• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

No Drizzay sightings all weekend

;_;

Yeah I wasn't around much. Did a little Trials each day but that's it. Sounds like Oryx was still being a jerk to the Fun Runners. Were people thinking of doing runs on Wednesday nights again? Seems like there are more than 6 available runners but I'm always happy to help if needed. I just don't want to take someone's spot since I never need the loot.

Did you, Justin and Shadari (sp?) make some good progress on your characters?

SonComet

Played for the first time since January this weekend. Challenge of the elders was a good time. I'm glad it seems to be set up as relaxing fun and not an insane challenge requiring perfection like HM Oryx.

Rediscovered my hate of wiping on HM Oryx for hours with nothing to show for it.

Did heroic strikes and scored an okay imago loop. It has sureshot, hot swap, reinforced barrel, and firefly. It's not perfect, but I've been using it with plan C to make myself feel like hot swap isn't worthless.

All these people dumping out of heroic strikes to get the Taken Winter's Run and I'll laugh when it's the nightfall next week.

That strike has always tickled me because the name of the river behind my childhood home is Winter's Run.

All these people dumping out of heroic strikes to get the Taken Winter's Run and I'll laugh when it's the nightfall next week.

That strike has always tickled me because the name of the river behind my childhood home is Winter's Run.

Can the shotgun even hit the range cap? Someone had it in a Trials match over the weekend. I didn't notice him doing too much with it when I gave him the
Conspiracy Theory
D

WeTeHa

Tier 5 DIS
Tier 5 STR
Tier 2 INT
Graviton for Keen Scout + Shadestep

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm working on. Currently at 1/5/5 with 30-40 points extra depending on the gear I wear.

Yeah. I hope it's the NF soon. I really don't want to quit strikes for hours.

Dez_

You and me in a fireteam. Classic rumble. Callout where we are and kill each other till we complete it. I need that stupid quest as well.

I think a couple of other gaffers need the quest as well. I remember adding somebody because of it but I forgot who it was :S
That's probably me. I still would like to complete that quest, but I realize that the different time zones make this difficult. If this is something that can be done later on in the week, great! I'm not going to worry over this if it can't happen. Maybe it wasn't meant to be :p

Thanks for the reply.

Not played much Trials before.....ran about 3 cards in year 1 and haven't played any in year 2. I've got loads of passage coins, I'm in the UK. I'd say I'm an above average PvP'er and really want to improve so it would be great if we could somehow arrange a card or 2!

Hey, what's your availability today? I think it's currently 6:43 pm your time?

phen0m24

;_;

Yeah I wasn't around much. Did a little Trials each day but that's it. Sounds like Oryx was still being a jerk to the Fun Runners. Were people thinking of doing runs on Wednesday nights again? Seems like there are more than 6 available runners but I'm always happy to help if needed. I just don't want to take someone's spot since I never need the loot.

Did you, Justin and Shadari (sp?) make some good progress on your characters?

Lol teasing you mang. :) I got mine all to 321. Justin got one to 335. Shadari didn't grind all that much.

Played for the first time since January this weekend. Challenge of the elders was a good time. I'm glad it seems to be set up as relaxing fun and not an insane challenge requiring perfection like HM Oryx.

Rediscovered my hate of wiping on HM Oryx for hours with nothing to show for it.

Yeah man agree on the Oryx point. That was a bummer. We had 12 bombs stacked up and 0 damage dealt. 0. Disheartening for sure. :(

Tier 5 DIS
Tier 5 STR
Tier 2 INT
Graviton for Keen Scout + Shadestep
Pulse Rifle Reload + Quick Melee Gauntlets
Shotgun Ammo Void Armor Chest
Sniper / Rocket Second Wind Boots
Aesthetics - zero King's Fall garbage

This is the dream. It'll never happen :(

I'm always torn between quick melee and grenade throw especially nightstalkers. But yea, either this or having triple jump with bones with better control.

Single jump shotgun to the face then a double jump before even landing with another shotgun to the face... That's pretty badass.

I'm at such a cross-roads with Destiny. I'm incredibly time-poor when it comes to un-distracted 2 hour blocks of time, so I have to be deliberate about how I spend my time.

Destiny is a huge time investment, and rewards going all in, something I've always been able to to do in the past. I've always been a Destiny die-hard, but can I become a casual, which is what my time budget dictates right now. Destiny has always sat comfortably alongside all of the other things I want to do in my life, but caring for a helpless person is a lot of effort, such that putting Destiny on the side burner so I can do other things might be a good idea, but I'm still trying to make a decision:

Reasons to take a break
  • Destiny has a very high time committment even for casual play and the time commitment is highest at the start of new content.
  • I've already accomplished everything I've wanted for this year (Hard Raid, Challenge Modes, all ghosts, all achievements, went flawless weeks in a row, even got a Scarab.)
  • I can play other games, and less Destiny is the only way to do that. (Witcher 3 is only 50% done, The Witness, Dragon Age & a bunch of new stuff coming out.)
  • I can work on other hobbies.
  • I need to do at least some grinding to be maximally effective again in Trials, which isn't inticing.
  • Light system upgrades are finally friendly enough I can afford to take a break and it not leave me incredibly far behind.
  • My super-restrictive schedule has made it impossible to raid for the past month and has made Trials very hit or miss. To the point I feel bad about making others adapt to my schedule just to make something happen.
Reasons to not take a break
  • Times playing with DGAF are the most fun I've had in any video game, and I don't want to give that up.
  • I have great groups of DGAFers for Raids & Trials, and taking a break from Destiny really feels more like taking a break from friends, which sucks. (This is probably the biggest negative)
  • Not playing, but spending time on the boards is a great way to get salty af.
  • I've finally gotten some skill in Crucible, and I've seen how much just a few weeks off can erode that.
  • The general rewards are great now, so I can play and get good stuff. There's great incentive to finish the campaign on my alts.
  • There are still some things to chase like my last 2 missing exotics (Zen Meteor & Tarantella) and that sweet, sweet Sublime Titan armor.
  • While progression is faster, most of the people are here now and finding raid groups will be harder later. Trials will be less forgiving later.
There's the notion that the first 3 months of a baby's life are really the 4th trimester, and they're still developing to what would be a normal birth for any other animal; they're just doing it outside the womb. Now you can understand why these are by far the most challenging times & why they're the most tiring. I'm one month in. So this is only a temporary situation. But where will DGAF be in 2 more months?

Absolutes are easy. I could quit Destiny like so many have, like my friends have. Moderation is difficult. I'm not talking about rage quitting. I'm not talking about quitting at all, but rather becoming more casual. Moving Destiny from my main game to my side game. But that's such a seachange from the last 1.5 years. I have 700 hours of giving into every psychological hook in Destiny, of playing with friends and DGAF. Is it possible to switch gears? And what would "casual" Destiny even be like?

jRSMecP.png

I've taken breaks from Destiny before, but they've always been when I'm sick of the game or annoyed with it. Those breaks are negative. I'm trying to figure out how to take a break when the game is good, when the community is great. It was easy enough to dial it way down when I had more free time, but it's a tougher proposition when you have a newborn and so little time. For comparison, noomi just had a baby and is just straight up taking a break from The Division & Destiny.

tl;dr: I want to play as much Destiny as I want, and I want to get a full nights sleep and play other games and spend time with my family. I just want it all, DGAF. (Not expecting anyone else to make a decision or respond. Just something that I've been trying to figure out and writing helps me think.)

Back to your regularly scheduled LFG & LL discussions. Thank you for your patience.

WeTeHa

That's probably me. I still would like to complete that quest, but I realize that the different time zones make this difficult. If this is something that can be done later on in the week, great! I'm not going to worry over this if it can't happen. Maybe it wasn't meant to be :p

Yeah, it probably was you. Sorry, I should stop deleting messages all the time. :p
If you see me online and want to complete the quest step just shoot me a message, this thing only takes a few minutes and I'm happy to help out.

