• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

WeTeHa

Anybody want to run some trials with me to get the bounties done? PSN is Dthomp

Sure. Do you have a third?

Urk via Twitter
Please set really low expectations everyone!

That's disappointing. Still... not giving up hope that we'll get some good stuff. Please.

I hope bungie changes their approach for Destiny 2. The community needs new stuff to do every couple of months. Update your content creation tools bungie and don't ignore the stuff already in the game!

Dthomp

Sure. Do you have a third?

That's disappointing. Still... not giving up hope that we'll get some good stuff. Please.

I hope bungie changes their approach for Destiny 2. The community needs new stuff to do every couple of months. Update your content creation tools bungie and don't ignore the stuff already in the game!

No 3rd yet, only 2 people on my FL on Destiny ATM :(

Updated VoG/CE doesn't make sense lore-wise, at least currently. PoE can be refreshed whenever and wherever due to being a combat arena.

Disagree. Better argument is that is been done already:

Taken already are in the Vault, see Paradox mission. Taken squad in Templar's well, Taken Hydra in Gorgon's Maze. Taken Ultra Minotaur in The Future Gate of the Glass Throne.

:(

After lurking here for a long time, I'm genuinely curious if power players who post in this thread would be interested in running through old raids again if the only rewards are marginally higher LL loot. That's all I'm asking.

I don't know if I'd consider myself a power player, but for me at least I don't care at all about light level. With the changes they made in the Taken King light level became meaningless to me. I will just be happy if we get lots of new gear and some more relevant activities to run, even if they are old. Right now the endgame is pretty stale and I have all the gear I want, so I'm excited just to shake that up.

5pm CST is the time when i'll call for drizzay then ape Kappa

Still drizz we gotta play mang

Hahaha
!crew
You have Ape and XplicitOne
!gamble XplicitOne
You gained Drizzay and Lost XplicitOne

Oooo...I have Friday off...looks like I'll be able to run Trials at reset this week!

Nice! At least when I used to play right at reset, it's try hard central. Just hope you get a good map on your day off haha

hqdefault.jpg

(how many times has this image been posted in Destiny OT now?)

not enough

Might as well start lowering your expectations for Destiny 2.

We are as far away from Destiny 2 now as we are from Destiny Vanilla launch.

Why do we have to lower our expectations? Why can't Bungie stop being so vague and set expectations?

All this does in confirm my belief that that the problem with Destiny is Bungie.

I have Bloodborne Dlc
Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 2
Daek Souls 3 (next month to go along with destiny 2.5)
Xcom
XCOM 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fire Emblem Fates
Witcher 2 and 3
Mass effect Trilogy.

And now I just bought D3 Reaper of Souls for PC.

I'M SCREWED.

I'm interested to see how the game is different from when I played week 1 vanilla d3.

Kyoufu

Taken already are in the Vault, see Paradox mission. Taken squad in Templar's well, Taken Hydra in Gorgon's Maze. Taken Ultra Minotaur in The Future Gate of the Glass Throne.

What I don't understand is how and why Taken are even involved after Oryx's destruction. Who even controls them anymore??

Hahaha
!crew
You have Ape and XplicitOne
!gamble XplicitOne
You gained Drizzay and Lost XplicitOne

Nice! At least when I used to play right at reset, it's try hard central. Just hope you get a good map on your day off haha

Hopefully! Usually it's sniper map/shotgunmap/sniper map...

I really should just bite the bullet and push myself to snipe. Maybe.

What I don't understand is how and why Taken are even involved after Oryx's destruction. Who even controls them anymore??

Yeah, it's poorly handled. Oryx at the end of Regicide "takes himself" and that leads to the Raid, but also an echo. In the final Book of Sorrow, he says that he can only die when killed in his throne world and when his echo is defeated. Defeating the Echo is the last mission of the Taken War quest.

What I don't understand is how "not even an Oryx can take an Ogre?" Really? Really, the king of all the Hive and the Taken can't take an Ogre?

Yeah, it's poorly handled. Oryx at the end of Regicide "takes himself" and that leads to the Raid, but also an echo. In the final Book of Sorrow, he says that he can only die when killed in his throne world and when his echo is defeated. Defeating the Echo is the last mission of the Taken War quest.

What I don't understand is how "not even an Oryx can take an Ogre?" Really? Really, the king of all the Hive and the Taken can't take an Ogre?
It's makes even less sense when he literally took an ogre right before she said that and we fought that same ogre in the regicide mission. The story may have been better in TTK but some stuff in it made no sense

Obviously we'll have to wait and see but the thought of remixed old raids doesn't fill me with much excitement, I'd hope they dont lock max level gear behind challenge modes again either. Also are they going to bump light level with each release of a raid or is the next one going to be it until the next big update?

Lnkn52

Obviously we'll have to wait and see but the thought of remixed old raids doesn't fill me with much excitement, I'd hope they dont lock max level gear behind challenge modes again either. Also are they going to bump light level with each release of a raid or is the next one going to be it until the next big update?

Maybe a community manager can answer that question for you.

CZIZfurUgAAd5IM.png

Kyoufu

It's makes even less sense when he literally took an ogre right before she said that and we fought that same ogre in the regicide mission. The story may have been better in TTK but some stuff in it made no sense

I found the story in TTK lacking. Sure, they added cutscenes (yay?) but all that interesting lore was still in grimoire cards and not the game itself. Oryx was far more interesting than his/her generic portrayal in the actual game.

Hopefully! Usually it's sniper map/shotgunmap/sniper map...

I really should just bite the bullet and push myself to snipe. Maybe.

Hahaha it won't hurt to try. Having both in your arsenal would be pretty deadly.

I feel like I run around with my head chopped off when I have a shotgun. It's fun to dabble with since it can completely change your style of play.

I found the story in TTK lacking. Sure, they added cutscenes (yay?) but all that interesting lore was still in grimoire cards and not the game itself. Oryx was far more interesting than his/her generic portrayal in the actual game.
Yeah the whole grimiore thing will always put a question in my head. I always wonder what the story would be like if that was in the game.

They're in Crota's throne room too.

The line is "Not even Oryx can control an Ogre unless it's taken" isn't it?

GhaleonEB

If only they had a blog where they could set expectations and a weekly column to do it!

If only they could set expectations, but no, Bungie gotta tease an announcement for "next week" and then milk it for 3 weeks of streams.

Who wants 8 more years of this? Of community managers who barely interact? Of Weekly Fluffdates? Of not setting and managing expectations? Of stealth matchmaking changes that take 3 months to reverse with little clarity? Of tweets clarifying to "set expectations accordingly"? Of DeeJ's boss having 1,657 weapons parts?

FFS, Bungie. This is not how you manage a community.

It's like there's this muscle memory kicking in from the Halo era, to be super secretive about everything. One of the best bits from the BWU came from shortly after launch, when different designers submitted a list of areas they wanted to improve in the game and were putting time to. And over the following months, those areas got attention and improved. I have no idea why Deej refuses to set expectations at all. They're in a constant state of teasing, then having to clean up and clarify and re-set expectations.

It's exasperating. And it is something that's making me feel a bit less invested in the game over time.

Lol, the biggest thing they could do is replace Deej. Honestly baffles me how he keeps/got his job

I don't think Deej is given much to work with. I imagine the process of writing the weekly updates is something like this,

Deej: "hey guys what can I talk about this week?"
Designers: "Nothing, we're busy with Destiny 2 stuff we can't talk about"
Deej: "what should I tell our fans then?"
Designers: "I don't know. Say something about news coming eventually."
Deej: "ok." (thinks to himself: I better really make this update fluffy to fill it out. I know, I'll just troll the Bungie forums with a joke)

Lol, the biggest thing they could do is replace Deej. Honestly baffles me how he keeps/got his job

I hadn't watched any of the recent Twitch ride along streams and decided to check out the Audio one this past weekend. Deej's opening on that stream is sooo awkward. He looks out of place and tired. Maybe this whole gig has passed him by.

See below:

They're in Crota's throne room too.

The line is "Not even Oryx can control an Ogre unless it's taken" isn't it?

The idea is that Ogres are so feral that they can't be trained by Hive. Not even Oryx (without using his taken magics) could command an ogre to do his bidding.

So the power of Taking is apparently stronger than that of the primal urges of an unleashed ogre.

I hadn't watched any of the recent Twitch ride along streams and decided to check out the Audio one this past weekend. Deej's opening on that stream is sooo awkward. He looks out of place and sort of tired.

You should have seen the SRL one where he got drunk, and talked about how Cozmo was hired because everyone hates me (me being Deej referring to himself).

It was super awkward.

I don't think Deej is given much to work with. I imagine the process of writing the weekly updates is something like this,

Deej: "ok." (thinks to himself: I better really make this update fluffy to fill it out. I know, I'll just troll the Bungie forums with a joke)

The problem with him is, he's not trained in PR (which can sometimes be a good thing) so is incapable of delivering whatever it is he has to work with. He tries to be funny when he's not. It also doesn't help he's terrible at the game and obviously hates having to do so

It's like there's this muscle memory kicking in from the Halo era, to be super secretive about everything. One of the best bits from the BWU came from shortly after launch, when different designers submitted a list of areas they wanted to improve in the game and were putting time to. And over the following months, those areas got attention and improved. I have no idea why Deej refuses to set expectations at all. They're in a constant state of teasing, then having to clean up and clarify and re-set expectations.

It's exasperating. And it is something that's making me feel a bit less invested in the game over time.

I think it's also the type of game that restricts giving expectations.

For example, in Halo it's easy to say they're adding a map, rebalancing weapons, and telling you exactly what to expect out of the next update. And they can explain what they're doing.

With Destiny however, doing so would 'spoil' things to expect. "We're going to go back and remake some of the weapons and armors" is about the most you'll get. No specifics. To outline exactly what loot you're going to be able to get, how much there is of it, what they're updating would ruin the 'surprise' that is needed for a game like Destiny.

Now let's look at Diablo 3. They outline changes/updates they're making unlike Destiny. They tell you exactly which gear you're going to be able to fine, what new features they added, what changed down to the decimal.

Now, why does Deej try to keep an air of 'mystery' to Destiny? Why does Bungie tolerate that type of communication despite it alienating people?

Maybe it's because for Destiny, the only thing that matters is 'finding' these surprises. And once people are done with that, they get tired of the game. If this is the way Bungie thinks, that they have to keep mystery to what they're adding in terms of loot/content in order for players to be surprised, then they're doing it wrong.

I'm not saying they should spill all the info to us, but they shouldn't have updates nor tease us at all unless they're certain of what they're doing.

This constant leg pulling is off-putting.

the_id

The guy has a tough job between dealing with the community and also the developers. He's supposed to be the point of contact between them but its not and easy job.

Urk's news is disappointing but I guess we could expect something different coming in April.

The guy has a tough job between dealing with the community and also the developers. He's supposed to be the point of contact between them but its not and easy job.

Urk's news is disappointing but I guess we could expect something different coming in April.

He doesn't deal with the Community though, its all a one way street

At least urk told us now and not like the day before the update so we know what to expect

Axoman

So, in light of Urk's tweet, here is my guess.

New PVE Challenges (The new strike)
New and Updated Gear (new vendor inventory)
New Quest featuring the Blighted Chalice Strike (new quest featuring new PVE challenge)
Increased Max Light and Rewards (via PoE)
Sandbox and Crucible Updates ( more nerfs, but maybe some 0.04% buffs)
And more… (PoE)

My expectations couldn't be any lower now.

I'm at the point the only reason I'd want to increase my light level going foward would be for PvP. Taken King has really soured me on the PvE aspect of the game since they took all the fun out of it by making every weapon mediocre.

darthbob

That's not what Eris said. She said "Not even Oryx can control an Ogre, unless it's Taken."

Don't see how that contradicts anything.

I think it's also the type of game that restricts giving expectations.

For example, in Halo it's easy to say they're adding a map, rebalancing weapons, and telling you exactly what to expect out of the next update. And they can explain what they're doing.

With Destiny however, doing so would 'spoil' things to expect. "We're going to go back and remake some of the weapons and armors" is about the most you'll get. No specifics. To outline exactly what loot you're going to be able to get, how much there is of it, what they're updating would ruin the 'surprise' that is needed for a game like Destiny.

Now let's look at Diablo 3. They outline changes/updates they're making unlike Destiny. They tell you exactly which gear you're going to be able to fine, what new features they added, what changed down to the decimal.

Now, why does Deej try to keep an air of 'mystery' to Destiny? Why does Bungie tolerate that type of communication despite it alienating people?

Maybe it's because for Destiny, the only thing that matters is 'finding' these surprises. And once people are done with that, they get tired of the game. If this is the way Bungie thinks, that they have to keep mystery to what they're adding in terms of loot/content in order for players to be surprised, then they're doing it wrong.

I'm not saying they should spill all the info to us, but they shouldn't have updates nor tease us at all unless they're certain of what they're doing.

This constant leg pulling is off-putting.

It's like he sees Luke, who obviously has a certain impression left on the community, and he thinks to himself, "Hmm... people tend to like Luke. Luke has secrets. He loves mentioning that he'll never tell if VoG has been fully explored or not. He seems to always smile and joke when he says that, and the community jokes back with him...

Maybe if I keep even MORE secrets, the community will like me even MORE!"

He doesn't deal with the Community though, its all a one way street

Exactly. He talks at us, never with us.

By all the changes The Division has been making including today's patch (so many fixes the community wants, in less than 2 weeks!), I really wish Bungie was the same way with Destiny.

And their community manager has been responding to people like with wanting a fave/lock button.

Why can't we have that kind of communication or quick patches here?! I know their tools don't allow for that but I hope they're working on that. Communication oth doesn't seem to try to get improved.

I'm not hyped for Destiny's April's update, which I think is a good thing. Normally I'm like a kid Chritmas Eve hyped for weeks in advanced but now I'm not. I think it's good so I might be pleasantly surprised.

Trakan

I understand the old raid content not being updated, but people have speculated about it for literally MONTHS.

Bungie has to learn to shut that shit down immediately. Don't let it become a bunch of top voted reddit threads and just ignore it.

Top Bottom