• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there an efficient way to gather materials? My stores are incredibly low.

WipedOut

It's not Fatebringer, but it feels damn good.
0tKkULCh.jpg

hehe, I should but I won't.

I've been gathering so much 330 infusion fodder I'm not sure what to do with it yet. The game hasn't been this rewarding for PVE players since the loot cave. It really feels more like diablo now. From vanguard boosting last night not only did I level up my Vanguard, but also New Monarchy and Cryptarch from all the blues and purples that dropped.

Daemul

The point of this game was never about just reaching max light level, the grind to max light level is just part of the process, and usually the worst part tbh.

The real game starts when you have to min/max all of your gear, and that's why HoW and this update have been praised, because they make this long ass process much easier like should always be the case. If all you care about is reaching LL335 and you don't give a damn about getting perfect rolled weapons and armour then there's not much for you sadly, but for the rest of us this shit will keep us busy for months.

LTWood12

Jade rabbit for coe. If you do it right uou never have to reload

I don't know how you slow ROF scout people do it. I call this 'The Juice.'
BsuHg24l.png

hehe, I should but I won't.

I've been gathering so much 330 infusion fodder I'm not sure what to do with it yet. The game hasn't been this rewarding for PVE players since the loot cave. It really feels more like diablo now. From vanguard boosting last night not only did I level up my Vanguard, but also New Monarchy and Cryptarch from all the blues and purples that dropped.

You should. It's beautiful.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Court of Oryx is great for farming armor materials. Weapon parts to some extent too. You can also purchase weapon parts in packs of 5 for 250 glimmer from the gunsmith.

Whoops, I meant the raw materials like Spinmetal and Relic Iron.

Daemul

Agreed, my mates and I are loving this shit. During the livestreams we were being so down about everything and talking shit about the game, but now we're eating crow because Bungie have finally gotten it right.

Bungie don't fucking let yourselves down in Y3, you've done good here.

Daemul

I'm trying to find a better looking chest with similar roll to the one I have now because my current chest doesn't go with the rest of my armour at all.

If only the VoG armour could be infused, that Hunter chestpiece still looks boss.

Nothing fun about chasing numbers; bungie did what should have happened months ago. Now people can seek equipment and optimize their builds without worrying about infusion system holding them back.
Don't get me wrong, I love the new infusion system. And once people get to 335, it is of course better that drops stay in the upper range so optimization is an option.

But I personally like games that have a steady sense of progression. House of Wolves had that for me. Every week I got a little closer to max level.

I actually wish infusion was just completely gone and guns just dropped with their stats and perks as the only differentiating factors.

Make level 50 the new max and the only way to get there is by playing. The light level system has always just been an artificial barrier to playing the endgame activities in a skill-based game.

I mean the new infusion system makes this basically the case but you still need to have infusion fodder for your new gun.

All in all, the new update has re-invigorated my interest in the game. But I don't think I'll play it to optimize builds or get every gun to 335. I just want to have fun with things.

WipedOut

Agreed, my mates and I are loving this shit. During the livestreams we were being so down about everything and talking shit about the game, but now we're eating crow because Bungie have finally gotten it right.

Bungie don't fucking let yourselves down in Y3, you've done good here.

Once I saw 1:1 infusion I knew I was back IN. I didn't understand though how generous they were going to be with the drops. that was a great surprise. I rememeber how pissed people were when we kept seeing the "Up to" light level comments. Once you hit 331+ almost everything is either 334/335 from Raid and CoE. The +6 upgrade progression truly is great.

Also once you hit 330 every faction drops automatic 330 gear.

moerser

i recently started again after i quit as soon as i hit max level in vanilla. i have to say this feels like a completely different game (in a good way) now and im having a lot of fun.

I decided to pull the trigger and try getting back into the game, re: my previous post about wanting to get the Legendary Edition after not having played since vanilla.

And I forgot how beautiful this game could be. Seamlessly walking from the Moon's surface to an underground silo with these little pops of detail, selling the idea of something that is both futuristic for our time but outdated for the game's.

My character still had the Bad Seed Down and Invective, so I'm using those. Are either of those still viable once ascended?

I popped into the Crucible and have been enjoying that, but I get wrecked easily. Is there a gear disparity even when playing modes that don't have a level disparity? It doesn't feel like the weapons are normalized completely. Should I wait until I hit level cap again?

I like the update but I think Bungie went a bit too far to correct the progress rate. Hitting 335 within the week (or day) isn't necessarily a good thing, for longevity's sake.

That was my point earlier about all the farming, what the fuck are people going to do in a month? I've only played one character and thats only at 324

These arguments are coming from such a fundamentally different place from my own experience & mindset it's sometimes hard to grok. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's a different gameplay goal.

The level of grind before was only "good" for two kinds of players: players who only play for the grind and/or the players who are obsessives who dump hundreds of hours into the game. (I include myself in this later group.)

This new rewarding system is light-years better for every other player, but especially time poor players (like myself with a newborn) or players who hate the grind (like myself). The fun in Gjallarhorn wasn't in the chase. It was in blowing up motherfuckers and their goddamned home planet all in one blast.

When asked what can there be done in a month when you've hit 335 on your ideal loadouts? For me, the answer is plain: play the actual game. Is Crucible fun for your outside of the rewards screen or not? It was for years for me in Halo.

Max light is finally easy, which now means you can grind to bring up all your guns as opposed to just the ones you know are good. There are enough drops to experiment. And there's still plenty of grind. Grasp of Malok is still stupid rare. There's a new set of Sublime armor. The Taken Shotgun is probably the rarest gun in the game. There are a bunch of Year 1 legendaries to hunt down.

This update has moved grind outside of the main progression loop and targeted the 1%, the people who want ideal stat rolls, who want the rare drop weapons, who want all the exotic Faction marks, who want all that with gear that looks good.

If you're unhappy with how fast you're progressing towards the cap, I think the problem isn't the progress, the problem is how little there is to do at the cap. How few skill builds there are. How few armor builds there are. But that's a topic for another time.

Daemul

Once I saw 1:1 infusion I knew I was back IN. I didn't understand though how generous they were going to be with the drops. that was a great surprise. I rememeber how pissed people were when we kept seeing the "Up to" light level comments. Once you hit 331+ almost everything is either 334/335 from Raid and CoE. The +6 upgrade progression truly is great.

Also once you hit 330 every faction drops automatic 330 gear.

Yeah the 1:1 infusion reveal didn't do much to hold back the anger since we didn't know that they were implementing a proper smart loot system and at the same time being super generous with the amount of avenues that you could reach LL335.

It was a very pleasant surprise to say the least.

LTWood12

These arguments are coming from such a fundamentally different place from my own experience & mindset it's sometimes hard to grok. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's a different gameplay goal.

The level of grind before was only "good" for two kinds of players: players who only play for the grind and/or the players who are obsessives who dump hundreds of hours into the game. (I include myself in this later group.)

This new rewarding system is light-years better for every other player, but especially time poor players (like myself with a newborn) or players who hate the grind (like myself). The fun in Gjallarhorn wasn't in the chase. It was in blowing up motherfuckers and their goddamned home planet all in one blast.

When asked what can there be done in a month when you've hit 335 on your ideal loadouts? For me, the answer is plain: play the actual game without worrying about drops. Is Crucible fun for your outside of the rewards screen or not? It was for years for me in Halo.

Max light is finally easy, which now means you can grind to bring up all your guns as opposed to just the ones you know are good. There are enough drops to experiment. And there's still plenty of grind. Grasp of Malok is still stupid rare. There's a new set of Sublime armor. The Taken Shotgun is probably the rarest gun in the game. There are a bunch of Year 1 legendaries to hunt down.

This update has moved grind outside of the main progression loop and targeted the 1%, the people who want ideal stat rolls, who want the rare drop weapons, who want all the exotic Faction marks, who want all that with gear that looks good.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. I wish the Taken Shotgun wasn't garbage. Maybe if we ever get another pve shotty buff it'll be good.

X-Frame

Can the Spektar gear roll with more PvP focused perks? I bought a few Sterling Treasure packages and got like 4 helms all with Inverse Shadow. Great for PvE but wondering if the grenade kill for super cooldown bonus also drops?

LTWood12

Got a Soulstealer's claw (Doctrine archetype) w/ Hammer Forged, Lightweight (meh), and Hidden Hand.

W/ Hammer forged range should be around 30, but stability is only 48. Even worth trying or should i just infuse into something else?

When asked what can there be done in a month when you've hit 335 on your ideal loadouts? For me, the answer is plain: play the actual game. Is Crucible fun for your outside of the rewards screen or not? It was for years for me in Halo.

Well said, as always. I change my mind :)

I decided to pull the trigger and try getting back into the game, re: my previous post about wanting to get the Legendary Edition after not having played since vanilla.

And I forgot how beautiful this game could be. Seamlessly walking from the Moon's surface to an underground silo with these little pops of detail, selling the idea of something that is both futuristic for our time but outdated for the game's.

My character still had the Bad Seed Down and Invective, so I'm using those. Are either of those still viable once ascended?

I popped into the Crucible and have been enjoying that, but I get wrecked easily. Is there a gear disparity even when playing modes that don't have a level disparity? It doesn't feel like the weapons are normalized completely. Should I wait until I hit level cap again?

Hey this is perfect timing, i think we already added eachother but just in case we didn't send me a psn friend request: bobs_99

Picked it up just the other day myself so im completely new to the new content. Which is kind of exciting

ocean

Banned
Launched CoE because I need one more run for a rank up.

Anyone willing to join to help make it go quicker is welcome :)

In it now

Whoops, I meant the raw materials like Spinmetal and Relic Iron.

Nightstalker hunter with keen scout and a ghost that gives you the material on engram pickup. Run around patrol picking up materials, chests and engrams. It's boring but faster than it used to be.

Once you're done infusing just buy them with marks.

Daemul

Hmm, a Party Crasher dropped for me last night in PvP and it has rifled barrel like the Conspiracy Theory we all got from doing that one TTK quest, along with Aggressive Ballistics, but AB's got nerfed bad :(

The fire rate is much faster than the Conspiracy Theory and it does a sliver less damage, so I'll probably infuse my 335 Conspiracy Theory into my new Party Crasher because I tired of waiting for what feels like hours for the CP to fire a second shot, it's caused so many damn deaths for me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The POE shotgun is conspiracy theory like. Huge impact. Get one to drop with the goods and it is a good alternative.

Deku Tree

If you're unhappy with how fast you're progressing towards the cap, I think the problem isn't the progress, the problem is how little there is to do at the cap. How few skill builds there are. How few armor builds there are. But that's a topic for another time.

IMO everyone will have the Taken Shotgun once the strike where it drops is the NF which will probably happen tomorrow.

Right now it's almost impossible to even play the Taken Archon strike.

Daemul

I haven't even bothered to line up Heroic Strikes and look for the Taken Archon Strike, I would be there all day. Didn't Nami need to back out of 27 strikes or something like that before he got it?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I've played the Taken Archon. Instead of the pod thing comes out of a huge taken ball. And he's much harder than vanilla. It's like that Black spindle guy all over again. Also they took out the cheese spots where you can jump up ledge and snipe.

Top Bottom