• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Ken

lucius said:
So I am still pretty early in the game should I be upgrading my hacking 1st or energy or something else?

Hacking level 1-5.

If you're a stealth character or focused on minimizing enemy encounters, then hacking is a great source of experience points. There's a lot of things in the world to be hacked, and hacking computers and locks gives experience points, hacking items, and money, as well as the occasional access codes that can lead to unlocking other things. There's also safes, rooms, and areas containing weapons, ammo, items, money, and PDAs that can often only be accessed through hacking.

FGMPR said:
You have to be trolling.

I consider Splinter Cell series as a good example of good stealth mechanics & this game doesn't have that.
I still consider Deus Ex 1 as the greatest of all time. The sequel an inferior, but still an excellent game.
This game so far (I'm just going to Shanghai, it could get better) feels outdated & not up to par with the current cream of the crop roster of FPS.
Outside the multiple options to get through a level, I feel like I'm replaying that shitty Quantum of Solace Bond game when it comes to all the combat scenarios.

watershed

Banned
Played for a few more hours. Man, this game really pulls you in, like I wanna stop playing but I don't! At the end of Detroit finishing some loose ends. My only regret is wasting some praxis points on inventory when I'm mostly stealth anyways :( Wish I had put it into some cooler stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
High jump + double takedown + silent sprint/land + extended sprint + extra energy augs.

You're literally a ninja.

See You Next Wednesday said:
This game so far (I'm just going to Shanghai, it could get better) feels outdated & not up to par with the current cream of the crop roster of FPS.

What do you mean by FPS? FPP is a method of interacting with the world. Or you mean FPS like CoD, then it's the most retarded argument you can make. The genre is RPG, not FPS.

EatChildren said:
High jump + double takedown + silent sprint/land + extended sprint + extra energy augs.

You're literally a ninja.

Is there a lot of cases where high jump proves handy?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Castor Krieg said:

I think so. I dunno. A lot of the augs are as useful as you want to make them. I like the high jump as it give me extra mobility, and makes me feel like the goddamn batman.

Salsa

man, im going pacifist but now i cant remember if i killed anyone :( if i finish the game going forward with the stun and tranq gun and end up realizing i killed ONE guy or something im gonna be pissed.

Enco

I'll wait till a patch is released for the pc version.

I need a game to hold me over till BF3.

If you get the retail version, do you have to register it with steam or is registration optional?

Wallach

I can't believe you guys would waste a perfectly good robot man on being fucking non-lethal. I mean you technically can't even go through the whole game like that anyway. HE HAS ROBOT ARMS FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Zaptruder

Banned
Wallach said:
I can't believe you guys would waste a perfectly good robot man on being fucking non-lethal. I mean you technically can't even go through the whole game like that anyway. HE HAS ROBOT ARMS FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Taking out a police station by punching everyone in the head is... my idea of fun.

Wallach

Amir0x said:
we build robots now for spying

why can't i have robots arm and be stealthy and non-lethal pfft

Cop guy: Wow nice robot arms Jensen, when'd you get those?

Jensen: After another robot man kicked my ass.

Cop guy: Oh jeez that sucks. What do you do with them?

Jensen: I use them to speed-fold origami because I'm a fuckin' asshole.

shanghai is on another level. like, I said wow

I'm also ridiculously stingy. I have 10 praxis points and can't decide what to augment. I have hacking at max and double takedown. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like anything is required. I haven't even upgraded my energy! I almost want to save them all up, upgrade at once, and suddenly be extraordinary.

or there is a "I never asked for this" achievement for getting through without upgrading once. I would totally do that for my fourth run...is it weird that I already know what I'm doing for my next two playthroughs? sorry video games releasing in september, you don't exist anymore! maybe october too!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zaptruder said:
Taking out a police station by punching everyone in the head is... my idea of fun.

I had access to the basement, did what I needed, then punched them all out anyway. Fuck them.

EatChildren

Linkzg said:
I'm also ridiculously stingy. I have 10 praxis points and can't decide what to augment. I have hacking at max and double takedown. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like anything is required. I haven't even upgraded my energy! I almost want to save them all up, upgrade at once, and suddenly be extraordinary.

Dude spend those points!

Swifty

So, I just threw an EMP grenade for the first time at a pretty large military robot. My expected result was that of the original Deus Ex's behavior of mixing electro-magnetic pulses and robots. The robot shut down spectacularly while emitting arcs of colorful lightning. But then unexpectedly, it proceeded to explode, taking with it a hapless soldier who unfortunately was standing next to it. His remains flew across the room with the maximum force the game probably allowed. I find it hard to say that it wasn't pretty epic.

But now I'm wondering, will this count against my non-lethal streak? I pretty much haven't been responsible for anyone's death, save for that unexpected, er, "accident." :lol

BeeDog

Can someone post some more PS3 impressions please? Graphical impressions (e.g. framerate) and sound impressions would be very appreciated.

Wallach said:

I enjoy breaking their arms or legs before I punch them so hard their grandchildren will feel it. The limb-breaking noise is really satisfying in this game too, it has a hefty CRUNCH when I snap an arm and I play with my speakers turned up loud so you can really feel his arm go CRUNCH.

Also, you get way more XP for taking someone down non-lethally than lethally. If it makes you feel better you can kill them after you've gotten the XP. They're just lying there helpless on the ground after you've broken a limb and punched them into next week, so go ahead if you really want to!

Realistically though, I'm only being non-lethal until I get me a fucking sword, because my shit is fucked up and I got to shoot/slice you!

Linkzg said:
or there is a "I never asked for this" achievement for getting through without upgrading once. I would totally do that for my fourth run...is it weird that I already know what I'm doing for my next two playthroughs? sorry video games releasing in september, you don't exist anymore! maybe october too!
Yea, pretty much this. I had a couple games i wanted to buy coming up but i think Ill just stick with this game till Dark Souls and then that will last me till next year. Thank you awesome and deep games for saving me loads of money

Wallach

Unknown Soldier said:
I enjoy breaking their arms or legs before I punch them so hard their grandchildren will feel it.

Also, you get way more XP for taking someone down non-lethally than lethally. If it makes you feel better you can kill them after you've gotten the XP.

Realistically though, I'm only being non-lethal until I get me a fucking sword, because my shit is fucked up and I got to shoot/slice you!

Can you do that much damage and still not kill them? That's pretty alright then. Just saying if you're going to get robot arms you should do something worthy of havin' robot arms. The punching through walls thing definitely counts, I'd do something like that if I had robot arms.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So people are enjoying the game I take it?

( hurry up and fucking unlock you piece of smelly ass )

Castor Krieg said:
What do you mean by FPS? FPP is a method of interacting with the world. Or you mean FPS like CoD, then it's the most retarded argument you can make. The genre is RPG, not FPS.

The town parts are RPG, the combat parts are FPS. It's an apt comparison.

I don't really hate this game, just very disappointed that they only really nailed one part of the game.
I'll say this though, the story is great & has kept me playing & the conversation wheel (after you upgrade the augs needed for it) absolutely shits on every other game that had a similarly devised system.

Also High jump is a good alternative to the strength aug for moving heavier boxes as you can just move a small box & jump on top of it instead of the needing to handle the heavier taller ones. Plus jumping is funnier.

Salsa

question: is there a non-lethal weapon later on that lets me upgrade something other than reload speed? i have these bunch of upgrades that im not sure im gonna use if i plan on not killing anyone.

EatChildren

SalsaShark said:
question: is there a non-lethal weapon later on that lets me upgrade something other than reload speed? i have these bunch of upgrades that im not sure im gonna use if i plan on not killing anyone.

I dont think so, but you might as well stick them on a weapon for use in boss fights or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EatChildren said:
I think so. I dunno. A lot of the augs are as useful as you want to make them. I like the high jump as it give me extra mobility, and makes me feel like the goddamn batman.
High jump shouldn't make you feel like the Batman
Icarus landing + Punching through the wall makes you feel like the god damn Terminator Batman

Salsa

EatChildren said:
I dont think so, but you might as well stick them on a weapon for use in boss fights or something.

mh, should have thought of that. I just attached them to a pistol before reading your post, lol. Hopefully it'll get the job done.

Ferrio

Banned
So is there any point upgrading extra energy cells? I mean you have to eat stuff to regen them... so if you don't have food stuffs ( I don't think I have much) it's useless.

edit: Also I had item highlighting off accidentally... I'm finding all sorts of shit now!

Salsa

well im done with my first taste of the game

e853ca5fbdd97f393b650a00202d8d37dbc853ff.PNG

..lol

nonstop since i launched it, its fucking 7 AM D:

i guess i need to sleep

edit: also before i head to bed, if someone is experiencing the same graphical issues with the shadows i posted 2 pages back (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30389825&postcount=6510) do let me know.

im trying to work out if its an issue with my rig in particular or if its normal, cause im seeing shit like this in a lot of games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Did not miss out. Entire time from that last post until now was spent in the police station. Still had to snoop around to get into offices and complete secondary objectives for side quest. Had to cold clock some police officers, but hey..... they were watching me. Have to return to get into the armory later, as well.

Ken

Ferrio said:
So is there any point upgrading extra energy cells? I mean you have to eat stuff to regen them... so if you don't have food stuffs ( I don't think I have much) it's useless.
I currently have 4 energy cells, which is handy for keeping the cloak augment up longer if you have it. 7 seconds with 1 energy cell IIRC. Made skipping some later encounters with a ton of enemies really easy. I've also had times where I needed to melee multiple enemies grouped together, so extra energy cells and the multiple takedown augment was helpful. Of course, you could go with 1 energy cell and in between melees, go to your item wheel, eat a candy bar and melee again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ferrio said:

edit: Also I had item highlighting off accidentally... I'm finding all sorts of shit now!

You regen the first cell back, so I haven't been focusing on it at when I can just be patient. If I come against 3 people I usually use the tranq gun, switch out to the stun gun, take down the third.

Clevinger

See You Next Wednesday said:
The town parts are RPG, the combat parts are FPS. It's an apt comparison.

I don't really hate this game, just very disappointed that they only really nailed one part of the game.

Wha? What about the combat skills you invest in and can utilize in battle? Those don't count for RPG-ness?

EatChildren

The
Applegarden pods
are completely fucked for me. Every second I spend there is a gamble as to whether or not the game will randomly glitch up and crash, one crash of which caused my system to lock up.

Boo.

red731

^As killing people in the beginning is denying you to get the stealth trophy then yes, you can sneak around them.

JaseC said:
This is going to be either AMD's or nVidia's next slogan.
Time to register and copyright it then :D

Top Bottom