• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex HR: The Missing Link |OT| $15

Kinyou

Oh god I want this so bad but 15$?....

I could buy Space channel 5 for that and still would have something left for some candy.

I kind of wish I didn't play DE:HR as pure pacifist non-lethal in my playthrough. I just finished it this weekend after playing it every weekend for more than a month. Gameplay was great, but I literally used stealth takedowns for 99 percent of the game.

My biggest problem besides the price of the DLC is that the content happens mid-game story-wise. TBQH, aside from a few high points like the opening, Picus section and near end game, I didn't find the story that compelling. I've already finished it, so it better be a big deal story-wise for me to spend $15.

Jesus. I wish publishers would price DLC to move. Anything above 4.99 and its no longer an impulse, because i could buy an older game i have yet to play for 10-20 bucks most likely. Especially PC players.

Card Boy

Banned
Max said:
Hope GMG gets this so I can get it for $5

They are. From the GMG thread.

spindoctor said:
GMG just tweeted to me that the DXHR Missing Link DLC will be available in a day or so. Useful for folks who have store credit there so that they can get it for less than the absurd price of 15$.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have had a stockpile of Steam wallet funds sitting around for months, so I bit the bullet. Download is finished so I'm going to play now.

Seeya all on the other side.

EatChildren said:
I have had a stockpile of Steam wallet funds sitting around for months, so I bit the bullet. Download is finished so I'm going to play now.

I'd love to hear length impressions when you're done. I might bite the bullet if it really is the 5-6 hours of content like they say it is. Also the 2 gb download size is promising.

Kinyou

The biggest problem I have with DLCs (or downloadable games) is that there is no natural price reduction. A game like Splosion Man is still the same price as it was on day 1 even though it was released 2 years ago. Same goes for the Prince of Persia Epilogue dlc.

Steam sales may compensate for that but if you're playing on console you're screwed with Sony's and MS's ridiculous "sales"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EatChildren said:

Damn, so it is up in Australia. Guess I have to wait for Thursday.

a bit on the expensive side... but i've heard that there is quite a bit of content. probably wait until after arkham city is finished anyways.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm really digging the ocean/storm effect. Pretty simple but works a treat.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
SerArthurDayne said:
15 dollars this close to release? That immediately screams content held back or hugely overpriced to me.
I guess they probably have the- game was finished, we put a team on DLC months before the game was released defense to rely on.

If you honestly think you can develop and release a multi-hour piece of game content using mostly original assets in between late August and now, you haven't been exposed to the realities of modern game development. They absolutely had this DLC in development well before the release of the game.

And, honestly, DLC needs to be put out close to release. That's part of the problem GAF never seems to understand - if you wait six months or a year to release DLC, no one's playing your game anymore. Since the number of people who buy your DLC is going to be a subset of people currently playing, you need to strike while the metal's hot. They don't release it soon after the main game to scam people or deliver a game piecemeal, they do it because if they wait much longer everyone will have turned in their copies for $5 credit at GameStop and releasing the DLC becomes pointless.

EatChildren

I'm about two and a half hours playtime down and so far, so good. Very much Deus Ex: Human Revolution by the books, but it seems to make pretty good use of multiple paths and application of different tactics. I can't see it lasting close to five hours, but we'll see.

I'm going to give it a break for the rest of tonight and finish it tomorrow.

Card Boy

Banned
EatChildren said:
I'm about two and a half hours playtime down and so far, so good. Very much Deus Ex: Human Revolution by the books, but it seems to make pretty good use of multiple paths and application of different tactics. I can't see it lasting close to five hours, but we'll see.

Does the DLC launch as a seperate game from the Steam list or is it part of the regular Deus Ex HR game through the main menu?

Reason i ask is because it has a whole new achievements page as if its a seperate game.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/201280/achievements
Has Spoilers in case you dont want to look

Salsa

EatChildren said:

nice!

c'mon gmggg

Omiee

bought it, will be playing later.

was not planning on getting it, but some of the previews convinced me

mAcOdIn

hamchan said:
Why is Steam updating Deus Ex when I haven't bought this yet and don't plan to for a long time?
I dunno, maybe they brought some of the engine improvements from the DLC work into the main game? As for whether or not you planning to play the game any time soon, I thought that was one of the "cool" things about Steam, keeping your game updated for you so that when you do get back to it it's fully patched, was that wrong?

mxgt

Banned
Downloading now, can't wait for a price drop because I love the game too much. I see nothing wrong with £9 for several more hours of Deus Ex.

hamchan

mAcOdIn said:
I dunno, maybe they brought some of the engine improvements from the DLC work into the main game? As for whether or not you planning to play the game any time soon, I thought that was one of the "cool" things about Steam, keeping your game updated for you so that when you do get back to it it's fully patched, was that wrong?
Its a problem because Steam doesn't have a "turn off all autoupdating" button or a scheduler. Bad for people with limited bandwidth like me.

mAcOdIn

hamchan said:
Its a problem because Steam doesn't have a "turn off all autoupdating" button or a scheduler. Bad for people with limited bandwidth like me.
Damnit, I actually agree with you, not just because of bandwidth but for instances where for some reason or another, like compatibility with a mod or something similar, you wanted to stay at the version you wanted.

I just unfairly assumed everyone who mentions Steam these days is a part of the SteamDefenseForce and loves everything they do, my apologies.

New PC Patch notes:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122889

A fix for some players that get stuck on an infinity loading screen in Detroit.
Fixes for some issues that caused crashes for players using specific firewall or proxy software.
Additional improvements to counter stuttering in the game.
Support for Eyefinity in combination with 3D when using interleaved stereoscopic monitors.
Support for additional brands of stereoscopic interleaved monitors when using AMD graphics hardware.
Support for Nvidia 3DVision.
Support for Nvidia Surround, also in combination with 3DVision.
Improved control over the stereo-3D display in the game.
- The allowed range for the stereo 3D Strength setting has been increased.
- A Stereo 3D Plane setting was added to provide additional control over the 3D effect.
Various performance improvements.
Fix for ‘moire’ issues seen on billboards in DX11 mode.
Some changes to try to counter specific driver issues causing crashes in DX11 mode.

Carlisle

I feel kinda silly complaining about the price when considering how cheap I got the full game, adding $15 still doesn't price the total package above that of a fully-priced new release. But I know it'll come down soonish.

Bah, this would be perfect for me to kill time until U3, which I would then use to kill time until ACPC, and ACPC until Zelda. It's the perfect long piece to complete my holiday gaming tetris.

spindoctor said:
It's available on GMG now but there's no discount from the 15$ price.
That's how they getcha
/dad

Top Bottom