• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

watershed

Banned
markot said:
Dont you have to kill people in the intro bit >_<? Or do you sneak round em?
You can complete the first mission however you want. Stealth, non-lethal, or lethal.

Edit: I misunderstood what intro bit you were referring to. That part I'm not sure.

markot said:
Dont you have to kill people in the intro bit >_<? Or do you sneak round em?
I definitely snuck around a couple of them which makes me think that it's possible. Kinda dumb that they give you a lethal weapon though.

Salsa

Backfoggen said:
I definitely snuck around a couple of them which makes me think that it's possible. Kinda dumb that they give you a lethal weapon though.

OH CRAP

now i remember i totally killed people there

does that count for the pacifist run? holy shit tell me it doesnt, please

SalsaShark said:
OH CRAP

now i remember i totally killed people there

does that count for the pacifist run? holy shit tell me it doesnt, please
I think it does. But I'm afraid to start killing again if it maybe doesn't. :(

My first play-through is on 'Normal' difficulty and I'd call it aggressive stealth. My main weapon is a fully upgraded pistol (silencer + laser + powerful ammo), but I try not to kill unless I'm put in a corner.

I have to say, having infiltrated Derelict Row as part of the Jenny Alexander mission, going back there and mowing everyone down with the Combat Rifle as I took the helicopter to the
FEMA facility
was IMMENSELY satisfying.

My second play-through will be pacifist on Give Me Deus Ex, but I'll probably keep a combat rifle in my inventory (if there is space) just for the bosses.

I fucking love this game, I'm just worried if I'll have the motivation to do all the side missions, etc. again on a second go round. Thoughts?

Salsa

this just fucking blows. I wont ever go for a pacifist run now cause ive been doing that same thing for 11 hours without knowing it wasnt counting, so now for my next playthrough i sure as hell wont do the exact same thing.

FUCKING FUCK BUHGHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

bigjimmystyle said:
The hacking is kicking my ass. Any tips? I've just reached detroit.

Here's my MO- I maxed out my hacking-stealth immediately, I never bother fortifying anything (don't even know what it is! maybe it's useful but I don't need it). I hack everything even if I have the code, going for every possible bonus node, which gives me tons of worms and nukes. Don't be afraid to back out of a hack if you start getting traced before getting the bonuses... back out and try again until you have one attempt left, in which case it's time to break out the viruses if you're in danger. This only happens to me on the hardest hacks.

Works for me, I hack everything and have a growing stockpile of viruses that should last forever and then some.

Salsa

im seriously mad as fuck

youre gonna say i had it coming, but the game should fucking tell me about it instead of giving me a lethal gun and showing me a weapons tutorial video in the fucking TUTORIAL SECTION. I ASSUMED that didnt count cause the game was pretty much asking me to shoot those guys.

holy shit, 11 hours playing like that for no reason.

Salsa

Wallach said:
The glorious age of cheevos.

its not really about the achievement, i just wanted to accomplish that in the same way i like doing so in the fallout games (and i didnt give a crap about FO3 GFWL cheevos), for example.

bigjimmystyle said:

There is a stealth hacking aug that helps lessen the chance of being caught. Other than that, just need to be quick, and don't be afraid to use nukes and stops. Once you get a hang of it hacking becomes fun, or at least it did for me.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
its not really about the achievement, i just wanted to accomplish that in the same way i like doing so in the fallout games (and i didnt give a crap about FO3 GFWL cheevos).

Then carry on with how you're playing.

Trevelyon

I'm early enough in the game to just start over my pacifist run. But yeah, with the prologue stuff it never occurred to me that it would count, but then again I didn't really think about til now.

Shit.

watershed

Banned
SalsaShark said:
i probably will, but its not the same

now deep down i know i have an evil heart, my jensen is fucked, he's a murdererrrrrrr
I've only used 1 lethal takedown so far and have killed 4 people not counting the first boss. I think its because the game creates such a realistic world that even though there is no explicit morality system I want to only kill the really bad guys and not the suckers who just get in my way.

red731

SalsaShark said:
i probably will, but its not the same

now deep down i know i have an evil heart, my jensen is fucked, he's a murdererrrrrrr

DEXTER.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whelp, the bug I have essentially shuts down the GPU.

Good job Eidos. Way to kill my boner.

duckroll

I play a non-lethal character, but I have no moral qualms about tranq'ing gangbangers in the sewer, and then dragging their bodies into the electrified water after looting them, thus ending their miserable lives. What sort of person does this make me!? :(

red731

^ Murderer with heart, maybe. And does THAT count as kill? Environment is the killer right? Not you?

SalsaShark said:
not gonna lie though: the achievement was a nice plus ;_;

Since I knew all this now. I will not get tricked when I will start playing tomorrow.

And I can't freakin wait.

The wait is killing me.

Ken

artwalknoon said:
I've only used 1 lethal takedown so far and have killed 4 people not counting the first boss. I think its because the game creates such a realistic world that even though there is no explicit morality system I want to only kill the really bad guys and not the suckers who just get in my way.
I knock out guards since they are just doing their job.

I killed a scientist for speaking to me in a condescending manner.

d00d3n

The game has much more freedom than I expected. I spent five or so hours yesterday going through the sidestuff in the first hub world outside sarif headquarters in Detroit. I have to take issue with some things, though:

As a "gotta catch em' all" power gamer you are very restricted when it comes to your first aug choices. I have spent essentially every available praxis point on somewhat boring augs that are needed to get everything (4 maxes out hacking access, 1 needed to make hacking less quickload dependent, 2 for social enhancements, 1 for larger inventory). The stealth enhancing augs seem more fun gameplay wise but you can compensate in those areas with quickload and repetition which makes them less essential. Passing up hacking to use keycodes is hugely penalized in the game with notably less experience, less hacking items and less credits. When you have used the code any reward you could have gotten by hacking is lost forever. The social enhancement aug is also needed early to get all the benefits in conversations, which I guess is self-explanatory. Inventory size is stupidly under-dimensioned at default which forces you to choose between leaving a lot of stuff behind or getting the augs. A permanent locker or storage area would mitigate this (weapon upgrades and some other stuff take up lots of space but are not really needed on the field) but I have not found one as far as I have played.

The thing that really annoys me with the game is the ridiculous loading times. This targets people who are trying to "power game" specifically and easily stretched the first primary mission several hours for me. It has also been annoying when hacking in the hub world. I have no idea how the testers for the game could find the loading times acceptable. I can think of no other trial and error-based stealth game with loading times even in the same ballpark as human revolution.

In conclusion the game is clearly GOTY-material despite everything I said above ...
(the reply is a double post from rockpapershotgun)

Salsa

duckroll said:
I play a non-lethal character, but I have no moral qualms about tranq'ing gangbangers in the sewer, and then dragging their bodies into the electrified water after looting them, thus ending their miserable lives. What sort of person does this make me!? :(

ive been reading online that if youre somewhat harmful while draggin the bodies they can die, lol. So beware those who are playing non-lethal.

duckroll said:

Look, if you're going to kill people, don't waste time with passive-aggressive nonsense like that! Just shoot them in the head while they are unconscious and be done with it!

I actually wonder if doing that body dragging thing counts as killing them or not.

Going to pick up my PS3 copy today. First new game I've bought this year besides Portal 2. So glad to hear this thing is getting great reviews. Family is gone for the weekend so I'll have the big screen and great sound system to myself.

Salsa

guess im going back to pick that sniper rifle and add a silencer to it.

Fuckers (just the evil ones) are going down now.. i guess

duckroll

SalsaShark said:
ive been reading online that if youre somewhat harmful while draggin the bodies they can die, lol. So beware those who are playing non-lethal.

Yeah but it's intentional! I'm a terrible person!

Fjordson

Man, have my first few Praxis points and I'm having a tough time deciding. So many choices. Might just go the hacking route. Or the cloak ability.

That first mission was great. Found myself using stealth the whole way through, which is surprising since I'm not usually a big stealth guy.

And Jensen's takedowns are so brutal lmao, some of them literally made me cringe the first time I saw them.

bigjimmystyle said:
1. A node with 50% of higher chance of detection will definitely get detected. Try to prioritize your captures. If there are two nodes with 35% and 50%, capture the 35% first and continue from there.

2. Best to follow not only the shortest path but the path with a most accessible nodes. Remember, you will get detected no matter what.

3. You can capture all the accessible nodes at the same time. At the beginning, it's best to capture as quick as you can. Fortify whenever you get that extra second cause fortification slows down the alert process.

4. My recommendation is to spend the first few augmentations on Hacking skills, preferably Hack levels (Level 1-5) and Detection rate. Reduce the detection rate to ensure the 50% or more nodes come down to 15%.

5. Do not spend money on guns. At all. You will get loads of ammo and weapons in your playthrough. When you get around 10,000 credits, spend 5,000 on a praxis kit at hospital, thus ensuring that the other 5,000 is safe incase a mission requires you to bribe someone.

6. Don't spend your praxis on armor, recoil, cloak, jump or any of the "useless" abilities either. These are all irrelevant and only necessary once you leave Detroit. Invest on hacking cause without it, you won't get to many places without confronting/attacking a few people and reading the password in their inventory/log.

7. Oh and there are special nodes like Spam and what not. They also help in slowing down the alert process. Remember: Once the countdown starts, speed up!

8. There are a abilities like Nuke and Stop virus, which can help a lot and can be either bought from gun merchant or by hacking the inventory nodes.

9. If you don't think you can make it through the hack without getting the countdown to zero, exit the hack and start over again. You won't get penalized.

TL;DR: Welcome to Detroit! Hacking will be hard in the beginning and you'll get to enjoy it as you get the right Augmentations. Spend on Hack Levels, Detection rate, Backpack upgrades, and Security access (cameras/bots), and spend it on other items only when you feel comfortable with hacking (which you wont until you are five to ten hours deep into the game. Damn long game lol) you'll start appreciating the level of combat, stealth and hacking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Corky said:
err wtf :eek:

got more background?

GTX 570 (factory OC'd).

There's one specific area of the game that is completely bugged. Every second I spend there is a gamble as to whether or not the game will crash. If I'm lucky, the crash will simply be the game freezing then booting back to Windows, reporting an error. If I'm unlucky the screen fills with green graphical artifacts while the game freezes, then the image is lost completely and my screen reports no signal from the GPU, forcing me to restart the computer. Or, if I'm really lucky, I can get in and out without the game freezing at all.

I'd blame my GPU, but nowhere else in the game have I had any graphical or performance issues (other than the common ones, eg: long loading), nor have I had any problem in any other game.

Thus I am blaming the game, and I'm pretty fucking livid.

Ken

Fjordson said:
Man, have my first few Praxis points and I'm having a tough time deciding. So many choices. Might just go the hacking route. Or the cloak ability.

That first mission was great. Found myself using stealth the whole way through, which is surprising since I'm not usually a big stealth guy.

And Jensen's takedowns are so brutal lmao, some of them literally made me cringe the first time I saw them.
Early on, I'd recommend hacking as one energy cell and level 1 cloak only gives you three seconds of cloak IIRC, and no melee while waiting for the cell to recharge.

duckroll

Wallach said:
You should at least find a cooler way to kill them. Maybe with your robot arms. Just sayin'.

The idea is not killing anyone directly. I sneak, I don't kill. But then after I look at all the unconscious bodies, I get bored, and these voices in my head tell me to do bad things. :(

Fjordson said:

God no. Dont invest on cloak. At all. You need to save every big of energy, and cloak sucks a lot of it. Invest to hacking level so you don't get stuck and miss out on key data.

Invest on cloak 20+ hours into the game.

Fjordson

shagg_187 said:
God no. Dont invest on cloak. At all. You need to save every big of energy, and cloak sucks a lot of it. Invest to hacking level so you don't get stuck and miss out on key data.

Invest on cloak 20+ hours into the game.

Ken said:
Early on, I'd recommend hacking as one energy cell and level 1 cloak only gives you three seconds of cloak IIRC, and no melee while waiting for the cell to recharge.
Ah, thanks for the tips. Hacking it is!

Top Bottom