• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

MNC said:
Are there achievements for doing a non-lethal/non-detection playthrough?
yes

See You Next Wednesday said:
I hope it's better than Detroit, which looked like it could have been straight off the original game (that being NOT a compliment).

Also is there a way to store my stuff?
I have a rocket launcher that is taking all my inventory space & I don't want to carry it around.
Can if I drop it in the middle of the street, will it still be there even at the end of the game or will it disappear? Or is the only option is to sell it?

Ugh, who the hell honestly wanted menu management in the game. One of the worst gameplay mechanic in game history.

any items, bodies, doors you open, etc stay the same in the universe. I happen to love the inventory management.

Card Boy

Banned
So glad you can sell shit in this game, thats one thing that pissed me off about the first game. You just had to drop stuff and had no way of making money from it.

I hope it's better than Detroit, which looked like it could have been straight off the original game (that being NOT a compliment).

I have a rocket launcher that is taking all my inventory space & I don't want to carry it around.
Can if I drop it in the middle of the street, will it still be there even at the end of the game or will it disappear? Or is the only option is to sell it?

Ugh, who the hell honestly wanted menu management in the game. One of the worst gameplay mechanic in game history.

The idea is for you to pick a playstyle and kind of stick to it. I suppose it's "forced" customization in a way, but there are also the item slot augs if you really feel like carrying six or seven guns with you.

Ken

I don't think there's any to return to older hubs.

However, I dropped some ammo in Hengsha's LIMB lobby when I first arrived and right before I left to the next hub, the ammo was still there. You could probably drop your launcher in a familiar location and before you leave pick it up again.

Aselith said:
Did it have anywhere to go? You've been bitching about everything that can be bitched about all day.

As well as I should be, this game is nowhere near the level of the original thanks to the 3rd person cover system & crappy outdated MGS1 stealth approach.

So far I'm even thinking Invisible War is better.

As well as I should be, this game is nowhere near the level of the original thanks to the 3rd person cover system & crappy outdated MGS1 stealth approach.

and im out.

fuzzyreactor said:
yes

any items, bodies, doors you open, etc stay the same in the universe. I happen to love the inventory management.

Well, that would explain why the performance of the game was getting worse & worse in the same spots as I played longer.

Ken said:
I don't think there's any to return to older hubs.

You mean no way to return to older hubs like Detroit?

BeeDog

So how does the PS3 version stack up, now that the game is out? I don't know if I should buy the PS3 version or the PC version, seeing as my PS3 is hooked up to my surround sound system. Is the audio quality good in this game? Any major annoyances with the console version?

Sethos

Banned
Cheapest I've found is a CD-key I can register on Steam for $41, anyone know of something cheaper, a place that sends out keys?

Ken

BigJiantRobut said:
No, no, the one after
you get Lee to confess to murder and have to hack a panel in The Hive
Try leveling up your Hacking: Stealth augment if you have the PRAXIS to spare? Other than that and items, I don't have any other tips other than to hope the game doesn't detect your hack too early.

You mean no way to return to older hubs like Detroit?

Yeah, my bad for the weird sentence.

I haven't beaten the game myself so I'm just going by the fact that when you move on to the next hub, the game clears your sub quests in the previous hub.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I am absolutely loving the game, but what the fuck at the boss fights? I'm a stealth/hack build, so this is really not working for me at all.

I just got to the first boss, and I stopped for the night, but it was kind of a lame way to end the evening (especially since I'm not made for combat at all).

Ugh, wish the game didn't funnel you into boss fights when the rest of the game is crafted so well around making choices of your own.

Hahaha, okay dude.

BeeDog said:
So how does the PS3 version stack up, now that the game is out? I don't know if I should buy the PS3 version or the PC version, seeing as my PS3 is hooked up to my surround sound system. Is the audio quality good in this game? Any major annoyances with the console version?

Well on the 360, the game is using FXAA, is fully V-synced, looks to be 720p & has a fairly solid 30fps (except near some fire effects & some parts of the hub world).
Has some great lighting effects too.

jediyoshi

Well, that would explain why the performance of the game was getting worse & worse in the same spots as I played longer.

Yeah, all those doors that are now open instead of closed are a real performance hit.

really? i havent noticed worse performance. Detroit does seem to stutter more than china. Im actually amazed how smooth this game runs on my rig. I run it with a 5770 @1080p, high fxaa, 16xAf, tessellation, vsync, high ssao, post processing and medium dof. Game runs smooth as butter besides a few stutters when i enter a new area

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Teknoman said:
About cover system: If you're playing with mouse/keyboard, set to toggle.
Yep. First thing I did. It's a ton better on toggle.

Dizzy-4U

Played 5 hours straight. My God, sooo good. Already maxed the hacking skills (first thing I did after the dialog upgrade). Man, those who have problems with ammo need to upgrade hacking. I found so many weapons and ammo of all types all over the place. I sold them all since I'm only using the tranq rifle though.

Anyways, as for random stuff that happened to me, I was hacking some stupid door and all of a sudden a big fat explotion happened behind it. I jumped like 2m high screaming like a little girl. I play with low volume now :'(

thetrin said:
I am absolutely loving the game, but what the fuck at the boss fights? I'm a stealth/hack build, so this is really not working for me at all.

I just got to the first boss, and I stopped for the night, but it was kind of a lame way to end the evening (especially since I'm not made for combat at all).

Ugh, wish the game didn't funnel you into boss fights when the rest of the game is crafted so well around making choices of your own.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just got through with that & had to restart the fight 5 times.

On my 5th try I decided to throw a grenade & 2 mines & that immediately killed him! Literally the entire fight lasted 4 seconds. After all that shit I went through originally trying to kill him, I just had to quickly throw 3 items near him.

edit:
Dizzy-4U said:
Played 5 hours straight. My God, sooo good. Already maxed the hacking skills (first thing I did after the dialog upgrade). Man, those who have problems with ammo need to upgrade hacking. I found so many weapons and ammo of all types all over the place. I sold them all since I'm only using the tranq rifle though.

Hacking skill increase ammo drops???

SlickVic

Sethos said:
Cheapest I've found is a CD-key I can register on Steam for $41, anyone know of something cheaper, a place that sends out keys?

Not really much of a difference, but Amazon Digital Download has it for $40, if you want to avoid those cd key websites. I think GreenManGaming.com had the Augmented Edition for $40 with a promo code as well, but I don't know if the deal is going on still.

Ken

Yeah I know what you mean. I just got through with that & had to restart the fight 5 times.

On my 5th try I decided to throw a grenade & 2 mines & that immediately killed him! Literally the entire fight lasted 4 seconds. After all that shit I went through originally trying to kill him, I just had to quickly throw 3 items near him.

edit:

Hacking skill increase ammo drops???
Hacking can unlock doors, safes, and rooms that can contain ammo you wouldn't be able to grab without hacking.

Speaking of hacking, leveling your hacking skills ASAP definitely seems like a good way to gain experience especially for stealth characters when there aren't a ton of enemies and also avoidable enemies, but a ton of computers and doors to hack for experience points.

Not sure why I feel compelled to only do knock out takedowns and use the tranq gun... I'm having a blast but feel like the game might be even more fun if I'm utilizing other guns, but it just feels wrong for some reason.

I guess I subconsciously decided to play the game as Batman or something. (Why doesn't Batman use tranquilizers??)

A few thoughts about the game, after the first mission:

Imagine the original Deus Ex, reimagined for the modern gamer. A cover system is in and it is very smooth, all the good parts of Gears of War's cover system are in and the bad parts aren't. There is a stealth gameplay mechanic, complete with Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell style takedowns where you can render people unconscious in the most painful ways possible, including breaking their arms in two places first just so you can satisfy your sadistic urges before you knock them the fuck out. Hey, no one said non-lethal had to be pleasant like taking a nap!

Shooting is now based almost entirely on where your crosshair is, as long as you aren't moving. The wavery crosshair in the original game was always total bullshit until you increased your skills or used augs. This game is in every way possible a modern FPS/TPS hybrid. It also has some Mass Effect themed conversation pieces too, just to prove the point that everything and the kitchen sink is in this game.

Oh, and Square-Enix Visual Works contributes some kickass CGI cutscenes with some very impressible blood effects, something they haven't had a chance to let loose with until the recent Final Fantasy Type-0 and now this game. The budget behind this game was clearly tremendous, and no expense was spared to demonstrate to the gamer that no expense was spared during the cutscenes.

