• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got Thunderlord from IB yesterday (I know it's random, but I had the highest k/d!)
Any thoughts? Been running with zombie apocalypse since week 1, love the stability.
Wonderful machine gun, becomes truly beast when upgraded. Slow rate of rate but it basically shoots spears. What element is your Zombie Apoc? If it's arc, they'll overlap too much in utility to keep both. If not, awesome two guns to have on hard.
Haven't done the weekly yet, was planning on it. The last 3 coins were what I was skeptical about.

Nightfall rewarding coins is random, though? I'm assuming the last 3 coins will be up to RNG?
Indeed, unless you have an alt, but running a bunch of tiger strikes and decoding all the engrams can give you a pretty good shot.

I'm excited for everyone who's getting an Ice Breaker today. It really is a game-changing weapon in PvE.

However, I am disappointed with how common exotics feel. I know a lot of you haven't reached this point yet, but you will. Before release, I thought that exotic items were going to be difficult to get and feel like a rare surprise. I remember looking through the Arms and Armament book and hoping to get a few of these amazing-looking weapons someday. Now, only a month later, I have about half of them. It's just... underwhelming. (And again, those of you who don't have many exotics yet: You will if you keep playing. I don't have amazing luck, just a really absurd play time.)

Have you done the Weekly on level 28? You get 9 just from that, you can also try Nightfall since that can sometimes reward coins. I got rewarded from it the other day with 10 coins so in 1 week from both missions I got 19 coins. Plus along the way some blue engrams turned into coins.

FYI, at lvl 25 you can do the weekly 28 or nightfall (assuming you have 2 friends to carry you lol). What I did for an extra 9 coins last night was use my main to help 2 friends do the 28 weekly and cheese the boss down to a sliver of health. Then switched to my 25 alt titan and after we finished the boss, Bam, extra 9 coins :D

Please. Sure I'm happy about people getting the weapon I want, but the smile on my face is more along the lines of "yesss now the odds of someone on my fireteam having an Ice Breaker are higher"!

This may not work but...

Look at how much you coveted the Hawkmoon. You saved all your engrams, its the only gun in the world that you wanted... and you've played the shit out of this game looking for it.

It finally drops in your lap after how many weeks.

Now... next week Xur has it for sale for 17 coins. You wouldn't be the slightest upset?

Or would you "I'm just happy more people have it so they can enjoy the game."

I'd be upset.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Haven't done the weekly yet, was planning on it. The last 3 coins were what I was skeptical about.

Nightfall rewarding coins is random, though? I'm assuming the last 3 coins will be up to RNG?

Yea its random, I think though it's a lot lower on RNG because its out of a 4 things or maybe more. I'm just going of the top of my head but I think it's only these which can be rewarded in Nightfall along with other things as engrams. I could be wrong though so someone else might be able to help you.

• Legendary Gear
  • Ascendant Material
  • Strange Coins
  • Motes of Light

You can do a Tiger strike in 10-15 minutes depending on the level. I think the quickest is Venus Nexus or the Moon.

Fitts

I never had an Icebreaker.

But that feeling of 'hoping the end of this match will bring it to me' will be gone the second I get home and buy it.

OK. This makes me understand the other side of the argument. I want a Hawkmoon and there's definitely a sense of tension every time I complete an activity or decode a primary legendary engram.

...then again, I would still be stoked if Xur was selling it. (won't happen because it's always the same stuff for all platforms, yes?)

blackflag

How does 77 wizard compare to Light/Beware? I just got 77 from an engram but unfortunately they are both the same element so there's no point in keeping both.

Bought the Icebreaker before work this morning and man the kick on that is something. Idk, I'm still leaning toward my solar damage Supremacy for my main sniper, tho I still have to level the Icebreaker to be sure. That ammo regeneration should come in handy on raid bosses however

Yea its random, I think though it's a lot lower on RNG because its out of a 4 things or maybe more. I'm just going of the top of my head but I think it's only these which can be rewarded in Nightfall along with other things as engrams. I could be wrong though so someone else might be able to help you.

• Legendary Gear
  • Ascendant Material
  • Strange Coins
  • Motes of Light

Yeah I'll hardly be complaining about any of those as a reward anyway, except maybe motes.

Deku Tree

Fuckin hell, Ice Breaker this week after I spent coin on Red Death last week.

ibbH4c4Juyq4zW.gif

I need 10 coins by the end of Saturday, friends.

Do a lot of tiger strikes. If you do enough, eventually you have a very high probability of getting ten coins before xur leaves.

Doodis

So...yay or nay on ice breaker? Don't know much about it but the "no reloading" thing concerns me. How long does it take to regenerate ammo?

ethomaz

Banned
So...yay or nay on ice breaker? Don't know much about it but the "no reloading" thing concerns me. How long does it take to regenerate ammo?
Ice Breaker is the best snipe in the game... no mistake here.

+- 1 ammo each 2 or 3 seconds.

Yaari

Its one of the best Exotics out there, so definitely go for it. As for regeneration, few seconds, its not bad at all.

hydruxo

Managed to do Flawless Raider yesterday. Man, that was a rush. Gorgon maze was completely out of sync, so had to improvise how to get past them safely. By the time we arrived at the jumping platform section i was shaking and sweating like crazy. Last time i had this feeling was back in the WoW days competing for world first kills. We never really practiced Atheon encounter much so we went over roles and strategy for 20 mins. And nailed it first try without any problem whatsoever. In the end we all got the Flawless Raider tropy. After wards we went to hard mode and got the hard mode trophy as well. Sadly no Vex Pulse Rifle. All in all, very productive evening. Just need to do 50 ghosts and level my warlock and the platinum is mine....

rmNV1g2.png
Damn very impressive.

I want to go for this eventually too.

Homeboyd

Seconds. Trust me. BUY IT.

You may never see this damn thing again. It is by FAR, my favorite weapon in the entire game. Out of everything even possible... yes including the mythoclast. BUY THIS GUN RIGHT NOW or you will RUE this day.

RUE IT I SAY.

You've been warned.

If you have the coins you might as well just buy it.

Its a God for hard PvE games that you are taking slow and picking off people from afar.

I have a legendary sniper and can hold 30 rounds in reserve. So I can fire off a shit ton of sniper shots while the Icebreaker is waiting to re-gen ammo. And I never have an issue finding sniper ammo.

There are both sides of the argument.

I know I'm far and away more advanced than the "average" player. Thats not what I'm after. I've played the game over 100 hours. There should be more that differentiates my character than someone who casually plays.

Its not about being "better" than anyone else in the game. Most exotics don't do anything that their legendary equivelant can't do.

Except for the IceBreaker, Gjallarhorn, and Pocket Infinity (and a few others Hawkian mentioned above.) Those shouldn't be easily obtained.

There isn't enough honesty int his thread.

I refuse to believe that everyone in here has a smile on their face that the Icebreaker is for sale and now thousands of more people will have it. "Oh, well I'm just glad that everyone gets to enjoy the Icebreaker now..."

Every single player in Destiny right now could own all three of those precious guns of yours and still, only miniscule %3.3 percent would have even one of them fully leveled. Still don't feel special enough? I don't know how much more special you want to feel based on the numbers I posted. Destiny GAF is not representative of the main population of players. I almost never see a Nightfall glow on players in Tower. Even when they are lvl 27's and 28's

timnich

Definitely yes on the icebreaker. The no reloading kind of sucks at first, but once you learn how to use the weapon you will love the regen ammo. I use the icebreaker more then my primary weapons, its carried me through so many fights. Plus it just sounds so badass to fire.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This may not work but...

Look at how much you coveted the Hawkmoon. You saved all your engrams, its the only gun in the world that you wanted... and you've played the shit out of this game looking for it.

Now... next week Xur has it for sale for 17 coins. You wouldn't be the slightest upset?

I'd be upset.
  1. It dropped in my lap after.... two weeks. I didn't play the shit out of the game looking for it, because it wasn't possible to do so. There was no concrete way to pursue it. I had two Primary weapon engrams saved up (which I wasn't doing for any reasons related remotely to getting Hawkmoon). One became motes of light, one became Hawkmoon. I got the luckiest I have ever... ever been in a videogame by far and got the exact gun I wanted on a whim. That's it. Luck. I don't feel remotely like I accomplished anything special by obtaining it, despite my exuberant joy at having it. I thought I would be playing for many months before seeing a whiff of it, because that's how RNG usually treats me.
  2. Xur presumably cannot stock Hawkmoon because it's PS4 exclusive.
  3. As a primary weapon, it would cost 23 coins rather than 17
  4. Yes, I would, fact, merely be happy that people with the coins saved up could obtain the gun they had yearned for. It would affect my experience exactly not at all, just as it has not upset me that other people have obtained Hawkmoon (or even multiple copies) from PvP, in the raid, from Nightfalls, etc. It did upset me when one dude told me he dismantled his though -_-
We just have very different approaches to what makes the game enjoyable. That's fine, but Xur isn't going to stop selling big ticket items, so this isn't going to stop upsetting you unless you adapt.

