• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

LTWood12

Cool article from Kirk @ Kotaku about Destiny's UI Design.

http://kotaku.com/what-destiny-s-menus-could-have-looked-like-1765527082

Yesterday at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco I attended a talk titled “Tenacious Design and The Interface of Destiny,” given by Bungie lead UI designer David Candland. Given that I’m A) obsessed with Destiny and B) obsessed with video game UI in general and Destiny’s UI in particular, this talk was as squarely up my alley as a game design talk can be.

po80a0oiyxhpdiq00dcb.jpg

nmiyjr1ttonjj9qsmu3w.jpg

bwlhnrniql6ytpsg19jn.png

Me with the Highest Elo and lowest KD...

batemantacothrow.gif~c200

Cause that's how Ape do yah'll ;)

Igor is clearly just a murder machine.
He just snipes everyone before I can get there :p

Tripmines yo! Great post John. Love seeing this stuff!
The funny thing is that the lowest elo team was your final boss, go matchmaking

WeTeHa

Anybody want to run VoG HM?

1. WeTeHa
2. Der_Pate
3. Light_Knight_Sky

Can start immediately.

Edit: Night_Knight, you just signed off when I sent you a message :p

spyder_ur

Cool stuff on the UI - thanks for posting. One thing that's struck me after playing the Division is just how elegant the Destiny interface is, in most regards.

Bungie did a magnificent job with the ui/ux. The Division has too many actions required to complete one thing.

I don't mind the standard menu, but I really don't care for the director at all. It's not intuitive to a new player, and the different icons don't make sense. And some missions have this dotted line path, that sometimes doesn't even match up with the path you'll take in the mission itself.

I really think that thing needs a lot of work (read: massive overhaul).

Playing the Division makes me realize just how bad raid matchmaking would be. People I get matched with have a hard enough time staying alive, I can only imagine what would happen when faced with actual mechanics. I've had people go AFK indefinitely, and I have heard of people being being kicked towards the end of the mission so that the party leader could invite a friend to get the loot without doing any of the work.

I have had pretty decent experience with MM in thr division but overall it's been successful. I can understand the complaints about MM in Destiny Raids and I agree with you, raid MM could be a mess just because Raids in Destiny get pretty complex at times but still you gotta give people options. If a player wants to use optional MM for raids, let them.

BUNGIE needs to learn how to respect the players time so incldue MM for everything in Destiny 2 so people can stop complaining abIut lack of MM. I personally would never use raid MM but NF and dailies, sure why not? The options shoulf always be there...

I know right? Elo and MM is such an odd thing at times.

I still don't get how my Elo climbed so much in Y2.

Slow & steady improvement.

3N2lrMI.png

See that surge in ELO in early Feb? That's from playing with me. ;) My low ELO (~1200) lowered the team ELO and thus gave you gains for beating teams you wouldn't otherwise. I boosted Igor similarly. Guardian.gg ELO only makes adjustments based on teams, so its best not to read too much into it.

I have had pretty decent experience with MM in thr division but overall it's been successful. I can understand the complaints about MM in Destiny Raids and I agree with you, raid MM could be a mess just because Raids in Destiny get pretty complex at times but still you gotta give people options. If a player wants to use optional MM for raids, let them.

BUNGIE needs to learn how to respect the players time so incldue MM for everything in Destiny 2 so people can stop complaining abIut lack of MM. I personally would never use MM but the option for raids but it should always be there....

Yeah I would imagine with it being a constant discussion point that in Destiny 2 they would probably strongly consider it. I don't know though, Bungie really seems to be up their own ass at times with the decisions they make so I could see them acting as if they are doing the playerbase a favor because nobody could possibly get through the inscrutable raids without nonstop communication even though we know that isn't the case.

Slow & steady improvement.

3N2lrMI.png

See that surge in ELO in early Feb? That's from playing with me. ;) My low ELO (~1200) lowered the team ELO and thus gave you gains for beating teams you wouldn't otherwise. I boosted Igor similarly. Guardian.gg ELO only makes adjustments based on teams, so its best not to read too much into it.

So I need to find a new 1200 Elo guy to start playing with I see...Kappa

What if I told you I could get you a hell of a deal on a 998 ELO this very weekend?

I'd be AT LEAST 1,098 if not for the vita :p

Haha LT Yes, we need to play a few cards again...when you're not on Vita :p Can't you send the family on vacation and you just stay home and Destiny?

What's a good ELO even considered?

Here's the Trials ELO distribution (ignore the arrow, that was Ape pre-playing with me):

0RVFgXp.png

That's from Guardian.gg which is a bit more inflated. Compare Guardian.gg with Destiny Tracker ELOs:

John 1363 vs 1305
Igor 1756 vs 1448
Ape 1949 vs 1516

Here's the Trials ELO distribution (ignore the arrow, that was Ape pre-playing with me):

0RVFgXp.png

That's from Guardian.gg which is a bit more inflated. Compare Guardian.gg with Destiny Tracker ELOs:

John 1363 vs 1305
Igor 1756 vs 1448
Ape 1949 vs 1516

Where do you guys find this chart? I've always wanted to see mine but can't seem to find it.

0RVFgXp.png

John 1363 vs 1305
Igor 1756 vs 1448
Ape 1949 vs 1516

So roughly 1200 is an average player in Trials.

Or as Macello would say, "Oh these guys will be easy" to which me and Icon are fighting for our very being against the most difficult players ever.

Top Bottom