Thanks to Jayforone I was just able to complete it myself and with that my year 2 exotic weapons collection (well... at armsday, anway :p)

phen0m24

Take the break, John. Your kids are only little once. All us helplessly addicted nerds will be around if not immediately definitely in time for Destiny 2. I suffer from fear of missing out a lot, but in this case, the opportunity cost of:
Time spent with newborn > time spent with DGAF is astronomical.

Take. The. Break.
A single dad's quasi rant. :)

Take the break, John. Your kids are only little once. All us helplessly addicted nerds will be around if not immediately definitely in time for Destiny 2. I suffer from fear of missing out a lot, but in this case, the opportunity cost of:
Time spent with newborn > time spent with DGAF is astronomical.

Take. The. Break.
A single dad's quasi rant. :)

Thanks, man. I appreciate that and you're totally right.

As a point of clarification: I put my fam first, this is more me being angsty about what do I do with the 2-4 hours of dedicated personal time I get week. (I get more free time than that, guys, that's just the time I get that is distraction / responsibility free)

phen0m24

Thanks, man. I appreciate that and you're totally right.

As a point of clarification: I put my fam first, this is more me being angsty about what do I do with the 2-4 hours of dedicated personal time I get week.

Even there, I was trying to raid Sunday and my little guy was after me wanting something and I was like "but raid." Before I know it he'll be in high school though... My older one is in 7th grade next year and I'm frequently freaking out.

I say hit your backlog. Having done all there is to do in Destiny 1,286 times already, maybe another experience or 2 (or 12) might not be bad. :)

Where you at? I need that stupid quest done also. One less exotic to the collection

I call dibs on Igor and Ape.

I don't think we've actually played together yet Kor. We should fix that soon!

Igor is really the one you want. He's Jordan and I'm Pipen...but I'm probably actually Rodman tbh

ONLY 90S BULLS FANS WILL GET THAT REFERENCE. Where's Frenden when I need him?

I only say play less Destiny John if you're going to start that PvP blog/critique/guide/gameplay recap thing :)

Igor is really the one you want. He's Jordan and I'm Pipen...but I'm probably actually Rodman tbh

I only say play less Destiny John if you're going to start that PvP blog/critique/guide/gameplay recap thing :)

Drizzay is Phil Jackson (in a world where the coach actually plays) and I'll be Ron Harper

I guess that means I can be Clinton?

kyjaIhF.jpg

BLCKATK

Hey would anyone be willing to help with the Nightfall in about 30 minutes? I just got above 320, so I think it's time to do it before reset.

I definitely can't relate just yet but I understand. I say if you feel like you have a day where there's a good 2 hours (a typical run takes an hour and a good few minutes for a buffer), you can always see if the stars align that weekend. I wouldn't worry about getting max light. While it does help, it's not completely necessary. Being 320 is still ok. Plus with 5 and 7 wins you'll continue to get higher stuff including G the bounties.

But yea, I wouldn't sweat it if the stars didn't align because they will sometimes and you know the priority is your newborn.

Whenever you know you'll be free for the necessary block of time you can always post and message the usuals. Of course we know that sometimes you just won't know until about the time you'll actually be free. It'll work out. Breaks are totally necessary for this game at this current state, imo.

WeTeHa

Hey would anyone be willing to help with the Nightfall in about 30 minutes? I just got above 320, so I think it's time to do it before reset.

Sure. Still looking for a 335 helmet.
Ideally we get a third and melt the boss with telesto before he can do anything.

Shito

Take a break and come back for the September expansion.
Then take another break and come back for Destiny 2. :)

Right now there is not much to do anyways apart for min/maxing your gear, which will be made useless in the next DLC, so don't sweat it too much.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies and support, DGAF. <3.

(hopefully this is the last reply on the page and my angsty post doesn't get dragged onward.)

edit: BOOM!

Will probably dial it back a bit, but try to run Trials on Friday nights if schedules line up and maybe something midweek like Shaxx bounties or some CoE.

Top Bottom