• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

GhaleonEB

Modest proposal for Bungie's future update reveals. My premise is the BWU and Twitch platforms can be used to communicate information to the player base in a similar way as Bungie does now, but with the goal of facilitating more direct and open communication, and avoiding some of the frustrations with the current format.

Current state, which was used with the House of Wolves, Taken King (to a lesser extent) and the Spring 2016 Update:

• Update release date announced, content is outlined in very vague terms. ("New PVE Activities")
  • Series of Twitch streams is scheduled over the course of several weeks to demonstrate and announce features at once.
  • BWU is used to follow up with hard information and clarifications from Twitch stream.
  • Update is released alongside full patch notes.
The end result is we get announcement of announcements, a protracted multi-week reveal, and a long wait for hard information about the updates. It feels like the Destiny community is being teased and milked for attention rather than engaged.

Ghaleon's proposed future state:

• Update release date is announced alongside a list of the major features and content items. It doesn't go into deep detail, but provides enough that the players can understand the size, shape and intent of the update.
  • Series of Twitch streams is scheduled over the course of several weeks to demonstrate the previously announced features and content in detail.
  • BWU is used as a follow up from the designers, covering more detail about the goals of the changes and additions that were shown.

Players would have their expectations set early in the process, and Bungie could still hold back as they chose to facilitate surprises in the streams or update proper.

Current communication flow is: tease --> announce/demo --> clarify

A more effective communication flow would be: announce --> demo --> elaborate

Slermy

Ghaleon's proposed future state:

• Update release date is announced alongside a list of the major features and content items. It doesn't go into deep detail, but provides enough that the players can understand the size, shape and intent of the update.
  • Series of Twitch streams is scheduled over the course of several weeks to demonstrate the previously announced features and content in detail.
  • BWU is used as a follow up from the designers, covering more detail about the goals of the changes and additions that were shown.

So, are you implying that the Bungie Update should not be weekly, and only should be posted when there is actually something to say? Because I agree with that 100%.

What is the latest you guys have stayed up playing this game till? Anyone pull an all nighter at any point?

The latest was 3:00 AM when I had to be at work the next day. I really wanted some Etheric Light and was out most of the week of the Iron Banner. I had to grind all my rep in one night.

GhaleonEB

So, are you implying that the Bungie Update should not be weekly, and only should be posted when there is actually something to say? Because I agree with that 100%.
I wasn't addressing that topic, just how the post-stream BWU's are used. Currently they are on cleanup detail given the streams are on the double duty of reveal and demonstration. I'm proposing they separate the reveal to the initial announcement, focus on the demonstration, and then dive deeper in the follow up BWU.

I'd like to see that shift to: announce --> demo --> elaborate

I have to go out of town from Wednesday to Friday night. Will I still be able to hit IB level 5 by Monday?

You can do IB 3x sunday-monday if you save the daily bounties. Your main will require a couple of games to get there but with the xp boost, your alts can go from 0-5 in as less as 3 matches.

I won't bother with IB unless there is some more PS-exclusive gear on sale. Banking on drops post-match is a massive waste of time.

Bungie posting weekly updates kinda does kill that avenue in terms of excitement. Flip the W in BWU upside downt o BMU, make it monthly.

No other games I know have a weekly 'update' on the state of the game. That makes people have expectations of it(And during launch, the BWUs had a tendency to be filled with info on updates, which helped set those expectations.).

They should definitely tone it down.

GhaleonEB

Bungie posting weekly updates kinda does kill that avenue in terms of excitement. Flip the W in BWU upside downt o BMU, make it monthly.

No other games I know have a weekly 'update' on the state of the game. That makes people have expectations of it(And during launch, the BWUs had a tendency to be filled with info on updates, which helped set those expectations.).

They should definitely tone it down.

I've enjoyed the weekly updates ever since the Halo 2 days, ~12 years ago. I'm all for continuing them, even if they are often light on new information. They're a Thursday formerly Friday) ritual read. Now more than ever Bungie has a game that requires they be in good, constant communication with the players, IMO.

Trakan

Continue them weekly and have them address a community talking point every week and how they're progressing on changing it or making it better. Update the game often. Even qol fixes here and there go a long way.

Kyoufu

I've enjoyed the weekly updates ever since the Halo 2 days, ~12 years ago. I'm all for continuing them, even if they are often light on new information. They're a Thursday formerly Friday) ritual read. Now more than ever Bungie has a game that requires they be in good, constant communication with the players, IMO.

But when DeeJ has nothing to write about then that's not really communication. It's just meaningless words that the community don't care to read.

But when DeeJ has nothing to write about then that's not really communication. It's just meaningless words that the community don't care to read.

And yet when they skipped just one weekly update the community rioted.

"the community" really needs to stop acting like this isn't a catch-22 for Bungie.

Slermy

I have to go out of town from Wednesday to Friday night. Will I still be able to hit IB level 5 by Monday?

I did it in one day/night in Year One. If you Have Sat/Sun/Mon to play, I think you'll be good. Do you have the quest boosting items?

I wasn't addressing that topic, just how the post-stream BWU's are used. Currently they are on cleanup detail given the streams are on the double duty of reveal and demonstration. I'm proposing they separate the reveal to the initial announcement, focus on the demonstration, and then dive deeper in the follow up BWU.

I'd like to see that shift to: announce --> demo --> elaborate

Ah, gotcha.

Continue them weekly and have them address a community talking point every week and how they're progressing on changing it or making it better. Update the game often. Even qol fixes here and there go a long way.

Man, I thought they were pretty good with the Quality of Life fixes in year one, but there's been almost nothing this time around. I keep hoping one of these days they'll add Transmogrification/Cosmetic-Slots.

Mindlog

Deej had the right idea changing the name of the Thursday article, but it doesn't really address the problem. Articles about Destiny's future should be called the Destiny Dossier or something and they should probably be delivered fortnightly or even less frequent.

That's what I would do.

People will have ire that it's not a constant stream of information though.

But I do agree that they should be more open about what's happening behind the scenes, whether it's teasers or just talks with developers. See, a huge thing is that they're trying to save surprises for things like E3 or events, to show us the progress on new things. That's a mistake because this game is a service.

Imagine if Riot games or Blizzard waited until E3 to talk about Hearthstone updates or League of Legends champion reveals, or if Warframe waited until E3 in order to tell everyone the new content they were planning.

That's also another thing Bungie has to get used to-Being able to show content without waiting for a huge event. Literally anything.

If you're going to have your game be a service, then you need to be able to siphon information to the masses on a consistent basis. You can't wait until E3 or what was it, that PSX event they showed off SRL racing? They can't do that and expect people to be happy.

People will have ire that it's not a constant stream of information though.

But I do agree that they should be more open about what's happening behind the scenes, whether it's teasers or just talks with developers. See a huge thing is that they're trying to save surprises for things like E3 or events, to show us the progress on new things. That's a mistake because this game is a service.

Imagine if Riot games or Blizzard waited until E3 to talk about Hearthstone updates or League of Legends champion reveals, or if Warframe waited until E3 in order to tell everyone the new content they were planning.

That's also another thing Bungie has to get used to-Being able to show content without waiting for a huge event. Literally anything.

If you're going to have your game be a service, then you need to be able to siphon information to the masses on a consistent basis. You can't wait until E3 or what was it, that PSX event they showed off SRL racing? They can't do that and expect people to be happy.

Surely you're smart enough to see how your comparisons to three free-to-play games, only one of which is actually on consoles, are tenuous at best. You talk about Destiny as a service as if you're paying a subscription fee, but you're not.

Destiny is still firmly planted in the world of AAA console releases, and plays by the same rules as your other mega-franchises like COD, Halo, Madden, etc.

Surely you're smart enough to see how your comparisons to three free-to-play games, only one of which is actually on consoles, are tenuous at best. You talk about Destiny as a service as if you're paying a subscription fee, but you're not.

Destiny is still firmly planted in the world of AAA console releases, and plays by the same rules as your other mega-franchises like COD, Halo, Madden, etc.

But it doesn't play by those rules! It really doesn't. To treat it like Halo or CoD is incorrect.

Trakan

Destiny is a persistent online living breathing world, in their own words. COD, Halo, and Madden are none of those. When they leave Destiny dormant for months at a time, it isn't what they claim it is either.

They set the expectations and road map in Y1. Even Y1 was light on content IMO. I don't know who was the one to greenlight Y2, but I hope he doesn't get to make decisions anymore.

Destiny is a persistent online living breathing world, in their own words. COD, Halo, and Madden are none of those. When they leave Destiny dormant for months at a time, it isn't what they claim it is either.

They set the expectations and road map in Y1. Even Y1 was light on content IMO. I don't know who was the one to greenlight Y2, but I hope he doesn't get to make decisions anymore.

Yup.

It was supposed to be a living breathing world with new events each month and things to do.

Instead we get Iron Banner every month. They remove the PvE monthly event, that is Queens Wrath. That was year 1.