EL CUCO

No reload, carry 6 bullets at a time, ammo recharges one bullet at a time about every 2-3 seconds, so its not a whole clip at one pop. Rifle kicks like a mule.

Must buy

I think it's decently fast. Its magazine is 6, but I can usually fire off 8 shots in quick succession before I have to pause*. Also, the scope is crazy long-range on it, so it's not so great for a lot of situations. But get it! It's amazing!

*Does the regen rate vary, or is that just me not paying attention enough?

void666

Banned
Xur selling the ice breaker makes me kind of upset though i know i shouldn't.

I got mine from a purple engram. The first time i got lucky. One week later and i could've just bought it. Now i wish that purple engram would've given me a hawkmoon or last word instead.

Not sure if my grammar is correct.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Assuming you don't hate sniper rifles, it is an absolutely magnificent weapon. Always joyous when someone on my team has one

Every single player in Destiny right now could own all three of those precious guns of yours and still, only miniscule %3.3 percent would have even one of them fully leveled. Still don't feel special enough? I don't know how much more special you want to feel based on the numbers I posted. Destiny GAF is not representative of the main population of players. I almost never see a Nightfall glow on players in Tower. Even when they are lvl 27's and 28's

I dont have those guns!! I dont have Icebreaker. You have to read what I actually write.

DestinyGAF and my IRL friends are who I compare myself to because they are the people I play with. I dont care that I have 10 more exotics than joe shmo who plays one day a week. He can go to Xur today and buy one of the 3 weapons in the game that I do care about and I searched far and long for.

ocean

Banned
I'm buying an Icebreaker. Question: how can I use it against Atheon during a Raid run? Should I use my primary to shoot through the bubbles that are created around me and then use Icebreaker? I'm not sure I'd have time to get many shots off with a Sniper after taking down that detain field...

I bought the Ice Breaker. It feels good to own. I know I have said a lot about The Last Word but I miss it when the Ice Breaker is equipped.

Also, I wonder why they lowerd the price of the weapon this week from 23 to 17 for one of the best weapons in the game.

Daemul

What the actual fuck is this. Master, show me your secrets, I said goddamn.

He probably did the Atheon fight on hard mode without doing it first on normal. Doing any part of the Raid or opening a chest on hard mode without doing that part or opening that chest on normal grants you double drops.

I dont have those guns!! I dont have Icebreaker. You have to read what I actually write.

DestinyGAF and my IRL friends are who I compare myself to because they are the people I play with. I dont care that I have 10 more exotics than joe shmo who plays one day a week. He can go to Xur today and buy one of the 3 weapons in the game that I do care about and I searched far and long for.

Are you a masochist? Why would ending one of those searches with a currency that was rewarded to you for your consistent efforts some how not be a joyous moment? Again you seemingly want to have your cake and eat it too.

Futaba

This may not work but...

I'd be upset.
I wanted the ice breaker, I had 54 hours play time on the Alpha, 77 hours playtime on the Beta, I currently have 140 hours play time on PS4, and 62 hours play time on the Xbox One, that's a combined total of 202 hours playtime for the retail game and well over 300 hours for the game in general.

I don't think that puts me in front of someone that has played less, I don't consider myself superior, and so long as the people I play with are making an effort, no matter how things pan out, it's a game, if we're having fun, it's serving its purpose, it doesn't matter if they've played 200 hours or 2.

All of this without once, stepping foot in to a PVP match.

If I had spent the entire time trying to RNG myself an icebreaker either as a reward or as a decrypt, and finally got one last night, and found Xur had them in stock today, I wouldn't be mad, not at all, because I wouldn't have had to spend the strange coins on it, and other people having it does not negatively impact the game to me, if anything the higher number of people with better equipment and weapons actually enhances the game, because it makes teaming up with friends or strangers to tackle the games various challenges more enjoyable.

It really doesn't matter what you have or what youve found, Very few people pay any attention to the weapons other players are using, or the equipment theyre wearing, what they DO notice however, is if the person theyre playing with is holding their own and contributing to the kill count, and that's all that really matters.

EL CUCO

Should I be mad that I received 12 Ascendant shards from doing Nightfall?

I've been there with Ass Energy. Once you learn to accept it, it doesn't hurt as much.

It really is useful for upgrading quicker, it's just not a sexy drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom