• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

E92 M3

700 people work at Bungie, but working on multiple subclasses at once is:

In this case it's a matter of timing and resources. We feel the best approach is one step at a time, if that makes sense.​

Newsk & Sage don't work on the live team. They work on the next Expansion or the Sequel. That's literally why they said they didn't do any updates in Year 1. They needed these teams to focus on Taken King. Based on Destiny 2's delay and the need to create something for this fall, I bet that the focus internally is entirely on this Fall and Destiny 2. Anything else is a distraction.

This update reeks to me of "We can shift focus to this free update for 1-2 weeks. And what can we do in that time?"

That's how you get an answer that Firebolt + Viking Grenades is OP but "it'd take too much work to fix." Or "we can only balance one class at a time."

That's how you get half-assed changes like the special ammo fixes.

That's how you get weapons balancing that no body considers for PvE.

That's how you get an update that's all reskins.

700 people working on the next version of the game that they can sell and "quarterly" balances that are actually once every 5(!) months. And then 6 people for 2 weeks for the April update.

Bungie never had to care about the live game for Halo. There were 12 guns and they just had to make small tweaks. That's why they think these half-measures and misunderstandings are good. They either have no clue (unlikely) OR they are terrified of making sure they nail the next release that they actually have to sell. That will get reviewed on Metacritic.

That's exactly it, John.

How many times will they resin the same armor. Damn.

Also just played a match against Nghtly and a full squad of his homies in zone control so that sucked. I was disappointed to see a few of them using year one weapons like her benevolence and Thorn.

Breezy, you have my vote.

#BreezyForBungiePresident

P3rz1by.gif

Glad Krafty got some wider recognition but who the fuck thinks of those questions? Also a shout out to our very own cloud for the ran out of medals on Anomaly

X-Frame

Did we figure out why Thorn was ticking for 7 DoT sometimes at the beginning of the stream and 2 DoT ticks otherwise?

My first thought was its now 7 DoT to the head to encourage headshots but 2 DoT to the body, but they never mentioned it.

Does solar DoT like from a Firebolts add to Thorn's DoT or something instead of showing 2 separate numbers ticking at the same time?

Also just played a match against Nghtly and a full squad of his homies in zone control so that sucked. I was disappointed to see a few of them using year one weapons like her benevolence and Thorn.

Yep matched them plus SaturdayNights the last time Zone Control was around. Most of them were running Thorn and Matador.

Mindlog

How many decks did he have to suck for that?

All the decks

I would love for Kraftyy to play with some games with Bungie.
RK: I'm a Last Word and 1000 Yard Stare kind of guy. Sniping in Destiny is the more fun way for me to play in the Crucible. I will say that, in year one Destiny, I used to run around with a Light/Beware and the Fusion Rifle play style is super fun and appealing to me. I just wish they were in a better spot. Thorn? THORN? Thorn is the worst and most annoying gun that has been in any game ever.
shdKT56.gif

Fusion Rifle fam.

stay gold

They were checking out your Zarinea on stream lol.

Nghtly is way too chill, everything he uses got a nerf and he's like "meh, it'll be fine"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So is Thorn coming back or is this just applying to regular crucible which ultimately doesn't really apply to most people these days.

Did we figure out why Thorn was ticking for 7 DoT sometimes at the beginning of the stream and 2 DoT ticks otherwise?

My first thought was its now 7 DoT to the head to encourage headshots but 2 DoT to the body, but they never mentioned it.

Does solar DoT like from a Firebolts add to Thorn's DoT or something instead of showing 2 separate numbers ticking at the same time?

Well, he was burning at the time so maybe it was a firebolt that was actually ticking and not the thorn?

So is Thorn coming back or is this just applying to regular crucible which ultimately doesn't really apply to most people these days.

The latter.

stay gold

I think they'll want to test the waters with Thorn before bringing it forward given how much whining generally accompanies it. I don't see why they shouldn't though, the DoT looked to wear off really quick.

They were checking out your Zarinea on stream lol.

Nghtly is way too chill, everything he uses got a nerf and he's like "meh, it'll be fine"

Now I feel special lol. I just picked it up from the gunsmith and I think it might be decent once the Doctrine tier is toned down.

I don't know if that's an actual reskin or just a new shader?

I didn't think of the shader possibility. Either way I don't much care for the aesthetics of it, plus shader drop rates are ridiculously low in trials.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Even during year one I thought Thorn was okay since you had TLW and Hawkmoon to counter and rival them. Just basically bring all these weapons back to their regular old self but nerf the ranges and call it a day.

LTWood12

How is the MIDA change a big deal? It seems it will be the same from the users side?

'big' is a moving target, but HCR was cool because it wasn't actually taking up a perk slot, and to me, it's part of what makes it a really good PvE primary. Staggering enemies is really effective for controlling engagements, and it being a 'free' perk is part of what makes the weapon feel exotic. Yet another PvE sacrifice at the alter of PvP.

It's not a huge deal, but it just seems like anything interesting gets gradually eroded until everything feels samey.

spyder_ur

Man people are out for developer blood this week between this and the Division.

Am I the only one who thinks the changes they talked about are both reasonable and measured?

I'd be disappointed with the MIDA stuff if they weren't toning down Snipers too.

Change changes nothing. So let's makes camping more camping.

This is probably the least campy shooter I've ever played.

LTWood12

Man people are out for developer blood between this and the Division.

Am I the only one who thinks the changes they talked about are both reasonable and measured?

This is probably the least campy shooter I've ever played.

There's a lot of reasonable criticism in between the hyperbole. But the hyperbole is what sticks out.

Homeboyd

Man people are out for developer blood between this and the Division.

Yeah I don't really care much either way. New stuff will float to the top. Rinse and repeat.

Even during year one I thought Thorn was okay since you had TLW and Hawkmoon to counter and rival them. Just basically bring all these weapons back to their regular old self but nerf the ranges and call it a day.
And then they nerfed the last word

"Slams head against desk"

I'll be mad about the Mida nerf when there are still snipers with bottomless ammo everywhere Because Bungie Reasons, but if 75% of Crucible players won't be using a 1KYS as their primary mid-range weapon anymore, I'll deal with it.

Honestly, Thorn was probably it's most balanced at release when it had a shit clip size and terrible reload speed.

Then bungie buffed it for some reason, despite that several talented PvP players had already discovered it's power.

It's been over a year, and they still haven't figured out how to move this water sprinkler back.

LTWood12

Honestly, Thorn was probably it's most balanced at release when it had a shit clip size and terrible reload speed.

Then bungie buffed it for some reason, despite that several talented PvP players had already discovered it's power.

It's been over a year, and they still haven't figured out how to move this water sprinkler back.

I don't know man. Didn't everyone think it was garbage back then?

Trace

Banned

The community at large did. A bunch of people experimenting with it (including myself) found it to be worth the tradeoff of garbage stats in exchange for 2 shot kills.

Then they buffed the shit out of it and we're where we are now.

Because Thorn was so hard to get back in the day (Hello RNG exotic missions and hard as balls strike) it didn't have a very large install base. But even some of those who had it knew of it's power.

A friend of mine swore by it before it was ever buffed. I remember him even making a bet with me it wouldn't get buff because it would just be too powerful at that point.

Bungie sure showed him I guess.

WeTeHa

Watching Chaperone and First Curse in action in PvP looks fun, but I also hate doing frustrating quests, which is why I've been sitting on this one and First Curse quest for so long. I honestly would be down to try and do the rumble thing, otherwise I'm going to have to try and just switch weapons around, which also sounds annoying.

I'm down for running rumble in a fireteam to complete the first curse quest. Otherwise I won't get this thing done. Can probably run it on the weekend. I can also help you out with the TLW quest part.

Just had that discussion with Jamal earlier. I'm cool with strong guns as long as there are counters to compete with them.

Any crucible squads out there? I need a few wins to complete the Shax quest line.

Mindlog

There were a handful of us that spoke very highly of Thorn and were very skeptical of a Thorn buff.

I know Hawkian was there for sure.
Because Thorn was so hard to get back in the day (Hello RNG exotic missions and hard as balls strike) it didn't have a very large install base. But even some of those who had it knew of it's power.

A friend of mine swore by it before it was ever buffed. I remember him even making a bet with me it wouldn't get buff because it would just be too powerful at that point.

Bungie sure showed him I guess.
Yup. The buff reminded me of the buff Bioware did for Piranha when it was first released. Piranha was a freaking monster rapid fire shotgun, but many people disagreed and it got a buff. Bioware quickly realized that mistake and rolled it back. Many people complained, but Piranha is still a very powerful lightweight shotgun. It was a mainstay on my melee shadow infiltrator and tech burst geth engineer.

At the very least Thorn should have stayed at six shots. Buffing it to 9 for PvE still didn't help and 9 shots for PvP is too spray-and-pray for such a powerful weapon.

Kraftyy's only two balance requests from this week's Community Spotlight:

It would be SUPER awesome if the hit detection with melees and Arcblade got a little bit of a tweak as well. Oh, and Firebolts.​

Number45

Ugh, hopefully I don't feel the hit too much on the 1kYS in PvE. Reduced ammo, stability and higher zoom on the Longview scope sucks. :(

My favourite PvE weapon bar none to the detriment of nobody.

Also, did they nerf shotguns further?

Top Bottom