It's also amazingly faithful to the original game. There's an incredibly old-school inventory system. Augmentation is once again based on XP and a certain special item gained, though the one item now works for any aug you want to add or upgrade. Ammo is once again different for every gun (FUCK YOU INVISIBLE WAR!), and your limited inventory means you can't walk around with an arsenal of 8 guns and 300 rounds for each one.

You are given multiple pathways to every goal, including the infamously convenient air ducts which always go where you need to be. The voice acting is just slightly hammy, in honor of the hilariously bad voice acting from the original game. And yes, it actually seems to relate to the first game so far, unlike the second game which was so far removed in both scope and quality. This game manages to ooze a big budget and hyper-modern gameplay mechanics while also feeling true to the original. If the Eidos Montreal team was trying to prove how big they were fans of the original classic game, it's hard to say they couldn't have tried any harder.

Well, I guess that's all I can say about it now, I want to play more rather than write long-ass posts nobody will read anyways on GAF.

thetrin

MisterAnderson said:
Not sure why I feel compelled to only do knock out takedowns and use the tranq gun... I'm having a blast but feel like the game might be even more fun if I'm utilizing other guns, but it just feels wrong for some reason.

I guess I subconsciously decided to play the game as Batman or something. (Why doesn't Batman use tranquilizers??)
I know how you feel. I'm playing the game like Metal Gear without even thinking about it.

ctrayne

Game is amazing. Constantly floored by everything other than the poor NPC design. But everything else is just breathtaking. Some people will never be satisfied with this game for some reason, but it's really quite brilliant. The art/design is out of this world. Some of it so far is surpassing Mirror's Edge levels of interior design. :)

Jeramii

Banned
anyone get the "balls" achievement?

unlocked it on steam by accident. i was just
playing basketball for the hell of it, and was having trouble getting a hoop. so i stacked two oil drums on top of eachother, put another one next to it. hopped up on the one, then on the two. dropped it in to prove a point that i could do it... and BALLS!
way funny. especially the description of what the achievement is.

Jeramii said:

playing basketball for the hell of it, and was having trouble getting a hoop. so i stacked two oil drums on top of eachother, put another one next to it. hopped up on the one, then on the two. dropped it in to prove a point that i could do it... and BALLS!

Good idea. I spent 10 minutes & couldn't get the damn ball in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The positive reception for China is scaring me, because I've got to have around 8 hours in Detroit alone and can't imagine it actually getting better.

Dizzy-4U

Jeramii said:

Yep, that's what I did.

R1CHO

Sethos said:
Okay, they want my Steam details to activate the game through a VPN, haha, no.

LoL, you also can try in cdkeyhouse or g2play... the problem is that some of that places are selling russian keys, and thats the reason for the vpn i think.

Sethos

Banned
R1CHO said:
LoL, you also can try in cdkeyhouse or g2play... the problem is that some of that places are selling russian keys, and thats the reason for the vpn i think.

Yeah, I'm usually using g2play, they never let me down - Think I'll go there again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

0038_xlge.gif

I couldn't find the hostages and now everyone's mad at me. :(

I love how detailed the environments are in this game. I wish the world of Mass Effect had half as much love put into it.

Teknoman

Weird ass line glitch time again:

This just started today, but for some reason I can see orange...line "seams" at times in the environment. When outside, its usually just a horizontal line that always stays on the floor in front of you...but now that i'm at my Adam's apartment, its really obvious:

C1BEE668E372B30AB2AF6EDAA75563FFBDCCBD03

C1BEE668E372B30AB2AF6EDAA75563FFBDCCBD03

Its the serrated looking line that goes across the wall and off to the side near the furniture.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game.

This game.

Untracked

Can I be stealthy but kill dudes with a turret? Would it fuck the no-kills achievement up? Yes, dudes are dead, but technically I didn't kill them.

Guy on the street whistling the Invisible War menu tune. I punched him in the face. Could not resist.

lucius said:
So I am still pretty early in the game should I be upgrading my hacking 1st or energy or something else?
I would go for go for hacking/ wall break/ Icarus fall/ and cybernetic legs

these will allow you to get all the hidden aug packs

Top Bottom