• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Quick notes from a friend.

-Switching from first to third person is jarring.

-First person makes it harder to stealth.

-Being forced to talk to every person JRPG style, sucks.

Gaf does he speak the truth or is he full of shit?

Just got out into Detroit and have a question...
Are any of these initial main quests and side quests timed like the hostage one? So far for yellow (main) I have to find the corpse in the police station and also the limb clinic enhancement. For blue quests I have to find Chase, O'Malley quest, Tim Carella quest... are any of these timed or can I take my time and explore everywhere?

Dark Octave said:

?? The NPCs are great. I talk to every single one in the headquarters and on the street, even random bums and hookers and guards. I'm enjoying the dialogue quite a bit. You can actually get some neat info about the world and its current climate by talking to these generic secondary NPCs with no names, also listening in on their conversations. It's good stuff. If you don't have the patience for it or don't find the story interesting, then I could see it being annoying.

cackhyena

Dark Octave said:

lol

Deadbeat

Banned
Heavy said:
Just got out into Detroit and have a question...
Are any of these initial main quests and side quests timed like the hostage one? So far for yellow (main) I have to find the corpse in the police station and also the limb clinic enhancement. For blue quests I have to find Chase, O'Malley quest, Tim Carella quest... are any of these timed or can I take my time and explore everywhere?
They are not timed. I dont remember there being any other timed quests except for one.

Aw man. Game finally unlocked at midnight, but it won't launch. Sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it does "This game is currently unavailable". Delete ze blobs, restart Steam, restart PC, still nothing. I go to verify integrity of the game cache and now I'm pretty sure it's downloading the whole game again.

Meanwhile I'm arguing about Origin in another thread and feeling slightly sheepish.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Shit! Was trying to play through this without killing. But.... early on in detroit...

I'm making my way to a transmission tower, find a wall with a crack in it, and remembered that you can augment your arms to punch through these zones. So... I upgrade, punch through the wall, only to find a guy standing right on the other side. Without any input from me, Adam snaps the guy's fucking neck. Didn't know how long it had been since the save, so I just continued on. I'm gonna fuck people up now. I tried. I really did...

epmode

Dark Octave said:

Oh god it's all true. Uninstalling now.

Tanolen

Dark Octave said:

-Switching from first to third person is jarring. Not really

-First person makes it harder to stealth. Not really, no different than other first person stealth

-Being forced to talk to every person JRPG style, sucks. Like every RPG where you talk to someone

Nothing is radically different from other games that use these mechanics

Qwomo

Dark Octave said:

Does your friend work behind the counter at GameStop, perchance?

MMaRsu

Snuggler said:
DONT YOU FUCKING DO IT

you should still get the game, though

But all the games I could sell right now are

UC1
MGS4 ( yea right )
UC2
Wipeout Hd Fury

I dont have to trade in two games, I can buy the game for 60 if I really wanted to.. but if I can trade in UC1 and Wipeout hd Fury, and maybe at another time buy Wipeout again for 10 euro's I'll save a bunch of money I think :p.

Tanolen

Heavy said:
One other thing.. can anyone make a basketball shot? What the hell, I've had so many in and outs. Tried for a solid 20 mins

I tried for awhile, not sure if you can do it without getting lucky and shooting the ball straight up near the hoop.

demolitio

Tanolen said:
I tried for awhile, not sure if you can do it without getting lucky and shooting the ball straight up near the hoop.
I made it a few times after like 20 tries in the leak. It's just a matter of finding how far back you have to go while keeping the same angle.

charsace

Heavy said:
One other thing.. can anyone make a basketball shot? What the hell, I've had so many in and outs. Tried for a solid 20 mins
If you have the jump aug you can just jump above the rim and drop it in. I hit the jumper aftewards just to feel good.

I don't understand how people are having ammo problems. I have a lot of ammo for my pistol and a good amount for the magnum.

Darklord

Banned
I'm liking this game but the character animation is straight out of 1999. It's seriously distracting when in dialog. Some of the characters are just putrid too. Josie the
hostage in the first main mission
looked half deformed, half blind drunk. Fun game though.

I noticed in one of the newspapers(news pads?) that it mentions an augmented Nigerian singer who looks oddly light skinned with blonde hair. I wonder if they did that on purpose.

Deadbeat

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
This is the first game I have EVER played when I can see that actual interior designers and fashion designers worked on levels and NPCs clothing.

Or is that a LIE?
Hugo Boss did uniform design for all WW2 shooters.

5SJaS.jpg

How necessary/helpful is it to increase carrying capacity in this game? I usually hate wasting points on "non abilities" but I've barely started and am already having inventory issues...

Ferrio

Banned
Darklord said:
I'm liking this game but the character animation is straight out of 1999. It's seriously distracting when in dialog. Some of the characters are just putrid too. Josie the

Ya they look like really shitty animatronics.

OK PC Gaf, I've pre-ordered on Steam for the Friday Euro release.

Will this be reasonably playable on my Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i7 with 6750m 1Gb graphics on win7 x64?

watershed

Banned
Can someone help me out I was
talking to greg thorpe earlier and he told me about an arms dealer, but I can't remember where to find him.
Does this game have any kind of dialogue log system or something?

first off i have to say , i'm in love with this game. it's a somewhat a throwback to the old games, but isn't what the folks here wanted.

Darklord said:

it's easy to explain. they took a bunch of random loops for convesations, used a tool for the facial animations, tooled it a bit and you end up with this. it's all about costs. the middleware helped them cut cost... animators don't come cheap. even in quebec.

Just made a jumpshot (I think) but the net didn't move and I didn't get an achievement so I'm not sure if I did. The dunking thing is genius lol... I'm so dumb, I have the jump augmentation too.

One last (dumb) question... is the alcohol +max life permanent or temp? Because I waited a few minutes for the +5 beer to wear off and it stayed at 105

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
angular graphics said:
1. Soft is better.

Are soft shadow DX11 only? I get no option to enable them.

Also, I know I have said this like 3 times, but no response.

I have been trying for hours to get Vsync to work but still have not been able to.

4890 1GB.

Anyone else with this issue?

MisterAnderson said:
How necessary/helpful is it to increase carrying capacity in this game? I usually hate wasting points on "non abilities" but I've barely started and am already having inventory issues...
Good question.. I'm already maxed out thanks to these 5 beers and a whiskey taking up 6 spots. Plus all the ammo. Sigh

BigTnaples said:
Are soft shadow DX11 only? I get no option to enable them.

Also, I know I have said this like 3 times, but no response.

I have been trying for hours to get Vsync to work but still have not been able to.

4890 1GB.

Anyone else with this issue?
Have you tried D3D Overrider? Just turn it on with that. Have the in game setting off

Salsa

6cf8d20ca1c17647aa410a25fcf5229f31e37e6c.jpg

man if i ever knew id saw this on a Deus Ex game

Im loving it. Plays great and looks great. Only real complaint i have is that i get MASSIVE mouse lag when i turn v-sync on, wich is fixed of course by turning it off but then i get MASSIVE tearing, lol. Ideas?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
AlimNassor said:
Adam Jensen is a really cool guy imo anyone else love the dude? He's so much better than Shepard.

He's as cool as you want him to be, yeah. It's fun to be sympathetic throughout an entire conversation, and then cruelly end things. Like
gently talking through Megan's murder investigation with her mother, only to shut her down with too-graphic details about the autopsy.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, if I hit a "thin" wall with the arm-smash aug, and there is a guy on the other side, it will kill him? There's no way to just knock him out through a wall?

If true, I'll never be able to use it. Lame.

Blizzard

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Im loving it. Plays great and looks great. Only real complaint i have is that i get MASSIVE mouse lag when i turn v-sync on, wich is fixed of course by turning it off but then i get MASSIVE tearing, lol. Ideas?
Did you make sure to turn both v-sync AND triple buffering on ingame? Also try plugging a 360 pad in and starting up the game just in case that helps.

Ferrio said:
And if you fuck up you get the ultimate punishment. The loading screen!
This is so true. Makes you extra careful! "Oh crap, if they kill me here I'll have to RELOAD"

malfcn

I am about to go and get this. Is the Explosive mission something cool? Or just go to Best Buy and grab the Tactical weapons?

Just got it for PS3, playing on hard. It's definitely a good looking game, and it runs very smooth. Trying to play as stealthily as possible, may not even kill a single enemy. I did it in MGS4 so it shouldn't be too difficult in this game.

Top Bottom