• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

E92 M3

I disagree.

I mean I bet this game has millions of lines of code, but I bet they didn't make it hard coded everywhere or really hard to modify (that'd be bad programming practice and I highly doubt this game has those).

Like there's a range function which is probably just a random number.

C++ it's:

// Normal KF, Random value between 300 and 310.
LightRNGValue = rand() % 11 + 300;

Just change that to LightRNGValue =310 if you want guaranteed. Just like challenge mode gives. Or up the range so it only gives 305-310 instead of 300-310.

A 2nd semester programming student can make these changes so that part takes 0 work.

To use their tools and make a production ready patch however, seems to take the longest time.

I don't know anything about software development so can't comment on that aspect lol

I really hope it's cauldron or exodus blue for trials, I've never played trials on cauldron and I want to experience that map

Trials on Exodus Blue is the best! I highly doubt it'll be that though since it was the map like 3 weeks ago but who knows!

Cauldron would be sweet. It's a pretty fun Trials map. That or Anomaly. Any year 2 Rift map would not be fun.

Deku Tree

I'm disappointed that Bungie is taking Destiny in a direction that I don't find fun at all. And because of that I lack optimism for the future direction of the game. Glad there are several recent games, and upcoming games that do look really fun to me!

I don't know anything about software development so can't comment on that aspect lol

I'm sure their code is way more complex than that but in the end that's what it's doing. It's most likely a very small change to setting the value of the light on the reward. There's functions that probably do the random and instead of calling that function, they probably call a function that gives "Max Light for whatever value passed in, in this case, Normal KF", for the challenge mode drop. It'd literally be doing that exact same thing.

Also, ranges are fine if either infusion was 100% and you can turn anything into some infusion fodder somehow and drops were more frequent to account for rng light.

It's actually rng (getting a drop, debatable) on top of rng (what type of drop, which is a normal/fine rng) on top of rng (light range, gross) on top of rng (stats/perks, normal)

Type and stats are perfectly fine. Getting a drop for an end game event being rng, usually isn't especially coupled with light rng then coupled with infusion only taking 80%

Homeboyd

Ranged drops do need to go. Holding out hope there's some kind of etheric light equivalent you can use to boost stuff to 335. Holding out hope, not breath.

I still think it's worth waiting before getting to emotional about some of this.

Bungie has to know that the current Light Level and/or Infusion system is considered garbage by the entire playerbase.

I'll give them a chance to address it next week before I get discouraged.

Alright, Kor. Fair enough. And like you, I expect there to be some serious Quality of Life updates here.

Purchaseable Armor Mats
Reduced Armor XP requirements
Doubled Drop Rate for Crucible/ Strikes
Nightfall/Shaxx rewards
Etc.

Quality of Life updates show how much Bungie cares about the community, and so far, I have been disappointed that the Year 1 meme hasn't changed: "Bungie hates player progress."

Each encounter of the raid should reward you with something useful. There should also be AMAZING stuff that's more rare to get, like Fatebringer.

That actually makes running the raid more fun when you're chasing things but nearly every reward is useful and valuable. If you get something bad you don't need since nothing should be bad, chances are it's 3 legendary marks. 3 marks is crap for raids stuff especially. Why? There's absolutely nothing to spend them on. We need rotating vendors. And dismantling raid stuff should give more than 3 marks.

Also, 135 marks for a special engram for cryptarch is ridiculous price. It should be 50 marks or no more than 75.

LTWood12

Nightfall rewards this week felt like year 1 for once. Wondering if it has anything to do w/ the fact that I didn't do the nightfalls last week. Anywho, I got a decent roll on a Hawksaw and a Hard Light. Nothing amazing, but at least something of use (an exotic shard).

Nightfall rewards this week felt like year 1 for once. Wondering if it has anything to do w/ the fact that I didn't do the nightfalls last week. Anywho, I got a decent roll on a Hawksaw and a Hard Light. Nothing amazing, but at least something of use (an exotic shard).

Its all RNG, you know this. For every Hacksaw you get, someone else got Fall Emotes.

Grave got my wheels churning this morning.

Yep.

tumblr_lt4hyfxGCo1qlfn3ro1_500.gif

Here put on this cutout goatee until we can grow real ones.

evilabed.gif

Axoman

Ranged drops do need to go. Holding out hope there's some kind of etheric light equivalent you can use to boost stuff to 335. Holding out hope, not breath.

Yes. 100%.

Range drops are only remotely ok if:
1. Drop rate is much higher and you are guaranteed the drop is higher than what you currently have.
2. Infusion is 100%
3. There is an item that can be used to raise the light level of an item outside of infusion

Its all RNG, you know this. For every Hacksaw you get, someone else got Fall Emotes.

I swear I'm the only person that loves getting emotes from Nightfalls.

Well, me and my wife anyway.

We were never going to spend money on those, so getting them for free is awesome, and you feel like you're getting an item that actually has monetary value.

Meanwhile, when I don't get an emote, chances are I'm getting a legendary that will be trash, an exotic I already have, strange coins that I don't need, or 3 of coins that I really don't need.

I swear I'm the only person that loves getting emotes from Nightfalls.

Well, me and my wife anyway.

We were never going to spend money on those, so getting them for free is awesome, and you feel like you're getting an item that actually has monetary value.

Meanwhile, when I don't get an emote, chances are I'm getting a legendary that will be trash, an exotic I already have, strange coins that I don't need, or 3 of coins that I really don't need.

I would love a guaranteed source of SC again. Trying to rank up factions without SC/Heavy Ammo takes forever.

WipedOut

Ok, I'll test that theory, I'll run 1 NF and see if the reward is better, two weeks ago I got 9 legendary marks. If I get an exotic I'll run a second one.

edit: On second thought... nah. I ain't got time for #bootylooty

I'm OK with this update. Maybe they're focusing their efforts on updating their tools and/or Destiny 2. I just really hope there are new PvP maps and custom games. Is that too much to ask?

End game division content? Running the same missions over and over to try to get Phoenix Creds?

I mean there are no mechanics in any of those missions do far. Once you have a piece of HE gear you're semi satisfied with for each slot, there's nothing left.

I'm talking about how you get a guaranteed yellow item. And the challenging missions are actually really hard and unforgiving. And it has matchmaking. I've only just reached 30 last night so I'm unaware of the repetitive nature of it all first hand. But I have heard of it on reddit. Either way The Division does some things right, it does some things wrong.

Didn't Bungie do almost the same thing for Y1 as well? We knew there were two expansions coming.

Yes. And I loved that. I almost included that in my post. As much as we all bitched about Y1 destiny, it was superior in a lot of ways.

Deku Tree

I would love a guaranteed source of SC again. Trying to rank up factions without SC/Heavy Ammo takes forever.

All I used to do was log in every day and collect the bounties that I were very easy to complete doing KF HM once a week. Then I completed those bounties, and I did NF. And I made like over 900 SC that way over a few months of play. It's not "guaranteed" but it is guaranteed.

I'm talking about how you get a guaranteed yellow item. And the challenging missions are actually really hard and unforgiving. And it has matchmaking. I've only just reached 30 past night so I'm unaware of the repetitive nature of it all first hand. But I have heard of it on reddit. Either way The Division does some things right, it does some things wrong.

Yes. And I loved that. I almost included that in my post. As much as we all botched about Y1 destiny, it was superior in a lot of ways.

That explains it. I've been 30 for a while and after you've done all 4 challenge mode missions, you've done it all. It was really fun for the time being. Lincoln Tunnel and Lexington are the only 2 worthwhile CM. Russian Consolation is a PITA and Watergate sucks without the right group.

