• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Arrrammis

I really hope that rather than straight up nerfing warlocks, they find some kind of endgame niche for them. Hunters can go invisible or tether enemies for CC/Damage boost, Titans can throw down bubbles that give huge stat boosts or run around throwing hammers at targets, wrecking everything. Warlocks? All they can really do is hold a self-res in reserve (which really contributes nothing to the team, a super that you use more often is much more useful), chuck a relatively small radius bomb, or runaround with a close range CC attack. The more contributing thing they can do is the Sunsinger ability that speed up recharge rate for all allies, and even that isn't extremely useful since most people use guns instead of grenades/melee.

The AA is grossly overstated. Empirically (as Bungie stated multiple times), the guns perform fine. The majority of players aren't sniper gods.

If they won't nerf the snI per AA the I really hope we get a buff on scouts and hand cannons. Bring back the Hawkmoon to year one greatness and while they are at it just bring back Thorn too. Would really change up those snipers who just camp.

E92 M3

uh-huh.

And Thorn was performing fine. The majority wasn't good with HCs.

Hawkmoon was fine too. The majority wasn't good with HCs.

The SUROS Regime was performing fine. The majority didn't use it.

I'd be happy with everything being strong and crazy. Modern Warfare 2 is still the best multiplayer yet :)

Nerfing snipers would revitalize PVP for me.

Fair enough, but I never think nerfs make anything better

If they won't nerf the snI per AA the I really hope we get a buff on scouts and hand cannons. Bring back the Hawkmoon to year one greatness and while they are at it just bring back Thorn too. Would really change up those snipers who just camp.

Yes, those need to be buffed a tad.

Thorn is a bit too crazy, though.

There's plenty of times I miss a headshot and barely miss them by a few pixels left or right of their head. AA would typically get that as a headshot, I'd imagine.

Those are two different things actually. What you're talking about is "bullet magnetism" where the shots will actually curve to connect an off-target shot. Like you observed, sniper shots don't curve at all in Destiny, no bullet magnetism.

The AA that people talk about is reticle tracking and reticle slowdown. Tracking is how your reticle will stick to targets, like when you're aiming at one guy and another guy running past causes your reticle to stick and track with that guy. Slowdown is how the reticle movement speed reduces when moving over a target, which gives you an extra split-second to pull the trigger and still be on target. Slowdown is what makes swipe-snipes (quickly flicking the reticle towards an enemy, aka pulling a Krafty) relatively easy in Destiny. That's also why people who line up shots instead of swiping might prefer using lower-AA snipers.

th3dude

Knowing Bungie theyre going to overnerf warlocks.

Remember Bungies rule of Balance: nerf everything to be homogeneous rather than buff the "weaker" classes to be more distinct and in line.

Oh you absolutely know it.

Sunbreaker. Never forget.

Why Bungie can't take a lesson from Diablo 3 in this regard is beyond me. Blanket nerfs make the game less fun, and they usually overnerf.

I remember when we were all upset at Year 1 Thorn and Final Round Sniper and Blink Shotgunners and couldn't wait for a patch.

I mean honestly if they just nerfed Thorn and they already fixed Final Round, I think it would be fine. (And 111 TLW crits, which def needed fixing).

It's sad that the majority seems to miss year 1 pvp. I want TLW and Hawkmoon back to its previous glory.

August 9, 2015. The day I got my Hopscotch Pilgrim.

CMAmnyVUEAIxy0R.jpg

It was a long road. And I did enjoy it. Would have loved for it to come back in Year 2, especially if Thorn is returning.

Trakan

I'd be happy with everything being strong and crazy. Modern Warfare 2 is still the best multiplayer yet :)

MW2 is my favorite multiplayer game as well. The thing is, while everything was powerful, it was also mostly balanced that way as well. There were a couple of things that were straight up broken though. Are you honestly a fan of OMA noob tubes and Commando knife ranges? I don't know anyone who was.

Do you really want Thorn back peforming the way it did? You want TLW 111 bug with infinite range? You want people wasting sniper shots just to proc that 1 shot body kill?

I remember when we were all upset at Year 1 Thorn and Final Round Sniper and Blink Shotgunners and couldn't wait for a patch.

I mean honestly if they just nerfed Thorn and they already fixed Final Round, I think it would be fine. (And 111 TLW crits, which def needed fixing).

It's sad that the majority seems to miss year 1 pvp. I want TLW and Hawkmoon back to its previous glory.

