• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm salty. In part because my best friend just texted me to say he's done with raiding thanks to the patch. It was hard enough getting enough time to do the raid with him as is. He's not going to bother when you add randomization on top of all of that.

LiK

In b4 3 defenders or Oracle shooters are teleported.

Already designated our roles with a group I played with this morning. We learn as we go. Raid isn't hard anymore. The Templar waves are just time consuming. We only quit cuz of the disconnects right now.

I think getting Flawless after patch would be pretty sweet.

Fixed1979

From DeeJ on the b.net forums:

Thanks.

I'm willing to give this a week or so before passing judgment on the random selection. I never really had a problem with the idea, and a team of experienced raiders should be able to work through it relatively easily. PUGs with randoms are definitely going to have a rough time though.

Bizazedo

Deej offering the compromise of the Hard mode made perfect sense to me, in fact, I actually got a small moment of happiness thinking I just got a peek at the answer. Then they shut that down too.

The Raid team seems to be more and more stuck on themselves. I'm not going to make a dumb casual threat about trading my game in or anything like that. I'm just going to sit and wait, and keep playing. I just really really hope they are learning from this, and that some of this information is actually being absorbed and not just heard.

I'm of two minds of it. One, as a PR guy? He shouldn't have said that. It makes the dev team look really bad, in my opinion, especially as Normal vs Hard mode raids all over the place are different mainly by mechanics missing in Normal, but present in Hard.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it really, to me, makes Bungie look bad.

That being said, him suggesting it and voicing it and talking to us about it, makes me feel better about DeeJ himself. It actually makes me feel like he's frustrated with how things going and doesn't necessarily 100% agree with the decision. Yes, I know he posted he did and it makes sense.....but still.
DeeJ said:
Like the moment when the Templar shields random players,

I'm willing to bet a ton of players have no idea he does this.

20 seconds is a bit much, but yeah, 3-5 seconds. That being said, the fight's not built for it. What I mean by that is there is still potential for people to die before the port, meaning someone else would be selected. If they were going to / able to do that, they'd need a brief lull / period of time where dying was unlikely at best.

I agree 20 seconds is too long, but I don't think dying should matter. If they do, then someone else gets ported without warning and I think that's ok. That can be your chaos factor.

I'm salty. In part because my best friend just texted me to say he's done with raiding thanks to the patch. It was hard enough getting enough time to do the raid with him as is. He's not going to bother when you add randomization on top of all of that.

Tell him to man the fuck up and learn all phases of the boss fight. Problem solved.

Listen, I don't know all the phases yet either. I have used the relic maybe 5 times without any real success. So now what am I going to do? I'm going to learn how to use it so I'm not deadweight and/or a liability when we get to Atheon.

NeOak

Most of my friends barely raid and the patch put them off from trying Atheon again.

I'll have to find a group for full clears.

I guess a static group finder thread is in order?

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US. DOZENS.

So 24 total?

Ourobolus

Banned
That's brilliant. The whole thing feels really knee-jerk to me. What's the simplest way we can make the fight harder and slow people from beating Atheon? Random teleports. But no thought went into integrating that well to allow for strategy.

And even then, "random" is such a crappy way to make things challenging.

See, I don't find this to be that terrible of an update. Randomness IS part of the challenge, it's not some throwaway word like when it's used to talk about getting a drop at the end of the raid.

The strategy remains the same - the only difference is that all players need to be ready to take on a role at a moment's notice.

In a week or two no one will be bitching about this, because it's just a hurdle. Totally manageable.

I'll admit that it sucks for those that want to be carried through the raid, but still...that's just a wrench you throw in your own strategy.
I dont mind having random teleportation, it will bring more caos into the mix. However I do feel they should have focused a lot more on fixing the bugs in the raid, as it is now, it´s pure luck to be able to complete it without having to wipe.

This however, is a legit complaint.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Come on people, let's get a grip. Random teleporting isn't going to make the game impossible.

Cool thanks.

Is the "super" big energy shot only used for the Templar?
When you all go to the middle platform just stand and face Atheon right? You don't have to click anything for the shield to protect everyone?

Yep, the big energy shot. Normally it has a cool down similar to your normal super. Same with the cleanse/shield state.

When facing Atheon, the cleanse/shield and the Super have accelerated cool downs to the point that you can use them unlimited until you get teleported back to the portals. SO use the cleanse sparingly until you are out of the portal, then just hold it down for a shield while facing Atheon.

I dont mind having random teleportation, it will bring more caos into the mix. However I do feel they should have focused a lot more on fixing the bugs in the raid, as it is now, it´s pure luck to be able to complete it without having to wipe.

LiK

Yep, glitches are the biggest problem with the Raid. Fix relics and portals. Hopefully they aren't an issue tonight for my crew.

dengatron

Sounds like the raid dev team is out of touch with how raid cycles and raid mechanics usually work. Fixing exploits is okay but changing major mechanics 7 weeks into your raid cycle is not how raid design works. Creating arbitrary frustration because "the raid is always supposed to be hard" is both nonsensical and delusional. A raid team with 7 weeks experience should be fucking beasts that can clear the raid in 1 or 2 attempts per encounter. Adding randomness to an encounter is just frustrating and adds pseudo difficulty while adding no depth. It doesn't enrich our raid experience or our sense of teamwork to port 3 randoms when we already had our assigned jobs. Do this week 1 or 2. Not week 7. Poor decision and even worse execution. For a company that wants to be mmo-like devs, they need to start looking into how Ghostcrawler delivered his message to the community and how frequently we're let in on these decisions.

