• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

LTWood12

Half of the people in here are bipolar. One minute you've quit the game, the next minute you're praising how awesome the game is and how fun it is to play with certain people, next minute you're crying about how Bungie doesn't care and it's the last straw, etc. Make up your minds.

Yeah it can feel that way at times.

The only reason I didn't quit this game back in October when all my IRL friends quit is because of DGAF. DGAF has given me the best moments of this game. And why it's hard to quit.

Where I'm at now is: play the big content drops. Bail on the endgame grind.

Lnkn52

I've never seen anything overtly bad, saying Deej isn't very good at his job and someone else should replace him is fair comment

Most of the salt has stemmed from Warlock/Firebolt chat but now thats settled people need to just.......
x9HE9so.gif

That gif is gross

/s

ocean

Banned
No, that's grossly exaggerated.
I think I read someone suggest a literal firing squad at one point. This place is beyond toxic and I've stated numerous times how incredibly rude some members can be.

If I were a Bungie dev I'd never want to touch this place, not with a ten foot pole. A few dozen actively disgruntled players and a few hundred mostly inactive but still salty guys insulting us, calling us lazy / greedy / deaf / indifferent / incompetent / bad at our own game etc.

WipedOut

I think I read someone suggest a literal firing squad at one point. This place is beyond toxic and I've stated numerous times how incredibly rude some members can be.

If I were a Bungie dev I'd never want to touch this place, not with a ten foot pole. A few dozen actively disgruntled players and a few hundred mostly inactive but still salty guys insulting us, calling us lazy / greedy / deaf / indifferent / incompetent / bad at our own game etc.

That's it ocean. You're fired! We can't have people running around here being sensible.

I've never seen anything overtly bad, saying Deej isn't very good at his job and someone else should replace him is fair comment

Most of the salt has stemmed from Warlock/Firebolt chat but now thats settled people need to just.......
x9HE9so.gif

So this is how you get a top position in the Zone Control leaderboards.

Every engine is super complex these days, and it depends on how the game handles it. Not every game handles player inventory the same way, because they may have different needs. Like, some games just load the list when it's pulled up. Some need all the items to reside in memory for scripting engine purposes. Also, if you reserve RAM to store the inventory array more than you need, you can never get it back later if you change your mind. And it might require updates to the UI subsystem to support the changes.

That's what happened with the vault changes before in Destiny. They added a few slots within the existing parameters with a hotfix, then said a more substantial upgrade was coming later (Taken King). Since it probably required a lot of subsystems to be touched, it was better to shunt a vault subsystem overhaul into benefitting from all the engine work going into Taken King 2.x engine upgrades than waste time adding it to the 1.x branch - and they also found spare RAM on last gen to add the slots. So with this update they've probably optimized the engine even more and added the extra slots.

I've personally thought the "engine is difficult" stuff was overblown because every engine has it's 'oh god why is it set up this way'. Doesn't matter if it's custom or licensed. Source sucks at having a bunch of dynamic objects. Unreal doesn't handle changing objects on the fly very well. Hell, a game I made requires 15 minutes minimum to compile changes to it, because the way the game works I have to compile the entire game's scripts even if I change only one.

So yeah, while back in the day adding inventory space was changing a variable, in modern AAA development everything touches everything and can crash everything and the engines are millions of lines of code and there are literally bugs that will occur from the compiler doing something wrong and not the humans. So you have to have bug triage levels and branch management to even make these games creatable.

The perfect example to this is the New Mail bug that occurs when you equip a new monarchy ship.

Like... how does that even happen. What about that one piece of inventory sets off a flag for a totally separate system.

the_id

Reminds me why cliffb actually hates neogaf: https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/479129693241614336

Matt Frost

kbtV8zN.gif

You're going to rustle some feathers with that comment.

Why? Titans and Hunters have been nerfed to the ground, why cant Warlocks? Like Deej says, Titans and Hunters survived the nerf, so why shouldnt they? Is all for balance after all, to get an even field. It will be the end of people who use them just to get an advantage (same as with Thorn, that will be nerfed as well), and the end of a team full of Warlocks.