All I used to do was log in every day and collect the bounties that I were very easy to complete doing KF HM once a week. Then I completed those bounties, and I did NF. And I made like over 900 SC that way over a few months of play. It's not "guaranteed" but it is guaranteed.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. It still takes over 700+ to go from 1-25. I wish factions had their own bounties that gave you more rep.

ocean

Banned
Are people still playing The Division? With no PvP I have absolutely no clue what one would do there anymore...it was a baffling decision to make it a PvE only game, it gives it a useful life of like 2 weeks

MildSoss

Are people still playing The Division? With no PvP I have absolutely no clue what one would do there anymore...it was a baffling decision to make it a PvE only game, it gives it a useful life of like 2 weeks

Still playing and having fun. It's great when you have a set group to play with.

Korosenai

It's the number one thing I hated about the taken king. I work my ass off every week grinding raids, and not only do I never get anything, but when I do, it's the lowest light level possible.

Navy Bean

That explains it. I've been 30 for a while and after you've done all 4 challenge mode missions, you've done it all. It was really fun for the time being. Lincoln Tunnel and Lexington are the only 2 worthwhile CM. Russian Consolation is a PITA and Watergate sucks without the right group.

This is exactly how I feel. Logged on last night and somewhere between running the daily missions and challenge mode I decided the game is just not fun enough for me to run the same missions every day.

Smh

edit: like, what good do they think will come from not going ahead and talking about this? Why on earth would you not just reveal this kind of stuff.

They are usually a FOUR (4) week reveal for a tiny update, the same thing that they used for a full expansion last year. It's insane.

"Next week."

Bungie's motto.

It's because the update is April 12th. If you'd prefer, I'm sure they could just withhold all the information until April 11th. Either way, it doesn't effect when the update is applied. They want to use these events over the next few weeks to fuel community engagement, which is working besides the minority of dissenters. Telling you everything about the update doesn't make it come out tomorrow. Chill.

These mines....so much salt...

If anyone wants to start a PvP group tonight I'll be on around 5:30-6PM CST

Need to finish Shaxx bounties on one more character.

LTWood12

It's because the update is April 12th. If you'd prefer, I'm sure they could just withhold all the information until April 11th. Either way, it doesn't effect when the update is applied. They want to use these events over the next few weeks to fuel community engagement, which is working besides the minority of dissenters. Telling you everything about the update doesn't make it come out tomorrow. Chill.

I would prefer that yes.

Smh

edit: like, what good do they think will come from not going ahead and talking about this? Why on earth would you not just reveal this kind of stuff.

There are one of two answers. Which, unfortunately, are total opposites.

Either:

A) Good news! It's like 300-335. Or the drop/infusion system has changed so you wont mind this nearly as much. Thus, we want to save it for a hype building point.

or

B) Bad news! It's 320-335. Which you're going to fucking hate, but we're going to surround that information with other good news so hopefully you don't focus on it too much. Thus we can't just let that information slip through without it's "Good Sandwich"

LTWood12

There are one of two answers. Which, unfortunately, are total opposites.

Either:

A) Good news! It's like 300-335. Or the drop/infusion system has changed so you wont mind this nearly as much. Thus, we want to save it for a hype building point.

or

B) Bad news! It's 320-335. Which you're going to fucking hate, but we're going to surround that information with other good news so hopefully you don't focus on it too much. Thus we can't just let that information slip through without it's "Good Sandwich"

I'd rather have a Jill Sandwich
image.php

I definitely wouldn't want it to be all on the same day, but to be throughout one week, say do one on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so that it's not spanned out too far, but far enough for us to have enough time to discuss it and for people to find all the small hints in it. It only takes a day or two to do all that stuff, not a whole week.

Lee

It's going to be a long road to 335, and not many people will make the effort, but they're pretty clear about trying to keep people busy with this for the next four months. I worked for 320 pretty hard in TTK, but I realize that it doesn't matter for anything and all I enjoy playing is trials, occasional 6v6 games when we have extra people on, and the odd raid here and there.

ELO is my light level grind these days.

Top Bottom