• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Salsa

Blizzard said:
Did you make sure to turn both v-sync AND triple buffering on ingame? Also try plugging a 360 pad in and starting up the game just in case that helps.

both are ON. Gonna try to force it with the nvidia control panel now just in case

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I'm on Barrett, and I don't think I want to play anymore. The constant deaths + loading, and the incredible difficulty curve if you don't have the right weapons on you is hugely mishandled.

Anyone know where the save files for the game are stored on PC? I think my files might be corrupt and I want to delete them and start a new game

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
zoner said:
Yeah, I'm on Barrett, and I don't think I want to play anymore. The constant deaths + loading, and the incredible difficulty curve if you don't have the right weapons on you is hugely mishandled.

Uh-oh. I'm almost to this point, I think...

jet1911

The "fall from pretty high and punch the ground to stun everyone around" augmentation is really fucking cool! :)

Amazing game, bravo Eidos Montréal!

Chavelo

zoner said:
Tsk tsk tsk.... /shakes head

They don't make em like they used to...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
zoner said:

Sprint to the weapon crate in one of the side nooks. It has 2 EMP grenades in it. Throw an EMP at him, then pick up and throw a fire barrel at him while he's shaking. Do that with the other fire barrel. Run to another side nook, it has a few frag grenades and another EMP. Grab them, throw EMP at him, then both frag grenades and he'll die. That's how I got him on Deus Ex difficulty playing a stealth-non-lethal character with no lethal guns.

It SUCKED. But it worked.

Blizzard

Banned
zoner said:
Even on the easiest difficulty?

StoppedInTracks said:
This is the first game I have EVER played when I can see that actual interior designers and fashion designers worked on levels and NPCs clothing.

Or is that a LIE?
I dunno if it's the only one, but it does a hell of a good job of creating reasonable recreations of what real world locations would look like with out suffering from being too small, oddly furnished, and in general stocked with items you might expect to find (excusing ammo which is needed for balance).

DPD is a great example of what a real functional police station would look like. Counter that with say Resident Evil 2 lol

Carbonox

zoner said:

So what would you recommend for starters? I'd like to play more stealthy than guns-ablazing but if that might affect how I am with bosses then I may have to rethink...

epmode

SalsaShark said:
both are ON. Gonna try to force it with the nvidia control panel now just in case
You really should have D3DOverrider. It allows you to enable vsync and triple buffering in nearly every modern 3D game. And it usually winds up avoiding the occasional vsync related glitch when using the in-game functionality.

(if you do go with this, make sure to turn the in-game option OFF)

Qwomo

zoner said:
I feel the same way, kind of. Hitting a boss fight and having to waste all of my preciously scavenged stun-gun/tranq ammo while constantly dying and having to endure 30-second loads over and over is a real easy way to sap all my enthusiasm for a game.

I'm going to keep going, obviously, because the rest of the game is so great, but these bosses are some of the worst I've ever seen in a game. It's like Metal Gear except without anything clever or fun. They just stick you in a room with a dude you gotta kill. There's no logic or faith to the rest of the game's atmosphere in there.

Makes me feel like some suit forced them to put bosses in the game in order to check a box.

Ferrio

Banned
Chavelo said:
Tsk tsk tsk.... /shakes head

They don't make em like they used to...

Dying a lot is okay, it's the loading screens that really make it unfun. When you're in the loading screen more than the actual fight... something is wrong.

Ken

zoner said:

I used the stun gun + Combat Rifle on him, though I could see it being tough without the right weapons on you from the start. As someone said, there's a bunch of weapons and grenades lying around on the map, as well as explosive barrels. I was disappointed that I couldn't stun him and do a melee on him for damage though.

Salsa

epmode said:
You really should have D3DOverrider. It allows you to enable vsync and triple buffering in nearly every modern 3D game. And it usually winds up avoiding the occasional vsync related glitch when using the in-game functionality.

(if you do go with this, make sure to turn the in-game option OFF)

I had it and it was somewhat clumsy (didnt showed up on tray icon, but the process window showed me that the program was running for example), and most of the times the input lag would still be there actually!

i should give it another shot, but i think i have the old version downloaded and i just run it and it doesnt show up :/

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
SalsaShark said:
I had it and it was somewhat clumsy (didnt showed up on tray icon, but the process window showed me that the program was running for example), and most of the times the input lag would still be there actually!
Close your browser (and maybe any media players you have open) when you first launch it. I had the same issue on Win7 4bit. Showed up in the process window but nowhere else. Then someone here recommended I close Chrome and VOILA!

The loading isn't a big issue for me. If anything it makes things much more tense because if I get spotted (assuming I'm trying to be stealthy) or die I have to wait the 20-30 secs loading. Shit gets really tense and you have to take your time and be really patient. Now if you could load in like 3 seconds would you even care about dying or getting spotted? Don't get me wrong, the load times are too long but it's not a big deal.

Klocker

ok... please advise... I own a 360 only

If I liked Mass effect 1&2 but didn't love it. If I loved Fallout, Red Dead and AC brotherhood. If I have not enjoyed any of the Splinter cell games and never played MGS series but loved Thief on the old PC.

I appreciate open world more as you can see

will I possibly appreciate this game? worth $60?

leng jai

Due to life I've only managed 5 minutes of play before I have to do life stuff. On a 2500K/4GB RAM/OC'ed GTX570 I'm getting a solid 60fps on max with v-sync on. Hope this is indicative of the performance for the rest of the game. Looks pretty good, though the being able to disable the urine filter would be nice. Shooting mechanic is better than I expected...hope theres enough ammo. Other than that not much to say after 5 minutes.

Okay so I think my game files might be corrupted on PC

It freezes only when I go into the start menu and try to access saving and loading. Sometimes it randomly works and otherwise it just freezes instantly and I have to force the game closed.

For some reason, also whenever I exit the game normally, it closes fine but then an error pops up as if it closed with an error.

So how do I get rid of my save files and start fresh? Do I have to delete the whole game as well? Where are my save files located?

Klocker said:
ok... please advise... I own a 360 only

If I liked Mass effect 1&2 but didn't love it. If I loved Fallout, Red Dead and AC brotherhood. If I have not enjoyed any of the Splinter cell games and never played MGS series but loved Thief on the old PC.

I appreciate open world more as you can see

will I possibly appreciate this game? worth $60?
I'd say so, yeah. Btw you can probably find a good deal with $10+ in credit or just straight up $50 somewhere. Pre-release Amazon had a $20 credit and Newegg $48 total

The game is not open world like Fallout but there are hubs and the gameplay sounds like it could be your cup of tea. It's definitely deeper than Mass Effect and more akin to Fallout.

Well I finally got to the Detroit hub area & my opinion of this game lowered a lot by then.

Played 90% of the first mission through trial & error stealth, because I had no FREAKING bullets to kill guys. If I did try to engage a group, I would run out of bullets & have to reload a save.
Low ammo pick ups doesn't make this game harder, it makes it shitter.

I strongly dislike the option of them PUSHING the stealth on you. The original Deus Ex (And IW) were much more equal on whether you wanted to go on a combat or non-combat/stealth route.

The cover mechanic is a shitty ass idea for a FPS unless it's a tactical game like Rainbow Six.
All the time I have been playing, I have not killed ONE single person outside the 3rd person cover mechanic. There is no reason for the game to be a FPS!

KorrZ

Heavy said:
The loading isn't a big issue for me. If anything it makes things much more tense because if I get spotted (assuming I'm trying to be stealthy) or die I have to wait the 20-30 secs loading. Shit gets really tense and you have to take your time and be really patient. Now if you could load in like 3 seconds would you even care about dying or getting spotted? Don't get me wrong, the load times are too long but it's not a big deal.

Yeah honestly, if you've played any Bethesda games on console then the loading times in this game won't even phase you.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FairXchange said:
Just got it for PS3, playing on hard. It's definitely a good looking game, and it runs very smooth. Trying to play as stealthily as possible, may not even kill a single enemy. I did it in MGS4 so it shouldn't be too difficult in this game.

lol MGS4 is the easiest one to get Big Boss rank in. This game is somewhere between MGS2 and MGS3 in terms of going no-alert and no-kill.

Giolon

Yo Gotti said:
Are these load time complaints only for PC? I'm playing on PS3 and loading has never been an issue here.

I started timing my load times on PC last night - even from a cold boot it's only about 15 seconds, a reload/respawn is 7-10 seconds.

This is on a 7200RPM HD too, no SSD shenanigans.

Yo Gotti said:
Are these load time complaints only for PC? I'm playing on PS3 and loading has never been an issue here.

Seems that way. I can create save files instantly but loading takes forever. How fast is saving on PS3/360?

Ferrio

Banned
Heavy said:

It is a big deal. I was at a quest where I had to take down 4 guys, in a small ass room. I'm on the hardest difficulty, so like 2 shots I go down. There was really no way to sneak by them to take them out, and I'm going for a non lethal takedowns... so I got that on my hands too. I'm having fun with my attempts in trying to do it since it's challenging, but having to wait so long between each attempt (which may only last 10 secs) is very very frustrating.