Even in Year 2, most of the 'fun' events they come up with are aimed at PvP players. Crimson Doubles, SRL...Leaving pvers in the dust.

For a game that's supposed to be this persistent, MMO like, thing, it's not working out.

But it doesn't play by those rules! It really doesn't. To treat it like Halo or CoD is incorrect.

It does. It makes nearly all of it's money on first-month sales of $60 boxed titles. That's the reality of the AAA console games business, no matter how differently Destiny plays compared to a Halo or a CoD.

I didn't care too much about the Scarab Heart until 2 things changed:

1) I realized that some of the most fun I have every week is playing with Igor & Ape, (apart from LT and our raid group). I've got all the raid emblems. Now it's time for my new passion.

CeCoE_VWwAE8yIU.jpg

(Igor was AFK when I wanted to take a group shot, so we made do)

2) And I saw this beauty:

CcfhoCTWEAEQzvZ.jpg

Now I want it bad.

I never said it was a good literal translation. I said it was the best gun name, and I stand by that goddammit

Agreed.

I didn't care too much about the Scarab Heart until 2 things changed:

1) I realized that some of the most fun I have every week is playing with Igor & Ape, (apart from LT and our raid group). I've got all the raid emblems. Now it's time for my new passion.

CeCoE_VWwAE8yIU.jpg

(Igor was AFK when I wanted to take a group shot, so we made do)

2) And I saw this beauty:

CcfhoCTWEAEQzvZ.jpg

Now I want it bad.

Agreed.

That picture is super nice

It does. It makes nearly all of it's money on first-month sales of $60 boxed titles. That's the reality of the AAA console games business, no matter how differently Destiny plays compared to a Halo or a CoD.

That's most games in general, though.

Again, to treat it like CoD or Madden is a fools errand.

Despite what you said, it's better to treat it to something like an MMO. Again, Guild Wars follows a similar model to Destiny. Upfront purchase, no monthly sub fee, Microtransactions, consistent updates.

Unlike CoD, it has a persistent world, it has PvE and PvP activities in this persistent world for players to do together, with updates here and there to keep people playing. As well as raids, dungeons, what have you.

It's a service. Through and through. And Bungie is failing at that service.

You're saying we should treat it like CoD or Halo because it made its money in first month sales like almost every game out there? Destiny isn't like those games, it has PVE and PVP that that it needs to constantly support. Something like CoD could survive without constant updates, but destiny is not like that at all.

WeTeHa

Didn't really like this weeks trials map. For some reason I keep getting matched against scarabs and hardscope pros in basically every match. I miss the times when a lot of casuals were playing.

Grisby

Wow, there are some honest to god cutscenes in the Taken King stuff. Was doing The Dark Below and House of Wolves content (all of which I was already over leveled for from Vanilla) and then got to TK. This is the type of storytelling that should have been in the main game.

Plus, you forget how good Destiny's gunplay is. Hit 34 and got the Nightstalker bow. Damn is it fun.

When do you start earning legendary marks? When you hit 40?

Dthomp

Anybody want to run some casual trials? Or a good duo take on my averageness to make a run on a card? Need 6 more matches and 40 kills for my gold package on my Hunter. LMK Dthomp

Wow, there are some honest to god cutscenes in the Taken King stuff. Was doing The Dark Below and House of Wolves content (all of which I was already over leveled for from Vanilla) and then got to TK. This is the type of storytelling that should have been in the main game.

Plus, you forget how good Destiny's gunplay is. Hit 34 and got the Nightstalker bow. Damn is it fun.

When do you start earning legendary marks? When you hit 40?
You get legendary marks from a few of the main quests and you have the daily and weekly crucible, but other than that you have to be 240 light for the daily story, 260 light for heroic strikes and so on and so forth. So just do the daily crucible every day to start stocking them up.

Edit: for the crucible things you can be any level and have any light as well, so you can do those immediately

Sorry I had to bail guys. But thought since we took a break it was a better time to go eat dinner there then play 1 more and break.

GGs. Won 7 matches today and most were sweaty.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
El asso wippo.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This burrito is killing me.

At least I won money from NCAA brackets.

Anybody up for PVP?

Grisby

You get legendary marks from a few of the main quests and you have the daily and weekly crucible, but other than that you have to be 240 light for the daily story, 260 light for heroic strikes and so on and so forth. So just do the daily crucible every day to start stocking them up.

Edit: for the crucible things you can be any level and have any light as well, so you can do those immediately
Roger that. Thanks buddy.

Top Bottom