• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Otheradam said:
Is there a consensus on which version is better? I'm deciding between PC and Xbox. I recently built a new PC and now don't know which version to get. Controller/keyboard don't matter to me as I can play with a controller on PC if I wanted to.

What's the specs on your rig?

BTW does anyone know if there is a password for every computer in the game?
Like I been through the FEMA facility & must have passed 8 PC terminals & didn't find any hidden passwords to them anywhere.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm finding 90 very comfortable on a 16:9 screen.

i just went up to 90.. and cut my mouse sensitivity up to close to half on X and Y and it feels much better in the control department.

I get some movement judder when turning, but it is much less noticeable at 90 FOV than it was at 75.

Zeliard

Amusing piece by Jim Rossignol of RPS on lethal vs. non-lethal in DX:HR:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/25/dxhr-violent-vs-non-violent-approaches/

His mentality pretty much mirrored my own so far, haha. I started off non-lethal because that felt more 'right' but eventually just said fuck it and started using my augs to a vindictive purpose. Why not, you're basically playing as Robocop. And as the writer elaborates on, "stealth" in Deus Ex does not necessarily mean "non-lethal" at all. Oh no.

RPS said:
It’s important to note, of course, that violence in DXHR does not mean that you dispense with stealth. Far from it. This is not a game that becomes a stand up shooter, even when you are are your most armoured, and most heavily armed. Rather, the point is that it enables you to become a nightmarish mechanical murderer, lurking behind corners, under windows, behind doors. You are still vulnerable to attack, but nevertheless a brutally efficient predator upon the hapless drones that are sent after you. I might not have been tranqing and stunning, but my stalking of my targets was no less stealthy, and no less exciting. Hell, I think some of the more brutal run-ins were some of the most cathartic moments I’ve experienced in a game of late, as my encounter with the mercenaries proved.

DXHR does offer you choice. One of those choice is to become a spear-armed cyber-murderer who would make half the protagonists of our blood-soaked game worlds shudder in disbelief. And, as a lifelong connoisseur of the imaginary violences, I’m definitely okay with that.

"Nightmarish mechanical murderer" are very apt words to describe a violent Adam Jensen. Fun bonuses to a lethal playthrough include turning turrets and robots on enemies from a comical distance away and just seeing the experience points pop up, then sauntering around freely looting all of the rooms and bodies.

Man the second boss is tearing me apart. I run out of ammo for the stupid heavy machine gun they give you and all my other guns are low ammo or useless. I really regret going for stealth now.

It's Alpha Protocol all over again dammit!

Zomba13

So... I just unlocked this on steam (UK here. I know it's late)

Um... It's not working. I got a bink.dll error
iy84V.png

right at the start after the logos and now when I start a new game it says this
xcbyt.png

Teknoman

Hope that new patch might have fixed the strange texture lines I get at times...

Having so much fun being an adaptive player. Stealthy, but when its time for action, i'm punching through walls and just found out the stun gun has range.

hamchan

I like knocking enemies out, dragging them away and then shooting them in the head so no one can hear. I do the same thing in MGS.

epmode

Zomba13 said:

http://i.imgur.com/iy84V.png
http://i.imgur.com/xcbyt.png
Verify the game files. Right-click the game in your Steam list > Properties >Local Files > Verify

edit: Rereading your problem, that might not fix it. Doesn't hurt to try though!

You might want to try updating to later/different video drivers. Or uninstalling and reinstalling the set you're already using.

edit edit: NEVERMIND, I don't think it has anything to do with your videocard.

Zomba13

epmode said:
Verify the game files. Right-click the game in your Steam list > Properties >Local Files > Verify
Will try that. It wanted me to defrag the game before playing so I thought that would have solved any problems.

Beelzeboss said:
Man the second boss is tearing me apart. I run out of ammo for the stupid heavy machine gun they give you and all my other guns are low ammo or useless. I really regret going for stealth now.

It's Alpha Protocol all over again dammit!

There are weapon lockers filled with guns around the stage. Also a handy trick I found was that after Eliza tells you to run, just run around one of those curved server towers in circles. Yelena won't catch you and you can time it so she'll start her claymore attack while you dash for safety. EMP Grenades and the Machine Pistol are handy too.

Speaking of the 2nd boss fight, they really should pay Kojima royalties for that one lulz
has quite a few similarities to fighting Volgin in MGS3

Zomba13 said:

iy84V.png

xcbyt.png

Try seeing if there's any solutions for it on the DE:HR forums. Some others might have the same issue.

epmode

Eh, now that I'm reading up on it, it doesn't sound like it's your videocard either.

Do a google search for the error message since there seems to be a bunch of different ways to correct it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So psyched to try the patch. Barely had any problem with the performance or loading before; I can only imagine the potential bliss I'll feel next time I boot this up.

moop1167

I am at the beginning talking to Pritchard in his lab... and he has flickering yellow pixels on his chest. I have FXAA on high. Setting it to MLAA makes it worse. Anyone have this issue? How is it fixed?

SLI GTX 580s

Wanace

I wanted to say that my mouse lag issue was fixed by turning SSAO off.

Runs decently enough for my tastes on a 2010 Macbook Pro i7, 330M, 4GB RAM.

Gonna play now :D

Wallach

moop1167 said:
I am at the beginning talking to Pritchard in his lab... and he has flickering yellow pixels on his chest. I have FXAA on high. Setting it to MLAA makes it worse. Anyone have this issue? How is it fixed?

SLI GTX 580s

See if turning tessellation off fixes it.

Aeana

Zomba13 said:

http://i.imgur.com/iy84V.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xcbyt.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I got that second error a bunch of times. For some reason the config utility kept unchecking DX11 but leaving FXAA enabled, which produces that error. By turning DX11 on in-game, I was able to proceed (with FXAA!).

Maybe that's not the cause for you though, dunno.

KorrZ

My plan now is after I finish my initial playthrough (going stealthy and non-lethal as much as possible, but I can't resist the occasional blade arm and throwing fridges at people to murder them is too fun.) Run through super fast on Give me Deus Ex with a no-kill run, story missions only just for the achievement. Then I'm doing a second full playthrough as an unstoppable killing machine Robocop.

Red Blaster said:
There are weapon lockers filled with guns around the stage. Also a handy trick I found was that after Eliza tells you to run, just run around one of those curved server towers in circles. Yelena won't catch you and you can time it so she'll start her claymore attack while you dash for safety. EMP Grenades and the Machine Pistol are handy too.

Speaking of the 2nd boss fight, they really should pay Kojima royalties for that one lulz
has quite a few similarities to fighting Volgin in MGS3
They paid royalties by naming trophies/achievements after MGS.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Amusing piece by Jim Rossignol of RPS on lethal vs. non-lethal in DX:HR:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/25/dxhr-violent-vs-non-violent-approaches/

His mentality pretty much mirrored my own so far, haha. I started off non-lethal because that felt more 'right' but eventually just said fuck it and started using my augs to a vindictive purpose. Why not, you're basically playing as Robocop. And as the writer elaborates on, "stealth" in Deus Ex does not necessarily mean "non-lethal" at all. Oh no.

"Nightmarish mechanical murderer" are very apt words to describe a violent Adam Jensen. Fun bonuses to a lethal playthrough include turning turrets and robots on enemies from a comical distance away and just seeing the experience points pop up, then sauntering around freely looting all of the rooms and bodies.
Hah, that's a pretty good read.

I started off going totally non-lethal, but after encountering some major assholes, I changed my stance and slaughtered the fuck out of them. Basically, anyone I would want to kill in real life, I kill in DS:HR. And it feels delightful. :-D

mandiller

My load times are now about 7 seconds. This is brilliant! I didn't think they would fix it. And more to the point, why didn't they pick up on it sooner if it could easily be fixed in a day or two? It would've been my number one complaint in a review.

I love the art and level design in this game so much. every area has so much style. I would totally want to live in this universe and thats rare to say in most games.

Dynamic3 said:
Posting this again for the new page as there apparently are no official forums, ugh.

This is what happens when I enable DX11:

6080946353_718c52a041_b.jpg

Any ideas? I have a 560Ti for reference.
Do you have 3d enabled?

In the preview that happened to me and it turns out stereoscopic was enabled and all that. Just a thought.

omg.kittens said:
Hah, that's a pretty good read.

I started off going totally non-lethal, but after encountering some major assholes, I changed my stance and slaughtered the fuck out of them. Basically, anyone I would want to kill in real life, I kill in DS:HR. And it feels delightful. :-D

Remind me never to run into you in a dark alley! :p

Otheradam

See You Next Wednesday said:
What's the specs on your rig?

BTW does anyone know if there is a password for every computer in the game?
Like I been through the FEMA facility & must have passed 8 PC terminals & didn't find any hidden passwords to them anywhere.

i5 2500k
gtx 570
8gb ram

I can run it fine. Just wondering if the PC version will get better support/fixes down the line.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Do you have 3d enabled?

In the preview that happened to me and it turns out stereoscopic was enabled and all that. Just a thought.

I had the same issue with the preview build.You have 3d enabled and I take it you don't have a 3d setup like me.Try changing resolutions, and then going back to your native resolution.The 3d option should then be greyed out.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
20 hours played, I'm feeling physically sick(I seldom play a game this long, this quickly), but everytime I start up. I've been losing hours in it.

Everytime I see something that can be hacked, I have to hack it. People alone, They are getting knocked out.

Having Incarus + Run faster for roof top jumping.

Wallach

So I put like four hours into it, which is all I can afford tonight. Playing on the hardest setting, and just got back from the first mission. I am a little annoyed with the SSAO being broken in the PC version, and I hope they can improve the performance of streaming assets, but otherwise the port is pretty strong. I did also have one lock-up when attempting to view the very first tutorial in the game, but no others so far. Aside from those few nitpicks, though... the game has been pretty fuckin' amazing.

I had one very smug moment during the first mission:

When you get the very first Praxis point from the kit placed on the ground, I immediately spent it on the move/lift heavy objects aug. Fuckin' robot arms, right? I quick saved right after that, and was kind of annoyed when presented with the advanced hacking situation a few steps later; moreso when I realized I couldn't cross the hall without tripping the sentry, but I was determined to get in that room. Finding the little vent path that leads around to the back side of the sentry, I sneak up behind it and... jackpot. Fuck you, I have upgraded robot arms I'll put baby in the corner if I damn well please. Then I went back for that room with the computer LIKE A BOSS while that stupid thing sat in time-out. Praxis point well spent.

Actually chose lethal over non-lethal when first questioned, but did not wind up using the weapon I was given at all. That is not to say people didn't get hurt. Some of that definitely happened.

I don't think I'll do much else tomorrow but play this.

Ridley327

Hooooooooooooly shit @ the end of the Shanghai Justice sidequest.

"Malik, remind me to never piss you off."

Epic levels of Scott Tenorman-esque payback with that one.

This fucking game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
finally got the past the real first mission. I like how it's opening up. I also like how Deus Ex does interrogation better than LA Noire :p

Those who have completed it, how long did you do it in? Some person on steam took 14hours, while an eidos employee took over twice that.

Top Bottom