I just need to know what time April 12th update hits.

Midnight, 4am reset or noon again. I'm going to guess noon. Either way, I need to find a group that'll check out the the PoE stuff when it releases. And the new strike. I think that's it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8Yy8uwQNY&feature=youtu.be&t=3372

Why? Titans and Hunters have been nerfed to the ground, why cant Warlocks? Like Deej says, Titans and Hunters survived the nerf, so why shouldnt they? Is all for balance after all, to get an even field.

Hunters haven't had their turn under the microscope yet.

Titans were first in the winter. Hunter's wont see their turn until the Sept expansion most likely.

#TeamCircleofLife

WipedOut

Midnight, 4am reset or noon again. I'm going to guess noon. Either way, I need to find a group that'll check out the the PoE stuff when it releases. And the new strike. I think that's it?

I'll be on, let's run through the quest and shit.

I MIGHT try and be around next Friday for Trials reset. I took off time for TTK, but I think I can wait for most of the April update stuff.

Matt Frost

Hunters haven't had their turn under the microscope yet.

Titans were first in the winter. Hunter's wont see their turn until the Sept expansion most likely.

#TeamCircleofLife

I thought they nerfed the Bladedancer super already, if not, my bad. I am a hunter, so if that comes, I will try to adapt to the nerf. Like as always. Bungie nerfs, we adapt. If not, there are tons of other games to play with... or real life stuff...

Will def be here, but after logging in I plan to get me some faction packages first.

I thought they nerfed the Bladedancer super already, if not, my bad. I am a hunter, so if that comes, I will try to adapt to the nerf. Like as always. Bungie nerfs, we adapt. If not, there are tons of other games to play with... or real life stuff...

That's where I've been spending most of my time lately.

I've run three 5Ks this week so far. I'm going to South America in 30 days so I'm trying to get more appealing for the ladies (
read: The Wife
)

I think it’s safe to say that the highs and fun of year one are never going to return.

The thrill of the chase of the Gjallarhorn for so many, or other really fun exotics, will never exist again.

What makes Destiny so great for me are #1 the people I play with and #2 the powerful weapons.

When my friends weren’t around, I had really fun weapons to play with and cause havoc in strikes and patrol.

I don’t feel most of Destiny’s encounters are inherently fun on their own, but powerful weapons making me feel like a bad ass or playing with friends make the encounters fun for me.

It’s sad for me to admit it, but I’ve lost hope for Destiny 2, or any other future release to bring back the emotions and experiences I had in year one. Sure, there will be new content and a lot of things to do, but there will no longer be things worth chasing. It’s Bungie’s philosophy. They want everything the same, no outliers or overpowered stuff. It all has to be equally dull.

Until that philosophy is changed, we are going to continue on this path, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

When I got my first one, I cried, and thanked my raid group, I told them i would never forget them. I started crying.

FyreWulff

The perfect example to this is the New Mail bug that occurs when you equip a new monarchy ship.

Like... how does that even happen. What about that one piece of inventory sets off a flag for a totally separate system.

It looks like any object/inventory piece/etc in Destiny can set flags or alter other things as long as you're holding them. Like using telemetry affects weapons and stuff, or having a certain item in the inventory lets you open a door, or changes the appearance of your Guardian's biped. It could be that the ship is basically awarding something 'empty' to your mail slot. You go check your mail, nothing's there, and once you go to orbit the ship's scripts fire again and add to the mail slot's queue.

So, I'll use that as an example of bug triage. Is it a bug? Yeah. Is a critical bug? Nope. It doesn't cause the player to soflock, crash, or does anything else to them that's bad. So they know the bug is there, but more important bugs take priority, or might be awaiting a global fix that will fix that issue and prevent it from happening again. So the bug will persist through multiple patches because more important bugs and features get in there first.

And it's really hard to communicate to players that a bug is low priority to you codewise because it sounds like you're saying their concern is unimportant, when it's not, but if you stopped the whole code team for low priority bugs games of this size would be unwieldable.

They mentioned in the stream that the Raid and Candy ghosts are now viewable in your inventory, so that's another example of a bug and triage levels. Did it suck you couldn't inspect them? Yeah, it did. Did it make the game unplayable or cause crashes? No, so it got assigned low priority or had to wait for some other backend fix.

One thing for sure has changed for Bungie since Destiny launch, though. Back in the Halo days and the launch of Destiny they'd always wait for the long term global fix, because they were used to the "nice n' clean" patch deployments. Since Taken King onwards, they've been willing to do the "ugly fix" first to fix critical bugs, like the infinite nightbow super glitch and just turning off the node, to hold off to the clean, complete fix and re-enabling the node.

And this is how every game's development is done these days.

I think you're probably the only one that thinks that. I have been playing this game since alpha and imo it's way worse in year 2. SBMM being implemented in year 2 was one of those reasons and now they have gone back to CBMM or so they have said.

Dedicated servers would fix a lot but I don't think Bungie has to tools or resources to implement thay into Destiny. Imo they should be a must for Destiny 2..

If you think dedicated servers will fix the lag I've got some videos of teleporting in H5 and dusting in Titanfall to show you. Both have dedicated servers and both have issues with lag yet. I actually think Destiny's networking setup is very smart but it does carry some decent bandwidth requirements.

Kaiken

Banned
Nobody forgets their first Baller-horn. My main Hunter could never get it to drop for me. I've finally leveled my Warlock alt high enough to defeat, Atheon and glory fell into my heavy slot.

Nobody forgets their first Baller-horn. My main Hunter could never get it to drop for me. I've finally leveled my Warlock alt high enough to defeat, Atheon and glory fell into my heavy slot.
Got mine from the exotic VOG chest it only took about a year of running every activity with three characters.

I'm pretty sure Deej said during the stream the update will go live around 10AM BT/1PM ET.

Edit: Just checked and he says it right before the 1:04 mark.

I'm 93% sure it will go live at 10am PST.

Trakan

The UI Designer for Destiny had a presentation at GDC that was posted on reddit. He said when they made rift, they accidentally broke the Control gametype by removing all of the flags from the map. It's something they caught and had to go back and fix.

It really is spaghetti code.

HM Warpriest at 8:30PM EST Tonight.

1. Dreamgazer
2. Dthomp
3. Shiv
4. Gears (?)
5. Kaikken

Dthomp and Gears* are a little rusty on raids, so any high-light people that want to help out would be great. Anyone is welcomed though.

HM Warpriest at 8:30PM EST Tonight.

1. Dreamgazer
2. Dthomp
3. Shiv
4. Gears (?)
5. Kaikken

Dthomp and Gears* are a little rusty on raids, so any high-light people that want to help out would be great. Anyone is welcomed though.
Mind i being your sixth? Never done the challenge mode.

Psn: LooneyLMD

I wonder if we'll be met with strange corrections in the weekly update. I'd laugh hysterically if they said they forgot to say that since they couldn't balance Firebolts they decided to remove them. Kappa.

I'm pretty sure Deej said during the stream the update will go live around 10AM BT/1PM ET.

I'm 93% sure it will go live at 10am PST.

Cool, thanks! So same as HoW I believe (noon my time haha)

And LMAO @ 93%, so specific :p

I wonder if we'll be met with strange corrections in the weekly update. I'd laugh hysterically if they said they forgot to say that since they couldn't balance Firebolts they decided to remove them. Kappa.

I didn't even think about the corrections since they've actually done that BOTH times! First on checkpoints and then last week with something else I can't remember.

Just looking through all my share photos to see when I got Gjallarhorn.

18th November 2014 - VoG Exotic chest.

I didn't have to wait long for the GOAT.

Cool, thanks! So same as HoW I believe (noon my time haha)

And LMAO @ 93%, so specific :p

I didn't even think about the corrections since they've actually done that BOTH times! First on checkpoints and then last week with something else I can't remember.

Last week was the Y1 weapons only dropping in packages and not engrams, which was pretty weird news.

Top Bottom