Bizazedo

It should be a hard mode only mechanic, but yeah, anyone quitting raiding due to it should be derided / laughed at. Assuming it's due to the mechanic and not the principle of the thing, which, c'mon, we know the truth.

That being said, I know some real life buds who are incompetent and this makes me glad I showed them hard mode before this patch :).

NeOak

Sounds like the raid dev team is out of touch with how raid cycles and raid mechanics usually work. Fixing exploits is okay but changing major mechanics 7 weeks into your raid cycle is not how raid design works. Creating arbitrary frustration because "the raid is always supposed to be hard" is both nonsensical and delusional. A raid team with 7 weeks experience should be fucking beasts that can clear the raid in 1 or 2 attempts per encounter. Adding randomness to an encounter is just frustrating and adds pseudo difficulty while adding no depth. It doesn't enrich our raid experience or our sense of teamwork to port 3 randoms when we already had our assigned jobs. Do this week 1 or 2. Not week 7. Poor decision and even worse execution. For a company that wants to be mmo-like devs, they need to start looking into how Ghostcrawler delivered his message to the community and how frequently we're let in on these decisions.

I think Luke, the designer, is the only one that has stated to having played WoW and raiding. But I don't know how long ago was that.

The rest? No clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are CoD only bros.

I mean, shit, Squeenix is killing it with FFXIV:ARR, and Yoshi P is like the best producer ever.

spyder_ur

I feel so left behind in this game when reading this thread. Everyone has all of these advanced strategies and stuff. I just got to level 28 and really want to try to raid, but all of this stuff about people messing up during it has me worried. Plus, I can't seem to find many people still on PS3 to try it with.

Just kinda frustrating when I feel like I have been playing it a lot since launch.

While I'm a bit salty, the fix actually will probably force me to learn how to use the relic, or what to do when you get teleported. Other than killing oracles I really don't know what to do once you get teleported. I follow orders well though.

Come on people, let's get a grip. Random teleporting isn't going to make the game impossible.

No, it doesn't. And I'm still going to Raid. I love it.

I had two friends try the raid this week. They both made it to Atheon and both spent 2 hours on him. They didn't beat him. They didn't beat a predictable Atheon and were so frustrated that they gave up. My friend then read it'll be random next time and just said, screw it.

This also makes it harder for pick up groups. I don't have "a hardcore team" that I raid with every week. I have DestinyLFG.net. And you get people there who get frustrated super-quick and will bail after a wipe. Before, people could find roles and it minimized that. Not portal-ling isn't the same as being carried. Minotaurs will mess you up, especially on Hard.

I dunno. You're probably right that in a week, it'll be solved again. I'm just sad about my friend giving up.

Namikaze1

They fixed the cheese but in the process, they broke the raid a bit more. Wonder what they'll break when they fix the Templar cheese.

I feel so left behind in this game when reading this thread. Everyone has all of these advanced strategies and stuff. I just got to level 28 and really want to try to raid, but all of this stuff about people messing up during it has me worried. Plus, I can't seem to find many people still on PS3 to try it with.

Just kinda frustrating when I feel like I have been playing it a lot since launch.
Remember, you can play with people on PS4, not linked to console, just linked to network
Also for the raid, just making sure everything dies and you should be alright

blackjaw

Until bungie realizes the root cause (loot drops) nothing will change.

People are wiling to shoot at a cave for hours, cheese the final raid boss, etc all becuase we can't get the loot we need to progress.

Even wow figured it out eventually and gave us a loot system that works (we choose what reward we get).

Figure it out soon deej and co or lose your player base to halo,cod,GTA,etc.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
While I'm a bit salty, the fix actually will probably force me to learn how to use the relic, or what to do when you get teleported. Other than killing oracles I really don't know what to do once you get teleported. I follow orders well though.

It's really not hard. There's no reason to be worried about using the relic.

Reule

Can you still knock the Templar off? That's always fun.

By the way, here's a list of all the actual bugs in the Atheon fight:
Yup. I'm sure losing sound effects anytime starting at the defense of the confluxes still hasn't been fixed either. Which is extremely irritating on Hard mode since it'd be helpful to know where Vex are coming from before I'm shot. Perhaps that's just a modifier to make the raid harder.

Try and get a team together with others that are new to raiding. if they are NOT ok with you dying, then they got issues. Wish I could help you out, but I am on PS4.

this is a good website to find people to raid with.
http://www.destinylfg.com/

HaleStorm

Just get in there. I have succesfully drug a 25 through the whole thing as a 29. Just find a team and start playing. if you fail for a few hours the first time, you will at least know the mechanics and understand what you need to be upgrading weapon wise to be more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom