doesn't mean it should be nerfed :)

Eh, most of the time when people hate something it's because it needs a nerf. Nobody ever said "That Universal Remote sure is OP."

There were a couple interesting tidbits from that old Luke-penned update. For one thing I appreciated that he could get away with this line when talking about community feedback:

there haven’t been nearly as many Whambulance-related mails for Halo 3 as there were for Halo 2

Luke was talking about how they curbed in-game cheating which led to fewer complaints, but Deej would get crucified for referring to any community complaints as the "Whambulance." As a non-Halo kid, the other detail that jumped out was how there used to be player-controlled MM settings depending on if you were willing to wait longer for a better match:

In order to access “Prefer Good Connection,” the host for a matchmaking game needs to press X once at the Matchmaking Menu to adjust “Matchmaking Options.” This will bring up a menu that includes “Quickest,” “Good Connection,” and “My Language.” Scroll down to the option you want to use in Matchmaking and Press A.

Like Kor posted earlier, I'd be more than happy to wait longer between matches if I could get less lag, especially on those late-card Trials games. Anyway, interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

There is plenty for a person just coming into the fold.

Amazon has the Taken King with all expansion packs for $40 USD. Get the version that includes Base Destiny, House of Wolves, Dark Below, and Taken King.

The game has plenty of content solo, and will do some automatic matchmaking for certain higher level stuff, as well as for almost all of PvP.

The game has something like 60 missions, of which average about 15ish minutes each for first timers.

You'll be missing out on the best content in the game solo, which is the raids and Trials of Osiris. The main story(ies) of the game are easily doable solo, most everything else that isn't those is match made. I played through the whole game minus what I mentioned above alone.

Thanks peeps :)

Mindlog

My Guess for Warlocks:

1) Stormtrance won't last as long.
2) Nerf to either Warlock melee range OR RIP Firebolts OR Voidwalker buff.

They do need to fix blade dancers health regen when burned. Burn trumps health regen which is silly
1. Definitely Stormcaller duration reduction.
2a. Probably a nerf to all melee range.
2b. And a nerf to Firebolts and Radiance duration
2c. Shatter only produces 2 projectiles, all explosion radii reduced by 50%, orb generation reduced by 25%, blink cooldown increased by 25%, blink distance reduced by 50%, Axion Bolt speed reduced by 90% and finally all Warlock base armor reduced by 20%.

E92 M3

Eh, most of the time when people hate something it's because it needs a nerf. Nobody ever said "That Universal Remote sure is OP."

Completely untrue, people hate weapons that cause an emotional reaction. Getting killed by a commonly available gun elicits those emotions. Most of the time complaining for nerfs is unfounded by any sort of data.

There were a couple interesting tidbits from that old Luke-penned update. For one thing I appreciated that he could get away with this line when talking about community feedback:

Luke was talking about how they curbed in-game cheating which led to fewer complaints, but Deej would get crucified for referring to any community complaints as the "Whambulance." As a non-Halo kid, the other detail that jumped out was how there used to be player-controlled MM settings depending on if you were willing to wait longer for a better match:

Like Kor posted earlier, I'd be more than happy to wait longer between matches if I could get less lag, especially on those late-card Trials games. Anyway, interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I'd LOVE to wait longer if that meant less lag, for sure.

1. Definitely Stormcaller duration reduction.
2a. Probably a nerf to all melee range.
2b. And a nerf to Firebolts and Radiance duration
2c. Shatter only produces 2 projectiles, all explosion radii reduced by 50%, orb generation reduced by 25%, blink cooldown increased by 25%, blink distance reduced by 50%, Axion Bolt speed reduced by 90% and finally all Warlock base armor reduced by 20%.

2b, radiance duration sounds more like what they'll do. Since they already nerfed Firebolts, maybe they won't touch that anymore haha. 2c, Base armor for warlocks, I can see that one too.

99% of your matches weren't "rewarding". That percent is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for a loot game, so I hope it changes, but I guess my point isn't as salty as I snarkily made it out to be.

I like playing destiny, so the reward in the end is 100% intrinsic.

So considering how I'm not going to get any loot anyway, it's fun to play with friends. It's nice to have a space to practice. It's nice too for mixing it up with custom gametypes. (or never playing on Memento ever again.)

This week's Nightfall is a great example from the PvE side. Arc Burn + Small Arms? I had a blast! The rewards were shit, but I wanted to run it again, but I never can again after this week.

Edit: It's not a huge deal for me, btw. Just explaining why it'd be a "nice to have." It does have downsides like dev time used to develop & maintain it, as well as fragmenting the player base. But like you want real world practice, I want enjoyable time. I played hellish amounts of Halo 1-3 and there were no rewards, no XP, nothing. Just you, your gun and the chance to improve and have fun. My frustration with Destiny is that's in a very uncomfortable inbetween point. It doesn't have loot to make it a fun loot game. But it's still a loot game so you're still penalized for not having good gear.

I disagree with your notion of "rewarding". Just because I didn't get that GOD ROLL WEAPON drop at the end of a match doesn't meant I didn't get a reward. Yes, sometimes you get nothing at all, but aside from that you still usually get something. I will gladly take SC, motes, weapons/armor to dismantle for parts,exp, etc...All that stuff is useful for me in some capacity. Would I much rather have the weapon drop? Obviously yes, but I am still getting some type of "reward" at the end.

Yes, we need more frequent drops across the board for sure.

I actually think one of the brilliant things TTK did is have a lot of the good weapons available through quests and vendors. Again, I am in the minority here, I know. But the ability to just get the Hung Jury from DO and then do a quest for an awesome shotgun is perfect to me. I'd much rather have that than deal with RNG from the raid. I still don't have the VoG fusion or PR.

For me being a bad-average PVP player being able to experience the maps myself or with good teachers so I can see how I should watch for things and get a feel for the map without constantly being domed

I get that. However you are learning something when you get domed each time. You're learning where sniper lanes are. It's kind of a crappy way to learn, but as long as you take note of where that sniper was, you will being to always think about that when you're on that map.

Trakan

Completely untrue, people hate weapons that cause an emotional reaction. Getting killed by a commonly available gun elicits those emotions. Most of the time complaining for nerfs is unfounded by any sort of data.

OP weapons usually cause that reaction. You'll have to give me some examples because in my experience over the years, most of the weapons that are complained about actually need adjusting.

E92 M3

OP weapons usually cause that reaction. You'll have to give me some examples because in my experience over the years, most of the weapons that are complained about actually need adjusting.

We'll keep it simple (been playing FPS for too many years) snipers are not that bad, and most users don't find dominant success with them. The good players are just a big nuisance - but that's ok.

Certainly not nerf worthy.

NeOak

Sure, because the 1KYS doesn't have that high AA, right?

Next thing you will tell me is that the Conspiracy Theory-D with Ragefinder having a larger effective range is unfounded too.

As Kor and Ghazi mentioned, it's definitely worthwhile solo if your expectations are geared accordingly. For the Destiny hardcore (like most of us in DGAF), the social/co-op experiences are the main reason we've dropped hundreds or even thousands of hours into the game. Obviously that won't happen solo, but it could still be a lot of fun if you approach it like a typical single-player FPS. Something you do for 15-20 hours to enjoy the gunplay, art and sound design, etc.

Solo the story missions at your own pace, then try some match-made activities like the strike playlist if you're still interested. Just ignore all the MMO-ish systems like daily bounties, reputation grinding etc.

I think part of the reason the reception is different is the amount of useful information that was put in that update as opposed to what we see in current updates. Whether it's Deej's fault or not, current updates have an air of vagueness and the attitude that "Bungie knows best." Overall the goodwill between Bungie and the community seems to have eroded resulting in the more antagonistic back and forth between the two.

NeOak

I miss Luke. Hell, when Frankie used to do the weekly updates he was his usual self, just like he is in Halo GAF.

Deej is... idk. I don't bother.

E92 M3

Sure, because the 1KYS doesn't have that high AA, right?

Next thing you will tell me is that the Conspiracy Theory-D with Ragefinder having a larger effective range is unfounded too.

The AA is grossly overstated. Empirically (as Bungie stated multiple times), the guns perform fine. The majority of players aren't sniper gods.

Trakan

The AA is grossly overstated. Empirically (as Bungie stated multiple times), the guns perform fine. The majority of players aren't sniper gods.

Bungie also said they want everyone to be equals regardless of skill. Everyone should have a 1:1 K/D and a 1:1 win ratio. "Data" can be misleading.

There's plenty of times I miss a headshot and barely miss them by a few pixels left or right of their head. AA would typically get that as a headshot, I'd imagine.

