• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Derrick01 said:
Stealth is how I'm playing. Most of the time I'm running around with 1 energy bar because of all the knockdowns I do (hell i got the 100 knockdown achievement a few hours earlier than where I am now) but I can always buy energy stuff because I never seem to have less than 10,000 credits. Other than buying praxis kits money is damn near useless as I usually have what I need from exploring.
I played stealth and I didn't get the knock out or takedown achievement after finishing the game.

bonesmccoy said:
Merchants in Hengsha?

I need to offload this awful double-barreled shotgun. It makes no sense for ubermensch Jensen to have that piece of junk.

I don't exactly remember and can't pinpoint where it was but there is one in the prostitute district i.e. where the helicopter lands. Some pimp is a merchant.

Linkzg said:
I'm trying to do the "foxiest of the hounds" and never trigger an alarm

don't know if it counts
frankly i don't know either if it counts just being hostile or if some kind of alarm in a base has to go off

i just gave up on it after a while

Heavy said:
Does a prompt come up letting you know when you're in range for a double or do you have to estimate yourself?

It's a special icon.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Haha nice. Yeah it seems useful since there are often times when two guards are standing near each other. Hopefully it's not too annoying about the context-sensitive placement.

Even if they aren't near each other immediately, you can always throw stuff that they'd both hear to lead them into double takedown positions.

Derrick01

Banned
Heavy said:
Does a prompt come up letting you know when you're in range for a double or do you have to estimate yourself?

a double takedown? yeah they have to be somewhat close but the prompt will show jensen punching two guys or something like that to clue you in that it'll be a double.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Linkzg said:
I'm trying to do the "foxiest of the hounds" and never trigger an alarm

don't know if it counts
Then don't it Its far too much of a hassle if you are going for that. This game has a lot of moments like that.

Derrick01

Banned
Dresden said:
So how useful is the 'punch through walls' aug?

Not that useful by itself though you can find some shortcuts or very tiny item rooms with it.

I use it more as a trap for a lot of enemies. I'll punch the wall which makes a ton of noise, then throw a couple mines in the area so the guards who come to check the noise have a nice surprise.

LordK

bonesmccoy said:
Merchants in Hengsha?

I need to offload this awful double-barreled shotgun. It makes no sense for ubermensch Jensen to have that piece of junk.

There's a guy on the first floor of the hotel.

Zeliard

Red Blaster said:
About to start playthrough number 2 as a violent Robocop sociopath. Recommended aug path?

Shagg posted this Terminator primer earlier:

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Let's do this. These are the upgrades that you NEED to max out no matter what. Alternate between them all so you get a taste of it all. Ordered from most important to least important.

1. Hacking: Capture (Mandatory upgrade if you want to get the hidden weapons and go through doors that you would normally not get access to, and make sure the sentry bots are on your side when they do spawn. No terminator is complete without the "machines" on his side).

2. Hacking Stealth (Another mandatory upgrade if you want to prevent being caught in the hacking side of the hurdles, so you can hack with ease without worrying about failing at it).

3. Dermal Armor (A few bullets can kill you without this upgrade. With it, you can take around 5-10 seconds of live fire without going for cover).

4. Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis (Ultimate choice for any terminator. No ruthless killer is complete without the ability to smash the walls, carry heavy objects, have a bigger backpack for more arsenal and reducing the weapon recoil).

5. Sarif Series 8 Energy Convertor (Every action takes energy. You don't want to wait for it to slowly recharge so this will help you recharge the bar quicker while ensuring you have enough bars to take down 5 enemies or walls).

6. Aim Stabilizer (Terminators have no lack of accuracy. Upgrade this to get pin-point killing precision).

7. Icarus Landing System (Don't want to be laughed at when you jump from a roof to take out ten guys. Use this to land like a boss!).

BONUS: Typhoon Explosive System (Great way to get away from enemies if they surround you, but c'mon... You're a terminator! No one would dare surrounding you. Still, you will have a dozen more Praxis left in the end so upgrade this).

I'd also add stuff like the leg enhancements (speed, jumping), health upgrade and the double takedown.

Wallach said:
Even if they aren't near each other immediately, you can always throw stuff that they'd both hear to lead them into double takedown positions.

Oh man, I didn't even think of throwing random objects as distractions. This opens up a whole new world.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Shagg posted this Terminator primer earlier:

I'd also add stuff like the leg enhancements (speed, jumping), health upgrade and the double takedown.

You're not a terminator without lift/move heavy objects. Earlier the better too as it is a very useful aug in general.

Edit - Also if you have the sentry hacking aug you can just hack a sentry and carry it around like a portable death machine.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
You're not a terminator without lift/move heavy objects. Earlier the better too as it is a very useful aug in general.

I agree, that one's nice to have. He mentioned that one though.

Personally I concentrated my first several Praxis points on stuff that would let me explore more. Hacking, wall smash, heavy lift, high jump, etc.

Wallach said:
Edit - Also if you have the sentry hacking aug you can just hack a sentry and carry it around like a portable death machine.

One of my favorite things to do :p

Zeliard said:
Personally I concentrated my first several Praxis points on stuff that would let me explore more. Hacking, wall smash, heavy lift, high jump, etc.

Same. It's probably the main reason I suck in most combat situations! I just want to jump and run around and explore. And, occasionally, shoot fools with my silenced 10mm.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
So-So. Does help you in a few tight spots, but I didn't get it till about 17-18 hours in anyways.

I'd put Strength, Hacking(Level 5 + Reduced Detection), Jump, Social, and Icarus fall as the top tier useful ones. Should always have these on every play-through.

Ones like EPM immunity, Wall-See, Cloak, are much more situational. But still very useful

I'd still put one point into Wall-break, since there are many, many items you can get from it. On top of the occasional short cut.

I think I'll make a guide to augs ^_^

Zeliard

disappeared said:
Same. It's probably the main reason I suck in most combat situations! I just want to jump and run around and explore. And, occasionally, shoot fools with my silenced 10mm.

Put a laser sight on that 10mm and behold as it turns into an instrument of God.

Zeliard said:
Put a laser sight on that 10mm and behold as it turns into an instrument of God.

Haha yup. I don't even know why I keep my Combat Rifle at times. Silenced/Laser Pistol is the perfect solution for a more passive character build.

Wallach

disappeared said:

I feel like once you get lift/move heavy objects aug, weapons are kind of secondary as it is, unless you really need ranged stealth takedown for some reason. I would just as soon throw a vending machine at someone's head, though I haven't found explosive rounds for the revolver yet and those sound pretty awesome with some cat guard-herding finesse.

I still disapprove of the XP bonus for a non-lethal takedown, mostly because you can just kill them after you get the XP. I think if they're going to give a bonus like that it should be given when the objective updates if you've only performed non-lethal takedowns since the last objective update.

Quick questions, is there a New Game + after I finish the game where I can keep my stats & guns & change to a different difficulty or do I have to start from scratch all over on a second playthrough?

Dresden said:
Gotta disagree with the ppl that said not very useful. its worth its weight easily with the amount of kits you find using it. Ive found about 3 and thats with not finding any in detroit(didn't have it yet)

Sure you can say you dont need it to break down walls but chances are you arent going to find them unless you spent time looking at every wall thoroughly. The cracks are kinda hard to see IMO

disappeared said:
Is this "Magnum" available in Detroit?

And can I silence it?
No you can't silence it. But you can make it louder by making every shot explode on impact. And yes it is available in Detroit. Various enemies in the game carry it around, but it is a bit rare.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lostconfused said:
A magnum is the instrument of god, not a piddly little 10mm cap gun.

1 10mm round can kill any non bot enemy in the game. Silenced 10mm is god mode, it's hilarious how easy the game is with that thing.