They balanced horribly coming off of that. Thorn was the worst offender and they destroyed all other hand cannons because of it, and Thorn remained the best handcannon. Literally all they have to do to fix Thorn now is to just make it have slow RoF not fast. They absolutely destroyed TLW by hitting it with the handcannon nerf, the Y1 perk nerf, and the huge handcannon accuracy nerf.

The subtle changes like range and accuracy being tied together along with changes in matchmaking have really hurt PvP. If Bungie would do monthly or bimonthly balancing we'd be much better off. They need to be more reactive to fan criticism too. It doesn't matter if statistically a weapon is fine, if it doesn't feel fine then it should be changed. The perception is more important than the cold numbers.

Those are two different things actually. What you're talking about is "bullet magnetism" where the shots will actually curve to connect an off-target shot. Like you observed, sniper shots don't curve at all in Destiny, no bullet magnetism.

The AA that people talk about is reticle tracking and reticle slowdown. Tracking is how your reticle will stick to targets, like when you're aiming at one guy and another guy running past causes your reticle to stick and track with that guy. Slowdown is how the reticle movement speed reduces when moving over a target, which gives you an extra split-second to pull the trigger and still be on target. Slowdown is what makes swipe-snipes (quickly flicking the reticle towards an enemy, aka pulling a Krafty) relatively easy in Destiny. That's also why people who line up shots instead of swiping might prefer using lower-AA snipers.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks.

The slowdown is similar to when your cursor is moving through the director on a clickable object versus empty space.

I want to test these things!

They balanced horribly coming off of that. Thorn was the worst offender and they destroyed all other hand cannons because of it, and Thorn remained the best handcannon. Literally all they have to do to fix Thorn now is to just make it have slow RoF not fast. They absolutely destroyed TLW by hitting it with the handcannon nerf, the Y1 perk nerf, and the huge handcannon accuracy nerf.

The subtle changes like range and accuracy being tied together along with changes in matchmaking have really hurt PvP. If Bungie would do monthly or bimonthly balancing we'd be much better off. They need to be more reactive to fan criticism too. It doesn't matter if statistically a weapon is fine, if it doesn't feel fine then it should be changed. The perception is more important than the cold numbers.

I wish I can make the bolded bigger because yea, the biggest problem is doing weapon balance changes all at once instead of in phases. And statistics are awesome and all but it definitely doesn't paint the whole picture, especially in the way they seem to use it.

Play more with me and I guarantee your passage coin amount will increase!

LOL all I want is to be able to get them from winning as well. They should never have stopped it being guaranteed from PvP daily.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks.

The slowdown is similar to when your cursor is moving through the director on a clickable object versus empty space.

I want to test these things!

Yep, exactly. That "mouse cursor" slowdown is a UI design feature they talked about in the recent GDC presentation.

E92 M3

MW2 is my favorite multiplayer game as well. The thing is, while everything was powerful, it was also mostly balanced that way as well. There were a couple of things that were straight up broken though. Are you honestly a fan of OMA noob tubes and Commando knife ranges? I don't know anyone who was.

Do you really want Thorn back peforming the way it did? You want TLW 111 bug with infinite range? You want people wasting sniper shots just to proc that 1 shot body kill?

I didn't encounter too many OMA noob tubes, but used to play a very stealthy class lol. Trust me, getting killed by a noobtube before my nuke always pissed me off lol

August 9, 2015. The day I got my Hopscotch Pilgrim.

CMAmnyVUEAIxy0R.jpg

It was a long road. And I did enjoy it. Would have loved for it to come back in Year 2, especially if Thorn is returning.

This along with Grasp of Malok makes me sad.

I lost count of how many strikes I did but got ZERO HPs.

I did about 4 hours of Omnigul farm and got ZERO Grasps.

Like damn strikes are at least different but both are super boring farms. There should just be a way to obtain them in a not-boring fashion, how hard is that?

stay gold

Put me in the camp that says buff primaries and the sniper problem will sort itself.

In Y1 we had Final Round and snipers that could wallbang, and they were not complained about as much as they are now lol.

Dalek

I want to run through Prison of Elders and just get the Exotics that I never earned from them-just to check them off on my list.

Is the best way to just play over and over? Do they drop at the lower levels? Do Three of Coins help?

Sunsingers do need looking at but not to the degree that everyones crying for.

Most of the issues come about because of trials but thats not a sunsingers fault its the fact that you bear down the same worn out path a minimum of 35 times. If you play Skirmish regularly firebolts are way less effective than the slow plodding nature of trials

Sunsingers

1) Firebolt initial damage brought up and DoT reduced by half
2) Flameshield reduced to 7 seconds
3) Radiance looks like its getting a nerf to 10 seconds from the preview vids

Stormcallers

1) Remove transcendence
2) Buff grenades to make Arc Web a viable option instead of electrostatic mind

Voidwalkers

1) Buff grenades
2) Increase melee range inline with the other two

On an unrelated note fix the sprint cool down before I mash another L3 stick into oblivion

--Complete 5 wins on FFA (top 3), 1x 6v6 mode , and 1x 3v3 mode with at least 1 MVP on your team.
--Accumulate 50 kills, 50 assists total.
--Survive a near death 2x (near death medal, i think)
--Achieve a double kill 2x.
--10 kills/ast per Primary type
--10 kills/ast per Secondary type

Some combination of those, similar to shaxx bounties to get a PvP-related "Nightfall" drop (these need to be packages as well).

I guess seperating pvp and pve would be the best OR just having separate stats for each.

If I'm trying to get a gun good for PvP, I should be able to do PvP to try to get it.

Voidwalkers

2) Increase melee range inline with the other two

Christ I hope not. But I'm a Titan and sick and tired of getting meleed from across the map, especially by Stormlocks.

This is from the Titan balance update:

First up: Melee Range. We are extending base Melee range for all Titans. It would take another few pages to explain the entire sordid history of Class balance that led us to the current situation with Titan Melee vs. the other Classes. Let's just say that I agree that the Titans should be the primary Melee Class, but that’s not going to happen overnight. We are not touching the melee for the other Classes, but we are extending the Titan's Melee range from 4m to 4.5m (a gain of 12.5%). This should improve the feeling of having short, little, inadequate T-Rex arms.​

I would expect range nerfs tomorrow.

I really hope that rather than straight up nerfing warlocks, they find some kind of endgame niche for them. Hunters can go invisible or tether enemies for CC/Damage boost, Titans can throw down bubbles that give huge stat boosts or run around throwing hammers at targets, wrecking everything. Warlocks? All they can really do is hold a self-res in reserve (which really contributes nothing to the team, a super that you use more often is much more useful), chuck a relatively small radius bomb, or runaround with a close range CC attack. The more contributing thing they can do is the Sunsinger ability that speed up recharge rate for all allies, and even that isn't extremely useful since most people use guns instead of grenades/melee.

Yeah, this was a big missed opportunity with the new TTK subclasses. Hunters got the strong PvE class they needed but Warlocks got something that only excels at clearing trash mobs, which isn't important for high-level PvE. Defenders still have the only ability that buffs teammate DPS (Weapons of Light), while Nightstalkers and Sunbreakers both got enemy armor reductions (Shadowshot and Melting Point) that effectively buff DPS.

Warlocks needed a DPS buff ability but instead are stuck with self-res. It's definitely a useful PvE ability, especially when underleveled, but it's only "optimal" for crazy high-level stuff like solo'ing Oryx.

X-Frame

Great post, I completely agree. Bungie did it once with Auto Rifles where they nerfed the whole class because of SUROS and here they did it again nerfing all Handcannons because of Thorn / TLW / Hawkmoon. Never did I ever hear someone complain about Legendary Handcannons.

I always felt like Bungie is 2 months too late for balance changes. They make these sweeping adjustments that affect too much at once and there are always issues. Those issues never take longer than a few weeks or a month to surface. 1 additional month after that and it becomes a problem and 2 months and everyone is dying for changes.

Thorn can still 3-bodyshot players after the 2.1 update? Push a hotfix 1 week later to scale that back slightly to require 1 headshot.

They overnerfed Hawkmoon in 2.1? 1 week after compromise by giving 50% of the Range they shaved off back and see how the community feels.

Those are just specific examples where I felt like they did not need to take this long to address and could've been done long ago. Also, fusion rifles.

Christ I hope not. But I'm a Titan and sick and tired of getting meleed from across the map, especially by Stormlocks.

First up: Melee Range. We are extending base Melee range for all Titans. It would take another few pages to explain the entire sordid history of Class balance that led us to the current situation with Titan Melee vs. the other Classes. Let's just say that I agree that the Titans should be the primary Melee Class, but that’s not going to happen overnight. We are not touching the melee for the other Classes, but we are extending the Titan's Melee range from 4m to 4.5m (a gain of 12.5%). This should improve the feeling of having short, little, inadequate T-Rex arms.​

But everyone hates stuff about the other classes, personally I find it stupid that shoulder charge is a OHK when my melee isn't and once a striker hits his super animation its impossible to take him out of it

tomorrow?

