• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's so much 'fear' as it is 'don't know the controls for it'. I've picked it up a couple times only and never could get a clear response of what the controls are for it. Everyone is shouting different things, L1, R1, hold both for this, do this for that, etc.

So if I could get a clear answer on what the real controls are then I'd be fine I guess.

The only control I know for it is triangle. lol.

Hold L1 to cleanse.

R1 is melee.

R2/ + Jump is ground pound

L1 + R1 is super (giant orb of energy)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Despite the nerf, and not being upgraded yet, I'm enjoying the vex in crucible. It's pretty deadly if you can land headshots.

I don't know if it's so much 'fear' as it is 'don't know the controls for it'. I've picked it up a couple times only and never could get a clear response of what the controls are for it. Everyone is shouting different things, L1, R1, hold both for this, do this for that, etc.

So if I could get a clear answer on what the real controls are then I'd be fine I guess.

The only control I know for it is triangle. lol.

People need to tell you:

grenade = cleanse (takes time to warm up, and don't move while trying to use it)
super = big energy shot
melee = relic melee
fire = hulk smash

Yelling buttons is confusing if someone is using a different button layout than default.

Hylebos posted this on Bungie.net:
If Atheon marked three people on your team for teleportation twenty seconds prior to the actual teleportation event (Be it through an on-screen buff or a tickertape "Atheon has selected Player X for teleportation" message in the lower left)
Issues with this:
1. Person leaves the Fireteam
2. Person dies
3. Person dies and then self-revives(Dying gets rid of all debuffs AFAIK)

realcZk

Despite the nerf, and not being upgraded yet, I'm enjoying the vex in crucible. It's pretty deadly if you can land headshots.

Yeah its not so bad with headshots since its a 1.50x multiplier now which puts it on par with the SUROS, but for body shots its a lot worse.

Yaari

Was killing Nexus and made a stupid mistake, so the Minotaur in my back slapped me to death.

Luckily it is not too difficult to get to him, but still slightly annoyed.

That said my Purifier VII wrecks that Minotaur, love that weapon.

Namikaze1

Time of Vengeance doesn't pop up even when all oracles have been killed.
people getting randomly disconnected

Raid is still broken as fuck.

So, dumb question.

What's a Nightfall? Is that the same as the weekly heroic strike?

Oh heaven preserve you
Nightfall is essentially Heroic on steroids except that the steroids aren't actually steroids but giant evil mega boosters manufactured on the Dark Side of the Moon, and then pissed on by Satan, and then pissed on again by the ghost of Hitler
Seriously, eepers

Hylebos posted this on Bungie.net: http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/75520847/0/0/1

"Out of curiosity (I haven't played the Raid yet since the patch), but to what degree do players have forewarning that they are about to be teleported with this newest update?

Speaking from experience from when the Timestream "glitched" and teammates who weren't on the back wall ended up being teleported out of the blue, it can be very disruptive to the flow of the fight when you have about three seconds to figure out who got teleported, who should do what role, and execute that plan accordingly before it becomes too late to handle the threats inside of the Portal in a timely fashion. The Raid is supposed to promote team communication, but I'm not certain it's supposed to promote improvisational communication of the frantic and surprised sort.

If you want to teleport players randomly so that the fight is more difficult as everyone needs to be able to do every role, that's well and good. However, I would much appreciate it if there was any way that you could give players forewarning that they have been marked to be teleported well in advance of the actual teleport event.

If Atheon marked three people on your team for teleportation twenty seconds prior to the actual teleportation event (Be it through an on-screen buff or a tickertape "Atheon has selected Player X for teleportation" message in the lower left), it would give us the time we need to coordinate and plan so that as soon as we go through the portal we can execute the plan as a team rather than individuals taking charge and trying to improvise a plan to victory.

There's naturally a few problems with that implementation that would be tricky to program, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with extra conveyance in otherwise impossible to predict situations like this. Thank you for collecting community feedback on this change, I look forward to more discussions like this in the future."

That's brilliant. The whole thing feels really knee-jerk to me. What's the simplest way we can make the fight harder and slow people from beating Atheon? Random teleports. But no thought went into integrating that well to allow for strategy.

