• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Namikaze1

Really can't wait for the stream tomorrow.

Also, ouch at them BvS reviews. I like it more than MoS but like I said, I never did like that film to begin with. If I had to give BvS a score, it would be a 7. Seeing it again this Friday with the bro.

E92 M3

Wow three whole days... 4Head

ZSCt9lp.png

WipedOut

It was really more of a shout out to the destiny sock rates in conjunction with simultaneous non-destiny game sock rates. Are these individuals also doing laundry on other games at these rates?
Again, xplicit has me beat on that one. Dude hit 30 like a week before me. Since division came out I've spent very little time in Destiny.

ocean

Banned
You just gotta put up the Hawkian signal.

If only I was near my laptop to pull up photoshop and change the Bat Signal to the Hawk Signal.

Nami do you still have the "Thorn in the trash" GIF you made a while back? I miss that one, it's among your best. I still think your crowning achievement as a GIFmaker was the Hype Rises one tho :p

Number45

Not sure if it's been posted but I've seen people here mention previously that Amanda Holliday hasn't sold a rare ship for ages (since TTK came out maybe?) - she has one for sale today.

Namikaze1

Nami do you still have the "Thorn in the trash" GIF you made a while back? I miss that one, it's among your best. I still think your crowning achievement as a GIFmaker was the Hype Rises one tho :p
Which one?

This one?
TUTwUcI.gif

Or this one?
wwkKQdj.gif

Or this one?
AaRiSvq.gif

I really should have added my name to that Hype Rises gif. See it every now and then in hype threads.

the_id

Which one?

This one?

Or this one?

Or this one?

I really should have added my name to that Hype Rises gif. See it every now and then in hype threads.

LOL. I hate thorn so much. Saved.

Hype rises will need to be put up a few hours before the Bungie Twitch tomorrow.

I officially hate the Taken. Just terrible lazy design compared to year one Destiny. They go a long way to making PvE unplayable for me.

This is most evidenced in the strikes from year one (I used to love running strikes) where they were shoehorned as content 'updates.'

The encounters are tiresome exercises where the enemy placement and ability spam encourage the sort of camp/cheese gameplay that is supposedly the reason Bungie took Icebreaker out of the game.

None of the individual enemies are hard so Bungie almost always shoves them at you in increased numbers. The removal of elemental primaries and nerfs to shotguns means hanging back and picking the enemies off one by one remains the best strategy for Heroic/Nightfall levels of difficulty. And it is tedious to play that way.

Now they are adding them to PoE? FML :)

Nicodemic

Destiny Reddit has a nice post on armsday about what to buy and what to avoid. And with the Arminius-D package arriving tomorrow, you can bet it will be analysed to death on which roll is the best one. But I think A-D can't get the counterbalance perk... Am I wrong or is it persitence?

Trakan

Destiny Reddit has a nice post on armsday about what to buy and what to avoid. And with the Arminius-D package arriving tomorrow, you can bet it will be analysed to death on which roll is the best one. But I think A-D can't get the counterbalance perk... Am I wrong or is it persitence?

You can get CB, I have it, but it's not as good as the Doctrine.

Kalamari

Stark difference from the days of Halo, where they would have special playlists and people enjoyed playing Halo multiplayer...

Bungie's Halo multiplayer was much better received than Destiny's due to it being better balanced due to its greater simplicity. But all of these snarky responses that have come from Bungie employees just reeks of "leave us alone, so we can do our jobs" despite the untimeliness of their content releases. I have thought that Bungie is a little inefficient in terms of production, but the recent tweets has me wondering that the magnitude of that inefficiency could be 10x.

What I would give to be a fly on the wall of Bungie.

I officially hate the Taken. Just terrible lazy design compared to year one Destiny. They go a long way to making PvE unplayable for me.

This is most evidenced in the strikes from year one (I used to love running strikes) where they were shoehorned as content 'updates.'

The encounters are tiresome exercises where the enemy placement and ability spam encourage the sort of camp/cheese gameplay that is supposedly the reason Bungie took Icebreaker out of the game.

None of the individual enemies are hard so Bungie almost always shoves them at you in increased numbers. The removal of elemental primaries and nerfs to shotguns means hanging back and picking the enemies off one by one remains the best strategy for Heroic/Nightfall levels of difficulty. And it is tedious to play that way.

Now they are adding them to PoE? FML :)

I used to feel as you did. But I had my mind changed recently. Counter-argument from Slayerage, the guy who solo'd Oryx.

I personally couldn't disagree more. Taken centurions give me something to worry about other than direct fire, taken goblins force me to prioritize them over even much bigger enemies, taken psions need to be killed all in one go so you can't just kill a couple and get back to them later, taken vandals make it so you can't just always kill them whenever you want, taken wizards will spawn extra enemies nonstop until you kill them, taken phalanx make you need to be aware of your surroundings, taken hobgoblins are only smart to fight if you have cover because of their homing retaliation, taken acolytes aren't much of a threat but the eyes they spawn should generally be killed as fast as possible, and taken captains are always important to be aware of even if damage from them isn't the threat.

If taken knight's fire took up more space and lasted longer for "zone control," they'd be more interesting. Finally, taken minotaurs and thralls are just plain annoying variations of the enemy. Not a huge fan of those three.

The taken actually make you think about how you're engaging enemies and make different prioritization strategies more or less effective. The black spindle mission is an awesome example. You wipe the blights to prevent enemy spawns, then kill the major centurions, captains, etc. because they're the biggest threats, then wipe the psions because they are vulnerable if they won't have cover to give them a chance to refresh their numbers again. As a second example, when you're fighting oryx, you have to watch out for axion darts and acolyte eyes - but the centurions and acolytes themselves aren't too important, so you can kill ogres or knights when those taken aren't using their abilities actively. If I see an acolyte eye alive and firing I always kill it because it's only a matter of time before it melts my teammate. If I see a dart chasing one of my teammates I try to get it off their back. But the regular enemies? Not really very troublesome.

So for two major reasons, keep the taken coming: they give our opponents a chance to have abilities too, which is just fair and makes the concept of space magic gunfights a lot more interesting, and they actually encourage a strategic approach to gunfights and priorities. They aren't perfect, but they are a thousand times more interesting than vandals, acolytes, hobgoblins, etc are. If the vault of glass were the exact same except with taken goblins, hobgoblins, and minotaurs, it would be a whole new level of difficulty and it would be much more difficult, which is appropriate for an activity that we have been doing for a year. If they were to just buff levels and numbers the content would still be a joke.

I think they should continue to make more enemies that actually pose more than one meaningful threat, instead of just enemies that are only dangerous when in line of sight. It fits much better with destiny's combat style to have enemies that don't just require cover based fighting.

Tl;dr it's good that unlike every other enemy in the game, the best strategy for the taken isn't always "see it shoot it."

https://twitter.com/urkmcgurk/status/712136207497465856

@Urk: "I'm going to play other games!" is such an odd thing to read as a threat. Play tons of games. Games are great. I will make recommendations!

Why does Bungie sometimes tweet disparaging comments to their fans? The thing is I actually agree with what Urk is saying I just feel like he's disparaging Bungie fans and I don't like the way they talk to us. I've never seen anyone say that as a threat.

Comments like this always make me laugh, coupled with the "I want the old Bungie back" comments that are so frequently made.

Old Bungie's "weekly mailsack" in the Halo days was basically selecting the stupidest fanmail they got every week then mercilessly making fun of the people who wrote them. If they did that today the community would be flipping the fuck out about how Bungie is "disparaging the fans!"

Makes me wonder who really changed, Bungie, or the community.

I used to feel as you did. But I had my mind changed recently. Counter-argument from Slayerage, the guy who solo'd Oryx.

I personally couldn't disagree more. Taken centurions give me something to worry about other than direct fire, taken goblins force me to prioritize them over even much bigger enemies, taken psions need to be killed all in one go so you can't just kill a couple and get back to them later, taken vandals make it so you can't just always kill them whenever you want, taken wizards will spawn extra enemies nonstop until you kill them, taken phalanx make you need to be aware of your surroundings, taken hobgoblins are only smart to fight if you have cover because of their homing retaliation, taken acolytes aren't much of a threat but the eyes they spawn should generally be killed as fast as possible, and taken captains are always important to be aware of even if damage from them isn't the threat.

If taken knight's fire took up more space and lasted longer for "zone control," they'd be more interesting. Finally, taken minotaurs and thralls are just plain annoying variations of the enemy. Not a huge fan of those three.

The taken actually make you think about how you're engaging enemies and make different prioritization strategies more or less effective. The black spindle mission is an awesome example. You wipe the blights to prevent enemy spawns, then kill the major centurions, captains, etc. because they're the biggest threats, then wipe the psions because they are vulnerable if they won't have cover to give them a chance to refresh their numbers again. As a second example, when you're fighting oryx, you have to watch out for axion darts and acolyte eyes - but the centurions and acolytes themselves aren't too important, so you can kill ogres or knights when those taken aren't using their abilities actively. If I see an acolyte eye alive and firing I always kill it because it's only a matter of time before it melts my teammate. If I see a dart chasing one of my teammates I try to get it off their back. But the regular enemies? Not really very troublesome.

So for two major reasons, keep the taken coming: they give our opponents a chance to have abilities too, which is just fair and makes the concept of space magic gunfights a lot more interesting, and they actually encourage a strategic approach to gunfights and priorities. They aren't perfect, but they are a thousand times more interesting than vandals, acolytes, hobgoblins, etc are. If the vault of glass were the exact same except with taken goblins, hobgoblins, and minotaurs, it would be a whole new level of difficulty and it would be much more difficult, which is appropriate for an activity that we have been doing for a year. If they were to just buff levels and numbers the content would still be a joke.

I think they should continue to make more enemies that actually pose more than one meaningful threat, instead of just enemies that are only dangerous when in line of sight. It fits much better with destiny's combat style to have enemies that don't just require cover based fighting.

Tl;dr it's good that unlike every other enemy in the game, the best strategy for the taken isn't always "see it shoot it."

He does make some good points. I don't mind the Taken as much in their own missions and strikes - the encounters are designed with their unique flavors in mind (as slayer elucidates above). The physical approaches are designed to encourage you to utilize the Taken King sandbox (ie. snipers, the new supers/abilities) and so they do feel 'better.'

And Black Spindle and Fear's Embrace were top-notch experiences.

My anti-Taken salty rant is specifically spurred by running Heroic strikes - Valus, Undying Mind or Saber are all lessened by the presence of the Taken (imo, obviously). I prefer to run strikes fast and loose - I think they were designed to be run that way. The difficulty spikes I experience with the Takenified strikes feels like artificial difficulty all the way.

I do appreciate the strategy argument. Maybe the issue is playing with idiot randoms who don't know to do anything but shoot straight(ish).

A line of thought concerning "There's nothing to do" that I don't really see discussed much is the fact that the current endgame has doubled its expected shelf-life.

TTK has been out for six months now. Based on what we know, it was likely a late-in-the-game decision to forego smaller TDB/HoW style DLC and fill the revenue void with Eververse. Because of such, TTK's endgame was most likely designed only to be in its current state for ~3 months (the time between vanilla and TDB) -- For comparison, HoW, which was specifically designed to maximize available content for a longer drought, only had a four month shelf-life.

Top Bottom