• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So it seems the patch reduced loading times across the board, but they're still longer if you have v-sync enabled compared to without.

A quick load took me 16 sec (v-sync on) vs 10 sec (v-sync off), going to a new, large area took 10 sec (v-sync on) vs 6 sec (v-sync off).

It's a pretty significant difference that'll add up, but tearing bugs the shit out of me. Choices choices...

cackhyena

Funny, as I was stopping play last night, i was noticing the download for the patch was just wrapping up. Like 1 in the morning or something. I just missed it. My load times are about 11 to 15 seconds max in transition areas on my SSD. Wonder if the patch is gonna improve on that.

coopolon

I don't really understand the hacking failure consequences. When I fail it says access denied and I have ti dosconnect, then wait 30 seconds before I can hack it again. But it never takes away any of my # of allowed attempts?

ExMachina said:
So it seems the patch reduced loading times across the board, but they're still longer if you have v-sync enabled compared to without.

A quick load took me 16 sec (v-sync on) vs 10 sec (v-sync off), going to a new, large area took 10 sec (v-sync on) vs 6 sec (v-sync off).

It's a pretty significant difference that'll add up, but tearing bugs the shit out of me. Choices choices...

Try just using triple buffering? That's what Im using.

Enco said:
:lol what's your play time.
vaelic said:
how many hours?

32 Hours. As said previously by others, you can view all the endings if you complete all the secondary missions in the last level. You will be given a "choice" on what ending you want to get, depending on if you have completed the secondary mission if I am correct (won't make sense to provide you with multiple endings if you haven't completed the secondary missions). After finishing it once, I just load the last autosave and picked the other endings.

My favorite ending was (ENDING SPOILER)
destroying the base, killing everyone in it. Fuck it, every one of them is a fucking prick. Let people figure it out for themselves what happened. The other endings were not "Jensen"-esque i.e. I don't think Jensen will try to come in the way of people discovering it for themselves, since he himself discovered the truth by looking for answers.

Also, GOTY related:
Is it just me or Megan Reed is related to Janice Reed?

Paches

cackhyena said:
Funny, as I was stopping play last night, i was noticing the download for the patch was just wrapping up. Like 1 in the morning or something. I just missed it. My load times are about 11 to 15 seconds max in transition areas on my SSD. Wonder if the patch is gonna improve on that.

Yeah, 15 or so seconds was what I was getting with my SSD as well, I hope it at least drop to about the 5-8 range. I could usually alt tab and check a couple things quickly while loading :p

coopolon said:
I don't really understand the hacking failure consequences. When I fail it says access denied and I have ti dosconnect, then wait 30 seconds before I can hack it again. But it never takes away any of my # of allowed attempts?

If time runs out access is denied and can trigger alarms/guards. Disconnecting before time runs out takes away a chance to gain access.

shagg_187 said:
32 Hours. As said previously by others, you can view all the endings if you complete all the secondary missions in the last level. You will be given a "choice" on what ending you want to get, depending on if you have completed the secondary mission if I am correct (won't make sense to provide you with multiple endings if you haven't completed the secondary missions). After finishing it once, I just load the last autosave and picked the other endings.

My favorite ending was (ENDING SPOILER)
destroying the base, killing everyone in it. Fuck it, every one of them is a fucking prick. Let people figure it out for themselves what happened. The other endings were not "Jensen"-esque i.e. I don't think Jensen will try to come in the way of people discovering it for themselves, since he himself discovered the truth by looking for answers.

Also, GOTY related:
Is it just me or Megan Reed is related to Janice Reed?
Yup that is the one I went with, I think it fit perfectly. I already started a new game over my last save so I need to beat it again to see the other endings.

alphaNoid

Banned
Paches-EJ- said:
Yeah, 15 or so seconds was what I was getting with my SSD as well, I hope it at least drop to about the 5-8 range. I could usually alt tab and check a couple things quickly while loading :p
I cannot wait to check, I was getting about 15 seconds prior.. hoping for <8 now.

Dakota47

Twinduct said:
Just no ..... ..

OT: Will only play tomorrow .. yay for work and stuff :<

I will play for just a little tonight. I want to try it out. I've set my curfew at 1 o'clock, so that's probably about half an hour of playing time knowing how long Steam usually takes to unlock a game.

coopolon

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
If time runs out access is denied and can trigger alarms/guards. Disconnecting before time runs out takes away a chance to gain access.

Ohh, if it triggered ana larm or something I'd know though right? I hope all the times I've failed haven't screwed up my attempt at no alarms.

coopolon said:
Ohh, if it triggered ana larm or something I'd know though right? I hope all the times I've failed haven't screwed up my attempt at no alarms.

Yea, in friendly areas it won't trigger anything, such as Sarif Industries. If you trigger an alarm it will usually say "ALARMED" above the radar. I'm not sure if it matters if a guard is in the area or not. I haven't quite figured it out but in later playthroughs triggering access denied has resulted in alarm status.

Blizzard

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Give me a minute. I'll run the game and tell you exactly what order you need to spend them.

P.S. 32 hours on "Give me a challenge" difficulty.
Just in case I missed it, are you guys going from the Steam time, or is there an ingame tracker? I don't trust Steam's time for some games.

Salsa

Enco said:
Does v sync make a big diff in this game? I know some games are no diff without it.

my tearing is terrible without it, im forcing through the nvidia panel though

there's some nasty input lag attached to it but its work sacrificing since the game doesnt exactly require quick aiming reflexes if youre playing stealthy.

Desaan

Ferrio said:
I have yet to hear anyone in this thread who uses the Typhoon? How deadly is it?

It's totally OP, what where they thinking?

ef_bomb_2_20071121.jpg

So that patch really helped with the load times (like 6-10 seconds fast now!) but I have a huge problem now for some reason...

Whenever I bring up the Steam overlay, the screen starts flickering like mad. Also, in-game, Jensen's body is constantly flicking too.

Help me, GAF.

Blizzard said:
Just in case I missed it, are you guys going from the Steam time, or is there an ingame tracker? I don't trust Steam's time for some games.
Steam time. I don't think there is an in-game tracker... or is there?

I didn't sleep for 24 hours straight while playing the game, and then played for the 4 to 6 hours the last few days so it makes... sense I guess.

Paches

coopolon said:

It only takes away a chance if you disconnect from it.

Blizzard

Banned
TenshiOni said:
So that patch really helped with the load times (like 6-10 seconds fast now!) but I have a huge problem now for some reason...

Whenever I bring up the Steam overlay, the screen starts flickering like mad. Also, in-game, Jensen's body is constantly flicking too.

Help me, GAF.
Do you have updated video card drivers? If you turn off the Steam overlay for Deus Ex HR and run it, does that fix it? Are you running ingame vsync and triple buffering (if not try turning them both on).

plc268

I'm not that far into DXHR, and I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but goddamn, nearly every character I talk to is a freaking bobblehead. It's so damn distracting...

Clydefrog

plc268 said:
I'm not that far into DXHR, and I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but goddamn, nearly every character I talk to is a freaking bobblehead. It's so damn distracting...

I liked it when I talked to a lady sitting on a bench. She started to talking to me and then mid-sentence started drinking her coffee while still talking to me! Ventriliquist!

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
This is probably the first game I have such a hard time to spend points. I received my first praxis point a hour ago and I'm still idling in the augmentations menu.

kamorra said:
Which is the best way to spend points if I just want to be a non-stealth Terminator?

Alright. Let's do this. These are the upgrades that you NEED to max out no matter what. Alternate between them all so you get a taste of it all. Ordered from most important to least important.

1. Hacking: Capture (Mandatory upgrade if you want to get the hidden weapons and go through doors that you would normally not get access to, and make sure the sentry bots are on your side when they do spawn. No terminator is complete without the "machines" on his side).

2. Hacking Stealth (Another mandatory upgrade if you want to prevent being caught in the hacking side of the hurdles, so you can hack with ease without worrying about failing at it).

3. Dermal Armor (A few bullets can kill you without this upgrade. With it, you can take around 5-10 seconds of live fire without going for cover).

4. Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis (Ultimate choice for any terminator. No ruthless killer is complete without the ability to smash the walls, carry heavy objects, have a bigger backpack for more arsenal and reducing the weapon recoil).

5. Sarif Series 8 Energy Convertor (Every action takes energy. You don't want to wait for it to slowly recharge so this will help you recharge the bar quicker while ensuring you have enough bars to take down 5 enemies or walls).

6. Aim Stabilizer (Terminators have no lack of accuracy. Upgrade this to get pin-point killing precision).

7. Icarus Landing System (Don't want to be laughed at when you jump from a roof to take out ten guys. Use this to land like a boss!).

BONUS: Typhoon Explosive System (Great way to get away from enemies if they surround you, but c'mon... You're a terminator! No one would dare surrounding you. Still, you will have a dozen more Praxis left in the end so upgrade this).

Blizzard said:
You can always lower to easy if you play a while on normal and it's too frustrating, or start on easy but then change it up to normal later. Since the game is supposed to be 15-25 hours long at least, I guess you could start on easy if you're really trying to rush it with limited time. *shrug*

Yay for the quick patch. I wasn't expecting mouse consistency improvements, so it's nice to see them listening to such complaints.
Ooh you can change difficulty mid game? I like it more already! Problem solved then!

Mindlog

The bosses I've played so far were pretty easy. Cloaking and shock sticks are pretty handy. Mines even more. The big guns they give you right before also help.

Anyone know where to find, Zelazny? Butcher Shop guy.
This is the mission you receive at a LIMB clinic. A man wants you to track down a heavily augmented 'rogue' soldier. I found the dead soldier at the back of the butcher shop. His secretary mentions the group moving underground. I checked one of the sewers and its full of enemies. Do I have to wade through that?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
shagg_187 said:
Alright. Let's do this. These are the upgrades that you NEED to max out no matter what.

1. Hacking: Capture (Mandatory upgrade if you want to get the hidden weapons and go through doors that you would normally not get access to, and make sure the sentry bots are on your side when they do spawn. No terminator is complete without the "machines" on his side).

2. Hacking Stealth (Another mandatory upgrade if you want to prevent being caught in the hacking side of the hurdles, so you can hack with ease without worrying about failing at it).

3. Dermal Armor (A few bullets can kill you without this upgrade. With it, you can take around 5-10 seconds of live fire without going for cover).

4. Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis (Ultimate choice for any terminator. No ruthless killer is complete without the ability to smash the walls, carry heavy objects, have a bigger backpack for more arsenal and reducing the weapon recoil).

5. Sarif Series 8 Energy Convertor (Every action takes energy. You don't want to wait for it to slowly recharge so this will help you recharge the bar quicker while ensuring you have enough bars to take down 5 enemies or walls).

6. Aim Stabilizer (Terminators have no lack of accuracy. Upgrade this to get pin-point killing precision).

7. Icarus Landing System (Don't want to be laughed at when you jump from a roof to take out ten guys. Use this to land like a boss!).

BONUS: Typhoon Explosive System (Great way to get away from enemies if they surround you, but c'mon... You're a terminator! No one would dare surrounding you. Still, you will have a dozen more Praxis left in the end so upgrade this).

Fantastic, thank you so much! No one will stop me now
except Sarah Connor

chris121580

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Let's do this. These are the upgrades that you NEED to max out no matter what. Alternate between them all so you get a taste of it all. Ordered from most important to least important.

I've found that Icarus Landing is pretty huge to have early on

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
BigJiantRobut said:
Or very silly, depending on how well you pull it off

If I could grow facial hair, I'd probably go to Phoenix Comic-Con next year as Jenson. As it stands I can't grow more than peach fuzz even at 21 :p

Consequently what's a good pure stealth/non-lethal build? I'm fairly early on (just completed the first mission and entered the Detroit hub) and have hacking up to level 3 at the moment. I also invested in the Social Interaction aug. I have some ideas on which direction I want to go but any specific paths/trees you folks recommend?

Blizzard said:
Do you have updated video card drivers? If you turn off the Steam overlay for Deus Ex HR and run it, does that fix it? Are you running ingame vsync and triple buffering (if not try turning them both on).
Drivers are updated.

Checked Eidos' official forum for the game, though, and it looks like I'm not alone and my problem is Crossfire related. Sure enough, when I disable Crossfire the flickering goes away. It also looks like the in-game flickering goes away if I just talk to a NPC. Weird.

I'll live with the Steam overlay being off until they fix this for Crossfire users, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions though, Blizzard.

Blizzard

Banned
TenshiOni said:
Drivers are updated.

Checked Eidos' official forum for the game, though, and it looks like I'm not alone and my problem is Crossfire related. Sure enough, when I disable Crossfire the flickering goes away. It also looks like the in-game flickering goes away if I just talk to a NPC. Weird.

I'll live with the Steam overlay being off until they fix this for Crossfire users, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions though, Blizzard.
Good job fixing it. I guess one comfort is that you can probably run the game just fine on one GPU if you prefer.

Top Bottom