At this point I'm thinking restarting the game, say fuck to stealth and no kill and jack the difficulty down. I don't want to, but those load times are making me wanna shelf this game.

Giolon said:
I started timing my load times on PC last night - even from a cold boot it's only about 15 seconds, a reload/respawn is 7-10 seconds.

This is on a 7200RPM HD too, no SSD shenanigans.

Odd, even people with SSDs were saying they were having way way longer load times.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
See You Next Wednesday said:
The cover mechanic is a shitty ass idea for a FPS unless it's a tactical game like Rainbow Six.
All the time I have been playing, I have not killed ONE single person outside the 3rd person cover mechanic. There is no reason for the game to be a FPS!

The game isn't a "first person shooter" so your first mistake is playing it like one. Conserve your ammo, only shoot when you need to, aim correctly, etc.

This game doesn't hold your hand.

mr stroke

zoner said:

+1

The constant dying and extra long loading screens(even on an SSD) are pissing me off. This game is supposed to give options I thought-Fight, stealth, tactics, etc... but instead, some of these fights and boss fights are terrible and require heavy combat which is the games weakest point :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ferrio said:
Odd, even people with SSDs were saying they were having way way longer load times.

Whatäs the over/under of this being drm related like witcher 2s load times?

So here's something that's been bugging me, strictly a worldbuilding/story nitpick, not a slight against the game or anything:

Why are punks and goths the people you hear in the streets constantly deriding augs, but starched-shirt upper-middle-class folks are mostly all for it? It just seems strange that those are the stereotypes they'd use. I understand that it's supposed to be an issue of class warfare, but I find it odd that they'd choose modern subcultures that currently put a lot of stock into body modding in real life to be the ones shouting you down for "going against God's design". Thoughts?

clip

Here is the error I posted about earlier. My PC is updated and capable, and I get this error if I try to run the game on anything but the highest settings.
6078067020_3912ce137c_o.png

Qwomo

BigJiantRobut said:
So here's something that's been bugging me, strictly a worldbuilding/story nitpick, not a slight against the game or anything:

Why are punks and goths the people you hear in the streets constantly deriding augs, but starched-shirt upper-middle-class folks are mostly all for it? It just seems strange that those are the stereotypes they'd use. I understand that it's supposed to be an issue of class warfare, but I find it odd that they'd choose modern subcultures that currently put a lot of stock into body modding in real life to be the ones shouting you down for "going against God's design". Thoughts?
That's just what poor people look like in the future.

Swifty

See You Next Wednesday said:
Well I finally got to the Detroit hub area & my opinion of this game lowered a lot by then.

Played 90% of the first mission through trial & error stealth, because I had no FREAKING bullets to kill guys. If I did try to engage a group, I would run out of bullets & have to reload a save.
Low ammo pick ups doesn't make this game harder, it makes it shitter.

I strongly dislike the option of them PUSHING the stealth on you. The original Deus Ex (And IW) were much more equal on whether you wanted to go on a combat or non-combat/stealth route.

The cover mechanics are pretty useful, especially since the guards in DXHR walk quicker patrol routes compared to the ones in the original DX. There were several situations where I had some close calls where I miscalculated a patrol route and was able to gain the situational awareness I needed to find an exit route and vault myself cover to cover out of there.

Solo

Painraze said:
The game isn't a "first person shooter" so your first mistake is playing it like one.

But it is a FPS, if you want to play that way. DX is supposed to be about choosing your playing style. One man's stealth action game is another man's FPS. So his complaints are vlid.

Ferrio

Banned
burgerdog said:
If I keep failing hacking attempts is it because my level is too low or I'm doing it wrong?

No, level just has to do with if you're even able to hack a terminal. If you're failing, it's a combination of bad luck, and skill.

Aselith

Painraze said:
The game isn't a "first person shooter" so your first mistake is playing it like one. Conserve your ammo, only shoot when you need to, aim correctly, etc.

This game doesn't hold your hand.
You always got quite a bit of ammo in the original. Run and gun was definitely an option there.

Also, this game does a lot of hand holding.

I only had half an hour to toy around with it after the game unlocked since I'm bogged down with assignments etc, but none of the preorder items showed up in my inventory. Now, this made me sort of happy, but where exactly are they, and where on earth do I find my augmented edition soundtrack, artbook etc?

I got Aug edition gifted to me a few weeks ago via Steam, in case that is relevant.

Yo Gotti

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Seems that way. I can create save files instantly but loading takes forever. How fast is saving on PS3/360?

I just sat and counted.

Saving takes 7-9 seconds.

Loading took 17-20 Seconds.

I guess on paper that seems like a while but when I'm playing the game I hardly notice. Seems about standard to me. *shrug*

Top Bottom