• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

In the same few lines of text it says faction packages reward up to 330 light, which also contradicts your theory.

Bungie can never make things simple.

Yup I realized this and edited it before you finished posting.

EDIT: played the little game they want you to play on that mini site. I don't understand it at all.

Select an activity and you go up one light level. Huh?

Mtashed put up a video especially for Igor :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VsWNJMQyE

Can't say i agree with him on the "meta" part at all. I won't be forced to play nightstalker because Bungie lets an OP nade run wild in pvp for months with no end in sight. I'll either play what's fun for me (and thats bladedancer) or i won't play at all. I have no obligations to this thing. If Bungie feels firebolts are in a good spot right now that's their prerogative and their game, i'll just never agree with it.

Also don't agree with the "b-but neutral game is sunsinger's thing! Their super is crap! They can't kill 3 people with it" thing. These days with a blade you are super lucky if you get 2 kills with it due to shit hit detection and shotguns (aaaand guess what? Sunsinger's DOTs) and you get sniped just as easily. Imo radiance is a better aggressive super than blade these days. The only consolation is that in a blade vs radiance fight they lose the majority of the time.

If you think dedicated servers will fix the lag I've got some videos of teleporting in H5 and dusting in Titanfall to show you. Both have dedicated servers and both have issues with lag yet. I actually think Destiny's networking setup is very smart but it does carry some decent bandwidth requirements.

I have played TONS of halo 5 and Titanfall when it came out so I know about the lag and lack of it. I have been played Destiny since alpha and lag wasn't a huge issue in year one. I never bothered to complain about it but year 2 is different. It made the game unplayable at times during IB and some Trials during the whole SBMM fiasco.

the_id

5233724187.png

No more lag for me. But still playing like a super scrub.

Planet destiny discussing the update in their live podcast: https://www.twitch.tv/planet_destiny

Can't say i agree with him on the "meta" part at all. I won't be forced to play nightstalker because Bungie lets an OP nade run wild in pvp for months with no end in sight. I'll either play what's fun for me (and thats bladedancer) or i won't play at all. I have no obligations to this thing. If Bungie feels firebolts are in a good spot right now that's their prerogative and their game, i'll just never agree with it.

Also don't agree with the "b-but neutral game is sunsinger's thing! Their super is crap! They can't kill 3 people with it" thing. These days with a blade you are super lucky if you get 2 kills with it due to shit hit detection and shotguns (aaaand guess what? Sunsinger's DOTs) and you get sniped just as easily. Imo radiance is a better aggressive super than blade these days. The only consolation is that in a blade vs radiance fight they lose the majority of the time.

That line cracked me up. How many rounds have I won in Trials going HAM with Radiance? Lots.

Based on his conclusion no one should have complained about Sunbreakers or final round or Thorn or anything remotly broken. It's silly. There's nothing wrong with folks wanting a balanced game. The idea that Halo can be balanced but Destiny cannot is just a tad shortsighed.

Yes, adapting is just part of balance patches that I do agree with. He has the right idea, but went about trying to get his message across the wrong way.

I have played TONS of halo 5 and Titanfall when it came out so I know about the lag and lack of it. I have been played Destiny since alpha and lag wasn't a huge issue in year one. I never bothered to complain about it but year 2 is different. It made the game unplayable at times during IB and some Trials during the whole SBMM fiasco.

SBMM just didn't hurt things much for me. Maybe living in the upper midwest means I can find plenty of people, not sure. I can see how SBMM was shit for a large number of people though.

That line cracked me up. How many rounds have I won in Trials going HAM with Radiance? Lots.

And nobody on your team ever wins a round because of BD? That's not a proper rebuttal.

Based on his conclusion no one should have complained about Sunbreakers or final round or Thorn or anything remotly broken. It's silly. There's nothing wrong with folks wanting a balanced game. The idea that Halo can be balanced but Destiny cannot is just a tad shortsighed.

The title of the video says the grenades are too powerful. In the video he says they need to be nerfed. So it's pretty silly to say based on his video where he says the grenades should be nerfed that the logical extension is that nothing previously overpowered should have been nerfed.

Bring back Bladedancers and Sunbreakers to their glory days, Bungie!

Especially Sunbreakers.
Definitely agree with sunbreakers, the only nerfs that were good were the armor one and the one that made it throw less hammers, all the others were completely unnecessary, and went way too far.

And nobody on your team ever wins a round because of BD? That's not a proper rebuttal.

The title of the video says the grenades are too powerful. In the video he says they need to be nerfed. So it's pretty silly to say based on his video where he says the grenades should be nerfed that the logical extension is that nothing previously overpowered should have been nerfed.

