• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Solo

Holy fuck, it took me 3 hours to take out every Derelict Row Gang member without being seen. Goddamn, thank based god for dat quick loading post-patch. Funny thing is, after all that work to do the mission 100% stealth, I ended up
fucking over Jenny Alexander and taking O'Malley's bribe
:lol

Just got to Highland Park.

Solo said:
Holy fuck, it took me 3 hours to take out every Derelict Row Gang member without being seen. Goddamn, thank based god for dat quick loading post-patch. Funny thing is, after all that work to do the mission 100% stealth, I ended up
fucking over Jenny Alexander and taking O'Malley's bribe
:lol

Just got to Highland Park.

Oh shit, I never even thought of doing that!

Solo

I cannot stress how much of a badass you become/feel like once you get your 10mm pistol sufficiently upgraded. I'd already had armor piercing and laser sight plus several damage and ammo upgrades, but I just finally got a silencer during my last session. There is nothing like popping out and double-tapping some Purity motherfucker while he picks his nose.

This is one thing from DX1 which they nailed perfectly. Both games make you feel like a demigod if you've been patient and upgraded the fuck out of your pistol.

beat the first part, stopped playing it like a fps things when i got into hostile trouble and played it like the same old boring cover shooter effect of war games that every game is nowadays and didn't die once. *sigh*

Dresden

ZombieSupaStar said:
beat the first part, stopped playing it like a fps things when i got into hostile trouble and played it like the same old boring cover shooter effect of war games that every game is nowadays and didn't die once. *sigh*
Stop shooting then.

Dresden said:
Stop shooting then.

it was the prologue they give you a gun, the game autosaved me halfway down the stairs in the gas canister room (right before the end) so when I died i respawned into "HES OVER THERE GIT EM!" x10000, not much choice.

its like if mario quick saved you 2 steps from a jump of death.

id honestly love to never fire a gun but it seems from what the boss fights sound like that it suffers from the same issue vampire bloodlines had if you go all pacifist.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh god. Just did the first mission, complete stealth, so much fun. The conversation system is really nice too, kinda gives an on edge feel since you have to react to how they respond and it's not just good/bad/snarky.

Paches-EJ- said:
I have stated this over and over, but the attention to detail to the game world that Deus Ex has already created is very rewarding to people who have played the first one, but doesn't leave the newcomers in the dust. It isn't quite the revolutionary game that the first one was, and like you said, with another installment they can clean up some of the things that didn't work, but overall when you consider the age we are in with corridor shooters dominating the market space, this was a refreshing experience and one that was a long time coming. First very serious contender for GOTY as we come down the home stretch.

I'd disagree with that pretty strongly but it was a very good game.

ZombieSupaStar said:

Being in cover is still gunna get you killed.

Zeliard

Solo said:
I cannot stress how much of a badass you become/feel like once you get your 10mm pistol sufficiently upgraded. I'd already had armor piercing and laser sight plus several damage and ammo upgrades, but I just finally got a silencer during my last session. There is nothing like popping out and double-tapping some Purity motherfucker while he picks his nose.

This is one thing from DX1 which they nailed perfectly. Both games make you feel like a demigod if you've been patient and upgraded the fuck out of your pistol.

Yeah it's a beauty. True assassin weapon as well. Sneaking around, methodically cutting through the enemy ranks with a silenced 10mm, leaving nobody standing and without ever alerting a soul. It just feels great.

I don't see how anything could top this for GOTY. They'll probably give it to Uncharted or Skyrim or some other media darling but years from now when people look back at 2011, they'll remember Deus and forget the rest.

Having never played either of the other Deus Ex games I had no real interest in this game nor had been following it at all (unless you count the Gamestop thread). But after reading through the OP a few hours ago I decided I am picking it up first thing tomorrow morning. As someone who loves games with absurd amounts of detail (Metal Gear, Shenmue, etc), this sounds like something truly amazing and worth my time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
A Human Becoming said:
Is it the girlfriend you introduce to your parents or the one you're with just to bang?

no relationship is a dalliance when i pay full price on the week of release. this is not something i do lightly.

Paches

BannedEpisode said:
I'd disagree with that pretty strongly but it was a very good game.

Curious as to what is on your list so far. I really enjoy the Deus Ex universe and story, it got its hooks in me fast and I was able to overlook the small problems.

part of my problem is im just coming off of a new vegas caeser legion KILL EVERYONE playthrough, so I got this just shoot em all, and see how the game reacts mentality.

more games need to let you kill everyone in it if you want to.

4 enemies, 3 of them clustered

Fire a tranq at the isolated guy

Do a *Icarus drop

Do a double takedown

~The tranq takes effect

Stun gun the last enemy as he's getting up after the drop

Best feeling ever.

GrumpyAlien said:
Having never played either of the other Deus Ex games I had no real interest in this game nor had been following it at all (unless you count the Gamestop thread). But after reading through the OP a few hours ago I decided I am picking it up first thing tomorrow morning. As someone who loves games with absurd amounts of detail (Metal Gear, Shenmue, etc), this sounds like something truly amazing and worth my time.
Yeah, you're definitely gonna love it. Just take your time and explore everything and get immersed into the world. It's quite an experience.

Danne-Danger said:
4 enemies, 3 of them clustered

Fire a tranq at the isolated guy

Do a phoenix drop

Do a double takedown

~The tranq takes effect

Stun gun the last enemy as he's getting up after the drop

Best feeling ever.
Would've loved to see a video of that. Turn on FRAPS next time :p

Heavy said:
I don't see how anything could top this for GOTY. They'll probably give it to Uncharted or Skyrim or some other media darling but years from now when people look back at 2011, they'll remember Deus and forget the rest.

Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoyed HR but Portal 2 was about 2 times more fulfilling for me.

Zeliard

Even something as simple as throwing a concussion grenade and then finishing everyone off as they're dazed and struggling to get up is a lot of fun.

Got myself in a sticky situation at the police station in detroit, I was on the lobby level and stuck in a bathroom. I then noticed there was a vent that lead out near an elevator that brought me to a morgue and jail cells. Took me 2 hours trying to get out of there, I had to reload the game a bunch but it was an awesome feeling once I finally escaped through the roof. This games amazing, and ive grown to love adams voice it fits perfectly.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
A Human Becoming said:
I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so if this has been addressed I apologize. When I finished a main mission in Derelict Row, the sidequest there no longer shows up, even when I put it as active and the main one as inactive. Once you complete it are you no longer able to complete the sidequest? If that's the case I'll have to search for a save before I finished it, but I don't think I have one. :\

Someone please respond. :)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I read the OP (which is a fantastic one) section about "What is Deus Ex"

Always heard great things, never even paid this game any attention. I saw that it is a prequel and it's easy for newcomers to get in. Can I jump in without knowing shit about the series? Will it hamper my experience if I haven't played the other two games?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Stat Flow said:

Always heard great things, never even paid this game any attention. I saw that it is a prequel and it's easy for newcomers to get in. Can I jump in without knowing shit about the series? Will it hamper my experience if I haven't played the other two games?
I jumped in not knowing shit about the series other than that it has RPG elements.

Let me tell you my friend, I was fucking blown away.

Still not out of Detroit but here's my idea for the next playthrough which will be on Deus Ex difficulty:

Typhoon augs
Dermal armor augs (maybe the full tree up to 60% damage mitigation if there's enough points)
Double takedown
Break walls
Icarus Landing
Lift heavy objects
High jump
Maybe something with energy cells or recharge
Maybe a recoil one
Only hacking aug will be to get level 2

I dunno...

Made it to
Hengsha
an hour ago. Was a little sour on this game for the first several hours (maybe the PC load times pre-patch), but since... this game has been fucking awesome.

Zeliard

A Human Becoming said:
Someone please respond. :)

If you're about to start a main mission that will cancel unfinished side quests it should let you know. If something weird is up it might be something screwy with your game. :/ If the quest is failed it should show up under finished quests and marked as failed. If not, I dunno.

Echoplx

Need some help with a side quest in Heng Sha (second visit)

For the Talion A.D. quest, after I read the pocket secretary to find out where they went the quest doesn't update, do i just head into the sewers or is this a bug?

Derrick01

Banned
Heavy said:

Yup the media will probably pick one of those and Gaf will be Zelda again.

Despite quite a few disappointments I'm having with this game it's still the game to beat this year.

3chopl0x said:
Need some help with a side quest in Heng Sha (second visit)

If it's the one I'm thinking of then yeah just go to the sewers and they'll be there. The same thing happened to me and I was still able to finish the quest

alphaNoid

Banned
Stat Flow said:

Yes jump in...you will shit your pants. This game is what gaming is alllllllllllll about. Buy now support the development teams!

I wonder if there's gonna be any significant DLC. Honestly I will buy anything and everything they put out as DLC, even if it's lackluster. Just take my money so I can continue to support this awesome game.

Zeliard

MrPing1000 said:
It wouldn't be Deus Ex without dodgy Chinese accents. Yay!

It's funny about the voice acting. It's certainly bad for the most part but I find it actually adds to the charm and ambiance, much like in the first game. Sort of a "so bad it's good" type of thing. It doesn't take me out of the experience at all, maybe because the first game's comical voice acting is one of its defining elements. Letitia in Detroit is pretty cringe-worthy though.

Heavy said:
I wonder if there's gonna be any significant DLC. Honestly I will buy anything and everything they put out as DLC, even if it's lackluster. Just take my money so I can continue to support this awesome game.
On the PC main menu ticker there is a tease for something Deus Ex related on Monday. Don't know if it has been mentioned yet.

alphaNoid

Banned
Heavy said:
First time I've ever felt the same. I will buy everything for this game ..this is WHY I game!

Derrick01

Banned
Heavy said:

There would be even more balance issues if they let us use our old characters. I already have almost all the augs and I'm still not done with the game, a decent sized DLC or dare I even say expansion would completely max me out and I would cruise through it.

Maybe if they gave us a small number of points for a seperate DLC mission or campaign on the main menu so we can have just enough to get started. Or maybe new augs since it would be a whole seperate thing.

how to disable mine? I was playing stealthy in derelict row and there's a part where it booby trapped with mine, it explodes when I got near, it didn't hurt me, but make the enemies alert.

jgminto

Wow this is great. I am playing on 360 right now but I will be playing on PC when my rig is built. I love reading the newspapers, e-books and e-mail. And I especially love reading about the
Australian Civil War

Sarcasm

Callibretto said:
how to disable mine? I was playing stealthy in derelict row and there's a part where it booby trapped with mine, it explodes when I got near, it didn't hurt me, but make the enemies alert.

On a loading screen it mentions to walk up really slowly and push a button (don't know which I assume is E)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mister Jensen needs a new mirror

EDIT: Also, chalk me up with the 'so bad its good' crowd in regards to the voice acting. Racist black hobo is the only one I dont like. Jensen is just like JC, I like the banter between him and Pritchard, and I too know Sarif is doing a 'bad' job, but it strangely fits his character.

Zeliard

Callibretto said:

Crouch up close to them and disarm them before they explode.

Fuck, I now remember buying armor-piercing & dropping it since I didn't have a pistol on me.

I can't believe a fucking pistol would have been the best way to get through the Picus building.
I had a heavy rifle, assault rifle, shotgun & machine gun & they were near useless for the entire damn mission.

Also people mentioned a silencer for the pistol? Where is it? I never saw that upgrade in the shops.

Top Bottom