• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

WeTeHa

Lol wtf just happened here?
igjDIuy.gif

Slide-down-stairs.gif

Mindwipe

It only took me an hour to have a Warsat appear on Mars for Sleeper last night. I feel pretty lucky.

Just Earth and the Moon to go. Should be achievable this week.

Destiny should learn a few things from The Division, like the end game and the Phoenix credits compared to Xur and the marks... In Destiny, they are worthless, but in Division, they mean something... you can buy the best gear with it, you can earn them by doing challenging missions, and the gear you buy with them is the best in the game, as opposed to Destiny, where they mean nothing at all and the vendors are crap. Three missions that take hours to complete, as opposed to... nothing... PvP maybe, o Destiny. And on The Division you have to really learn teamwork and how to use all the tools at your disposal to compete the challenging missions. In Destiny, just run and shoot. Division has more deeper mechanics and is more complete in general. Right now, Destiny seems like a children game in comparison.

No thanks. That doesn't sound like fun at all. Let the Division be the Division and let Destiny be Destiny.

Destiny requires significant teamwork for the raid and subsequent challenges. Yes, over time they become trivial but that happens the more you play and learn the mechanics.

Destiny is not a tactical shooter nor should it be.

E92 M3

I meant the reverse? But I'm operating on 2-4 hours of sleep a night lately, so who know.

Yeah. I want to see PvE balance (buffs) and more frequent updates.

But! If Bungie continues to focus purely on PvP and tweak things almost never, then I want a gentle touch (nerf Sunsingers a bit). The last thing I want is something like the special ammo fix that was drastic, half assed and unlikely to get addressed for 6 months.

Anyway, back to midnight/early am parenting.

7ce794f468d4e712cdfe20e4bd571a74.gif

Haha, we're both sleep deprived! You and I both know that Bungie doesn't do anything with a subtle touch - that's why I don't want them to ruin anything else.

Oh! Oh!

Dream for this fall's update. No new subclasses. Instead, totally redone skill trees for the existing subclasses!

One's with more power fantasy for PvE, more options for PvP.

Right now skill tress are really shallow, but criminally there's really only one or two choices through them.

I want to see more perks be viable. I want to see more passives. I want to see a secondary ability beyond Melee, Grenade, Super.

I'd like to see that as well. Bungie needs to reimagine what they consider a "power fantasy." Bungie can even make two modes skill modes - PVP and PVE. I'd support it.

Deku Tree

Destiny should learn a few things from The Division, like the end game and the Phoenix credits compared to Xur and the marks... In Destiny, they are worthless, but in Division, they mean something... you can buy the best gear with it, you can earn them by doing challenging missions, and the gear you buy with them is the best in the game, as opposed to Destiny, where they mean nothing at all and the vendors are crap. Three missions that take hours to complete, as opposed to... nothing... PvP maybe, o Destiny. And on The Division you have to really learn teamwork and how to use all the tools at your disposal to compete the challenging missions. In Destiny, just run and shoot. Division has more deeper mechanics and is more complete in general. Right now, Destiny seems like a children game in comparison.

I like the Division but some of this is inaccurate. Like : "Division has more deeper mechanics" Just nope.

Division has more generous loot. That's a good thing. If Bungie want's more horizontal progression at the end game, then Destiny should have more generous loot.

Matt Frost

No thanks. That doesn't sound like fun at all. Let the Division be the Division and let Destiny be Destiny.

Thing is... that is a lot of fun... and Destiny should learn a few things from the Division. Like making it more fun. Destiny is fun with the gunplay they offer, Division is way more complex and fun in every other aspect. And gunplay isnt far behind as well. But I can see you have to let go, so many negative comments when I say something, so harsh and negative. Relax dude, let other people have their opinions.

Matt Frost

I like the Division but some of this is inaccurate. Like : "Division has more deeper mechanics" Just nope.

It indeed has way more deeper mechanics. Challenge missions are way more complex and require more teamwork than Destiny ever will.

Lets take a look at the current top mode in both games since Division still doesnt have a raid and we cant compare in that department right now:

Destiny NightFall: Either run and shoot or stay afar shooting things to win, or kill everything with exotic swords. Shoot, shoot, shoot. No teamwork. I am able to clear a NightFall myself. Try to do that in challenge mode...

Division Challenge mode: Use every single thing the game offers (abilities, grenades, weapons, cover,...) and a lot of teamwork (doing certain things at certain moments and way more, coordination, cover, distractions,...) to win.

So yes, has a lot more complex mechanics. You are probably negating it yourself and dont want to see this. Your fault.

Deku Tree

It indeed has way more deeper mechanics. Challenge missions are way more complex and require more teamwork than Destiny ever will.

Lets take a look at the current top mode in both games since Division still doesnt have a raid and we cant compare both:

Destiny NightFall: Either run and shoot or stay afar shooting things to win, or kill everything with exotic swords. Shoot, shoot, shoot. No teamwork.

Division Challenge mode: Use every single thing the game offers (abilities, grenades, weapons, cover) and a lot of teamwork (doing certain things at certain moments and way more) to win.

So yes, has a lot more complex mechanics. You are probably negating it yourself and dont want to see this. Your fault.

Your comparing an over leveled NF to an underleveled Challenge mode. Not a fair comparison. The people who are over leveled for Division challenge mode already are just spawn killing all the enemies and finishing CM in 15-20 minutes.

Division has no "mechanics" that require you to do something outside of shooting and healing and using your powers to progress.

Thing is... that is a lot of fun... and Destiny should learn a few things from the Division. Like making it more fun. Destiny is fun with the gunplay they offer, Division is way more complex and fun in every other aspect. And gunplay isnt far behind as well. But I can see you have to let go, so many negative comments when I say something, so harsh and negative. Relax dude, let other people have their opinions.

Great. I'm glad it's fun for you. That's awesome.

I will however disagree with you and say Destiny is still more fun for me.

Also, what part of my replay was negative? I'm sorry if it was, but you're in the DGAF OT suggesting Destiny should change X, Y, and Z just because Division does it and you like that more. Well ok then.

As Deku said, you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you would like examples of constructive criticism for Destiny then take a look at posts by Kor, John, Drizz, etc and see the difference there.

Deku Tree

Different people like different types of games: Realistic vs. Fantasy setting. TPS vs. FPS. Etc. Nothing wrong with that. It's actually great.

Matt Frost

Your comparing an over leveled NF to an underleveled Challenge mode. Not a fair comparison. The people who are over leveled for Division challenge mode already are just spawn killing all the enemies and finishing CM in 15-20 minutes.

Division has no "mechanics" that require you to do something outside of shooting and healing and using your powers to progress.

Lol, ok, up to you. I finish a NightFall alone using only an exotic sword and a heavy ammo synth. Try to do that in The Division challenge mode. First, you need one each team member with different abilities to recharge ammo, revive, debuffs. There is no ammo synths to recharge your ammo. The only debuff in Destiny is... the dark sphere that doesn't let you double jump. All the enemy do to you is fire at you. Division, they throw everything at you. Blind grenades, turrets, and many more things that require teamwork. Try to solo CM with running shotgunners, golf club runners and such things. You will die too much. In Destiny, they never go more than a few meters, they fall back when you reach certain points. I could keep going on and on... And no, I am not underleveled at all. Have all gold and some of the best guns of the game, same as my teammates. The enemy is OP. They throw more grenades that you can count at you, they have more health than your team combined. Shotgunners kill you with 3 shots from more afar than a Conspiracy Theory. You have to use every single aspect of your gear to survive. And teamwork...

But to each their own. You probably just cant see it.

Matt Frost

Great. I'm glad it's fun for you. That's awesome.

Also, what part of my replay was negative? I'm sorry if it was, but you're in the DGAF OT suggesting Destiny should change X, Y, and Z just because Division does it and you like that more. Well ok then.

If you would like examples of constructive criticism for Destiny then take a look at posts by Kor, John, Drizz, etc and see the difference there.

Well, I just saying things. I love Destiny. Favourite game ever. I just suggest things I learn from other games. After all, you always learn new things and should incorporate them into your life to evolve, right? Also... something I cant cope with.... saying that Destiny has more mechanics when there is none outside of shooting things... well, sorry, not true, I cant skip it, I have to correct that user who clearly doesn't think clearly.

Deku Tree

Lol, ok, up to you. I finish a NightFall alone using only an exotic sword and a heavy ammo synth. Try to do that in The Division challenge mode. First, you need one each team member with different abilities to recharge ammo, revive, debuffs. There is no ammo synths to recharge your ammo. The only debuff in Destiny is... the dark sphere that doesn't let you double jump. All the enemy do to you is fire at you. Division, they throw everything at you. Blind grenades, turrets, and many more things that require teamwork. Try to solo CM with running shotgunners, golf club runners and such things. You will die too much. In Destiny, they never go more than a few meters, they fall back when you reach certain points. I could keep going on and on... And no, I am not underleveled at all. Have all gold and some of the best guns of the game, same as my teammates. The enemy is OP. They throw more grenades that you can count at you, they have more health than your team combined. Shotgunners kill you with 3 shots from more afar than a Conspiracy Theory. You have to use every single aspect of your gear to survive. And teamwork...

Go ask Tecnniqe in the Division thread about how easy it is for him to Solo Division Challenge mode.

If you got in on the DZ PC farming before it was nerfed, and you did it a lot, then you can have 200K DPS with all high end gear and farm the CM missions easily. Many people in the Division thread are doing it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about different games, but what you are saying about CM in Division is contradicted by what a bunch of people are doing in the Division thread.

BTW, I personally am not that over-leveled and I find the CM missions currently very hard.

Matt Frost

Yeah, before it was nerfed... you just told me everything I needed to know... I am done. See you when the new DLC is released. Bye.

WipedOut

Lets take a look at the current top mode in both games since Division still doesnt have a raid and we cant compare in that department right now:

Destiny NightFall: Either run and shoot or stay afar shooting things to win, or kill everything with exotic swords. Shoot, shoot, shoot. No teamwork. I am able to clear a NightFall myself. Try to do that in challenge mode...

Division Challenge mode: Use every single thing the game offers (abilities, grenades, weapons, cover,...) and a lot of teamwork (doing certain things at certain moments and way more, coordination, cover, distractions,...) to win.

The problem is while yes you love destiny, you're coming in this thread spamming about division, I have made a few comments but you seem to be taking it to the next level, we are all glad you love the game but I think you might want to keep the division talk to the division OT from now on. We are all happy that you have found a great new game to spend your time with. (No sarcasm implied.) have fun and go blow shit up.

I agree with both of these sentiments. Destiny just has that X-Factor that keeps pulling you back in even though there is nothing left to get loot wise. I'm glad I'm at the point I can just boot the game up and enjoy the great gun play and fool around instead of hunting and searching for that last exotic.

Yeah, before it was nerfed... you just told me everything I needed to know... I am done. See you when the new DLC is released. Bye.
47489521.jpg

Enjoy

That sounds great. I'd like to see more variety in Destiny's encounters, especially with Heroic Strikes which only have the static modifier "Fresh Troops".

But it must be noted, Year 2 was already a huge improvement. Here's SC_Slayerage, the guy who solo'd Oryx talking about the Taken.

Posting in full, because this is really smart.

I personally couldn't disagree more [with not having more Taken enemies]. Taken centurions give me something to worry about other than direct fire, taken goblins force me to prioritize them over even much bigger enemies, taken psions need to be killed all in one go so you can't just kill a couple and get back to them later, taken vandals make it so you can't just always kill them whenever you want, taken wizards will spawn extra enemies nonstop until you kill them, taken phalanx make you need to be aware of your surroundings, taken hobgoblins are only smart to fight if you have cover because of their homing retaliation, taken acolytes aren't much of a threat but the eyes they spawn should generally be killed as fast as possible, and taken captains are always important to be aware of even if damage from them isn't the threat.

If taken knight's fire took up more space and lasted longer for "zone control," they'd be more interesting. Finally, taken minotaurs and thralls are just plain annoying variations of the enemy. Not a huge fan of those three.

The taken actually make you think about how you're engaging enemies and make different prioritization strategies more or less effective. The black spindle mission is an awesome example. You wipe the blights to prevent enemy spawns, then kill the major centurions, captains, etc. because they're the biggest threats, then wipe the psions because they are vulnerable if they won't have cover to give them a chance to refresh their numbers again. As a second example, when you're fighting oryx, you have to watch out for axion darts and acolyte eyes - but the centurions and acolytes themselves aren't too important, so you can kill ogres or knights when those taken aren't using their abilities actively. If I see an acolyte eye alive and firing I always kill it because it's only a matter of time before it melts my teammate. If I see a dart chasing one of my teammates I try to get it off their back. But the regular enemies? Not really very troublesome.

So for two major reasons, keep the taken coming: they give our opponents a chance to have abilities too, which is just fair and makes the concept of space magic gunfights a lot more interesting, and they actually encourage a strategic approach to gunfights and priorities. They aren't perfect, but they are a thousand times more interesting than vandals, acolytes, hobgoblins, etc are. If the vault of glass were the exact same except with taken goblins, hobgoblins, and minotaurs, it would be a whole new level of difficulty and it would be much more difficult, which is appropriate for an activity that we have been doing for a year. If they were to just buff levels and numbers the content would still be a joke.
I think they should continue to make more enemies that actually pose more than one meaningful threat, instead of just enemies that are only dangerous when in line of sight. It fits much better with destiny's combat style to have enemies that don't just require cover based fighting.

Tl;dr it's good that unlike every other enemy in the game, the best strategy for the taken isn't always "see it shoot it."

What if I were to tell you that Bungie not only loves comparing Apples & Oranges, but created a whole mechanism for doing that, calling it Fruit Space?

102174.jpg

Fruit Space is what they call the comparison between different weapons in the same weapon slot. Like comparing a Shotgun & a Sniper Rifle.

Well, I just saying things. I love Destiny. Favourite game ever. I just suggest things I learn from other games. After all, you always learn new things and should incorporate them into your life to evolve, right? Also... something I cant cope with.... saying that Destiny has more mechanics when there is none outside of shooting things... well, sorry, not true, I cant skip it, I have to correct that user who clearly doesn't think clearly.

But there are more mechanics than just "shooting things"? What about teamwork in the raids? Trials PvP strategies? What is your definition of mechanics?
Not sure why people feel the need to come into the Destiny OT, criticize the game, then disparage any posters who disagree with them.

The Skolas fight continues to show that is the GOAT.

Lots of movement both from your team and the boss. Big plays for disabling mines that required individual players to step up AND use their subclass effectively: Defenders Bubble in way other than buffing, Sunsinger self-Rez in a way that isn't just a crutch for sloppy play and Bladedancer in PvE? Wha?

And of course constant teamwork with passing the Taint. Going with that, clutch saves for getting teammates rezzes.

I rest my case. We need more of that.

I haven't played for months. I mainly quit because of the exotic sword quest and the fact that all the best loot was locked behind the raid. Is this still the case? is there any point in trying again, given that i really do not want to play any of the raids? thanks.

Anyone know if doubles is active in crucible? Also should we expect an update or when content will be released from this week with Bungie?

Shiv47

I haven't played for months. I mainly quit because of the exotic sword quest and the fact that all the best loot was locked behind the raid. Is this still the case? is there any point in trying again, given that i really do not want to play any of the raids? thanks.

Nothing significant has changed in that regard since you quit, so no, don't bother.

WeTeHa

The raid loot itself is pretty bad. Almost all the weapons suck. The only raid weapon I use is the machine gun.
If you mean "highest lightlevel" by best, then you don't even need that anyway if you don't plan on running the raid. 290-300 is fine for everything currently in the game except hard mode kings fall.

Which part of the exotic sword quest made you quit? Gathering planetary materials? Play a nightstalker with keen scout (or use a ghost that highlights the stuff you need to gather) and it's fast and easy. Listen to a podcast/watch a movie/series and you will be done before you know it.

Though I very much recommend trying the raid at least once on normal difficulty. It's not super difficult, especially if you have people that know what to do and running through the raid for the first time was awesome.

spyder_ur

Check back in 6 months or a year and see how much they mean. 3 weeks after Destiny launch basically all the nice things you wrote about Division would apply to Destiny.

I really like Division, but the loot is so uncreative - it doesn't compare to Destiny in that regard. You just get a better AK or knee pads (the lamest gear category I have ever seen).

Looking forward to trying those dailies and challenge missions though. And the numbers go up real nice in the Division for the point I'm at.

chur

Lol.
I used to think nightfalls were pretty tough. Then I became overleveled. Same thing will happen in the Division.

LTWood12

With double buffs I'll be interested to see if the Mythoclast is the best primary for this weeks nightfall.

Edit: oh right no fun allowed. They changed its status to "primary" in year 2.

Just did 3 raids and 3 nightfalls back to back with an LFG group and one friend(who was an LFG add) starting at reset. That was the first and last time I will EVER do that.

phen0m24

Had a parenting awakening this morning. Josh has always had fun when he takes over my chair and runs raids or trials or pvp. (and usually beats me)

Loves playing with DGAF as much as I do. I haven't told him yet, but I ordered him his own ps4. I don't know why it took me so long to realize I would rather make memories with him than tell him about all the fun I had with you guys. I'm hoping it's not too late for him to get in on some shenanigans with us.

Please forgive an old fart Dad's teary mumbling. Heart you DGAF.

LTWood12

Had a parenting awakening this morning. Josh has always had fun when he takes over my chair and runs raids or trials or pvp. (and usually beats me)

Loves playing with DGAF as much as I do. I haven't told him yet, but I ordered him his own ps4. I don't know why it took me so long to realize I would rather make memories with him than tell him about all the fun I had with you guys. I'm hoping it's not too late for him to get in on some shenanigans with us.

That's freaking awesome dude.

spyder_ur

Father of the year - ColonelOCorn

I know those feels

WeTeHa

Just did 3 raids and 3 nightfalls back to back with an LFG group and one friend(who was an LFG add) starting at reset. That was the first and last time I will EVER do that.

"lf5m, 319+, ToM+spindle required, wear challenge mode emblem. don't suck"?

Edit:
Weteha, what time you doing the raids today? I have to pay a visit to my college in a bit then I'll be back.

Hmm, will probably post a list a couple hours (4-5 hours) from now. Then we can start whenever. Still have some work to do :(

WipedOut

Didn't I raise this question to you the other day? Surprised it took you this long. I'll be glad to help out.

Namikaze1

The only thing Destiny should learn from the Division is having (optional) matchmaking for almost everything. That's it. Bungie could be more fair with loot drop as well but whatevs.

Edit: also, lol

It's been just one week. Most folks still are under geared. You know, like many were in Destiny's first week. :/

Top Bottom