He suggested that Sunsingers rarely get more than one kill with their supers. Based on my personal experience that's not true. I would consider that a proper rebuttal because those are my experiences. I believe I am entitled to that.

His video also suggested that while they are broken we should also not complain about them either. We should adapt(and I do agree, people should learn to adapt). Perhaps I didn't explain it well, but my interpretation of his video is that things are broken, don't complain about them, and if you don't like it play another game. Based on that, we should never have complained about things like Sunbreakers, Thorn, etc...that to me is silly.

I get it. He's tried of hearing the same conversation and if I had to guess so are you. That's fine. His answer is "It's broken, move on" Well then by that logic, we should have said, "Sunbreakers are broken, move on"

Edit: I also feel like I am coming off wrong. Please know that I am not trying to come off rude or suggest your opinion of his video is wrong in any way.

He suggested that Sunsingers rarely get more than one kill with their supers. Based on my personal experience that's not true. I would consider that a proper rebuttal because those are my experiences. I believe I am entitled to that.

His video also suggested that while they are broken we should also not complain about them either. We should adapt(and I do agree, people should learn to adapt). Perhaps I didn't explain it well, but my interpretation of his video is that things are broken, don't complain about them, and if you don't like it play another game. Based on that, we should never have complained about things like Sunbreakers, Thorn, etc...that to me is silly.

I get it. He's tried of hearing the same conversation and if I had to guess so are you. That's fine. His answer is "It's broken, move on" Well then by that logic, we should have said, "Sunbreakers are broken, move on"

Edit: I also feel like I am coming off wrong. Please know that I am not trying to come off rude or suggest your opinion of his video is wrong in any way.

There's a certain logic, the Crucible Playbook logic, of "You can only play the game we have." I get that. I get also that we fixate and continue talking about the same stuff over and over, in part because Bungie is silent.

But! So much of Destiny would have been bad without community feedback. Rexurbishing, anyone? As Ape points out, Final Round snipers, HoW Thorn, etc.

Here's where I draw the line:

Designers: listen when people tell you something is broken. Ignore them when they say how to fix it.​

Yup I realized this and edited it before you finished posting.

EDIT: played the little game they want you to play on that mini site. I don't understand it at all.

Select an activity and you go up one light level. Huh?

My understanding is that depending on your light level, the rewards will vary every time.

So, if you're 320, the next reward drops will be 321.
If you're 325, the next drop will be 326.
...and so on.

Remember what they said on last week's stream, upto 335 depending on your power level.

Player skill is the biggest variable when examining anecdotal evidence, though. No argument that a gun/ability/subclass is relatively overpowered ever relies on an assumption that everyone does universally well, and similarly, no argument that a gun/ability/subclass is relatively underpowered relies on the assumption that everyone performs poorly. People need the freedom to make general statements they know won't apply to everyone regardless of their position on the bell curve.

my interpretation of his video is that things are broken, don't complain about them, and if you don't like it play another game.

Saying players could or should adapt does not exclude the ability to complain about the state of the game. For instance, I think firebolts should be nerfed. I may be complaining about it when the patch drops. I'm cool with his video.

As for the other game comment, I think it's fair to point out that Destiny's classes don't lend themselves to symmetry, so anyone opposed to the idea of a meta in flux would probably be happier with a different game.

My understanding is that depending on your light level, the rewards will vary every time.

So, if you're 320, the next reward drops will be 321.
If you're 325, the next drop will be 326.
...and so on.

Remember what they said on last week's stream, upto 335 depending on your power level.

The site seems to suggest if you are 320 and you visit 'factions', you will advance to 321. It's not saying that your next drop will be 321, it's suggesting that your overall light will be that. That makes no sense really, because that's presuming that you're going to get a max light level drop every time.

Try it. You'll see. It seems very misleading and odd, and ultimately not useful. Not even for illustrative purposes.

It even lets you pick a light level of 2...i.e. that's my current light level. It's just head scratchingly odd.

As for the other game comment, I think it's fair to point out that Destiny's classes don't lend themselves to symmetry, so anyone opposed to the idea of a meta in flux would probably be happier with a different game.

This is a good point. Do you think Bungie's language of balance kinda works agains them here? And does the update schedule of once every 3-5 months seem kinda long for an inherently unbalanceable meta? Like how often are LoL's updates? (Also, LoL is a legit esport, so it's not a fair comparison, but just trying to think of other assym games).

Well, that mini site is really half baked, sadly.

Looking at a graphic that claims that ACD/0 Feedback Fence is a returning Hunter exotic gauntlet.

This is fair. I still don't like the idea of telling someone to play a different game because they disagree with his opinion of the game.

At the end of the day, I think we will have to agree to disagree on the rest Reign.

Ape, Igor, X, how exciting is the prospect of being able to get a new Flawless emblem, to replace Hic Jacet?

They didn't cover any new mechanics for it and the Scarab is sticking around, so it seems like no change.

This is a good point. Do you think Bungie's language of balance kinda works agains them here? And does the update schedule of once every 3-5 months seem kinda long for an inherently unbalanceable meta? Like how often are LoL's updates? (Also, LoL is a legit esport, so it's not a fair comparison, but just trying to think of other assym games).

I honestly interpreted Luke Smith's comments about weapons having an "age" (pre-TTK interview, I believe) as a byproduct of the slow update schedule. I have a feeling it's more of a reality dictated by the tools and company structure more than it is a design philosophy the devs are happy with, but that's just my (probably optimistic) interpretation.

That said, I think the update schedule absolutely works against them. It's not unreasonable for people to want and even expect a balanced game. I certainly don't want to come across as defending imbalance as some pillar of the game's design. So, when something like the old Sunbro is included in an update, Bungie has to live with what is largely seen as a mistake for quite some time before the sandbox changes. In addition, some players grow attached to weapons and playstyles because they are given so much time between updates, and thus, even the positive (as seen by the majority) changes alienate some of the playerbase. It's an unenviable position, I'm sure

Ape, Igor, X, how exciting is the prospect of being able to get a new Flawless emblem, to replace Hic Jacet?

They didn't cover any new mechanics for it and the Scarab is sticking around, so it seems like no change.

I'm excited. I like the idea of having new stuff to chase in the Mercury chest.

Well, that mini site is really half baked, sadly.

Looking at a graphic that claims that ACD/0 Feedback Fence is a returning Hunter exotic gauntlet.
Wow, that site is... something. If I do level 41 PoE at LL 324 (which rewards items up to 320) I will be LL 325!

I don't understand why they can't just be transparent and provide a detailed explanation how drops will work with the new system (plain fuggin English plz). 'Up to X LL' is vague.

What's the minimum light?
Is it always based on your current LL?
Will it just always increment by 1?

These aren't super secret raid spoilers here. Just friggin tell us how it's going to work.

I mostly agree with mtash. I mean most of us hardcore will play it regardless. He did act like you can just change characters mid match haha so that part was silly. But yea the duration and melee decrease alone should help. I'm still excited to see how everything will play out. I know that when Trials first came back Year 2 via Bannerfall, that was NOT fun. It's improved since. I just wish they would add more year 2 maps.

New is always good!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wut.

alZIYwm.png

Dtomp and Shiv. You two will be good as me one day.

Aim for their heads.
Don't shoot after you think, shoot before you think.
Use your environment to you advantage. Put yourself in a spot where you can freely shoot and escape if things get too heated.
Aim for their heads.
Don't follow Neo.

LTWood12

Undefeated twain. LT putting in work. Saithan making them put in work. Der working and putting them in.

Thanks for the few matches. Can't wait until we get a better map rotation though. I'm ready to get a Grasp. Oversoul Edict is my jam but can't bring it to IB or Trials.

LTWood12

regarding the +45 range that comes with Focus Fire on Suros, I have to think that buff with apply to any AR with Focus Fire right? Not sure how they could make the same perk different just for Suros Regime. Am I wrong?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Warlock central in crucible. I guess they are saying their goodbyes before Bungie sends them to the slaughterhouse.

Another tip. Stay out of sniper lanes. I'm sitting here watching a certain person stand there staring at the nice vista while Henry the Hunter snipes him from the other side of the sniper lane.

Dthomp

Warlock central in crucible. I guess they are saying their goodbyes before Bungie sends them to the slaughterhouse.

Another tip. Stay out of sniper lanes. I'm sitting here watching a certain person stand there staring at the nice vista while Henry the Hunter snipes him from the other side of the sniper lane.

You don't need to hide my identity, I don't know all the sniper lanes and good players will just continue to dome me

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Dtomp. I'd rather have you on the team than certain people. You hustle and you are not afraid to go in. Like I said don't think too hard. Half of the game is all about reactions.

Trace

Banned
Damn, those are the worst PvP notes I have ever actually seen.

What does everyone else think of them? I was considering coming back, but a blanket nerf to sniper rifles, including PvE, and no handcannons accuracy buffs...

SnakeEyes

Banned
I feel like I've missed the best time in Destiny. All this talk about Gjallahorn. I've never had it drop doing the old raids.
I feel like I've missed some news about the Gjallarhorn getting a Y2 version. If I have, then I may actually come back!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Alright. So it's pitch black outside and there is a small spider that is pitch black and you saw it and you're scared of it. What.

Top Bottom