• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex HR: The Missing Link |OT| $15

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Feels good:
feelsgood04nu.jpg

Did my first run on normal and did try for Factory Zero, but messed up because of testing things out. Did a second run in a little over two hours on Hard, never even touched a gun. Going for Factory Zero was sublime at that difficulty. In total I spent 8.6 hours with it was worth every penny of the 15$.

In case anyone is wondering, all of the following achievements cannot be completed during a Factory Zero run:
-Never Forget
-All of the Above
-That Old Adage

You are able to do all of the sidequests though.

Stallion Free said:
Feels good:
feelsgood04nu.jpg

Did my first run on normal and did try for Factory Zero, but messed up because of testing things out. Did a second run in a little over two hours on Hard, never even touched a gun. Going for Factory Zero was sublime at that difficulty. In total I spent 8.6 hours with it was worth every penny of the 15$.

In case anyone is wondering, all of the following achievements cannot be completed during a Factory Zero run:
-Never Forget
-All of the Above
-That Old Adage

Nice. Did you end up just punching most of the people in the game, or did you try to avoid as many as possible? Sounds like a really fun runthrough.

Looks like I'll end up doing at least two more runthroughs in the future...one to finish up the achievements that require certain AUGs, and one to get the Factory Zero achievement.

Card Boy

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Feels good:
http://www.abload.de/img/feelsgood04nu.jpg[/im]

-Never Forget
-All of the Above
-That Old Adage

You are able to do all of the sidequests though.[/QUOTE]

Does the Stun-Gun count as a weapon? Or is that fine?

neoism

played for 3hours two days ago, but my account got fucked up. But, it is fixed now. I really love the DLC looks great.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SenseiJinx said:
Nice. Did you end up just punching most of the people in the game, or did you try to avoid as many as possible? Sounds like a really fun runthrough.
My first attempt when I screwed it up I was punching a lot, but when I went through on Hard I did a lot more sneaking (which when you know the areas well can be a lot faster).

Doing a Factory Zero runthrough right now, and it's pretty great how many good opportunities they've put in here for stealthy approaches. I've only had to use my takedowns on about two people so far (and probably could have avoided doing it on them anyway). It's easier then the regular approach, I think. (Meaning, not only am I playing stealthily, but trying to avoid even using takedowns on people.) Kind of stuck at that room full of EMP mines now, though.

And you can use things like candy bars and viruses on a Factory Zero challenge, right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SenseiJinx said:
Doing a Factory Zero runthrough right now, and it's pretty great how many good opportunities they've put in here for stealthy approaches. I've only had to use my takedowns on about two people so far (and probably could have avoided doing it on them anyway). It's easier then the regular approach, I think. (Meaning, not only am I playing stealthily, but trying to avoid even using takedowns on people.) Kind of stuck at that room full of EMP mines now, though.

And you can use things like candy bars and viruses on a Factory Zero challenge, right?
Yeah candy bars are fine.

Ladyboy101 said:
to get Factor Zero, You can not upgrade at all (not even with points granted through experience), do not use guns and explosives. you can pick up proxis kit, ammo and weapons, just dont use em. if you can't go through a door, just take down enemies nearby and loot their body for code (pocket secretary).
leathal takedowns and alarts will not affect this trophy.

it sounds hard, but actually fairly easy. I just kill everyone I could Kill with takedown and go straight for the objective. it's actually a lot faster than playthrough normally.

mxgt

Banned
Finished it, took me 6 hours according to Steam and loved every second of it. Looking forward to doing a second run in the future and getting the achievements I missed.

Dakota47

Finished it. While I enjoyed the first two or three hours I found the rest of this DLC lacking. There are no new weapons at all, except for one or two exceptions that aren't really useful. No new augs either. There was way too much backtracking during the second half. I hope Eidos are a bit more inspired when they make more DLC for the game.

Dakota47 said:
Finished it. While I enjoyed the first two or three hours I found the rest of this DLC lacking. There are no new weapons at all, except for one or two exceptions that aren't really useful. No new augs either. There was way too much backtracking during the second half. I hope Eidos are a bit more inspired when they make more DLC for the game.
because it takes place within the main story line, you can't have things aren't in the main game.

Dakota47

Ladyboy101 said:
because it takes place within the main story line, you can't have things aren't in the main game.

Why not? You could easily work around that, just like how you don't have any augs when you start the DLC.

IoCaster

I had a good bit of fun with this DLC. It's got some nice level design and lots of stealthy routes. I actually tried to go non-lethal, but once I reached the main deck I couldn't resist tossing a bunch of those BT mooks overboard. Maybe the cold water woke them up and they swam to safety. *shrug*

I really wish that there had been some way to save
Netanya Keitner. After she went down I totally gave up on the non-lethal shit and proceeded to clean house. Not to mention the whole kidnap innocent civilians and going all Mengele on them in their little shop of horrors.
Wiping those d-bags out didn't phase me a bit. I sure would like to get another game with Jensen, but they kind of put themselves in a corner with one of the endings in the main game. Oh well, hopefully they've got some more DLC in the pipeline.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BackwardsSuggestions said:
How do you
Save the prisoners and the witness?
In the three floor detention center area look for a tall box on the bottom floor blocking a vent near some of the cells. You have to get that out of the way via explosives or strength and then in the vent you can get into a room with the gas dispersal machine. Shoot the green tank and it will stop. As far as I can tell you need the jump aug to reach the room through the vents.

commissar

neoism said:
how to you get to loading bay 3... is it a miss-able area?
Door unlocks via story progression

Also it is possible to do Never Forget on a Factory Zero run. Just need to use some nearby boxes, and the gantry reset in the control room.

neoism

Was awesome... 12 hours hardest difficulty, and only kill you know who... lol Will definitely play it again down the road... now to go finish HR for a second time, and 80+ hours for this game... loved every minute. If the team is making Thief 4 I will buy it now for sure.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
-Never Forget
-All of the Above
-That Old Adage

cant you just quicksave > do those when the situation presents itself > get achiev > load old-save and continue with the Factory Zero run?

commissar

SalsaShark said:
cant you just quicksave > do those when the situation presents itself > get achiev > load old-save and continue with the Factory Zero run?
No. I upgraded some augs and killed some peeps after I stuffed something up. Reloaded the save and once I finished the game I didn't get the Factory Zero achieve.

So finish the game for Factory Zero, but leave a save just before you enter the
3 layered prison complex
And then you can get the All of the Above achievement.
Also have a save game at the END before you
talk to the man
and you can get the Old Adage achieve.

Never Forget you can get without augs, so just do that during normal play :)

Salsa

kt58E.png

hardest difficulty, 6 hours according to Steam.

Really enjoyed it, will probably go back to see alternative stuff while clearing out the other cheevos, why not.

Should have been 10 bucks really, but im not gonna recommend against it, its pretty great.

Also, on the credits:

5fWgQ.jpg

DLC extravaganza?

Replicant

Stallion Free said:
-Never Forget
-All of the Above
-That Old Adage

Never Forget is actually doable during Factory Zero run. No, you don't even need an augmentation. What you need to do is
get 2 crates from the storage area where you put new battery on a stasis pod. Throw them up into the lifts then carefully carry one at a time into the other side. Then carry each crate to the area where your pod is. With the 2 crates, create a stack that provides a bit of a gap so you can step in quickly on one to reach the 2nd before you jump into the big crate. Yes, it's doable.

Korigama

neoism said:
Was awesome... 12 hours hardest difficulty, and only kill you know who... lol Will definitely play it again down the road... now to go finish HR for a second time, and 80+ hours for this game... loved every minute. If the team is making Thief 4 I will buy it now for sure.
The Thief 4 team and the DX:HR team are completely different people within Eidos Montreal.
SalsaShark said:
Also, on the credits:

5fWgQ.jpg

DLC extravaganza?
If it's as well made as this one was, I won't complain.

Card Boy

Banned
Just clocked it, 6.5 hours according to my Steam time. I played the whole DLC Stealthed without raising an alarm and without killing anyone. Missed the Never Forget and for obviously reasons Factory Zero achievements.

DLC of the generation in my opinion, better than Wipeout Fury/Episodes From Liberty City/Shivering Isles. If i was to describe it to anyone sitting on the fence its a cross between the Chronicles of Riddick games and Metal Gear Solid 2. It's up there with the best parts of Human Revolution. Also has a couple character cameos from Deus Ex 1
(Bob Page, Morgan Everett and Gary Savage)

10 out of 10.

Buy it!

SalsaShark said:
DLC extravaganza?

Exactly what i thought when i saw the credits.

Is there a way to
save Kietner if you give her the Morphine instead of that prisoner that wants to die?

Gez said:
Just clocked it, 6.5 hours according to my Steam time. I played the whole DLC Stealthed without raising an alarm and without killing anyone. Missed the Never Forget and for obviously reasons Factory Zero achievements.

DLC of the generation in my opinion, better than Wipeout Fury/Episodes From Liberty City/Shivering Isles. If i was to describe it to anyone sitting on the fence its a cross between the Chronicles of Riddick games and Metal Gear Solid 2. It's up there with the best parts of Human Revolution. Also has a couple character cameos from Deus Ex 1
(Bob Page, Morgan Everett and Gary Savage)

10 out of 10.

Buy it!

Exactly what i thought when i saw the credits.

Is there a way to
save Kietner if you give her the Morphine instead of that prisoner that wants to die?

Wait, where did
Morgan Everett come into the game? I don't remember a cameo from him at all.

Kind of frustrated, just finished what was supposed to be my Factory Zero run, but I didn't get the achievement for some reason. =( Never fired a weapon, or used a praxis or explosive. (Never did one of those things and reloaded, either.) Not sure why I didn't get it...oh well, it was fun anyway.

Card Boy

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Wait, where did
Morgan Everett come into the game? I don't remember a cameo from him at all.

Yeah sorry i thought i read a refrance to him in a email or something
It's Just Gary Savage and Bob Page then

Cimarron

Now THIS is what I am talking about. Worth every penny. This DLC feels like a good old PC expansion pack from back in the day. I hate when DLC premium priced and under 2hrs long. The campaign felt complete as well. This DLC felt like it expanded the story and world rather than like it was amputated. Cheers! I want MOAR!!!! =)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally finished wrapping up the achievements on the missing link, and damn, what an amazing piece of content. Looks like Jesen will
survive and will be once again the main character for the sequel.
I guess this will be a "triology arc" for Jesen and his journey, going further into setting the Denton project and the setup of MJ12 with Page and Simons. Can't wait. It would make sense in some ways as I did feel that has left things quite open for his character with "Quin" and developing his character further.

thewesker said:
Loved this for the most part but that ending sucked majorly. Lamest boss fight in a long time.

You cant win on the internet!

They listened, and gave you a boss fight you could approach different depending on you skills, and still disappoints!

Stallion Free said:
In the three floor detention center area look for a tall box on the bottom floor blocking a vent near some of the cells. You have to get that out of the way via explosives or strength and then in the vent you can get into a room with the gas dispersal machine. Shoot the green tank and it will stop. As far as I can tell you need the jump aug to reach the room through the vents.

You actually don't need the jump aug, but it takes quite a bit of monkeying around to make it without it.

ctrayne

To all naysayers:

With the Missing Link we created a very discreet, compact narrative for our hero Adam Jensen and when we were approached and asked to do DLC we had to work quite hard to find somewhere we could fit it. And we realised that we had this point in the game where the character is off the grid and this is the perfect opportunity for us to put in almost a missing episode of the story.

http://train2game.wordpress.com/201...human-revolution-writer-james-swallow-part-1/

In other words, it wasn't taken out of the main game and put back in.

Forkball

Finished it in about 4.5 hours. A lot of fun even if it didn't do a whole lot of new things. The last stealth areas were really good and I thought the boss fight was much better than those in the base game (although that's not saying much). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who loved the first game.

Forkball said:
Finished it in about 4.5 hours. A lot of fun even if it didn't do a whole lot of new things. The last stealth areas were really good and I thought the boss fight was much better than those in the base game (although that's not saying much). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who loved the first game.

It wasn't even really a boss, though...he's in such a small room, you really never "fight" him. You just drop in and fill him with lead or (much more likely) just use one of your takedowns on him.

Still, I prefer that much over the bosses in the main game.

Also, it made the Apex Predator achievement really fun to get.
Stealthing through that room and taking out Burke without a single person seeing me? So fun.

JJD

Damn...I forgot my game was from the UK, and bought the DLC on my US account...

I hope The Missing Link is one of the rare downloads that are region free... :-(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing through dxhr now, and thinking of playing this dlc at the point where it fits into the narrative before finishing the actual game.

Recommended? Or should I first beat the full game and then play this dlc?

commissar

I'd finish the main game before playing this DLC.

No point messing with the pacing of the main game playing what is a fairly stand alone experience IMO

SamuraiX- said:
So do we have a consensus?

Is it worth the dead presidents?

Yep. It's an awesome DLC. If you liked the main game you'll like The Missing Link.

It doesn't do anything new really, but it's a great 4-6 hour mission with some interesting insights into HR's plot. I think the consensus in this topic has been pretty much all positive.

Yeah, this has been a nice break from Skyrim / BF3 for me. It reminds me quite how much I loved Human Revolution, and how hard the Give Me Deus Ex difficulty actually is. I'm only up to the point where you meet the voice on the other end of the earpiece, but it's been enjoyable so far.

The main problem is I remember very little of the reveals at the end of the main game, especially with regards to Belltower's true role in everything, so I'm a little out of the loop as I go about skulking in vents, disabling mechs and stabbing mercs.

Finished it. Solid. Too much backtracking in the end with those silly security scanners. A much better designed boss. Intriguing final 'twist'. Want another Deus Ex game soon. Byeeeeeeee.

Finished it. Solid. Too much backtracking in the end with those silly security scanners. A much better designed boss. Intriguing final 'twist'. Want another Deus Ex game soon. Byeeeeeeee.

That kind of sums up my view on it. Granted I think it was good to cut it from the final game, as it would have killed the pacing and would have needed to be shrunk.

That said more DLC like this and I'll happily buy it Eidos! It's nice (and I know Bethesda does this) to get large SP DLC and not just MP (which I know DX lacks) map packs or items.

Top Bottom