And even then, "random" is such a crappy way to make things challenging.

Patroclos

Banned
Oh heaven preserve you
Nightfall is essentially Heroic on steroids except that the steroids aren't actually steroids but giant evil mega boosters manufactured on the Dark Side of the Moon, and then pissed on by Satan, and then pissed on again by the ghost of Hitler

Ohh, and you go directly to orbit if you wipe. In case all of the above wasn't enough.

Homeboyd

So, dumb question.

What's a Nightfall? Is that the same as the weekly heroic strike?
Yep just with a lot more modifiers and a guaranteed elemental damage added. Better rewards too... usually. Heroic is only for coins, 3 difficulty settings based on levels and 2 modifiers, with checkpoints. Nightfall send you to orbit if your team wipes.

Increase in number of bounties we can hold incoming?

You mean, I should be able to hold at least as many bounties as you offer for a single mode of play (PvE or PvP)?

It's genius.

And I wonder if exotic bounties are going to have their own slots now? My titan now has three that I am working on. They take so fucking long, and right now I can only grab two other bounties at a time. Pain in my ass.

Tawpgun

Anyone test Atheon yet? Is it 3 random people and those are always teleported for the Atheon phase or is it 3 random people every teleport?

gmncez.gif

Oh, hey guys.

5yMrR.gif

It only took 18 clears.

I'm actually stunned I got this before you did. It's a great weapon, don't mind the negativity. I maxed it and the only downside in my opinion is that you'll be always running out of ammo. But it's a blast. Can't wait to see it after the buff.

Hylebos posted this on Bungie.net: http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/75520847/0/0/1

"Out of curiosity (I haven't played the Raid yet since the patch), but to what degree do players have forewarning that they are about to be teleported with this newest update?

Speaking from experience from when the Timestream "glitched" and teammates who weren't on the back wall ended up being teleported out of the blue, it can be very disruptive to the flow of the fight when you have about three seconds to figure out who got teleported, who should do what role, and execute that plan accordingly before it becomes too late to handle the threats inside of the Portal in a timely fashion. The Raid is supposed to promote team communication, but I'm not certain it's supposed to promote improvisational communication of the frantic and surprised sort.

If you want to teleport players randomly so that the fight is more difficult as everyone needs to be able to do every role, that's well and good. However, I would much appreciate it if there was any way that you could give players forewarning that they have been marked to be teleported well in advance of the actual teleport event.

If Atheon marked three people on your team for teleportation twenty seconds prior to the actual teleportation event (Be it through an on-screen buff or a tickertape "Atheon has selected Player X for teleportation" message in the lower left), it would give us the time we need to coordinate and plan so that as soon as we go through the portal we can execute the plan as a team rather than individuals taking charge and trying to improvise a plan to victory.

There's naturally a few problems with that implementation that would be tricky to program, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with extra conveyance in otherwise impossible to predict situations like this. Thank you for collecting community feedback on this change, I look forward to more discussions like this in the future."

Was going to post this comment. I'd feel better about random teleporting if something like this was implemented.

I think this is an interesting post by deej. http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/75512563/0/0

TL;DR version

Deej: So I've got a lot of people not happy about the random teleportation
Devs: Soooooo what?

I'm torn here. Normally I'm the opinion that devs typically know best. I always agreed with Blizzard when they would make whatever changes they needed to during the Vanilla and BC of WoW. This just doesn't seem quite right though.

Deej offering the compromise of the Hard mode made perfect sense to me, in fact, I actually got a small moment of happiness thinking I just got a peek at the answer. Then they shut that down too.

The Raid team seems to be more and more stuck on themselves. I'm not going to make a dumb casual threat about trading my game in or anything like that. I'm just going to sit and wait, and keep playing. I just really really hope they are learning from this, and that some of this information is actually being absorbed and not just heard.

Can you repost? Blocked at work.

From DeeJ on the b.net forums:

So, the update just went live. Atheon can no longer be pushed off his platform. He'll also select people at random to be thrown across time. He's a real bastard, eh?

