• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Blizzard puts out amazing patch notes and expansion previews. They don't dole them out over weeks and then put a sales bulletin page.

They have Public Test Realms for community feedback. Lead designers talk to the community, not PR managers.

They include precise #s and include philosophy notes behind changes.

They respect players enough to be honest and forthright. They respect players enough to make the game rewarding not RNG on RNG.

And Blizzard is a company more secretive than Bungie.

But no.

Edit: top of the page salt.
1ceb66aa4694ee7b7cf06311495a6bdf.gif

Blizzard puts out amazing patch notes and expansion previews. They don't dole them out over weeks and then put a sales bulletin page.

They have Public Test Realms for community feedback. Lead designers talk to the community, not PR managers.

They include precise #s and include philosophy notes behind changes.

They respect players enough to be honest and forthright. They respect players enough to make the game rewarding not RNG on RNG.

And Blizzard is a company more secretive than Bungie.

But no.

Edit: top of the page salt.
1ceb66aa4694ee7b7cf06311495a6bdf.gif

I feel like the Public Test Realm was the beginning of WoWs downfall. Because of how it worked, every player knew every single little change and/or surprise way before it launched. Especially when some PTRs were out for 3-6 months before the patch went live.

I don't think Destiny fits a public test realm scenario very well.

That said, patch notes should be handed out at least 24 hours ahead of time. No excuses. Getting patch notes after the patch is retarded, and doesn't give people enough time to absorb all the changes.

All sins will be forgiven if the loot is cool, powerful, and fun. The sniper rifle is a good start.

All sins will be forgiven when Bungie just talks to us, instead of past us or snarks at us. (DeeJ's boss' weapon parts.)

It's a relationship. Single acts don't fix relationships.

And continues to do so. I love Diablo. Love it to bits. There have been problems for a long time in that, but Devs comment on them. They say, "we want to fix that to, but it takes a major patch" or "we're prioritizing game crashes right before UI glitches". Oh, okay. I understand.

Bungie's silence kills my investment in Destiny. Like if they talked to us about all this stuff and didn't change a thing, just acknowledged our frustrations, I wouldn't be near as salty.

PS, Kor, not arguing for a PTR really, just saying it's incredibly revealing and empowering for the community. (That said a PTR for the Crucible might be neat.)

Mindlog

I played fucktons of Halo and never complained about "content" or "rewards" because it was just fun. I didn't need weekly lockouts or gear scores or RNG.
Nodded so hard I sprained my neck. However my urge to rant about loot is currently overwhelmed by my apathy.

Well a mini-note.
I have ~25 exotic engrams in my Vault. My excitement to try out the new exotics we will be getting is overshadowed by the idea that it would be better to wait until I could decrypt them at their max light level.

THE LIGHT SYSTEM SUCKS

Unnecessary. Trying too hard for that salt title.

Yes please.

You and Trout should just arm wrestle for the salty title

BOTTOM OF PAGE ANTI HYPE
The difference is, I'm "salty" about the hyperbole here while he and others are "salty" (such a stupid word) about the developer, literally calling all of them assholes and perpetuating an almost conspiracy-like notion that Bungie is out to get the player and ruin fun. of course, they are also complete morons and totally inept. I don't feel like continuing on about why that sort of attitude and treatment of a developer is wrong and overly simplistic.

I really enjoy playing destiny, especially with the friends I've made from here. The hate here though often makes enjoying discussion of destiny difficult. The DestinyGAF community is completing it's transformation into the Reach era HaloGAF community in record time.

Chill out, it's a video game, and it's going to continue to bring us hours of enjoyment. It doesn't have to be infinite enjoyment, it's fine to take breaks until something comes along that you find fun again.

I admit it, I'm surprised we're all riding the pit of the sin wave right now.

Usually new information puts us at least on the upward path out of the valley.

Maybe I was a bit harsh to include everyone but the people who make the decisions shouldn't be free from our ire as they've done nothing but treat us like idiots. What with the constant lying (SBMM, Drop rates, 0.04%), belittling of of the community through weekly updates/general communication

As usual John puts it far better than I could. Bungie don't have a relationship with us

Edit and I cant wait till next week when the weapon skins for silver drops

phen0m24

I really enjoy playing destiny, especially with the friends I've made from here. The hate here though often makes enjoying discussion of destiny difficult. The DestinyGAF community is completing it's transformation into the Reach era HaloGAF community in record time.

Chill out, it's a video game, and it's going to continue to bring us hours of enjoyment. It doesn't have to be infinite enjoyment, it's fine to take breaks until something comes along that you find fun again.

I can get behind this. Sorry if I sounded outright judgmental. Good points.

LTWood12

As far as the content itself I think it'll be fun, and I'm looking forward to having more things to do. My frustration totally revolves around the terrible communication and mixed signals.

yare yare....Bungie can't even make things clear with the drop info.

Hopefully next week goes into it, but fucks sake they should stop splitting up the info.

I think "up to" and no word on infusion changes is why a lot of this is coming out.

I swear before, we'd get way more information on changes they're looking at and what they want to fix, ahead of time. Now it seems all secretive.

And dividing the info in 3 quarters of a month's time is really lame, imo.

The difference is, I'm "salty" about the hyperbole here while he and others are "salty" (such a stupid word) about the developer, literally calling all of them assholes and perpetuating an almost conspiracy-like notion that Bungie is out to get the player and ruin fun. of course, they are also complete morons and totally inept. I don't feel like continuing on about why that sort of attitude and treatment of a developer is wrong and overly simplistic.

I wouldn't call it hate at all. It's more like tough love...

Taking a breath now.

I think this update feels a lot like Bungie carrying on as normal, like the community's only problem has been just a simple lack of content.

This update is an amplifier in a sense: If you were just chilling with Destiny and just wanted something new to do, you're already pretty happy and now happier. Whereas if you're bothered by some of glaring issues in Year 2 with the game and with Bungie's issues with the community, then this reads like you're being ignored and that things you didn't like are being doubled down on.

Bottom line: what we got yesterday is "more of the same" on many, many fronts. How you react to that is revealing.

Levito

Banned
So I'm light level 245 right now, and I've been running the level 36 Vanguard strikes for now and getting good pieces of gear every so often. It's a slow burn though and it's kinda boring, I'd like to run the heroic Vanguard strikes but it says recommended light level 260--to soon to try the heroic?

So what's the best way to raise my light level?

So I'm light level 245 right now, and I've been running the level 36 Vanguard strikes for now and getting good pieces of gear every so often. It's a slow burn though and it's kinda boring, I'd like to run the heroic Vanguard strikes but it says recommended light level 260--to soon to try the heroic?

Court of Oryx would be your best bet

PvP is a pretty good way to get drops as well. Just make sure you're always wearing your highest light gear.

Also, here's the trick to decrypting engrams:

Decrypt 1 at a time, wearing your highest light weapons and gear. If that 1 is higher light you just decrypted, wear it then decrypt the next engram. Repeat doing it 1 at a time.

Buy a Exotics from Xur, the special vendor who shows up on weekends, if you haven't. That's an automatic 280 LL armor piece and weapon.

Finish some of the questions. Many of them award 280LL weapons and armor as well.

Finally save up some marks and buy weapons from the Tower Vendors. The Hung Jury Scout Rifle from Dead Orbit is amazing, but there are other good options too. Get marks from completing Daily Story Missions, Daily PvP matches and Weekly PvP Matches.

And yes, you can just grind strikes for engrams, but those are some ways that have variety. 245 is low for the Heroic, but not unbeatable, especially with a fireteam and if you take it slow.

Taking a breath now.

I think this update feels a lot like Bungie carrying on as normal, like the community's only problem has been just a simple lack of content.

This update is an amplifier in a sense: If you were just chilling with Destiny and just wanted something new to do, you're already pretty happy and now happier. Whereas if you're bothered by some of glaring issues in Year 2 with the game and with Bungie's issues with the community, then this reads like you're being ignored and that things you didn't like are being doubled down on.

Bottom line: what we got yesterday is "more of the same" on many, many fronts. How you react to that is revealing.

I suppose I've become immune to the mental abuse that is bungie's communication methods. I've just accepted that this is how they talk to us now. And I will have to sift through it for actual info.

It's because the update is April 12th. If you'd prefer, I'm sure they could just withhold all the information until April 11th. Either way, it doesn't effect when the update is applied. They want to use these events over the next few weeks to fuel community engagement, which is working besides the minority of dissenters. Telling you everything about the update doesn't make it come out tomorrow. Chill.

The problem is that they drag it out.

Just like DeeJ's bwu, it full of fluff about "decending into the fathoms" and all these pretty words. Just tell us what's up. Instead they think teasing us for 4 weeks after not saying anything for 4 months is ok. We've waited long enough. /entitled as fuck

X-Frame

Can someone explain to me the importance or reason for there being Level 41 enemies or Level 42 enemies even though we now have a Light system?

For example, how does damage dealt/received change if I'm Level 40 and 270 Light and the enemies are Level 41 and 280 Light? What if the same enemies were Level 40 and 280 Light?

I'm looking up how to unlock that now, thanks.

Questions? I'm sorry I don't know what those are. >.>

Quests he means.

Particularly the Taken War quest chain which should have started after you finished the Regicide mission on the Dreadnaught.

Can someone explain to me the importance or reason for there being Level 41 enemies or Level 42 enemies even though we now have a Light system?

For example, how does damage dealt/received change if I'm Level 40 and 270 Light and the enemies are Level 41 and 280 Light? What if the same enemies were Level 40 and 280 Light?

Because enemies can't be Light Level 330 or whatever. 300LL is roughly equal to level 40. However, you've probably noticed Oryx on Hard mode has level 42 adds. This is to compare to a 320LL. Because at 311LL those level 42 adds are no longer orange, but white to us. Thus we're in their level range.

It's a bad side effect of the current light level system. Because enemies can only show you two numbers for their level, compared to our three.

WipedOut

The problem is that they drag it out.

Just like DeeJ's bwu, it full of fluff about "decending into the fathoms" and all these pretty words. Just tell us what's up. Instead they think teasing us for 4 weeks after not saying anything for 4 months is ok. We've waited long enough. /entitled as fuck

This is a community manager. Actually playing the game and answering questions

https://www.twitch.tv/thedivisiongame

And tweeting important things like what scavenging does.

https://twitter.com/hamishbode

the_id

Just posting for the new page, this thread is moving fast because its riding on a very Salty flat.

Full roster for GAF v GAF tomorrow (Good Friday):

1. Merhmantrout
2. the_id
3. real2kev (bigmanny)
4. Biggy
5. Tri4
6. Shiv47
7. Feetiemaomao
8. Night_Knight
9. stay gold (seanders_89)
10. Blazeuk
11. X_magik_ox
12. Pandora012

Subs:
1. TheAquaticApe
2. DrDrizzay (maybe if we don't do Mayhem Clash)

Let me know if you guys want to join. Still some room for subs.

Deku Tree

Bungie has a show to put on. Some people act like HBO should reveal the cliff hanger ending to Game of Thrones before the season even starts.

Come on Kor, it's going to be exactly the same 1) the infusion node was still there 2) Bungie guy said its up to 335 light 3) they've got to string it out for 16 weeks

I'm referring to the fact that we don't know if the weapons/armor from CoE has static perks on it or not.

Thus the other layer of RNG.

Obviously the LL layer of RNG still exists.

Edit: Well, the third layer, anyway.

RNG to get the item to Drop
RNG to get the LL of the item
RNG to get perks worth keeping

I'm really hopeful that bungie is listening to the community and decides to change the things we don't want, like rewards that are up to 335, and not just 335. I would think the point of these streams is to get community feedback and adjust their game based on their feedback. I can only dream.
it won't happen ):

Dez_

All sins will be forgiven when Bungie just talks to us, instead of past us or snarks at us. (DeeJ's boss' weapon parts.)
I don't really have an issue with DeeJ, but this was probably the only comment he made that annoyed me since I was experiencing the severe weapons drought of late 2015. I'm sure it was meant to be funny, but it came off as rather flippant. Other than that, most of what he says, or can't really talk about doesn't bother me

I am hoping that within the next few weeks, we get some details on any pvp improvements. It's honestly been the main thing that I've been sticking to lately. I'm finally starting to see some improvement (not the lowest scoring player on the team, yay), and I would like to hear if there is anything to change up in the crucible. Again, keeping my expectations low. I don't even know how big the live team is, since I imagine the rest of Bungie is working on the fall expansion and Destiny 2.

I don't really have an issue with DeeJ, but this was probably the only comment he made that annoyed me since I was experiencing the severe weapons drought of late 2015. I'm sure it was meant to be funny, but it came off as rather flippant. Other than that, most of what he says, or can't really talk about doesn't bother me

I am hoping that within the next few weeks, we get some details on any pvp improvements. It's honestly been the main thing that I've been sticking to lately. I'm finally starting to see some improvement (not the lowest scoring player on the team, yay), and I would like to hear if there is anything to change up in the crucible. Again, keeping my expectations low. I don't even know how big the live team is, since I imagine the rest of Bungie is working on the fall expansion and Destiny 2.

Honestly, I'm going to start giving Deej the benefit of the doubt more after the intro to this last Stream.

He mentioned that he was going to post all the concept art in the TWAB, and then afterwards mentioned that he didn't actually have permission to do that. And in fact, he was denied that request from the Audio ViDoc stream. Which means he wanted to put it on there, but someone else said no.

I know we imagine that Deej is kept on a pretty short leash sometimes, but this if the first time I've ever seen actual evidence of it.

I am so damn sick of the infusion system and the overall light system in Year 2.

Year 1 was fucking great. Legendaries and exotics dropping at max level 100% of the time was fantastic.

I'd love to go back to it even if it meant weapons taking forever to level up again.

Top Bottom