• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Daemul

Dat SBMM though. Its parameters are so strict that it would rather start a Mayhem Clash game with 8 people instead of widening it's search for 4 more people
KuGsj.gif

John are you gonna play tonight? Its been a while since you enjoyed Mercury's view.

I need redemption John. Plus, the Elo climb...

I want redemption too. The 3 of us have never failed to get to Mercury on a weekend before and it has been too long since I've seen Mercury. The last time I did was when I got my Scarab. I'll see how the day shapes up. Alternatively, I could spend it doing CoE (which I haven't touched) and get my LL up for next weekend.

Funny story, the tweet where I announced that I was a SCARAB LORD got twice(!) the # of impressions as the one where I announced the birth of my son.

I decided to pull the trigger and try getting back into the game, re: my previous post about wanting to get the Legendary Edition after not having played since vanilla.

And I forgot how beautiful this game could be. Seamlessly walking from the Moon's surface to an underground silo with these little pops of detail, selling the idea of something that is both futuristic for our time but outdated for the game's.

My character still had the Bad Seed Down and Invective, so I'm using those. Are either of those still viable once ascended?

I popped into the Crucible and have been enjoying that, but I get wrecked easily. Is there a gear disparity even when playing modes that don't have a level disparity? It doesn't feel like the weapons are normalized completely. Should I wait until I hit level cap again?

All Year 1 weapons have been "left behind" so you won't be able to ascend those weapons into Year 2 viability. As for Crucbile, there is no gear/light level disparity in regular Crucible but it can feel that way when people have better guns (and probably more playtime) than you. People with god rolled weapons can kill you faster because the weapon perks are better, not because it's higher light or anything like that.

And yeah, totally agree about appreciating the art direction. Sometimes I go wander around the planets just to remind myself of all the great little details. The Moon in particular has a really distinctive feeling, with the 2001-esque creepy music and the Swiss cheese subterranean tunnels.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was determined at Bungie that making the LL climb to 320 so hard actually dettered players from Iron Banner and Trials. Because the average person doesn't know the statistical difference between a 320 and a 305, so they probably just figure they're going to get their ass beat, and thus don't play.

I bet you the next 3 months worth of Trials attendance is better than the last 3 months.

Same with Iron Banner. I bet we get a much larger pool of players.

It sucks that you can't see how many time's you've completed Challenge of the Elders from the grimoire on Bungie.net.

You can see how many times you completed the subclass missions (which aren't repeatable) so hopefully it's something they just haven't gotten around to adding yet.

Edit: Looks like DTR keeps track of it. I've done 65.

ocean

Banned
I don't get people who feel reaching max light quickly is a bad thing. It's like what keeps you playing is a higher number?

This update is like HoW: you can forget about the stupid boring grind and focus on playing the game how you want it. Having multiple sets of armor look and perform the way you want them to without FarmVille style inventory management.

I like having Int Dis Void armor with sniper ammo buff for PvE Hunter. But also Dis Str shotgun ammo for PvP. And having competitive LL Trials and IB armor sets. Being able to max out gunsmith weapons for the heck of it. And doing it in a reasonable amount of time.

And when I get all the armor sets and loadouts how I want them, game over? No, now you play the game and forget about loot forever. That was the beauty of HoW: we weren't chasing anything. We had everything we wanted. It was just joyful Control trains every day where everybody had the best weapons and armor <3

Taken King honestly ruined the game - been saying so since it came out (at length). This update manages to fix many (but not all) the myriad ways they made the game worse.

Kalamari

The xp needed to level gear is still an absurd amount isn't it? They need to tweak that a bit to be more like weapons.

I wish they would just remove the leveling up requirement for weapons and armor. It's just an unnecessary grind, just give us gear that is ready-to-go, fighting RNGesus is a big enough grind in itself.

Homeboyd

All Year 1 weapons have been "left behind" so you won't be able to ascend those weapons into Year 2 viability. As for Crucbile, there is no gear/light level disparity in regular Crucible but it can feel that way when people have better guns (and probably more playtime) than you. People with god rolled weapons can kill you faster because the weapon perks are better, not because it's higher light or anything like that.

And yeah, totally agree about appreciating the art direction. Sometimes I go wander around the planets just to remind myself of all the great little details. The Moon in particular has a really distinctive feeling, with the 2001-esque creepy music and the Swiss cheese subterranean tunnels.
What controller are you using on PS? I should be switching in the next week and the one thing I'm not looking forward to is using that PS controller. I know I can use the Xbone controller with a chronus but no headset unless USB. Just curious what your set up was.

Don't really hear anyone talking about the Zen Meteor. Guess it has fallen into novelty column of exotics.
I haven't even leveled mine up or fired it all. The perk sounds pretty lame

They should have made it proc off precision hits instead of just kills. At least it then it could potentially be useful for boss fights.

Deku Tree

I haven't even leveled mine up or fired it all. The perk sounds pretty lame

They should have made it proc off precision hits instead of just kills. At least it then it could potentially be useful for boss fights.

That would be too OP. All your favorite PvE weapons are nerfed for PvP.

Don't really hear anyone talking about the Zen Meteor. Guess it has fallen into novelty column of exotics.

Yeah it never really stood a chance. PvP balancing strikes again. The "rapid" requirement is pretty strict for the perk to proc then you only have 5 seconds to find something worthwhile to shoot with the bonus round. I saw a streamer get 3 head shots pretty darn quick but wasn't fast enough to proc Dynamite.

Didn't want people "final rounding" in Crucible I assume, there's no PvE reason to make the perk that situational. Even in PvE, when would you ever want to kill 3 trash just to do extra damage to one big enemy? You can do more DPS just focusing on the big guy. I can't think of any use for it.

X-Frame

Hmm, a Party Crasher dropped for me last night in PvP and it has rifled barrel like the Conspiracy Theory we all got from doing that one TTK quest, along with Aggressive Ballistics, but AB's got nerfed bad :(

The fire rate is much faster than the Conspiracy Theory and it does a sliver less damage, so I'll probably infuse my 335 Conspiracy Theory into my new Party Crasher because I tired of waiting for what feels like hours for the CP to fire a second shot, it's caused so many damn deaths for me.

Party Crasher w/ Rifled Barrel hits the Range cap anyway and Aggressive doesn't remove any Range (just Stability which is worthless on shotguns), therefore Aggressive + Rifled is maximum damage and maximum Range (unless you get the same roll but with Rangefinder).

IMO your roll will outclass the CT-D in many ways. The double fire rate makes a huge difference in terms of follow up shots. Plus, aiming down sights with Party Crasher actually reduces the spread of bullets (almost similar to Shot Package) whereas that does not happen with CT-D.

ocean

Banned
Yeah it never really stood a chance. PvP balancing strikes again. The "rapid" requirement is pretty strict for the perk to proc then you only have 5 seconds to find something worthwhile to shoot with the bonus round. I saw a streamer get 3 head shots pretty darn quick but wasn't fast enough to proc Dynamite.

Didn't want people "final rounding" in Crucible I assume, there's no PvE reason to make the perk that situational. Even in PvE, when would you ever want to kill 3 trash just to do extra damage to one big enemy? You can do more DPS just focusing on the big guy. I can't think of any use for it.
Killing a Minotaur in one shot with a big explosion is a sight to behold though

Feorax

Ok, so spent some time with the update.

Strike and story mission are too short (although Ghost is on form with humour at least) and pretty disappointing, but I feel like I've made more progress in 2 hours than I probably did in 2 weeks when I last played TTK.

Some very good additions, although to be honest, it's been a while since TTK came out, I expected a fair bit of this would have been implemented sooner.

Lnkn52

Ok, so spent some time with the update.

Strike and story mission are too short (although Ghost is on form with humour at least) and pretty disappointing, but I feel like I've made more progress in 2 hours than I probably did in 2 weeks when I last played TTK.

Some very good additions, although to be honest, it's been a while since TTK came out, I expected a fair bit of this would have been implemented sooner.

The Ghost making fun of Eris is the best.

I've been cursed this week in Trials. First we match up twice against streamers with > 3.0 K/Ds, followed by our team getting disconnected before the game starts and again a full team disconnect when we were leading 3-0.

I don't get people who feel reaching max light quickly is a bad thing. It's like what keeps you playing is a higher number?

This update is like HoW: you can forget about the stupid boring grind and focus on playing the game how you want it. Having multiple sets of armor look and perform the way you want them to without FarmVille style inventory management.

I like having Int Dis Void armor with sniper ammo buff for PvE Hunter. But also Dis Str shotgun ammo for PvP. And having competitive LL Trials and IB armor sets. Being able to max out gunsmith weapons for the heck of it. And doing it in a reasonable amount of time.

And when I get all the armor sets and loadouts how I want them, game over? No, now you play the game and forget about loot forever. That was the beauty of HoW: we weren't chasing anything. We had everything we wanted. It was just joyful Control trains every day where everybody had the best weapons and armor <3

Taken King honestly ruined the game - been saying so since it came out (at length). This update manages to fix many (but not all) the myriad ways they made the game worse.

I can't speak for everyone but I prefer games that have a steady sense of progression. Destiny seems to oscillate between quick (now) or tedious (Taken King). Somewhere in the middle would be my personal preference.

And I don't want to forget about loot, either. Grinding for amazing loot with gameplay as sublime as Destiny's is the reason I play. It is my fun.

Top Bottom