• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex HR: The Missing Link |OT| $15

aasoncott

Majukun said:
loved the game,but i hate being screwed by developers who take away content from the main game to release a dlc,so,sorry SE,i'll pass

What? This was never part of the main game. This is hardly on-disc DLC. It doesn't even use the same executable. This was (as far as I know) done entirely after work on the game had wrapped.

ctrayne

aasoncott said:
What? This was never part of the main game. This is hardly on-disc DLC. It doesn't even use the same executable. This was (as far as I know) done entirely after work on the game had wrapped.
This is my understanding too.

The DLC is fantastic so far. I'm a few hours in now. Really good stuff, up there with the better areas of the main game. Lots of secrets.

aasoncott said:

Yeah, definitely. Honestly, I'm glad this wasn't in the main game, because the main game was long enough as it was, and it gave them some time to really flesh out a great experience. I honestly would have felt it kind of shoehorned in if they had tried to squeeze it in the game initially.

The one thing I was disappointed about the things cut from the main game was
the lack of Montreal as a hub. Maybe it'll come in as a DLC sometime in the future? No idea how they would fit that in, though, story wise...

FLEABttn

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
Indeed. But do they not get the concept of lower price/higher volume? It boggles my mind, especially in avenues like software. The goal should always be to have maximum volume, word of mouth spreads and the game sells more. You need that lower price to get people to bite.

Publishers want a the highest volume with the highest returns.

It's $15 for the DLC. If 100,000 people buy it at $15, SE gets $10.50 per sale (using Steam's cut), and $10.50 * 100,000 is $1,050,000.

If they sell it for $10, that represents a 33% reduction in the sell price. If the amount sold increases percentage wise by the different in price, about 133,000 copies are sold. At $7 a piece, SE makes $931,000.

The relation between price and units sold may be different, but just illustrating how on day 1, selling a DLC to maximize volume isn't the best course of action.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
FLEABttn said:
Publishers want a the highest volume with the highest returns.

It's $15 for the DLC. If 100,000 people buy it at $15, SE gets $10.50 per sale (using Steam's cut), and $10.50 * 100,000 is $10,500,000.

If they sell it for $10, that represents a 33% reduction in the sell price. If the amount sold increases percentage wise by the different in price, about 133,000 copies are sold. At $7 a piece, SE makes $9,310,000.

The relation between price and units sold may be different, but just illustrating how on day 1, selling a DLC to maximize volume isn't the best course of action.
You've got one too many zeroes in those figures.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wanted to post something about cheapskate nature of a "hardcore" gamer (bearing in mind that most posts in this thread are dedicated to price tag instead of actual discussion and even OP is geared towards it) but I got it for cheap, so I have no right to post something like that.

But it's all about value. I don't buy DLC usually but even if this one was priced 25$ I would buy it without a second thought just because the game provides this value for me.

Sciel

Finished it in about 5 hours bordering on 6 on a mostly non-lethal stealth playthrough.

Will admit that i rushed a bit towards the end as i was getting a little bit tired of the game. You could probably squeeze maybe an extra hour or so if you get everything done /explore every path/ takedown/ kill every enemy you see.

Its a good piece of DLC thats just a tad overpriced at $15.

Worth the 15 for me, what an amazing piece of DLC so far.

Dat atmosphere. Feels so much like a MGS game, specifically MGS2 that sometimes I get mixed up. Also, pretty sure there are some new music tracks, which really bring it alive. Love that entire soundtrack.

Dakota47

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Dat atmosphere. Feels so much like a MGS game, specifically MGS2 that sometimes I get mixed up. Also, pretty sure there are some new music tracks, which really bring it alive. Love that entire soundtrack.

Right, that's it. Getting it tonight.

pakkit

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

You bastard. I'm going in. DE:HR is my GOTY so far...so might as well.

I am probably not even half way through and already got bored with this. Sure it's a better than average combat level for the game but that's the part of the game that I liked the least.

Dakota47 said:
Right, that's it. Getting it tonight.

You bastard. I'm going in. DE:HR is my GOTY so far...so might as well.

You'll be happy you did. I mentioned this before, but this may be my favorite mission between the main game and this. In the top 3 or so, definitely.

masterkajo

SpartanForce said:
anyone one, please, could give me a save just before this DLC? I bought it but I don't want to play all the game again...
As far as I understood this (haven't bought this myself) it is independent from the main game (apart from requiring the main game to be playable). It even shows up as its own game in your steam library.

EDIT: I know it is part of the main story but what I mean is that you should be able to start it without a save game just before it. It should be playable independently. If you play the story again and you bought the DLC it will simply be integrated from now on.

