• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Mindlog said:
The bosses I've played so far were pretty easy. Cloaking and shock sticks are pretty handy. Mines even more. The big guns they give you right before also help.

Anyone know where to find, Zelazny? Butcher Shop guy.
This is the mission you receive at a LIMB clinic. A man wants you to track down a heavily augmented 'rogue' soldier. I found the dead soldier at the back of the butcher shop. His secretary mentions the group moving underground. I checked one of the sewers and its full of enemies. Do I have to wade through that?

Is that side mission Detroit 2 or Shanghai 2?

If they are patching so fast (even before EU launch) IMO it means the game sold really well on the PC and warrants this kind of support.

I hope to god this is true! (I bought the PS3 version, still).

StoppedInTracks said:
Adam's clothing makes for easy and bad-ass cosplay.

You're in luck! Just pay $189.99! (lol)

http://us.deusex-store.com/product/EGX-D3_COAT-VT-001_Trenchcoat

Qwomo said:
017bcb36b55b2e8e25c6d2136e4662fac5a99dea.jpg

I'm serious! None of them frustrated me for some reason. Here's how I defeated them:

First Boss: Berrett - RUN! Make sure you can carry heavy objects. While you run to the corner rooms, you will see barrels on your way. Pick them up and hide in the corner. Wait for him to go on search mode and surprise him by throwing a barrel at him, exploding on impact. A few more barrels with some machine gun blindfire/coverfire will take him out.

Second Boss: Federova - RUN MORE! Make sure you have EMP Mines on you. Keep on running in circle while listening to Eliza as she will tell you when she will attack and from where. Throw some EMPs and equip machine gun or heavy rifle. When she lands on EMP, shoot! When she shows up and you have no EMP, keep on running away until she explodes the typhoon and then turn, shoot and run again. Continue until she falls.

Third Boss: Namir - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! Make sure by now your sniper rifle has a laser scope and your aim stabilizer and Cybernetic Arm Prosthetic upgrade are maxed out. Hide in the corners of the map until he appears. Shoot with sniper rifle without scoping, and run again. Rinse, Repeat, He'll die.

Final Boss: Zhao - HIDE!!! Make sure you have Sniper rifle ammo and couple of EMP grenades. Either that or you have loads of Nuke viruses, and that Hacking: Capture and Hacking: Stealth are maxed out. Right when the battle starts, run to the very first station in front of you. Hack using Nuke viruses and you should be able to successfully hack the machine before the bot shoots you. If you fail, restart. Took me a couple of tries before I got the first hack without getting shot at. You WILL get shot at no matter what so ensure hack is complete before that. Get in the machine again, and open the first chamber. Shoot her with sniper rifle and she should die. Run to far right and break the walls down to enter the second chamber. Soldiers should appear. Kill them with sniper rifle and proceed hacking with Nuke as you did before. The last girl, you can kill by throwing EMP grenade which will short circuit the chamber and open it. Shoot her with sniper and she should die. Bots will show up, throw some EMP or Frag grenades (or Plasma rifle if you picked it up before entering the battle zone). Zhao's shields will go down, shoot her some more and she'll die.

Unless of course somethings that I did here WILL BE CHANGED AFTER PATCH, the boss battles were a lot of fun lol. Very MGS-esque!

Zeliard

Heavy said:
Praxis points are a rare commodity and there's so many other augs I wanna try. It's not fair! WAaaaaaah! :(

I found a Praxis point holder thingy (I forget what they call them) in Detroit in one of the apartment buildings, as I recall. The door is sealed with a level 5 lock. I'm curious how many more of those are laying around. As you can imagine, finding a free Praxis point just sitting there is quite beneficial.

Also prior to facing the first boss, instead of sneaking around the facility (which I did do some of), I simply did the classic
hacking a turret through a computer to have it target enemies and then just hung out as the turret did all the work for me.
Saw nothing but MAN DOWN (10) AND MARKSMAN (10) rolling down the side of my screen. It was so glorious. Afterwards I could just stroll around at my leisure.

So basically, upgrade that hacking ability! :p

I also got the ability to punch through walls late in Detroit, and my very first (and so far only) use of it was highly memorable. It was during the Cloak and Daggers side quest in Detroit, where you're tasked with taking out Double-T and his posse. I punched through a wall there and
it ended up being located right behind Double-T, and Jensen did this this awesome animation where he just totally laid Double-T out after bashing the wall in. It also functions as a stealth attack - which is amusing considering how violent and loud it is - so the rest of his guys are left going "huh? wha?" as you get away.

By the way, this is what a vulnerable wall looks like for those of you with no object highlighting (aka cool people):

99q3w6.jpg

As you can see, you can definitely notice them if you simply look at your environment.

Having a lovely time with this game, and I've also been fortunate not to be hampered by some of the tech issues some others have (loading times are horrific though). I'm about done with Detroit and ready to go to Shanghai. My most recent save is literally me standing right outside of the helicopter next to Malik, ready to leave.

My only issue is... is it just me or are there only like three side quests in Detroit? They're all lengthy enough and feature several steps, but I was surprised by how few there were ultimately. I've got
three listed on the verge of leaving Detroit, not counting "Paging Adam Jensen" which wasn't really a quest, and "Voices From The Dark," which is Zeke hooking you up with some info if you didn't kill him. The three actual side quests I got are Lesser Evils, Motherly Ties, and Cloaks and Daggers.
Are those the only ones or did I miss any?

chris121580 said:
I've found that Icarus Landing is pretty huge to have early on

Icarus is indeed huge but there are no limitations at what you can do without it. Of course, I recommend alternating between these upgrades and by the time you need Icarus, you will be jumping from the buildings like a cat and have enough Praxis to support it lol.

Icarus is needed a lot during China for it's tight neighborhood and a lot of rooftops so by then you should have it.

solarus

I have a question for everyone who has played the original deus ex. Since this is a prequel is it fine if I play this game first then the original? I've had the original in my backlog for quite some time but haven't found the chance to play it, but having seen this game I would much rather dive into this first. Would it ruin the experience for me if I play this first or would it ruin whatever the *twist* is in the original as well as other plot elements?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is just anecdotal, but it's pretty awesome to see every online person on my friends list playing this game, like 12 dudes at the same time. I've never seen that happen except for maybe Portal 2. It's nice to know it could be selling pretty well on PC.

Mindlog

blahblah...blah said:
Is that side mission Detroit 2 or Shanghai 2?
That latter. Shanghai 2.

shagg_187 said:
boss advice
I have only fought two, but here's what I did.

#1 Shock Stick then pour on upgraded shotgun rounds. Apply cloak when necessary to break aggro.
#2 Stay put along the outside. Mine both approaches. Heavy Rifle after stun.

I'm playing as a non-lethal stealth character. If I get the time for another playthrough I am going in terminator style on hard. Should be even easier.

got a chance to finally play a bit more, first time since launch night.
So I managed to beat the first level with all the tutorials. So far I'm enjoying it, I like the slower pace forced by me taking my time to really look at the situation.
But as far as Augs I'm a blank slate.
I had to be careful because it's easy to get shot up early on I feel, especially without any armour augs.

Oh, and I get a feeling the bobble-head will start to bother me. So few games have general talking-idle animations figured out. Witcher 2 has done that the best for me so far, the animation during talk scenes, while canned and reused the whole game, is interesting and polished (especially with camera cuts during long speeches.)

Psyched to be home, it being friday and all.

Darklord

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
What is really weird is that I cannot see DX:HR in Steam's Top Sellers list (1-20) :'(

It's updated once a week I think. Too soon. It's the 4th highest played game today. Only CS and TF2 beat it.

Edit: Wait, it's the top seller. What are you talking about?

solarus said:
I have a question for everyone who has played the original deus ex. Since this is a prequel is it fine if I play this game first then the original? I've had the original in my backlog for quite some time but haven't found the chance to play it, but having seen this game I would much rather dive into this first. Would it ruin the experience for me if I play this first or would it ruin whatever the *twist* is in the original as well as other plot elements?

They obviously took care of that for new players, so my guess is you have nothing to worry about. Just play DX1 after you finish HR.

Blizzard

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
What is really weird is that I cannot see DX:HR in Steam's Top Sellers list (1-20) :'(
It's #1 in the US currently, and I thought it had been there or near the top even before release.

Zeliard said:
I also got the ability to punch through walls late in Detroit, and my very first (and so far only) use of it was highly memorable. It was during the Cloak and Daggers side quest in Detroit, where you're tasked with taking out Double-T and his posse. I punched through a wall there and
it ended up being located right behind Double-T, and Jensen did this this awesome animation where he just totally laid Double-T out after bashing the wall in. It also functions as a stealth attack - which is amusing considering how violent and loud it is - so the rest of his guys are left going "huh? wha?" as you get away.

Cloak and Dagger was definitely the mission where I finally gave in to Jensen's badassery, especially this particular section. Took me a few tries to perfect badassery.
Equip Frag and Tranquilizer Dart. Walk across the hallway while blindly throwing the frag and proceeding to smash the wall. Killed the guy behind it, pulled out Tranq, shot Double-T and without giving a fuck made my way out in the hallway with a shotgun, pounding anything that burst out of the door.

So fucking good! :lol

MisterAnderson said:
Energy level/recharge upgrades...Worth it?

Recharge upgrade: YES! You need every bit of energy and slow recharge can be a different between getting your ass kicked and knocking off a guy, dragging his body and throwing it off the roof.

Energy level: just get one extra bar. If you have recharge upgrade, it's basically gets close to the speed shield recharges in Halo, which is fairly fast.

Angst

Darklord said:
It's updated once a week I think. Too soon. It's the 4th highest played game today. Only CS and TF2 beat it.

Not in my Steam? But I'm sure it's not updated as the Railworks 2 DLC cannot possibly have sold more than Deus Ex.

Darklord said:

Doh! of course, I was looking from an EU account. Silly me.

But, as others mentions, it is up there on the 'people currently playing' page.

Zeliard

shagg_187 said:
Cloak and Dagger was definitely the mission where I finally gave in to Jensen's badassery, especially this particular section. Took me a few tries to perfect badassery.

Equip Frag and Tranquilizer Dart. Walk across the hallway while blindly throwing the frag and proceeding to smash the wall. Killed the guy behind it, pulled out Tranq, shot Double-T and without giving a fuck made my way out in the hallway with a shotgun, pounding anything that burst out of the door.

So fucking good! :lol

It's been the only mission so far I've had where you're explicitly tasked with taking enemies out. You definitely don't have to kill them but you do have to neutralize them in one way or another, so it's the first time you get to really unleash.

Enco

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to stealth it up or go bad ass.

Might stealth as a basis and go bad ass in the area when caught. Hmm...

Clevinger said:

Relax it cannot be a top seller in Europe AS IT IS NOT OUT YET ZOMG.

I looked at Steam's US page and it is TOP SELLER and without any discounts to boot!

Extremely impressive. I hope Eidos notices and treats THIAF's PC version with the same respect.

Drewsky

I just now entered the code for the Tactical Enhancement pack or whatever, but I've already finished the first part of the game. Can I still get the stuff?

Zeliard

Enco said:
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to stealth it up or go bad ass.

Might stealth as a basis and go bad ass in the area when caught. Hmm...

I started off non-lethal stealth but mixing things up is too much fun. I'm playing Jensen as a guy who typically does the right thing but is super-detached and cold, and won't hesitate to ram an elbow-knife through someone's liver.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I started off non-lethal stealth but mixing things up is too much fun. I'm playing Jensen as a guy who typically does the right thing but is super-detached and cold, and won't hesitate to ram an elbow-knife through someone's liver.

I don't know how anyone could say no to punching through a wall to fuck up someone's day. Plus I mean I don't want to waste any of Sarif's money on putting elbow swords in my robot arms. They're in there for a reason.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Alright, been playing for a few hours and i love it. I dont want to really read too much of this thread for fear of spoilers, but have one question for those further along in the game. Are more augmentations unlocked as i progress or are the ones i see from the beginning all there is? Not looking for any details if here are. Just curious.

Enco

Zeliard said:
Sounds good to me.

I assume there are non lethal melee attacks? Just asking because in all the vids I've seen he has those cool blades.

Drewsky

Enco said:
Sounds good to me.

I assume there are non lethal melee attacks? Just asking because in all the vids I've seen he has those cool blades.
Yeah, holding the melee kills and pressing knocks them out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:

I like this. Stealth is always plan A, since it's much more effective than shooting my way to the objective, but I'm not afraid to leave leave a few corpses in my wake. Usually I'll KO an enemy, then drag him to a hidden area (like a vent) and finish him off with a silenced 10mm shot to the dome.

Maybe next time I'll do a ghost/non-lethal run, but it feels much better to go with whatever is right for the moment, instead of forcing myself to play a specific way.

StoppedInTracks said:

Umm.. it's the number one best seller on Steam and has been for several weeks. It hit number one shortly after it went up for pre-order and has been bouncing in and out of number one for a while.

charsace

StoppedInTracks said:
I'm hoping this sells over half a million for launch. And can then hit 2million at least. Maybe that will get these guys an even bigger budget?

Darklord

Banned
charsace said:
I'm hoping this sells over half a million for launch. And can then hit 2million at least. Maybe that will get these guys an even bigger budget?

Maybe they can hire some animation artists then.

Blizzard

Banned
One stupid question about combat, since people were mentioning punching. Is there any way to melee or hit guys if you're out of energy, or is your one-bar (knockout/kill) takedown the only option if you don't want to use a tranq dart or bullet?

Ken

Blizzard said:
One stupid question about combat, since people were mentioning punching. Is there any way to melee or hit guys if you're out of energy, or is your one-bar (knockout/kill) takedown the only option if you don't want to use a tranq dart or bullet?

I don't think there's a regular melee button.

Is there a way to silently take out the small patrol mechs?

bathala

Banned
Grisby said:
Is there an Aug to walk over electricity? I didn't see it in the menu.
This bothered me, because of the 2 side missions in detroit. Couldn't cross it

Improvise: Got extra strength aug moved some trash bins by the fence next to the alley and police station

Zeliard

Enco said:
Sounds good to me.

Yep, you've got your lethal and non-lethal CQC.

I get a kick out of the fact that you can upgrade your basic 10mm throughout the game just like in the first one. Right now my 10mm is equipped with an armor-piercing system, a laser sight and a silencer, as well as a couple of other upgrades to stuff like clip size.

Snuggler said:
I like this. Stealth is always plan A, since it's much more effective than shooting my way to the objective, but I'm not afraid to leave leave a few corpses in my wake. Usually I'll KO an enemy, then drag him to a hidden area (like a vent) and finish him off with a silenced 10mm shot to the dome.

Maybe next time I'll do a ghost/non-lethal run, but it feels much better to go with whatever is right for the moment, instead of forcing myself to play a specific way.

Yep. I'm all about playing in-the-moment, not just what would be the best thing tactically, but also what's the most fun.

Blizzard said:

Yeah you can't melee at all without energy, so your only other option is to take them out some other way or ignore them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blizzard said:

The only alternative is to toss something at the enemy (or civilian). A well timed crate toss is an instakill.

charsace

Zeliard said:
I'm playing a Jensen that's out for revenge. There's no remorse and no mercy from me. I knock fools out and use them as bait to draw out my enemies, then I kill the knocked out dude anyways.

BigJiantRobut said:
Muahaha, just made the connection between
Sandoval's "Ezekiel" and Zeke. Nice.

Good catch with the name. I knew as soon as
Sandoval was in Sarif's lobby and told us about his 'friend' who went and shot up a shopping centre that he was in some way connected to Zeke (we were briefed before the first mission that this guy pulled out his augs because they made him do bad stuff) and I even clocked that Ezekiel was his brother based on talking him down from committing suicide, and reading the eBook in his secret bunker, but somehow the simple leap from Zeke to Ezekiel eluded me!

Top Bottom