• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

By all the changes The Division has been making including today's patch (so many fixes the community wants, in less than 2 weeks!), I really wish Bungie was the same way with Destiny.

And their community manager has been responding to people like with wanting a fave/lock button.

Why can't we have that kind of communication or quick patches here?! I know their tools don't allow for that but I hope they're working on that. Communication oth doesn't seem to try to get improved.

While Massive's approach has been admirable, I think it is important to keep in mind how different they are in the development stage compared to Bungie. Bungie could be doing leagues better, but they are also basically on standby mode, whereas Massive released a game a few weeks ago that had some QoL features that were absent (ex: craft in multiples, bigger storage space, etc).

darthbob

I understand the old raid content not being updated, but people have speculated about it for literally MONTHS.

Bungie has to learn to shut that shit down immediately. Don't let it become a bunch of top voted reddit threads and just ignore it.

Doesn't help that there was literally a second set of VoG gear.

149.jpg

LTWood12

Arc Burn Hive you say? Fuckin' A Imma use Voidwalker and Red Death Motherfuckers!

edit: When he does switch to sunsinger it sort of gives you a window into how little he's actually played the game. When he's picking sublcass nodes he literally just clicks on every one that he hovers over, as if he thinks he can pick multiple things in the same column.

edit 2: He switches from Red Death to Vision of Confluence. It's arc burn.

By all the changes The Division has been making including today's patch (so many fixes the community wants, in less than 2 weeks!), I really wish Bungie was the same way with Destiny.

And their community manager has been responding to people like with wanting a fave/lock button.

Why can't we have that kind of communication or quick patches here?! I know their tools don't allow for that but I hope they're working on that. Communication oth doesn't seem to try to get improved.

I'm not hyped for Destiny's April's update, which I think is a good thing. Normally I'm like a kid Chritmas Eve hyped for weeks in advanced but now I'm not. I think it's good so I might be pleasantly surprised.

The biggest changes in every Division patch thus far have been nerfs to progression and drop rates.

Even this patch has progression nerfs.

You know what they didn't patch in yet though? An endgame.

While Massive's approach has been admirable, I think it is important to keep in mind how different they are in the development stage compared to Bungie. Bungie could be doing leagues better, but they are also basically on standby mode, whereas Massive released a game a few weeks ago that had some QoL features that were absent (ex: craft in multiples, bigger storage space, etc).

Yea that's very true.

It's commendable. I was going to stop with the exception of 2-3 dailies but now I might have to dabble in more DZ. This makes the grind to DZ 50 way less grindy. I learned to not go too crazy the first couple of weeks haha.

Iceman829

So, in light of Urk's tweet, here is my guess.

New PVE Challenges (The new strike)
New and Updated Gear (new vendor inventory)
New Quest featuring the Blighted Chalice Strike (new quest featuring new PVE challenge)
Increased Max Light and Rewards (via PoE)
Sandbox and Crucible Updates ( more nerfs, but maybe some 0.04% buffs)
And more… (PoE)

My expectations couldn't be any lower now.

I'm at the point the only reason I'd want to increase my light level going foward would be for PvP. Taken King has really soured me on the PvE aspect of the game since they took all the fun out of it by making every weapon mediocre.

Destiny Crucible update: We decided guns we too powerful. Everyone will now use Super Soakers and Bubble guns.

phen0m24

As much as I think deej could do so much
understatement
better as the CM, even if he just did twice a week streams one playing pve and the other pvp, people might see him as not quite the disconnected guy he comes across as.

He doesn't even Destiny

The biggest changes in every Division patch thus far have been nerfs to progression and drop rates.

They made DZ less frustrating for rogue players, how is that a bad thing? They made changes that a lot of people asked for and they gave us exactly what most people asked for.

What part has progression nerf?

They fixed some bugs but I don't see any progression nerfs.

They made named enemies go from 20 PC to 1-3, and they're fixing that slightly for higher level zones..

There is still no real end game, that's true. But the April update may change that.

This is my idea of what a good BWU/TWAB should actually look like:

This week at Bungie we're putting a gloss coat down on the April Update to make sure it lives up to our standards. We're basically in the finishing touches phase, while doing a bit a testing. Everything is still on track to release April 12th to the masses.

We mentioned before that there will be some Sandbox updates, but this time around we're actually going to make few and smaller adjustments. I realize that the last time around we had a bit of a failure to communicate, so let me avoid that, and clear up a few things.