Oh I'm also super curious what they're going to do with Special Ammo, because it's pretty messed up right now.

My guess?

"You want to switch from Ice Breaker or sidearm to primary? Well now you get 0 special".

I don't think I like the special ammo change, which was the original intention. The better team will get special ammo and dominate. But we'll see what they decide. I understand wanting primary guns to be used more. Maybe you can just eliminate special for the first 2-3 rounds all together. Eliminate heavy round completely. And we'll have more primary gun fights (of course this example is for Trials).

Trials can go 9 rounds in a match. First team to win 5.

When a team gets 3 rounds won OR it's round 5, whichever comes first, spawns should rotate. OR, Spawns rotate every single round. It only makes it fair on asymmetrical maps.

But everyone hates stuff about the other classes, personally I find it stupid that shoulder charge is a OHK when my melee isn't and once a striker hits his super animation its impossible to take him out of it

Shoulder charge is way more finicky and risky than you'd think. (although slide shoulder charge is BS.) And I kill Titans in the middle of their smash all the time. It's hard, but it should be hard since it's not a roaming super.

tomorrow?

Sorry. Wednesday. And then really on Thursday, when we find out what was actually true during the live stream. But really when the patch hits and we find out it as all .004% anyway.

LTWood12

My money is on a sizable buff to low-ROF auto rifles; making everyone all the more salty when Shadow Price and Grim Citizen refuse to drop from packages.

Those are just specific examples where I felt like they did not need to take this long to address and could've been done long ago. Also, fusion rifles.

Yeah there's the tendency to overcorrect since they infrequently do balancing. Doing everything at once means nerfing a dominant gun and then making a new gun op in comparison.

Also I completely forgot about fusion rifles. I feel like they've been completely abandoned. If nothing else I'd love for then to get a big PvE buff so they are useful again, because they are a lot of fun.

Yeah there's the tendency to overcorrect since they infrequently do balancing. Doing everything at once means nerfing a dominant gun and then making a new gun op in comparison.

Also I completely forgot about fusion rifles. I feel like they've been completely abandoned. If nothing else I'd love for then to get a big PvE buff so they are useful again, because they are a lot of fun.

true!!

It's actually two days from now, but they'll announce the changes during their Wednesday Twitch stream. Of course they won't take effect until the April 12 update.

edit: BeatenbyMars

edit2: I used the wrong "effect," now Ocean can shame my English.

You're talking to me? :D

Yeah, I knew about all that - just thought maybe someone got mixed up about the date the update was dropping. I really think people are going to be mostly happy with the changes tbh.

stay gold

Titans being the best melee class would be moronic.They'd be way overpowered.

If we're going by that logic Hunters should be the fastest class. How many Titans would be willing to give up skating to make that a reality I wonder?

Titans being the best melee class would be moronic.They'd be way overpowered.

If we're going by that logic Hunters should be the fastest class. How many Titans would be willing to give up skating to make that a reality I wonder?

Exactly all things considered I don't think we're a million miles from subclass balance

Bring Hawkmoon/TLW/HCs back to just below HoWs levels, unnerf the nirwens archetype and buff the Suros archetype and everything would be viable

My list from last OT I think (oh yea, from here):

WANT:
  • PvP Custom Matches [DeeJ said nope....booo]
  • Loadouts
  • Rotating Vendor Items with rerolled gear/weapons
  • Not getting kicked out of Inventory Screen for 814 times before actually landing and spawning
  • More Vault and Inventory Space [DONE!!! At least Vault]
  • Ability to categorize/order inteventory/vault by weapon type, weapon level, etc.
  • Join back Trials match that was booted from.
  • Join back previous pvp matchmade session or pve strike that was booted from.
  • NO RNG ON TOP OF RNG.
  • Similar Infusion System from HoW (no 80% crap) [DONE!!!]
  • Way Better guns and better gear.... wtb Carrots again
  • Elemental primaries (elements weren't the problem, the perks versus kinetic, were).
  • Fix Special Ammo glitching (ice Breaker/sidearm/invective and switching weapons when dead) [might be done....]
  • LIGHT FIX. 170 IB should never ever 1 shot a guardian that's 300+. Light barely matters in modes where light matters (makes 0 sense).
  • Fix shadestep glitch [no word on this yet, hopefully tomorrow.....]
  • Dedicated servers or netcode fix or both or whatever.

Top Bottom