I talked a lot to the developers about your opinions on the matter. You don't want to be selected at random. You want to choose who gets to fetch the Relic under fire from those nasty Oracles. I spoke on your behalf. Your voice was heard. We discussed your concerns.

I even said "Why not just change Hard Mode and leave Easy Mode alone?"

I was told "The Raid is never supposed to be easy."

At that point, I recalled all the times I stood and delivered the line "...the most challenging encounter we've ever created." It was hard to disagree. As a veteran of Cairo Station on Legendary in Halo, I had to admit that I had been carried through the Raid like luggage assigned to my clan. I did my own carrying later, but carrying had been done.

This is an activity that was designed to be undertaken by a hardcore team that is ready and willing to adapt and improvise to changing battle conditions. Like the moment when the Templar shields random players, the Final Boss was supposed to be extremely dangerous. While we've been working on some of the other things for which you've been asking (i.e. better exotics, voice chat in matchmaking, more bounties), the designers who made the Raid have plugged the holes that you showed them.

If you got in on the ground floor of this thing, we thank you. If you understand the mechanics for how to beat Atheon, it's still a thing you can teach your friends. If you're all up to the challenge, the Raid is waiting for you.

Let's talk about it. Please sound off in this thread, and know that I'll be reading.

Hoodbury

Hold L1 to cleanse.

R1 is melee.

R2/ + Jump is ground pound

L1 + R1 is super (giant orb of energy)

People need to tell you:

grenade = cleanse (takes time to warm up, and don't move while trying to use it)
super = big energy shot
melee = relic melee
fire = hulk smash

Yelling buttons is confusing if someone is using a different button layout than default.
Cool thanks.

Is the "super" big energy shot only used for the Templar?
When you all go to the middle platform just stand and face Atheon right? You don't have to click anything for the shield to protect everyone?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Got a legendary engram from the daily. What was the result you ask? Duplicate hand cannon.

This game...I can't.

Bizazedo

Was going to post this comment. I'd feel better about random teleporting if something like this was implemented.

20 seconds is a bit much, but yeah, 3-5 seconds. That being said, the fight's not built for it. What I mean by that is there is still potential for people to die before the port, meaning someone else would be selected. If they were going to / able to do that, they'd need a brief lull / period of time where dying was unlikely at best.

By the way, here's a list of all the actual bugs in the Atheon fight:

Problems with the fight in order of appearance:
  1. Wrong number of people teleported.
  2. Killed by architects upon teleport.
  3. [Hard] Detained when teleported.
  4. [Hard] Fall through detain. Seriously... it is supposed to keep you from moving. Why should you be able to fall through it?
  5. [Hard] Detain is the same size as titan shield. If you bubble, then get detained, you can't shoot detain from the inside or outside.
  6. Minotaur heals to full.
  7. Succumb to oracles when they all died.
  8. Vengeance does not pop on the last oracle.
  9. Gate doesn't teleport.
  10. Splash damage goes through cleanse shield.
  11. Projectiles go through cleanse shield if the relic bearer is nudged.
  12. Atheon walks out of LoS and stays there, wasting a whole phase.
  13. Atheon's critbox is ambiguous.

patchday

Or people could just pick up the relic and kill the bad guys. It's really not that hard to use the relic... why do people fear it so much.

because no one wants to wipe due to the new fresh recruit not knowing what to do when the boss is almost dead. A bad relic holder can ruin everything over & over

Cool thanks.

Is the "super" big energy shot only used for the Templar?
When you all go to the middle platform just stand and face Atheon right? You don't have to click anything for the shield to protect everyone?

You can use it against Atheon as well, I believe, but obviously not if you're using the middle platform strategy. You just have to hold cleanse down the whole time. Don't move though or people inside can get splash damage and die.

That's brilliant. The whole thing feels really knee-jerk to me. What's the simplest way we can make the fight harder and slow people from beating Atheon? Random teleports. But no thought went into integrating that well to allow for strategy.

And even then, "random" is such a crappy way to make things challenging.

Ehh, as theRealcZk said earlier, the random teleport thing brings about an air of panic which I think is kind of cool. Fuck planning, let's just do this. It's the final boss (of the entire game as it currently stands) so I think there should be that "oh shit" reaction in order to beat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom