• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

webrunner

Anyone notice that if you're in a 3rd person conversation, both the person and Adam move around a lot? Like they need to go to the bathroom or itchy or something.

Solo

webrunner said:
Anyone notice that if you're in a 3rd person conversation, both the person and Adam move around a lot? Like they need to go to the bathroom or itchy or something.

The animation in the game sucks

webrunner said:
Yeah. It doesn't help that the animations are really stiff and terrible looking. They should shoot for motion capture next time.

ctrayne

webrunner said:
Yeah - that is the only thing that has bothered me in the game. Everything else is so classy and slick.

webrunner said:

Jensen crosses his arms all sassy-like CONSTANTLY

Gila

Alright, about 2 hours into the game

Is it just me or do you guys have a hard time hacking too? Like you always get caught, but you can still finish it? I have yet to finish one hacking without getting red...

Pete Rock

webrunner said:
What are you talking about?

/shifts weight distribution to rear leg while crossing arms over chest

It's easier if you don't pay attention to it but yeah, the lack of discrete response animations starts to show after the first few dialog trees.

Anyone know the passcode for this Detroit safe?
Laura Vale's safe behind the painting. She has a computer next to it that has e-mails about election conspiracy. Don't have lvl 3 hacking yet :/ Will get it next!

Gila said:
Alright, about 2 hours into the game

Is it just me or do you guys have a hard time hacking too? Like you always get caught, but you can still finish it? I have yet to finish one hacking without getting red...
Yeah, that's normal. Your chance of getting detected is no lower than 60% without augs (from what I've seen) so it makes sense. As long as you're finishing it before the timer runs out I don't think it matters.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Question (minor spoiler about getting into a place in the first city hub):

The room with the lasers near the basket ball court, which is the storage for the weapons dealer, where do you go to disable the lasers? I found a pocket secretary with two codes, one for the door to the storage and one for the security system (assuming they mean the lasers) but I can't find the place to input the second code.

Carm

webrunner said:

First thing that popped in my head seeing it was The Witcher. It was pretty bad about that, never looked right.

Macattk15

Oh god how many sidequests are in Detroit? I've completed Motherly Ties and Cloak and Dagger ... there must be more ... I don't wanna leave yet!

jorgeton

Heavy said:
Praxis points are a rare commodity and there's so many other augs I wanna try. It's not fair! WAaaaaaah! :(

God, I agree. I've spent 4 Praxis points on hacking so far, would rather have used those on something cool.. like the 2-4-1 melee boost, or the leg augments. But when I see a locked door I have an uncontrollable urge to crack it open and loot the room. It drives me crazy if I don't.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
jorgeton said:
God, I agree. I've spent 4 Praxis points on hacking so far, would rather have used those on something cool.. like the 2-4-1 melee boost, or the leg augments. But when I see a locked door I have an uncontrollable urge to crack it open and loot the room. It drives me crazy if I don't.
Remember, the option to use a frag grenade is always there. XD

itxaka

Defeatist
Minsc said:
Such a strange problem. The Witcher 2 uses huge 2-4GB+ files to store its data and has no load times for the most part. Same for a 7zip archive, it could have 100,000s of files, but any file in it can be accessed instantly. Oblivion does this too (and probably Fallout 3), and there's no problems with loading times. It may have something to do with the way this game specifically treats the file containers, but in general, it's a much nicer way to put game data on HDDs imo and I vastly prefer it. A Vamprye Story, on the other hand, uses well over 10,000 individual files and takes forever to delete compared to how fast it'd go if it packed the files in to a few larger files.

Unless the file containers are heavily compressed with algorithms that are very inefficient at decoding, I'd be a bit skeptical that unpacking them would make any difference, though it's something that would be worth exploring if it is possible.

The Witcher 1 was able to cut its load times to like 1/5th or more in the EE, maybe something similar is possible here too.

Actually, the bigfile.001 is a compressed file and probably heavily compressed. You can open it with 7zip and it grows from 2Gb to 5,8Gb which is probably where the problem comes from.

I guess they could always release a patch that allows you to have them uncompressed instead.

Finally, the game is on its way to me via Amazon UK (Augmented Edition). Won't have much time to play on Friday but it's a 3 day weekend here in Blighty so plenty of time yet to come. This'll be soooo much fun!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My copy is out for delivery today, so it should be waiting for me by the time I get home. Looking forward to finally getting my hands on it.

Of course, after checking the specs on my laptop, I discovered that I could run it with no problems. I'm thinking of investing in The Witcher 2...

jorgeton said:
Yep, there's been a few doors already that are security level 3 that I can't get into so I'm gonna have to blow a point there and miss out on some of the cooler augs like lift heavy objects, break through walls, speech, and so on. There's also the stealth hacking augs which are pretty much a requirement along with the security level hacking augs so that's A LOT of points into hacking right there... 2 trees just for hacking. Can't always find the passcode sitting on an adjacent desk.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
GrandHarrier said:
gqMrQ.jpg

Oh God, Mei. What happened to you.
e9Gin.jpg

Early on in the game, where about are the
Hostages during the purist mission? Do I have to save that woman first (thorpe) then move onto to the hostages?

flipswitch said:
Early on in the game, where about are the
Hostages during the purist mission? Do I have to save that woman first (thorpe) then move onto to the hostages?
The woman is at the end of the mission, don't worry about that. The hostages are in an upstairs room above a large room with dual stairs. Wait... how do you know about the Thorpe woman if you haven't met the hostages yet?

Marco1

With all the reports of long loading on the PC, is it worse or better on xbox360 installed ?
I have not opened my PC version yet but willing to exchange to 360 version if it's better.
Thanks.

I was loving this game, but... holy shit, this second boss fight.
I didn't take lungs, so this is grade-A horseshit. I can't do anything once the floor is electrocuted - there's no safe area, from what I can see.

Pete Rock

epmode said:
I kind of wish you can get XP from entering a password since I really like typing in the stupid passwords.
I kind of wish the goddamn things would just auto-fill once you have them discovered. What is the utility in having to manually transcribe the information when it's displayed right next to it? You already hacked a terminal/stunned the guy & read the email/checked his pocket secretary so what's the goddamn point already? One of the few decisions I found to be outright silly.

Heavy said:
The woman is at the end of the mission, don't worry about that. The hostages are in an upstairs room above a large room with dual stairs. Wait... how do you know about the Thorpe woman if you haven't met the hostages yet?

I've played the preview build of the game.

Carm

Marco1 said:
With all the reports of long loading on the PC, is it worse or better on xbox360 installed ?
I have not opened my PC version yet but willing to exchange to 360 version if it's better.
Thanks.

Even though loading times and other issues exists, there is no way I'd ever pick a console version over a pc version, except in the case of extremely flawed pc ports.

charsace

MrCompletely said:
Sucks is strong, but its certainly inconsistent. The takedown animations, landing augmentation animation, and weapon reloads look great.
Its weird. I think Jensen's battle animations, especially the fall landing animation, and when you are dealing with sarif are great, then some are ok, then the rest or not good. Maybe it was budget or time issues?

MrCompletely said:
Sucks is strong, but its certainly inconsistent. The takedown animations, landing augmentation animation, and weapon reloads look great.

The canned animations look good, but the general gameplay stuff can be real weak.

Pete Rock said:
I kind of wish the goddamn things would just auto-fill once you have them discovered. What is the utility in having to manually transcribe the information when it's displayed right next to it? You already hacked a terminal/stunned the guy & read the email/checked his pocket secretary so what's the goddamn point already? One of the few decisions I found to be outright silly.

I really like that feature. :(

abunai

vcassano1 said:
Seriously, what purpoise does it serve to unlock this at midnight? It just pisses people off.

What purpose is a staggered release date in the first place >:|

hope my copy arrives early tomorrow, still excited

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Gustav said:
anyone else experiencing a weird graphical glitch where a horizontal line moves in tandem with the character? It's always a few feet in front of me.
I have this. I'm gonna try to mess with graphics settings when I get home tonight to get rid of it. It wasn't in the preview build.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Getting the "radar upgrade" actually made it worse for me. It's really hard to tell which way the arrows are facing now that it's zoomed out so far... and if there are more than 5 enemies in a small space, it's completely useless as it's just a solid mass of pixels.

I wish you could toggle the zoom on it.

Also- displaying your footsteps' sound radius is the most useless aug in the game. It also turns off or is so small it's irrelevant once you get the radar upgrade.

abunai

Akuun said:
I have this. I'm gonna try to mess with graphics settings when I get home tonight to get rid of it. It wasn't in the preview build.

From that description it sounds like a lack of anisotropic filtering

Salsa

this guy has a solid point really:

Why does the game exempt boss fights and NOT these guys? The whole point of the prologue is that you are the security officer protecting the labs you are paid to protect, so why the heck would you sneak around and evade the attackers you are supposed to be repelling?

Basically, the only way to get the pacifist achievement is to break immersion by hiding from the men you should be engaging for the safety of your co-workers and employer.

ACESmkII said:
I absolutely love this game!!!

It's fantastic playing a game this generation that provides a solid challenge and does not hold your hand in doing so.

The art design is phenomenal as well.

Potential GOTY.
One mans challenge is anothers frustration though...

The giant bomb dudes recommended possibly playing on easy and made out the ai & boss fights come over as frustrating as opposed to challenging.

My gaming time is limited as is, so I was thinking maybe easy for my run...

Not decided yet... Thoughts Gaf?

Top Bottom