It would be fun to test AA on snipers via Custom Matches. Hoping they actually surprise us with Custom Matches but not going to expect it of course. I think it's more or less when the gun or guardian is moving, then AA seems to just nail them in the head at crazy times but hard to test in a live environment.

I disagree with your notion of "rewarding". Just because I didn't get that GOD ROLL WEAPON drop at the end of a match doesn't meant I didn't get a reward. Yes, sometimes you get nothing at all, but aside from that you still usually get something. I will gladly take SC, motes, weapons/armor to dismantle for parts,exp, etc...All that stuff is useful for me in some capacity. Would I much rather have the weapon drop? Obviously yes, but I am still getting some type of "reward" at the end.

I guess I don't consider materials or currencies that rewarding. Especially as implemented in Destiny. They don't allow you to do anything interesting or powerful. They don't change my gameplay. I don't need a drop to be a God roll to be rewarding, but if I'm getting enough of them, then I can find stuff that's interesting or different to use. Or even if they're not, in other games I could transmog, and still be happy for a drop I'd never use.

The drops you mentioned: SC, motes, weapons/armor parts, etc. are just friction for things I do already. Like I want to upgrade a new armor piece. Well, I have to pay for that privilege, in terms of a random assortment of thingabobs and wodgets. Compare to Diablo 3 where mats finance re-rolling or all this awesome stuff:

• Extract Legendary Power
  • Reforge Legendary Item
  • Upgrade Rare Item
  • Convert Set Item
  • Remove Level Requirement
  • Convert Gem Type
  • Convert Crafting Materials
  • Portal: Not the Cow Level
  • Portal: The Vault
Materials in Destiny gate you. Materials in Diablo empower you.

Think about Xplicit over this weekend, who wanted to play more Trials, but couldn't because he didn't have Passage Coins. How dumb is that?

Per your other statement about Quest & Vendor based rewards, you're absolutely right! Bungie correctly got told by the Diablo 3 team that RNG isn't fun. (Not sure why drops now are triple RNG, but whatever). I just wish that drops were there so that Quests/Vendors weren't the only source of good loot.

E92 M3

Bungie also said they want everyone to be equals regardless of skill. Everyone should have a 1:1 K/D and a 1:1 win ratio. "Data" can be misleading.

That's a utopia for someone that does matchmaking engineering lol. Bungie should be focusing on revitalizing PVP instead of nerfing weapons.

We need to return to HoW levels.

Materials in Destiny gate you. Materials in Diablo empower you.

Think about Xplicit over this weekend, who wanted to play more Trials, but couldn't because he didn't have Passage Coins. How dumb is that?

Passage coins irks me. Winning should net you some (other than bounties) and losing should just net you more.

I have 2 coins so it's really silly right now.

NeOak

uh-huh.

And Thorn was performing fine. The majority wasn't good with HCs.

Hawkmoon was fine too. The majority wasn't good with HCs.

The SUROS Regime was performing fine. The majority didn't use it.

Kanai's Cube is so amazing in Diablo 3. I wonder how it could be implemented in Destiny:

• Extract Legendary Power
    Extract perk from weapon or armor to use as an Artifact​
  • Reforge Legendary Item
    If we can't have a fun drop rate, we need rerolling. Maybe limited like in Diablo to just one perk.​
  • Upgrade Rare Item
    There are so many awesome blue weapons, armors, class items that are just wasted. I would love to see move variety here.​
  • Convert Set Item
    No more #Forever29 because you can't get a helmet. Would also let you re-roll raid gear in effect.​
  • Remove Level Requirement
    Probably not super helpful, but could make starting a new character fun.​
  • Convert Gem Type
    The Speaker/Xur already do this.​
  • Convert Crafting Materials
    The Speaker/Xur already do this.​
  • Portal: Not the Cow Level
    Would love for their to be secret levels based on consummables in Destiny​
  • Portal: The Vault
    Would love for their to be secret levels based on consummables in Destiny​

I remember when we were all upset at Year 1 Thorn and Final Round Sniper and Blink Shotgunners and couldn't wait for a patch.

I mean honestly if they just nerfed Thorn and they already fixed Final Round, I think it would be fine. (And 111 TLW crits, which def needed fixing).

It's sad that the majority seems to miss year 1 pvp. I want TLW and Hawkmoon back to its previous glory.

Top Bottom