• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

charsace

See You Next Wednesday said:
Well I finally got to the Detroit hub area & my opinion of this game lowered a lot by then.

Played 90% of the first mission through trial & error stealth, because I had no FREAKING bullets to kill guys. If I did try to engage a group, I would run out of bullets & have to reload a save.
Low ammo pick ups doesn't make this game harder, it makes it shitter.

I strongly dislike the option of them PUSHING the stealth on you. The original Deus Ex (And IW) were much more equal on whether you wanted to go on a combat or non-combat/stealth route.

The cover mechanic is a shitty ass idea for a FPS unless it's a tactical game like Rainbow Six.
All the time I have been playing, I have not killed ONE single person outside the 3rd person cover mechanic. There is no reason for the game to be a FPS!
What difficulty level are you playing on? I didn't think running and gunning would be a big complaint since I have no problems doing it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game's soundtrack. Other than some stuff from Vangelis, does anyone have any recommendations for similar electronic/instrumental ambient music?

robotzombie said:
Okay so I think my game files might be corrupted on PC

It freezes only when I go into the start menu and try to access saving and loading. Sometimes it randomly works and otherwise it just freezes instantly and I have to force the game closed.

For some reason, also whenever I exit the game normally, it closes fine but then an error pops up as if it closed with an error.

So how do I get rid of my save files and start fresh? Do I have to delete the whole game as well? Where are my save files located?

Does anyone have any idea about this? I just want to play this game...

The special persuasion conversations are the real boss fights in this game.

Why they felt the need to include the combat ones, I don't know.

Reposting for new page 50ppp peasants.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I only had half an hour to toy around with it after the game unlocked since I'm bogged down with assignments etc, but none of the preorder items showed up in my inventory. Now, this made me sort of happy, but where exactly are they, and where on earth do I find my augmented edition soundtrack, artbook etc?

I got Aug edition gifted to me a few weeks ago via Steam, in case that is relevant.

Zefah said:
I love this game's soundtrack. Other than some stuff from Vangelis, does anyone have any recommendations for similar electronic/instrumental ambient music?

Boards of Canada, the TRON Legacy soundtrack, Faunts, M83, Helios, Dan Hecker, Actress, Com Truise.

Gav47

For those playing this for the past few days, what difficulty would you recommend? I've read that playing on easy nullifies some of the combat problems.

I hope I didn't screw myself out of a quest:

Can I finish the cloak and dagger quest after I take the aircraft from the top of the radio tower building to the factory area? It made sense to do them at the same time because I had to infiltrate the same area, and I was hoping the aircraft would take me back to home base. Now I'm in a new factory area and I'm worried if I'll be able to go back or not.

If I don't get the chance to go back it's going to suck pretty hard.

Blizzard

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
I only had half an hour to toy around with it after the game unlocked since I'm bogged down with assignments etc, but none of the preorder items showed up in my inventory. Now, this made me sort of happy, but where exactly are they, and where on earth do I find my augmented edition soundtrack, artbook etc?

I got Aug edition gifted to me a few weeks ago via Steam, in case that is relevant.
The Steam augmented stuff can be installed by going to the tools dropdown (instead of games) in your library, and installing it from there. It should drop some stuff into a folder.

Gav47 said:
For those playing this for the past few days, what difficulty would you recommend? I've read that playing on easy nullifies some of the combat problems.
Remember you can change difficulty in the middle of the game as well. Presumably it can be turned to easy for boss fights, then turned back to normal afterwards.

Regarding the soundtrack, Michael McCann also has a couple of cool songs that aren't from the Deus Ex HR soundtrack, if you search youtube with his name.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally got to the Detroit hub area & my opinion of this game lowered a lot by then.

Played 90% of the first mission through trial & error stealth, because I had no FREAKING bullets to kill guys. If I did try to engage a group, I would run out of bullets & have to reload a save.

I strongly dislike the option of them PUSHING the stealth on you. The original Deus Ex (And IW) were much more equal on whether you wanted to go on a combat or non-combat/stealth route.

The cover mechanic is a shitty ass idea for a FPS unless it's a tactical game like Rainbow Six.
All the time I have been playing, I have not killed ONE single person outside the 3rd person cover mechanic. There is no reason for the game to be a FPS!

Really? Did you opt for the assault rifle?

Even if you want to go in guns blazing, you really need to set up your attack plan. Find out how many guys are in the area, and try to start the fight by taking one of them out at close range for a free kill. Then use iron sights to take down at least one other enemy before they get a chance to run for cover.

Ammo may be scarce compared to something like Call of Duty, but enemies aren't bullet sponges either, so as long as you take aim before opening fire, you shouldn't really have too many problems.

Then again, I'm playing with a mouse and keyboard, and imagine aiming would be a lot more frustrating with a gamepad.

EmCeeGramr said:
The special persuasion conversations are the real boss fights in this game.

Why they felt the need to include the combat ones, I don't know.
You talking about the speech aug? That does sound awesome. I wanna get it next. Really curious to see how much dialogue it effects.

Treemonkeys said:
I hope I didn't screw myself out of a quest:

Can I finish the cloak and dagger quest after I take the aircraft from the top of the radio tower building to the factory area? It made sense to do them at the same time because I had to infiltrate the same area, and I was hoping the aircraft would take me back to home base. Now I'm in a new factory area and I'm worried if I'll be able to go back or not.

If I don't get the chance to go back it's going to suck pretty hard.

You get another chance after you finish that mission.

Heavy said:
You talking about the speech aug? That does sound awesome. I wanna get it next. Really curious to see how much dialogue it effects.

The speech aug affects those conversations, but no, there's special ones that exist outside of it that are really tense.

Gustav

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
Boards of Canada, the TRON Legacy soundtrack, Faunts, M83, Helios, Dan Hecker, Actress, Com Truise.

I'll add Maserati (especially Pyramid of the Sun), Zombi and early Tangerine Dream.

charsace

You guys that want to gun everyone down shouldn't play hard right from the start. Play the game on normal or maybe even easy so that you can learn the controls and the ins and outs of the game.

burgerdog

Ferrio said:
No, level just has to do with if you're even able to hack a terminal. If you're failing, it's a combination of bad luck, and skill.
I don't get it. I keep failing every hacking terminal ever leveling up to 2. I keep timing out and I don't see what else I could do.

EmCeeGramr said:
You get another chance after you finish that mission.

The speech aug affects those conversations, but no, there's special ones that exist outside of it that are really tense.
Did I just get EmCeeGramr'd? ^_^; Yeah now I know what you meant. First mission
saving Josie from Zeke Sanders was great and tense, although I did reload several times to get the right dialogue combo
That's the one big problem with being able to save at any time.

Qwomo

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I've spent the last 2 hours dismantling a police station bit by bit. Pretty awesome.
My favorite part of Detroit, too.

Despite spending hours and hours in there I haven't seen the whole building, though. Which is cool! I'm intensely curious as to what's on all the computers in the main desk area -- that open area filled with people. Has anyone cleared that place out and read the computers? Anything juicy in there?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

You can kill everyone but you still need to be careful and creative. You also need to be a good shot.

Aeana

I just found a fairly valuable pocket secretary in some bushes. I'd think something like that would be really hard to find without object highlight on. :eek: Good luck to you guys who are doing it, though; I'm sure it'll be more rewarding that way.

Ferrio

Banned
burgerdog said:
I don't get it. I keep failing every hacking terminal ever leveling up to 2. I keep timing out and I don't see what else I could do.

Are you using fortify? You can unlock more than 1 node at a time. Also just being plain quick in choosing nodes is needed.

Aeana said:
I just found a fairly valuable pocket secretary in some bushes. I'd think something like that would be really hard to find without object highlight on. :eek: Good luck to you guys who are doing it, though; I'm sure it'll be more rewarding that way.

Wait there's object highlighting?!?!

Swifty said:
The cover mechanics are pretty useful, especially since the guards in DXHR walk quicker patrol routes compared to the ones in the original DX. There were several situations where I had some close calls where I miscalculated a patrol route and was able to gain the situational awareness I needed to find an exit route and vault myself cover to cover out of there.

I mean your boss gives you a tranq sniper with 6 bullets to take out over 3 dozen terrorist in his facility on the first mission.

The cover system is also TOO useful, the reason why they probably made the ammo so scarce.

Like a lot of reviews have been saying, the stealth & the a.i is just not good & I hate how the game is primarily based on it (unless things change up later on in the game).

wow awesome. so not only is my DLC not showing up in the game, but my augmented edition bonus DVD isn't reading in my PC's disc drive.

dual layer burner. never failed me. tried the disc at work too with no luck. wtf...

EDIT: OOOMMFFFGGGG.... the bonus *DVD* that came with my PS3 version is a fucking blu-ray disc. i have to put it in my PS3. then it tells me to put it in the BD drive of my PC to get the soundtrack off. wow. totally about to refund. this is bullshit. you think they would mention it's a fucking BD.

Ferrio

Banned
Aeana said:
Hm? It's on by default. It puts the yellow outline around interactable/lootable objects.

Is it an actual option? I thought I left everything on default, but I've had the hardest time figuring out what's lootable or not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I mean your boss gives you a tranq sniper with 6 bullets to take out over 3 dozen terrorist in his facility on the first mission.

The cover system is also TOO useful, the reason why they probably made the ammo so scarce.

Like a lot of reviews have been saying, the stealth & the a.i is just not good & I hate how the game is primarily based on it (unless things change up later on in the game).

There's a ton of tranquilizer ammo inside the facility, though...

I think the shooting is just fine. My main complaint is the small inventory system. I've got so much ammo that I'm forced to keep spending upgrade points on that.

Zefah said:
Then again, I'm playing with a mouse and keyboard, and imagine aiming would be a lot more frustrating with a gamepad.

It's not. I've played this on my PC with the mouse and keyboard, and on the PS3 with the DS3. Both feel intuitive and not at all cumbersome.

If you charge into this game thinking that you can carry 100s of bullets, and pray and spray enemies, you're going to be disappointed. It's just not that kind of game.

Ferrio said:
Is it an actual option? I thought I left everything on default, but I've had the hardest time figuring out what's lootable or not.
Perhaps you turned it off by accident while messing around in the options?

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I think the shooting is just fine. My main complaint is the small inventory system. I've got so much ammo that I'm forced to keep spending upgrade points on that.
I actually like the fact that it forces you to make a decision on what to keep and what to get rid of, rather than being a pack-rat who can hold tons and tons of random stuff.

sladeums

GrayFoxPL said:
Sorry if it was already asked but is there a chart or a screenshot of PS3 Controls?

here's a list

Right Analog - Look
Left Analog - Move
Square - Interact/Use/Reload
Triangle - Holster
Hold Triangle - Quick Inventory
Circle - Takedown
X - Jump
L1 - Cover
L2 - Sprint
L3 - Crouch
R1 - Shoot
R2 - Throw/Detonate
R3 - ADS
then some Special Abilities are on the D-Pad

Heavy said:
I actually like the fact that it forces you to make a decision on what to keep and what to get rid of, rather than being a pack-rat who can hold tons and tons of random stuff.

I guess I should start killing more people.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
EDIT: OOOMMFFFGGGG.... the bonus *DVD* that came with my PS3 version is a fucking blu-ray disc. i have to put it in my PS3. then it tells me to put it in the BD drive of my PC to get the soundtrack off. wow. totally about to refund. this is bullshit. you think they would mention it's a fucking BD.

wut?

Just a quick question:

The main missions aren't time based are they? I always get worried in open games like this when somebody checks up on you to "hurry up" or "what the hell are you doing? get on with it."

