• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Heavy said:
Would've loved to see a video of that. Turn on FRAPS next time :p
It's easy to do after a certain cutscene in Heng Sha!

Also, this game makes me behave strangely. During that certain Heng Sha incident, I only killed the named guy that stood with the two heavy machinegun guys at the bottom of the "hotel", bullet to the brain after I knocked him out. I never killed another one from that group, in my mind that makes me more badass.

If you're a street punk tough, chances are you'll wake up with a bullet in your brain no matter where you stand.

Oh, and who else knocked out Anonymous X after they lectured him? Felt good man.
Callibretto said:
I was already crouching when I approach them, they still detonate before I can get close enough. or should I be quick about it?
You need to crouch and walk.

Solo

Heavy said:
I don't see how anything could top this for GOTY. They'll probably give it to Uncharted or Skyrim or some other media darling but years from now when people look back at 2011, they'll remember Deus and forget the rest.

The Witcher 2: Ploughing Bugaloo

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ZombieSupaStar said:
good lord the intro sequence to deus ex hr is fucking AWFUL, the game isnt about run and gun so lets make the intro run and gun! It better get better....
Except I just went through it on Hard without being seen or shooting once.

1. Room one, two guys come down the stairs and search around. Use the cover on the right and move when they are looking. Work your way to the stairs, and go behind cover on the way up.

2. 2 guys by gas can, one wandering. Cover on right once again. Move along the edge and there is a short distance with no cover to get out of the room. Wait till they aren't facing the crouch out.

3. 4 guys come. Once again, closest edge of the room to when you enter in. Either jump down quickly or cover down the stairs. Work it across the edge and same as two, went they aren't looking.

No alarms, no bullets, no kills.

Ken

Heavy said:
Still not out of Detroit but here's my idea for the next playthrough which will be on Deus Ex difficulty:

Only hacking aug will be to get level 2

That's a bad idea if you want to complete most side quests.

Solo

See You Next Wednesday said:
Also people mentioned a silencer for the pistol? Where is it? I never saw that upgrade in the shops.

I bought mine from Seurat (sp?) in one of the Detroit apartment buildings. He gives you a discount because you saved buddy's wife earlier (and because you'd skullfuck him if he didn't).

Solo

solarus said:
I too have a gtx 260 and don't have the option either, maybe ati cards only?

Nope. I have a 570GTX and I'm playing with MLAA.

shagg_187 said:
Nvidia doesn't support MLAA. ATI does. Nvidia uses SRAA.

Da fuck? I've got the option and its what I've had selected since I started...

Linkzg said:
mid to late game question

is it possible to
protect the helicopter? I ran to stealth take out these enemies, but then it explodes.
Yes, but it's super hard.

As for the endings, I'm not sure how I feel about them. Deus Ex 1 just showed JC performing the act without showing the results and managed to make each one thought-provoking and ambiguous, Invisible War gave you CG cutscenes where the world sucked in every ending even when they were trying to make it look good, and in Human Revolution
Adam talks over stock news footage, explaining his rationale.

I get that
showing the world dramatically changing depending on the choice
would be impossible given it's a prequel, but I would have enjoyed it a bit more if
maybe you actually saw some kind of reaction to your actions, at least something other than Adam doing a Fallout and grumbling about war never changing over grainy projection film.

Derrick01 said:
There would be even more balance issues if they let us use our old characters. I already have almost all the augs and I'm still not done with the game, a decent sized DLC or dare I even say expansion would completely max me out and I would cruise through it.
Are you playing on the highest difficulty level? Because I certainly did not feel like I was overpowered by the end of the game.

watershed

Banned
I am in Hengsha and just played the
escape from Alice Garden pods
part using combat instead of stealth and for some reason it wasn't nearly as fun :( I did a few lethal takedowns because for some reason I decided those guys deserved it but it wasn't as satisfying as sneaking around them. At least now I know I won't have to invest in any combat related augs.

I'm getting this for my birthday next week, but I just have a few quick questions. I'm so hyped btw, but is this the kind of game where you have to focus on a specific skill path or are you going to be able to get nearly all the augs by end game? Is it really the case where you can play it any way you want? I'm just worried this is a setup like Alpha Protocol. You know what I mean if you've played that game. They were like, oh, you can totally play this the way you want. Halfway into a stealth playthrough I get shoe horned into a boss fight that if you didn't speacialize some what in fire arms you will die. A lot.

Linkzg said:
how did you do it?

everything the text bubble comes up I'm like, COME ON
it was super-hard and i tried a million times but

i ran up the right side (there's a dumpster and ramp), tried to quickly take out one or both soldiers up there, and then IMMEDIATELY took out the heavies from above. from there just try to keep shooting at the others and hopefully distract them. if you don't have an emp grenade to take out the bot... well uh i dunno.

Derrick01

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Are you playing on the highest difficulty level? Because I certainly did not feel like I was overpowered by the end of the game.

Yeah and I haven't had too much of a problem yet. A couple places were really tough like
saving the helicopter. I got the hunch it wasn't mandatory but I did it anyway, thankfully I had an EMP grenade for the robot
. An almost fully upgraded pistol has been more than enough for me to headshot the few people I need to, though it's apparently not fully upgraded since I don't have that achievement yet.

I guess that's not really overpowered but I feel that way. I'm breezing through areas now.

CAW

EmCeeGramr said:
Yes, but it's super hard.
It wasn't too hard. What I did was
run to the right straight away, jump down and then jump on the bin to get to the second story of the building. Take out the guards up there, then I jumped down, dropped an EMP mine in front of the robot, then back to where the sniper was in one of the other platforms. I shot the red barrel he was sniping behind, which then exploded and then killed off the rest of the guys in the area.

Took three tries. Go for head shots for quick kills.

Zeliard

I'm eyeing the Typhoon aug as my next upgrade. Doesn't seem to get much mention but then a lot of people are stealthing it up, and that doesn't exactly seem like a stealth attack.

Qwomo

Linkzg said:
how did you do it?

everything the text bubble comes up I'm like, COME ON
I ran around the left, tazed/takedowned everyone, and then tazed the robot/threw explosive barrels at it.

Took me countless reloads, though. Remember to stop and save frequently throughout that sequence.

GillianSeed79 said:
I'm getting this for my birthday next week, but I just have a few quick questions. I'm so hyped btw, but is this the kind of game where you have to focus on a specific skill path or are you going to be able to get nearly all the augs by end game? Is it really the case where you can play it any way you want? I'm just worried this is a setup like Alpha Protocol. You know what I mean if you've played that game. They were like, oh, you can totally play this the way you want. Halfway into a stealth playthrough I get shoe horned into a boss fight that if you didn't speacialize some what in fire arms you will die. A lot.

You can play it any way you want (except for boss battles). There is no specific skill path as you get to upgrade 85% of the augmentations by the end of the game.

Boss battles that will require fire arms, but you don't need to specialize in them, they will provide you with all the weapons needed in the battleground.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I'm eyeing the Typhoon aug as my next upgrade. Doesn't seem to get much mention but then a lot of people are stealthing it up, and that doesn't exactly seem like a stealth attack.

Apparently it is pretty boss. Pretty much an AoE one-hit kill and does a fuckton of damage to bosses.

Derrick01 said:
I guess that's not really overpowered but I feel that way. I'm breezing through areas now.
I guess that's more entertaining than stealth/nonlethal, which is just crouch walking and gobbling down chocolate bars non stop.

Solo

Ive played 9 hours and Im only about to start Highland Park next time I play. I think Ill be at this for a while.

Zeliard

shagg_187 said:
You can play it any way you want (except for boss battles). There is no specific skill path as you get to upgrade 85% of the augmentations by the end of the game.

Though there are augs that are more beneficial to have upgraded earlier on, namely hacking.

Echoplx

Derrick01 said:
Yup the media will probably pick one of those and Gaf will be Zelda again.

Despite quite a few disappointments I'm having with this game it's still the game to beat this year.

If it's the one I'm thinking of then yeah just go to the sewers and they'll be there. The same thing happened to me and I was still able to finish the quest

I just looked everywhere I could in the sewers and didn't find anything.. Remember a specific location maybe? :3

Zeliard said:
Haven't seen a single impression of it in the thread and I've read like every page the past couple days. Really curious about it but I'm gonna save it for the second playthrough which will be guns blazing.

Zeliard said:
Though there are augs that are more beneficial to have upgraded earlier on, namely hacking.

That is true, but the mandatory objectives that require hacking will have a passcode lying somewhere, or will be level 1 or level 2. Of course, if you want to get all the tidbits, hacking upgrades are a must.

Wallach

Heavy said:
Haven't seen a single impression of it in the thread and I've read like every page the past couple days. Really curious about it but I'm gonna save it for the second playthrough which will be guns blazing.

I'll be getting it pretty soon (probably after I get one or two points in hacking capture) so I'll let you know unless someone else chimes in. Using "the googles" it seems like it is one of the most powerful attacks you can get though.

malfcn

Deadbeat said:
srKRv.jpg

/smug

Linkzg said:
I...I have a serious problem

http://i.imgur.com/cRLTR.jpg

One of my problems in RPGish types games is I stink at making decisions
I am in Detroit and spent a point for hacking. But even the lvl2 doors catch me almost instantly. Is hacking worth it?

EmCeeGramr said:
it was super-hard and i tried a million times but

i ran up the right side (there's a dumpster and ramp), tried to quickly take out one or both soldiers up there, and then IMMEDIATELY took out the heavies from above. from there just try to keep shooting at the others and hopefully distract them. if you don't have an emp grenade to take out the bot... well uh i dunno.

I can do it easily by munching energy packs, going invisible and silent, and ape shit crazy with a taser.

but it puts me on hostile status.

Derrick01

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I guess that's more entertaining than stealth/nonlethal, which is just crouch walking and gobbling down chocolate bars non stop.

Stealth is how I'm playing. Most of the time I'm running around with 1 energy bar because of all the knockdowns I do (hell i got the 100 knockdown achievement a few hours earlier than where I am now) but I can always buy energy stuff because I never seem to have less than 10,000 credits. Other than buying praxis kits money is damn near useless as I usually have what I need from exploring.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Apparently it is pretty boss. Pretty much an AoE one-hit kill and does a fuckton of damage to bosses.

Yeah seems like it could be pretty neat; I've done a few energy-related upgrades so it's a good time to snag the Typhoon one. Though I also really want that aug that lets you drop two chumps with one melee attack.

Qwomo

Linkzg said:
I can do it easily by munching energy packs, going invisible and silent, and ape shit crazy with a taser.

but it puts me on hostile status.
Yeah there's no way you're going to get Ghost on that part.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Yeah seems like it could be pretty neat; I've done a few energy-related upgrades so it's a good time to snag the Typhoon one. Though I also really want that aug that lets you drop two chumps with one melee attack.

Hm, I'd probably get the double takedown one first honestly. You get 145 XP for a double non-lethal takedown. It's a huge XP boost if you can pull one off.

Merchants in Hengsha?

I need to offload this awful double-barreled shotgun. It makes no sense for ubermensch Jensen to have that piece of junk.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Hm, I'd probably get the double takedown one first honestly. You get 145 XP for a double non-lethal takedown. It's a huge XP boost if you can pull one off.

Haha nice. Yeah it seems useful since there are often times when two guards are standing near each other. Hopefully it's not too annoying about the context-sensitive placement.

Derrick01

Banned
3chopl0x said:
I just looked everywhere I could in the sewers and didn't find anything.. Remember a specific location maybe? :3

Yeah go for the sewers that are in that sewage ditch right under the walkway that leads to that Pods area.

Top Bottom