• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

The Hive are Solar Elemental Burn right?

So all the Solar VoG RAID weapons are going to kick but in the Crota RAID I am guessing.

Would be nice to have a Solar VoC for the Crota RAID.

Bizazedo

I haven't tested yet but will tonight.

For those that don't want random picks for atheon,

if 3 players (warlocks) killed themselves just before transport then self res

it would technically allow you to use the same characters going through the portals every time....

This works.

And then the game bugs out and only sends two people in.

realcZk

US$20 for a Raid, new gear and weapons, a few story missions and strikes seems alright I guess. Not the deal of the century but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. Twenty bucks for a few hours of fun seems about right.

Yeah I'm not worried about getting my "money's worth" either.... I've already got over 8 days of playtime in Destiny because I'm a filthy addict...

Honestly though when you have friends that play with you its so much more fun. I feel for anyone who is playing this game solo, I would have quit a long time ago. I can't stress enough how important it is to play with friends and if you don't have any - attempt to make friends in the game. You'll have a much better time. The best content in Destiny is tackled as a team.

Tovarisc

HgehnmR.jpg

I'm saddened by that Warlock armor set, it looks like slightly touched up stuff from level 10. Especially after very cool looking stuff that is VoG helm and chest armor.

FrankT

Yeah I'm not worried about getting my "money's worth" either.... I've already got over 8 days of playtime in Destiny because I'm a filthy addict...

Honestly though when you have friends that play with you its so much more fun. I feel for anyone who is playing this game solo, I would have quit a long time ago. I can't stress enough how important it is to play with friends and if you don't have any - attempt to make friends in the game. You'll have a much better time. The best content in Destiny is tackled as a team.

Yea and you are right and I pretty much did all the team based stuff last night. 2 raids and a nightfall. Very good time to be had, but now a week of nothing. Simply frustrating content.

I don't know, I've put almost 6 days of playtime in the game (on my one character) but it might be time to leave. Two of my good friends that I play with are out, I can't get the raid legs to drop (that I need for the sense of "completion"), and the next xpac just doesn't have very much content for XB1 players to hold us over for another 3-6 months.

it's a good thing November is stacked with releases.

Agreed. I haven't looked forward to a November like this for a very long time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure. But Raid wasn't fun to attempt at lowest level to me, and I don't really enjoy Heroic VoG tbh (sitting out Legions etc). A lot of players struggle to get their build to level 30, I hope the new Raid is at least doable at 28-29.
Well if the raid wasn't fun for you I definitely understand opting out of the entire proposition here. There's little ultimate value in more raids if you didn't like the first one.

Getting to level 30 is largely unnecessary (lots of players, including myself, are constant strugglers to overcome the RNG speedbumps to make it to such a cap) as will be level 32. By my prediction, the new raid will be reasonable to complete at level 29, especially with the maxed exotics in your arsenal you are likely to have by that point.
US$20 for a Raid, new gear and weapons, a few story missions and strikes seems alright I guess. Not the deal of the century but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. Twenty bucks for a few hours of fun seems about right.
I expect the raid to bear the lion's share of the entertainment-per-hour, but I also think these DLCs will have more value for anyone who might be interested in collecting exotics like I am. Have to admit they created a devilish feedback loop on that one- looking over my inventory right now I'd say I'm in "striking distance" of owning every single one- but that'll only be true until the next batch is released.

I imagine this is how people who believe there are more than 152 pokémon felt when a new game was just on the horizon.

Playing literally solo sounds like an absolute nightmare to me. It is designed at every step of the way to be played laughing and pulling off crazy shit with your friends or your at least your closest strangers on mics. The community here on GAF is awesome to play with, I really hope everyone considers jumping in and looking for help/teammates for content here as it has certainly fueled if not completely driven my enjoyment of the game as a whole.

Carn82

yup, same here. Looking forward to the 'story improvements'.

Angry Guy

Please don't invalidate all the raid gear I've spent weeks getting a couple months after release.

Please don't invalidate all the raid gear I've spent weeks getting a couple months after release.

Is this the best look we've had at the House of Wolves expansion? Considering the similar Dark Below promo image, that's no doubt the Raid armor.

yfJttbk.png

patchday

They won't. The level cap is based on gear, if you don't have the DLC you can't get the gear that will get you to 32. However, you don't need LVL 32 to do anything other than the DLC raid Hard Mode or whatever it is I guess.

Iron Banner level scaling apparently doesn't exist or doesn't matter, you don't take less damage from lower level targets, you don't do more damage to lower level targets. Being higher level nets you no benefits other than doing higher level content which doesn't exist.

Edit: Woops typed VoG instead of Iron Banner. Either way level scaling in this game is messed up.

You should check out the blog on the new iron banner on bungie.net

But who knows when it will return. The items will take us to 30 light. however, I bet they will roll it out right before DLC.

Not sure if I will buy the dlc. I don't want to work hit to hit level cap only to get smacked right back down. I realize gear treadmills are common to typical MMOs (which is why I avoid them like the plague)

The type of MMOs I like to play are pvp-focused ones like EVE Online which does not involve a gear treadmill (for example).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It won't be "invalidated" in that you can use it to comfortably enter and complete the next raid.

It will be invalidated in that there will be better raid gear to replace it. There's almost zero chance that you won't be setting up for disappointment if you don't expect that.

Midas

I bought the Destiny Digital Guardian Edition so I'm in for at least the first two DLC's... and I feel super enthusiastic about them... I haven't been this exited about a single video game in a long time. I have more play time in destiny than in any other game in years.

Same thing for me. And I'm not even sure why.

It won't be "invalidated" in that you can use it to comfortably enter and complete the next raid.

It will be invalidated in that there will be better raid gear to replace it. There's almost zero chance that you won't be setting up for disappointment if you don't expect that.

This reminds me of every other RPGish game (with raid content) that I've played before now.

People are bittersweet about new raids because their gear will no longer be top tier, but fail to recognize that second tier raid gear is still better than 90% of the playerbase.

Jito

Banned
Welp! Just played through a level 24 Moon story missions to kill a load of Hive while wearing the pumpkin head. Got absolutely nothing, how surprising.

Also it's pretty shit Bungie are showing off the new gear and guns on the DLC website, kinda ruins the surprise.

Edit: Lol one of the story missions screenshots on the website is just The Grotto on earth, finally getting some use out of that environment already in the game Bungie?

ocean

Banned
Is there a reason for helms to be treated different to other gear pieces in the game?

Gauntlets Chest and Boots are all 65 Marks with every single vendor, whereas helms are 120. Then there's the fact that the raid Helm only drops on Hard, making it seem like the most exclusive part of the set. I also believe there's more Exotic Helms than Gauntlets and Chests.

Is this arbitrary or is there some discernible reasoning behind it?

Deku Tree

Welp! Just played through a level 24 Moon story missions to kill a load of Hive while wearing the pumpkin head. Got absolutely nothing, how surprising.

Also it's pretty shit Bungie are showing off the new gear and guns on the DLC website, kinda ruins the surprise.

You don't have to look...

The issue I have with the approach they're taking to 'fixing' the story is that the Tower will still be a soulless husk filled with soulless husks (but now with a new NPC with some stories for you). They're obviously not going to call back all the big name celebs they wasted the potential of to do lost cat quests and maybe make them matter a little. They'll probably just get talked about, and say the same 2 lines over and over forever (in addition whatever lines they had the foresight to record in their original sessions for DLC, which will be more of the same soulless briefings in line with their original vision). I dunno-- I want to believe, but they haven't given me much reason to.

Tovarisc

Only if warlocks Crota tier wasn't so uninspired design and done on top of some low level, already existing, gear.

Judging from the pic, I know, but I'm worried :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They wont raise the light lvl on these ?
The odds of this are almost nothing. Traditional gear treadmill structure suggests that you will be compelled to do the next content released to progress a bit more vertically and then hit a new plateau, which allows you ideal entry into the next content, etc.

Expect every existing legendary in the game to stay the same. Exotics are another story.
This reminds me of every other RPGish game (with raid content) that I've played before now.

People are bittersweet about new raids because their gear will no longer be top tier, but fail to recognize that second tier raid gear is still better than 90% of the playerbase.
Very good point. The treadmill is less pronounced in Destiny than in an RPG because there's a lot of potential to compensate for [x arbitrary stat] with skill. As I said, I do think 29 will be sufficient to participate in the new raid which is a small comfort.

Deku Tree

I hope they fix the reward system in the new raid. Nothing as bad as completing three hard atheeons and having shards and chattewhite to show for it.

HaleStorm

Am I incorrect in my understanding that I can achieve the same light level with Crucible gear as I can with normal raid gear?

Yes, you are incorrect.

Legendary items go to 27 light, exotics and raid gear go to 30. you need 30 light on all items to hit 30.

Bungie has said that the next time the Iron Banner roles around their will be gear there that can hit 30, but made it sound like a complete set may not be available for each class.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Am I incorrect in my understanding that I can achieve the same light level with Crucible gear as I can with normal raid gear?
Standard Crucible gear? Yes, that's incorrect. It's equivalent to normal legendary gear, not raid gear.
Same light level but you only get two pieces from Crucible.
This pertains to the Iron Banner, just to make sure we're all on the same page here.

edit: beaten. skreeee

FrankT

I hope they fix the reward system in the new raid. Nothing as bad as completing three hard atheeons and having shards and chattewhite to show for it.

Yes, like maybe just maybe if you complete the raid you are guaranteed at least one piece. Something along those lines. They could do a million things. Maybe you get token for a turn in or something.

ocean

Banned
Huh? I can get boots, chest, helm, and gloves from Crucible.
If you mean the Crucible Vendor and the sets he sells, they'll only take you up to level 29 if coupled with an Exotic. Vendor gear maxes out at +27 Light; Raid and Exotic gear max out at +30 Light each.

You need 109 light for level 29 so if you buy all four Legendaries at a vendor you won't make it (27*4=108). For level 30 you need all four pieces at +30 for the required 120 Light. You can only do this with 4 raid pieces or 3 raid + an exotic.

Standard Crucible gear? Yes, that's incorrect. It's equivalent to normal legendary gear, not raid gear.

Yes, you are incorrect.

Legendary items go to 27 light, exotics and raid gear go to 30. you need 30 light on all items to hit 30.

Bungie has said that the next time the Iron Banner roles around their will be gear there that can hit 30, but made it sound like a complete set may not be available for each class.

only Iron Banner stuff will make you a 30 not normal crucible gear.

Here's my confusion - my normal raid boots have 18 base light, my crucible boots have 18 base light. Both have 5 defense upgrades. Will the raid gear defense upgrades yield more light than crucible?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Chitown B

"Raid is working as it's intended to be" - Bungie

3 weeks later

"Yeah we heard about complaints, we're listening" - Bungie

6 weeks later, DLC drops

"Go do the new Raid, Old Raid is busted, why fix it now?" - Bungie

So true.

As much as it bothered me about 343 taking over Halo, at this point I'm kinda glad. At least they seem to care and listen to the fans. I feel like Bungie changed a lot since the Halo 3 days.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here's my confusion - my normal raid boots have 18 base light, my crucible boots have 18 base light. Both have 5 defense upgrades. Will the raid gear defense upgrades yield more light than crucible?

Thanks for the help, guys.
huhhh, I thought that raid gear had higher base light. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. Fully upgraded it should yield 30 light though, and the Crucible ones will be stuck at 27 fully upgraded.

Angry Guy

I would actually be totally fine with getting those rumored exotic materials in the next raid and being able to apply those to not only your exotics but your existing legendaries to get them up to 32.

what I think would be pretty cool is having multiple sets of raid gear that all can reach 32, each with bonuses against a certain faction, switching between them as the enemies you face demand

Like how the current set of raid gear can drop orbs from killing Vex, right? To be able to max those out, use those in vex missions, then switch to the new raid gear whenever you're fighting the hive would be great. That way they can incentivize people to check out the new content and keep current raid weapons and armor relevant at the same time.

Having said that, the way that the new raid weapons all have the same element damage as their VoG equivalents, combined with their comments about the mythoclast being something you can "rely on in the next raid" makes me doubtful.

They'll never do it :(

Chitown B

All the bounties? I feel you should be making faster progress if you're turning in every bounty. I don't do them all, some are too annoying. I do about 3-4 Vanguard and 3-4 Crucible a day and leveling just seems to happen.

Getting planetary materials is a far more serious grind IMO. I really wish Bungie would give me a way to buy them. Glimmer, Motes of Light, Strange Coins, Crucible Marks, Vanguard Marks fucking anything. I'd pay real cash for them as DLC. This is a shooter not FarmVille.

yeah, and Nightfall helps because it gives you a 1.5 multiplier. It takes about 4-5 5000+ bounties to complete one circle on an Exotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom