• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One sword Crota. Good job everyone. Sword disappeared on first run. Yep just like old times.

I noticed you can't do abyss jump anymore. Darkness comes even quicker.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Got the oldschool Mida. Also Fang and Edict. Did the Fang always had third eye? It's been a while. It was my favorite weapon back during the CE days by far.

Grisby

So.

You guys made it to OT 40. Goddamn. Back in my day it was only OT 1,2, and 3.

For some reason, after playing the Division for basically a couple of weeks straight and capping off/finishing story/getting a yellow or two, I felt this very strong urge to come back to Destiny to check it out.

I actually feel like I'm having the same experience with the Division much like I did with Destiny. Playing it strong for the few weeks/first month it's out and then dropping off.

Anyways, I expect everything has changed from listening to all of the podcasts that were reppin' the King when it came out. I can't remember what my light level was, but really, the only thing I hadn't done was the raid. Oh, and since the story was so bad I ended up not even doing the final mission.

So. I'm going to hop in tomorrow to see whats new. Kind of excited really. I need to get a refresher on the story (do I?) and get ready to...lvl to 40 and eventually...start the grind again? What's everyone grinding toward?

No more Dinklebot. I wonder if the Cryptarch is more loved. He was a cruel mistress.

Dthomp

So.

You guys made it to OT 40. Goddamn. Back in my day it was only OT 1,2, and 3.

For some reason, after playing the Division for basically a couple of weeks straight and capping off/finishing story/getting a yellow or two, I felt this very strong urge to come back to Destiny to check it out.

I actually feel like I'm having the same experience with the Division much like I did with Destiny. Playing it strong for the few weeks/first month it's out and then dropping off.

Anyways, I expect everything has changed from listening to all of the podcasts that were reppin' the King when it came out. I can't remember what my light level was, but really, the only thing I hadn't done was the raid. Oh, and since the story was so bad I ended up not even doing the final mission.

So. I'm going to hop in tomorrow to see whats new. Kind of excited really. I need to get a refresher on the story (do I?) and get ready to...lvl to 40 and eventually...start the grind again? What's everyone grinding toward?

No more Dinklebot. I wonder if the Cryptarch is more loved. He was a cruel mistress.

If you start a new character you will still go through all the story missions of vanilla and the expansions, not that the story is super in depth.

WipedOut

2nd ever normal Crota Run!

image.jpg

ocean

Banned
If you haven't jumped on The Division and are on the fence check out Angry Joe's review. Spot on in my opinion, it's a solid 5/10 (perfectly average).

Fwiw I also agreed with every single complaint he had about Destiny in his infamous 6/10 review at launch.

I don't like his bombastic style but in terms of his actual opinion and argument I generally tend to share his take on games.

If you haven't jumped on The Division and are on the fence check out Angry Joe's review. Spot on in my opinion, it's a solid 5/10 (perfectly average).

Fwiw I also agreed with every single complaint he had about Destiny in his infamous 6/10 review at launch.

I don't like his bombastic style but in terms of his actual opinion and argument I generally tend to share his take on games.

I also agree with you and Angry Joe. The Division is average across the board. Its fun to play with friends but eventually it becomes stale. The end game really feel lacklust and a massive WIP. However an average score for me is 7/10 or an ~70 % just because I use academic grading scale.
yes I know 5/10 is average for mathematics and statistics

Academic scale for life.

The Division badly needs dedicated PvP to add to the endgame content as there isn't much else right now, and I've always enjoyed battling players more than AI.

Does The Division have any raid-level activites? Or at least something on the level of a Nightfall?

There are daily challenge missions that are close to nightfalls, but without any modifiers or anything like that, just tough high level enemies. The rewards are endgame currency and a guaranteed exotic. Next month they are adding a free update with "incursions" these will presumably be raid level activities, but whether or not there are going to be any interesting mechanics added has yet to be seen.

I'm at about 70 hours in the division or something crazy. It's very reminiscent of Vanilla Destiny except for 1 aspect.... PvP.

Dark Zone I feel like is just an extension of PvE whee players can get in the way of your loot, and another number to grind.

I just reached Rank 50 DZ today and I now have all High End gear AND most I'm satisfied with roll-wise. I'll reroll some when I get a few more blueprints.
Anyways, all I have done the past few days is 2x hard and 1x challenge daily (with the exception of Russian consulate last night, skipped), and farm dz for xp.

With that being said, my time in Division is about done until Dark Zone is updated or April's update, whichever comes first. There's really nothing to do anymore. I'll do the 3 dailies and that's it.

My estimate was correct. About 2 weeks of good play and on to the next one. I had fun for mostly everything except the last 20ish ranks of DZ. That was just a stupid grind since 95% of the loot is worse and sold it, dismantled for mats, or transfered to alt for mat factory. In hours upon hours, I've only ever gotten 2 high end things to drop in the dark zone and both were worse than my superior so I dismantled. If I was in need of superior stuff it would be awesome. I felt like everytime I finally got stuff from DZ it was too late and I got something great from somewhere else, with the exception of a few things like gun and gear mods and maybe a couple pieces of gear right when I was newly 30.

Also agreed. The DZ is too punishing for rouge agents its pointless to do it IMO.

Yeah, I've been running the dark zone mostly solo and I don't think I've been attacked once (I'm currently rank 33) so the balancing there definitely needs some work. I don't want to get ganked, but I should be occasionally, and I know people aren't just friendly by nature :p.

Skimming through the angry Joe thread I find I disturbing amount of people that claim The Division has more variety than Destiny and it boggles my mind. Things like variety of environments can't be helped, but things weapon design, enemy design, and visual design are by far and away much more varied in Destiny. Ghjallahorn is so different from your first rocket and fighting the Vex is a lot different than fighting Cabal. Also for as many clothes are available in the Division they all look like the same 3 north face jackets just in different colors, I want a peacoat, a poncho, or a duster! But I digress comparing the two games still seems like apples and oranges to me and both have their merits and faults.

On the topic of variety though, I hope that this spring update adds a ton of new gear. Part of current state of malaise probably arises due to a lack of loot to chase. With an full arsenal of new weapons and armor I could easily see myself even playing what we have now.

Marvel

could never
I hope that this spring update adds a ton of new gear. Part of current state of malaise probably arises due to a lack of loot to chase. With an full arsenal of new weapons and armor I could easily see myself even playing what we have now.
How I feel on the subject.

Jinjo

Also agreed. The DZ is too punishing for rouge agents its pointless to do it IMO.

You literally can lose more than 100 times the resources if you die than you can potentially gain from surviving.

I can't believe the devs thought: "yeah that seems fair math". SMH.

Jinjo

Get a thorn, firebolt grenades, Viking funeral, and top it off with the Ram hat, then head into PvP :)

Learn to love the warlock again :)

I think the point was that Hunters are way more fun to play than Warlocks.( Cause they are)

Using the boring staple cheese build for Warlocks isn't gonna up their "fun"-level.

MicSte79

Neo Member
I am up to Level 8 and enjoying this so far - really lovely gunplay.

Might need help from you fellow DestinyGaffers at some point - can't keep going solo!

WeTeHa

I am up to Level 8 and enjoying this so far - really lovely gunplay.

Might need help from you fellow DestinyGaffers at some point - can't keep going solo!

Sure. The story missions and most quests are pretty easy to complete solo, but some stuff (like the taken champions) and court of oryx is much easier in a fireteam.
You can add me on PSN.

Also, did you do the refer a friend thingy with anyone yet? Not sure what the rewards are (special sword, shader, emote...?), but you should definitely get on that.
I just ordered TTK, this is my hunter

Any tips on what to do first, it's been so long since I played.

Play the story missions. Get to level 40. Get Nightstalker subclass and level it up. Get to 280+ light by doing strikes, heroic strikes, court of oryx, etc. Always equip your highest light gear when decrypting engrams and only decrypt one at a time and then check if the new stuff is higher light. Use your first batch of legendary marks to buy Hung Jury SR4 from the dead orbit guy in the tower (rank 3 required?)
Do the refer a friend thing (are you on PSN or XBL?). I can help one of you.

Stevey

Sure. The story missions and most quests are pretty easy to complete solo, but some stuff (like the taken champions) and court of oryx is much easier in a fireteam.
You can add me on PSN.

Also, did you do the refer a friend thingy with anyone yet? Not sure what the rewards are (special sword, shader, emote...?), but you should definitely get on that.

Play the story missions. Get to level 40. Get Nightstalker subclass and level it up. Get to 280+ light by doing strikes, heroic strikes, court of oryx, etc. Always equip your highest light gear when decrypting engrams and only decrypt one at a time and then check if the new stuff is higher light. Use your first batch of legendary marks to buy Hung Jury SR4 from the dead orbit guy in the tower (rank 3 required?)
Do the refer a friend thing (are you on PSN or XBL?). I can help one of you.

Cool, I'm on XBL.
Thanks for the advice

Deku Tree

I'm at about 70 hours in the division or something crazy. It's very reminiscent of Vanilla Destiny except for 1 aspect.... PvP.

Dark Zone I feel like is just an extension of PvE whee players can get in the way of your loot, and another number to grind.

I just reached Rank 50 DZ today and I now have all High End gear AND most I'm satisfied with roll-wise. I'll reroll some when I get a few more blueprints.
Anyways, all I have done the past few days is 2x hard and 1x challenge daily (with the exception of Russian consulate last night, skipped), and farm dz for xp.

With that being said, my time in Division is about done until Dark Zone is updated or April's update, whichever comes first. There's really nothing to do anymore. I'll do the 3 dailies and that's it.

My estimate was correct. About 2 weeks of good play and on to the next one. I had fun for mostly everything except the last 20ish ranks of DZ. That was just a stupid grind since 95% of the loot is worse and sold it, dismantled for mats, or transfered to alt for mat factory. In hours upon hours, I've only ever gotten 2 high end things to drop in the dark zone and both were worse than my superior so I dismantled. If I was in need of superior stuff it would be awesome. I felt like everytime I finally got stuff from DZ it was too late and I got something great from somewhere else, with the exception of a few things like gun and gear mods and maybe a couple pieces of gear right when I was newly 30.

I got a lvl 31 superior holster to drop in the DZ. it's better than any lvl 30 high end holster that I have seen drop from CM missions.

Top Bottom