Just got a bunch of sidequests so I was looking to do those first.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I guess I should start killing more people.
Or you could just sell some of that ammo (if you're trying to go stealthy)

Lionheart1827 said:
Just a quick question:

The main missions aren't time based are they? I always get worried in open games like this when somebody checks up on you to "hurry up" or "what the hell are you doing? get on with it."

Just got a bunch of sidequests so I was looking to do those first.
I asked the same Q a little while back. I'm assuming you finished the first mission and are now heading out into Detroit? None of those quests are timed. Another guy said that only one other quest after the first one is timed and it's plainly obvious that it's timed so you won't miss out.

Zefah said:
There's a ton of tranquilizer ammo inside the facility, though...

I found a few, but still not enough to take out most of the enemies if I wanted to use it as a primary weapon.

Not liking to have to talk to every NPC in case they might offer a quest. Another drawback, since the original two games had smaller hub areas & much less people to tediously talk to.

Heavy said:
Or you could just sell some of that ammo (if you're trying to go stealthy)

I asked the same Q a little while back. I'm assuming you finished the first mission and are now heading out into Detroit? None of those quests are timed. Another guy said that only one other quest after the first one is timed and it's plainly obvious that it's timed so you won't miss out.

Ahh good to know. Yeah I just finished the first mission and I'm out into the city now.

Thanks.

Running in guns blazing is an option, but it's the least likely one to be successful. Especially if you don't invest in the dermal plating augmentation that makes you less likely to die in a hail of gunfire.

You can absolutely run around shooting everybody.. but you'll want to be a good shot.. one bullet to the head will drop anyone who isn't using dermal plating augmentations or wearing a helmet.

MarshMellow96 said:

eidos put the PS3 version's bonus DVD onto a BD instead of a DVD, but never bothered to mention it ever. fine print even says DVD. it even says DVD on the disc itself. i put it into my PS3 and it reads it, but when you go to "Score" it instructs me to put the disc into my PC's BD drive.

my PC doesn't have a BD drive.

i'm also hearing that the soundtrack included on the disc (for those that can access it) aren't even full tracks, but are more like samples. ie: they are shorter than the youtube versions that were leaked before the game released. im pretty irritated right now.

Famassu

Solo said:
But it is a FPS, if you want to play that way. DX is supposed to be about choosing your playing style. One man's stealth action game is another man's FPS. So his complaints are vlid.
Still doesn't mean run & gun is or should be possible. You can take the non-stealth route, but it should still require skill (not just steady aiming) to pull it off. I don't see stealth being a bit easier as a negative. If some place has crazy security, going in guns blazing shouldn't be easy. It should be possible, but it shouldn't be easy at all.

i'm also hearing that the soundtrack included on the disc (for those that can access it) aren't even full tracks, but are more like samples. ie: they are shorter than the youtube versions that were leaked before the game released. im pretty irritated right now.
The fuck is this shit?! I only ordered the Augmented Edition because I wanted the OST so bad. Oh well, luckily I used a discount code so the AE is only 4£ more than the regular version. Still a shitty thing to do. :|

charsace

I found a few, but still not enough to take out most of the enemies if I wanted to use it as a primary weapon.

Not liking to have to talk to every NPC in case they might offer a quest. Another drawback, since the original two games had smaller hub areas & much less people to tediously talk to.
lol wtf!?! They give you a lot of ammo overall in the level. What you're saying makes no sense. They should give you enough ammo to use one weapon through the level? Why?

wutwutwut

robotzombie said:
so no one has any idea where steam saves are stored or how to delete them so you can start fresh in case of a corrupted save file?
Steam\userdata\<Steam ID (number)>\<app ID (28050 in this case)>\remote

GrayFoxPL

sladeums said:
here's a list

Right Analog - Look
Left Analog - Move
Square - Interact/Use/Reload
Triangle - Holster
Hold Triangle - Quick Inventory
Circle - Takedown
X - Jump
L1 - Cover