At least that is how I understood it. Could be that I am mistaken since 15.- is a bit much for me. I will wait until it is cheaper.

masterkajo said:
As far as I understood this (haven't bought this myself) it is independent from the main game (apart from requiring the main game to be playable). It even shows up as its own game in your steam library.
from the dude pg. 2:

My biggest problem besides the price of the DLC is that the content happens mid-game story-wise. TBQH, aside from a few high points like the opening, Picus section and near end game, I didn't find the story that compelling. I've already finished it, so it better be a big deal story-wise for me to spend $15.

edit: nevermind. it has a launcher.

very good dlc btw.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

You sold me. Buying it right now.

Majukun

The Nature Roy said:
Ummm... Did you feel screwed by the content provided in the main game? My 50 hour play-through felt like a pretty complete experience.

Personally, I prefer it when campaign DLC comes soon enough that you haven't completely forgotten the game and you're still wanting more.

i just want that stuff developed with the game,stays in the game..as i said,i've loved deus ex HR,one of the best games of this generation,but this is clearly a part of that game that is solded separately...and i don't want to encourage behaviors like this.

and 5 hours of gameplay for 15 dollars/euros it's not so much of a deal IMHO

aasoncott said:

i find that really difficult to believe...too close to release date...even the free dlc for portal 2,which uses assets from the game has taken more time to being released.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Majukun said:
i find that really difficult to believe...too close to release date...even the free dlc for portal 2,which uses assets from the game has taken more time to being released.
Because that's Valve. This is a different company who actually has deadlines.

ctrayne

LET IT BE DECLARED: This is run as a separate "game" from Steam. You do not need to have a save near this point in the main game. Think Half Life 2 episodes, except you need the base DXHR game.

Also, it's excellent.

Majukun said:
There was likely a separate sub-team that worked on the DLC.

Does anyone know if they have more DLC planned?

Me playing this DLC:
tumblr_lcvaytwUsB1qer56zo1_400.gif

Dakota47

Interficium said:
Me playing this DLC:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcvaytwUsB1qer56zo1_400.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is pretty much me as well. I have played for two and a half hours and I have enjoyed every minute of it so far.

ShaunBRS

Haha, found this easter egg in amongst the John/Jane Does in cryogenic stasis (there was a cryogenically preserved character in Neuromancer called 3Jane Tessier-Ashpool).

zgXFZ.jpg

Got this as soon as it hit the UK store with some left-over funds. The price seems very reasonable so far.

I'm currently:
just found out that woman who was beating you at the start is a double agent

Starting to get a bit tougher not. Feels a bit buggy and not as polished as the main game though.

RedSwirl

Sciel said:
Finished it in about 5 hours bordering on 6 on a mostly non-lethal stealth playthrough.

Will admit that i rushed a bit towards the end as i was getting a little bit tired of the game. You could probably squeeze maybe an extra hour or so if you get everything done /explore every path/ takedown/ kill every enemy you see.

Its a good piece of DLC thats just a tad overpriced at $15.

It's that long? Holy crap. I was wondering if it's really worth a quarter the full price of the base game since most singleplayer DLC these days is like 90 minutes long. This sounds like it's the same length as most full game campaigns are these days though.

Card Boy

Banned
Welp i just found my first game breaking bug in DLC. My Smart Vision isn't working at all when i try to activate it, i have the energy for it (even if i didn't it would tell me i had no energy).

It was working because i was using it. It's as if the F3 key isn't working (which i know it is outside the game), rebinding it didn't fix it, quitting the game didn't fix it, using an Xbox 360 controller didn't fix.

2 Praxis Points down the drain. I will see if i can load a quit save.

Edit: Err now its working

quitting the game didn't fix it

I tried this already a second quit fixed it by the looks of it.

leng jai said:
How are the engine upgrades in this DLC?

The DLC looks beautiful, and I think the lighting has been improved (although that might be my imagination?). The new assets all look fantastic, but the animations seem even a bit more jerky this time around. Overall though, it looks even better then the main game (especially that water!).

Can anyone weigh in on its length? Is it five hours as a previous poster stated?

Steam says I've played 4 hours so far, and I feel like I probably have around 30-45 minutes left. I took my time during the first half and kind of rushed the second half a little bit, though. There were a few areas/secrets that I passed up due to not having the proper aug(s)
and I didn't feel like doing the fetch quest to get the rocket launcher.

I feel there'll be incentive for me to play it again, too, given some of the cool sounding achievements.

I think it was worth it. A lot of high profile games can't break 5 hours of gameplay these days at $50 or $60.

Just finished it. 6 hours total. And so freaking good. The sections near the end were really expertly done. Had so much fun stealthing through them.

Here's my one recommendation: make sure you get the high jumping aug. It comes in extremely handy, especially near the end of the DLC.

It had excellent level design, was well paced, with good opportunity to use your augs even in the relatively short experience, some fairly interesting new characters (I thought Quinn was a pretty cool character) a nice DX1 tie in, some more light shed on the overall story of HR, and some beautiful presentation with some excellent new music tracks.

Two questions:
did you guys choose to save Kavanagh or the prisoners? I thought about it quite a bit before making the decision. Ultimately I went with the prisoners. I felt there would be other opportunities for the prisoners to completely escape, and other ways in which to bring Belltower down. As repentant as Kavanagh seemed, I just kept thinking about those people pleading in their cells, or the one girl that Jensen promised he would save.

Still, it may not have been the best decision. Chances are Belltower would just continue their experiments unabated at some point, continuing their human trafficking without a whistleblower to help take them down. In that way it makes sense that you should save Kavanagh. I'll play it again at some point and make the other decision. (And I'm wondering if you wait out the time limit, if you'll get another ending by letting everyone die?)

Also...I'm pretty sure the ending strongly hinted at
either a HR sequel, or DLC taking place after Human Revolution's ending. I definitely hope so. I want at least one more game with Jensen, and I'm pretty sure the ending was leaning towards that.

Anyone have any ideas who
the guy Quinn was talking to at the end, and what organization he was working for? Something almost makes me think the Majestic 12. Belltower's strings are ultimately pulled by the Illuminati, which Page is deeply entrenched into. But I could see an early version of Majestic 12 occurring even at that early stage, with Page slowly working on undermining the Illuminati's work. I could be way off, though. Especially since MJ12 would be extremely new, and Quinn seems like a well seasoned member of whatever group he's in.

EDIT: Wha?!
Just looked at the full achievements list, and there was a way to save Kavanagh AND the prisoners?! I have no idea how to do it, but that is incredibly awesome. Can't wait to play again and try and figure out how to do it.

ctrayne

^ Agreed. This DLC was a great experience. Definitely some awesome replay value and secrets to find, and
the ending REALLY hinted at more story to be told.

Ridley327

Anyone who invested in CASIE: not only will you get an achievement for it during the ending, but you get a huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of backstory and another fantastic DX1 hook.

Really, really, really impressed with how well this DLC came out, especially the final sections.

ctrayne

Ridley327 said:
Anyone who invested in CASIE: not only will you get an achievement for it during the ending, but you get a huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of backstory and another fantastic DX1 hook.

Really, really, really impressed with how well this DLC came out, especially the final sections.
There is actually a DX2 link in there too, kind of a funny one.
Paraphrasing, but he says that the term "invisible war" used to apply to the situation but has no meaning anymore. Double meaning. I laughed.

Ridley327

SenseiJinx said:
EDIT: Wha?!
Just looked at the full achievements list, and there was a way to save Kavanagh AND the prisoners?! I have no idea how to do it, but that is incredibly awesome. Can't wait to play again and try and figure out how to do it.
It has something to do with the vent hidden behind the big crate on the first floor of the detention building. I won't spoil the whole thing, but it's possible to do it without any augs.

Ridley327

ctrayne said:
There is actually a DX2 link in there too, kind of a funny one.
Paraphrasing, but he says that the term "invisible war" used to apply to the situation but has no meaning anymore. Double meaning. I laughed.
Yeah, I laughed quite a bit at that part, too. Eidos Montreal definitely loves its fans.

Fruitster

Awesome DLC. Someone already mentioned, but it reminded me alot of the tanker section of MGS2. Playing without using any weapons or praxis kits made it stand out even more - a good challenge even on normal difficulty. Time for a second play before Arkham City tomorrow.

commissar

Finished it, was good fun and worth the $15 imo.

Not quite as polished as the base game, though I'd like to add this is not in the gameplay or environments but in conversations. Small things like model errors or animation matching not quite being the same standard as HR.
Nothing to really detract or bother, it's a very good bit of content :)

Though it seems I wasted my time trying out the no weapons, explosives or upgrades challenge, as it didn't get awarded :[
I guess trying something for fun and then reloading still flags it as invalid so watch for that if you're going to try.
I know I did it anyway :]
No kills, 8 knocked out total, no weapons, no augs, no explosives, give me deus ex. 7 hours.
And if I replay (as I missed a lot of emails etc due to no augs) that's more value for me. Good stuff.

edit:
spoiler for the data storage unit things:
blah blah ocean things...blah blah Australia...wait MOON BASE?!
will be curious as to how that will be in future installments :]

Ridley327

I wonder how they'll handle future DLC, seeing as
you really can't play as Jensen, outside of "what if?" scenarios based on the other endings.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, I was hoping people were wrong about putting praxis points in to do things and then reloading to still work on the achievement, but they were right. Oh well, playthrough 2 coming up now.

DLC was outstanding.

Top Bottom