Despite the minor tweaks and adjustments, I wanted to point out that weapon variety in the Crucible has been great since the last update. We've seen almost every weapon type fill out into their niche since the last update. Because of this, we're going to make a couple of very minor changes to HCs and FRs in hopes of bringing them more in line with the usage charts of their brethren. There will also be some focus on various perks that aren't seeing as much action and/or attention, but we'll wait for patch notes before I get into specifics.

Next, let's talk about the PvE updates. To give you guys a rough idea of what to expect. We're looking at adding 1 quest chain that involves 3 larger missions, 2 shorter missions, and a strike. This isn't everything we're adding, but sort of a bare minimum of what you can expect. Will there be more quests? Maybe... More missions? Maybe... But we'll let you guys have a chance to discover those details yourself. I will hint that there is at least one pretty big thing that hasn't been and wont be mentioned or referenced.

Now, on the other side of the coin is a bit of "bad news" so to speak. I realize I'm going to catch some flak for this, but the fact is, you guys have been asking about it for a while, and you deserve something of an update. Currently we have a rather large amount of rotating playlists. Probably more than we should, because a lot of them aren't seeing enough time on the field. However, in the interest of keeping those playlists, as well as others in range of a healthy player count, we have no plans to make any currently rotating playlist into something more permanent or regular. We DO plan to revisit the topic later down the road during a larger update or maybe even a release, but as of right now, we're putting it on the back burning.

And now Sports, with Cozmo....

I'm not going to proofread it or anything, but this is the general idea of what a BWU/TWAB should be. Let us know that the plans are still solid, or if there are any changes we should know about.

Let us know about future content in a way that both gives us something to immediately desire, as well as something that wants us to explore.

Finally, be straight forward about bad news. Ignore player demands for too long makes for upset players. At least addressing concerns, even if it isn't for the better, gets players to accept, and maybe move on to other issues of concern. Let a starving man know he isn't getting food anytime soon so he can at least start asking for water.

EL CUCO

Lol. Stopped by to see how my DGAF buddies we're doing, just to see Interficium getting rekt again. WP DGAF.

So what do you guys think the new LL will be at? Have they data mined any info on that yet?

I'm not hyped for Destiny's April's update, which I think is a good thing. Normally I'm like a kid Chritmas Eve hyped for weeks in advanced but now I'm not. I think it's good so I might be pleasantly surprised.

cuz their game just released, destiny have that kind of CM in the old days, but now without content what is the reason to keep so present? but now with new stuff their come back to show us and respond some stuff, im ok with this, not reason to keep showing to say "we are here but we have nothing to show, ok?"

What part has progression nerf?

They fixed some bugs but I don't see any progression nerfs.

They made named enemies go from 20 PC to 1-3, and they're fixing that slightly for higher level zones..

There is still no real end game, that's true. But the April update may change that.

They totally eliminated the BK named boss farm. They made it so the named bosses in PvE are totally gone once you eliminate them once, no timer, no nothing, just one and done.

It's like he sees Luke, who obviously has a certain impression left on the community, and he thinks to himself, "Hmm... people tend to like Luke. Luke has secrets. He loves mentioning that he'll never tell if VoG has been fully explored or not. He seems to always smile and joke when he says that, and the community jokes back with him...

Maybe if I keep even MORE secrets, the community will like me even MORE!"

Exactly. He talks at us, never with us.

Yeah, the same Luke Smith that "the community" was sending a bunch of death threats and firing ultimatums to after an interview. You guys love that dude!

Listen, I get it, when you're not getting the things you want it's "bad communication" and when you are getting them it's "good communication." That's simple to understand. Propping up the Division/Diablo/whatever as some models of efficiency and transparency is hilarious though.

Probably the funniest fucking thing about games with long tails is how players of those games all talk up OTHER games with grass-is-greener-bullshit, but when you go to the community of the game they're talking up, it's the same stuff everywhere.

Destiny forums: "Bungie's content updates are UNACCEPTABLE! WoW has -regular- content updates. The communication from the devs is awful. I'm quitting this game fuck you Bungie."

WoW forums: "It's been 1.5 years since we've had a new raid WTF Blizzard. Guild Wars has updates EVERY TWO WEEKS. I'm quitting this game fuck you Blizzard"

Guild Wars forums: "The content coming out every two weeks is AWFUL! Why can't we have the living world content back! Warframe has new weapons and warframes coming out EVERY WEEK! I'm quitting this game fuck you ArenaNet"

Warframe forums: "Every week there's new content that just requires you to grind for materials. New weapons are not REAL CONTENT. I'm quitting this game and going to the Division fuck you Digital Extremes"

Division forums: "Why does every patch nerf progression and the features you are adding should have BEEN THERE DAY 1 ON SHIP and you STILL HAVEN'T PATCHED IN AN ENDGAME. I thought you guys would learn from Bungie but you're making all the same mistakes fuck you Massive"

Continue on into oblivion.

Lol. Stopped by to see how my DGAF buddies we're doing, just to see Interficium getting rekt again. WP DGAF.

You need to stop thread-stalking me. It's really weird. I'll leave this here though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198315919&highlight=#post198315919

Please don't talk about getting rekt. Focus on what you're good at; making ridiculous review thread posts.

Mindlog

In general Deej just does the best he can with his own twist on things. Imagine how much easier it would be if Deej could work with more material. Imagine how big a TWAB post would be for the recently announced Division patch.
I just realized that Wednesday we are probably going to see Deej play Prison of Elders again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plR5X6zt0tU

Will he pay attention to the modifiers this time?
!gamble ∞ No

Well, TTK released in September and nothing has really changed since. Nerfs and buffs were made with weapons and that's about it.

The raid STILL drops 300-310, and 310-320 for normal/hard and drops are still abysmal, rng on top of rng. Communication about that has been really bad to say the least.

Up the minimum range by 1, would have been a nice quick fix but we didn't even get that.

Why does this keep happening?

Let's make the distinction that there's people who want more content which costs time and money and then there's people who are upset about Bungie's constant vagueness, failure to set expectations and talking past community concerns. Addressing these issues costs nothing, just a little bravery and some faith in your community who obviously cares about your game.

Diablo team continues to show how amazing it is. Not only is the game fun and rewarding, they do patches clearly and communicate with the community frequently and with senior designers directly responding with info & design decisions.

And it's a game that's 4 years old with the last expansion, 2 years old on Friday.

Bungie is not in a unique or delicate situation when it comes to communicating with their fans. We should expect better because better is achievable elsewhere.

Okay, setting aside the salt...

Oooo...I have Friday off...looks like I'll be able to run Trials at reset this week!

Guess who is home on paternity leave AND has a toddler who goes to sleep at Reset'O'Clock? This guy!

Been reviewing our matches from last night. Unfortunately, I only started recording after we hit 9-0. There are some good sweaty matches there. I could still upload them, but then everyone would see my atrocious aim (and I'm not even talking about sniper shots.)
Sleepy baby brain makes thumb control weak is my story and I'm sticking to it.

My recorded games didn't catch anyone voices. Is there a toggle to enable that somewhere that I missed?

Finally, I can tell you after watching 3 games final bosses, that we do really well when we all stick together, the second someone goes down, that's when it gets sweaty. We seemed to really struggle with prioritizing consistently guarding a downed orb or getting a rez, especially when we were spread out.

We did best when we had me or Igor provide pressure from one angel and stay alive and then the other two push. That worked for camping teams. We didn't seem to have as clear cut success strategy for when we get pushed ourselves, other than hope for an early pick to destabilize them.

Anyway, I should be available tonight to continue on the 13-0 card we have. Just did a little googling and confirmed that cards don't carry over week to week.

Good luck Xplicit and Igor tonight for your Scarabs!

They totally eliminated the BK named boss farm. They made it so the named bosses in PvE are totally gone once you eliminate them once, no timer, no nothing, just one and done.

The intention is not to be able to farm a boss. That's not eliminating progression whatsoever. You're not supposed to be able to kill a boss once every 15-20 seconds and have all the loot to go along with it haha

The BK farm was a bad thing and not what they intended and it makes it a more fair loot game, so I don't see why getting red of that is a bad thing either

Playing the Division has been interesting. It is very grindy, almost painfully so. The main missions are great but the side mission are so tedious (and unfortunately very necessary for the grind to 30).

I like the game but it is making me miss Golden Age Destiny even more.

Maybe the Division will get there but so far Destiny just beats it. There was so much fun stuff to do in Destiny for the first year. Running strikes and patrols as your "side missions" is so far beyond what the Division offers.

Maybe when I hit 30, it will change but from what I have seen the grind in Division is just farming. And the replayability of that doesn't appeal (especially in modern gaming's paradigm of 'nerf everything').

Very disappointed VoG isn't getting updated...

Probably the funniest fucking thing about games with long tails is how players of those games all talk up OTHER games with grass-is-greener-bullshit, but when you go to the community of the game they're talking up, it's the same stuff everywhere.

Destiny forums: "Bungie's content updates are UNACCEPTABLE! WoW has -regular- content updates. The communication from the devs is awful. I'm quitting this game fuck you Bungie."

WoW forums: "It's been 1.5 years since we've had a new raid WTF Blizzard. Guild Wars has updates EVERY TWO WEEKS. I'm quitting this game fuck you Blizzard"

Guild Wars forums: "The content coming out every two weeks is AWFUL! Why can't we have the living world content back! Warframe has new weapons and warframes coming out EVERY WEEK! I'm quitting this game fuck you ArenaNet"

Warframe forums: "Every week there's new content that just requires you to grind for materials. New weapons are not REAL CONTENT. I'm quitting this game and going to the Division fuck you Digital Extremes"

Division forums: "Why does every patch nerf progression and the features you are adding should have BEEN THERE DAY 1 ON SHIP and you STILL HAVEN'T PATCHED IN AN ENDGAME. I thought you guys would learn from Bungie but you're making all the same mistakes fuck you Massive"

the circle of life

Yeah, the same Luke Smith that "the community" was sending a bunch of death threats and firing ultimatums to after an interview. You guys love that dude!
Despite that one incident, he has a lot of fans, people love his interviews when they're not done on a text format.

Listen, I get it, when you're not getting the things you want it's "bad communication" and when you are getting them it's "good communication." That's simple to understand. Propping up the Division/Diablo/whatever as some models of efficiency and transparency is hilarious though.

Are you talking to me? Because I think the only company I really compare Bungie to, is Bungie. Maybe 343 on occasion, but that's only for obvious parallels.

This issue goes deeper than "Getting what we want is good communication." The perfect example is the last update. We wanted Auto Rifles to be a thing in Crucible again. You know what we got? Auto Rifles are a thing in Crucible again.

You know how we got it, though? It was the biggest shit storm of the year. Somehow Bungie gave us the wrong information 3 times. 3! How fucking stupid is that? We got what we wanted, but it sure felt pretty shitty the way we got it.

Anyway, I should be available tonight to continue on the 13-0 card we have. Just did a little googling and confirmed that cards don't carry over week to week.

Good luck Xplicit and Igor tonight for your Scarabs!

Where's that report card though john!? :p

I expected to play with drizzay yesterday since he had mentioned it but he had plenty of work to do on xbox so i still got that card. If ape me and xplicit go on a crazy streak i'll still have it for when you get on haha.

Axoman

Well, TTK released in September and nothing has really changed since. Nerfs and buffs were made with weapons and that's about it.

The raid STILL drops 300-310, and 310-320 for normal/hard and drops are still abysmal, rng on top of rng. Communication about that has been really bad to say the least.

Up the minimum range by 1, would have been a nice quick fix but we didn't even get that.

Yeah, other than weapon "balancing", there hasn't been much.

They haven't ever mentioned the enormous amount of XP needed to upgrade armor pieces. If this isn't a bug, at least tell us they intended armor to have these XP requirements.

Artifacts drop everywhere. I get artifacts from challenge modes and nearly every gold package. They've said they adjusted ghost drops, why can't they do the same for artifacts, or at least acknowledge there are way to many ways to get them.

Many items still are not attainable.

Could still use more vault space, how about some more tabs for everything?

The above is just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with a lot more.

Where's that report card though john!? :p

I expected to play with drizzay yesterday since he had mentioned it but he had plenty of work to do on xbox so i still got that card. If ape me and xplicit go on a crazy streak i'll still have it for when you get on haha.

The report card will be done when the card is done, Igor!

Although, I may break it out to show pre-Scarab farm separately.

Deku Tree

I'm not really feeling like grinding a refreshed Taken PoE. Maybe if it was a 6 player activity. The 3 player PvE PoE content is not as good.

Can't wait to see Deej getting Rekt by Arc Burn Hive RIP.

Tri4

How do you guys control the recoil on TLW when ADSing? It literally ducks and weaves. The recoil is so irregular compared to every other handcannon. And when I'm hipfiring for the close ranges I miss half my shots or leave the fucking enemy with almost no health.

This gun is so hard to use, man.

ocean

Banned
How do you guys control the recoil on TLW when ADSing? It literally ducks and weaves. The recoil is so irregular compared to every other handcannon. And when I'm hipfiring for the close ranges I miss half my shots or leave the fucking enemy with almost no health.

This gun is so hard to use, man.
Try Soft Ballistics? I still run aggressive but ADS is basically useless, I always hipfire with it

Top Bottom