Wallach said:
I feel like once you get lift/move heavy objects aug, weapons are kind of secondary as it is, unless you really need ranged stealth takedown for some reason. I would just as soon throw a vending machine at someone's head, though I haven't found explosive rounds for the revolver yet and those sound pretty awesome with some cat guard-herding finesse.

I still disapprove of the XP bonus for a non-lethal takedown, mostly because you can just kill them after you get the XP. I think if they're going to give a bonus like that it should be given when the objective updates if you've only performed non-lethal takedowns since the last objective update.

Jesus man, tonight you've given me several completely new things to try out when I boot the game up later.

I salute you.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
A magnum is the instrument of god, not a piddly little 10mm cap gun.

A silenced 10mm with proper upgrades lets you put people down one headshot a piece and disappear like a ghost in the night. Only weapon in the game capable of an armor-piercing upgrade as well.

Sinatar said:
1 10mm round can kill any non bot enemy in the game. Silenced 10mm is god mode, it's hilarious how easy the game is with that thing.
Sure if you get are careful and make sure to get headshots every time.

Derrick01

Banned
So it looks like that preorder mission from gamestop extends the main plot, as I was following my main missions and all of a sudden when I entered an area it gave me a "thanks for preordering, your extra mission is loading" message. I've already figured out who the DX1 character is but I'm intrigued to see where this goes anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm 18 hours in and I just landed in China. I did every quest and searched every nook and cranny in Detroit. I may have a few issues with this game, but overall it's phenominal. This is pretty much everything I wanted in a new Deus Ex, and it's a slick fucking RPG to boot.

shagg_187 said:
No Game +. Start from scratch.

GLJO7.gif

Tell me this, if I have upgraded a weapon, like a shotgun, & drop it & later on I pick up a different shotgun from somewhere else, will that shotgun have the upgrades from the first?

EmCeeGramr said:
frankly i don't know either if it counts just being hostile or if some kind of alarm in a base has to go off

i just gave up on it after a while

quoting this again just to clarify

it is possible with the tranq gun, but maybe not on hard. I got close.

charsace

Zeliard said:
I'm eyeing the Typhoon aug as my next upgrade. Doesn't seem to get much mention but then a lot of people are stealthing it up, and that doesn't exactly seem like a stealth attack.
It levels bosses. You can just chain 3 in a row and fuck them hard.

See You Next Wednesday said:
GLJO7.gif

Tell me this, if I have upgraded a weapon, like a shotgun, & drop it & later on I pick up a different shotgun from somewhere else, will that shotgun have the upgrades from the first?
no, why would it?

so....

I first played this like New Vegas Asshole Run (shoot kill shoot kill kill kill), didn't work.

Then I played this like Gears of Effect cover shooter 2k12, didn't work.

Then I played this like Metal Gear Solid No Killing....................

derp-1.jpg

DIS GAME IS AWSUM!

my only fear is what sounds like bosses that must be run and gunned, hopefully there are easy cheese methods for killing them with my hacker/stealth character.

charsace

The upgraded magnum is one of the best weapons I've ever used in a game. A few shots from a magnum with explosive rounds can destroy a mech and you can shoot it into a crowd of enemies and it will cause them all to be off balance for a while. I can't think of any enemy in the game that can stand up to it.

Wallach

charsace said:
The upgraded magnum is one of the best weapons I've ever used in a game. A few shots from a magnum with explosive rounds can destroy a mech and you can shoot it into a crowd of enemies and it will cause them all to be off balance for a while. I can't think of any enemy in the game that can stand up to it.

So are the explosive rounds thing an upgrade that makes all rounds explosive, or are they actually separate ammunition from standard revolver rounds?

disappeared said:
Jesus man, tonight you've given me several completely new things to try out when I boot the game up later.

I salute you.

*thumbs up*

I only have like four hours into the game so I'm sure I'll come up with more interesting and strange ways to murder people in this game.

Top Bottom