• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

~Kinggi~

Banned
Amount of upgrade options in this game and how there is a use for all of them is pretty damn amazing if i may say so. I also enjoy that getting moneis and experience is really useful!

Neiteio

OK, I got to the first boss and simply couldn't beat him -- generic stealth-disrupting goon that he is -- so I quit and started and finished the entirety of Vanquish in the interim (damn fine game). I want to get Deus Ex-y again -- what's the best way to beat this guy?

charsace

Wallach said:
So are the explosive rounds thing an upgrade that makes all rounds explosive, or are they actually separate ammunition from standard revolver rounds?

*thumbs up*

I only have like four hours into the game so I'm sure I'll come up with more interesting and strange ways to murder people in this game.
It makes the rounds explosive period. It isn't a separate thing.

Neiteio said:
OK, I got to the first boss and simply couldn't beat him -- generic stealth-disrupting goon that he is -- so I quit and started and finished the entirety of Vanquish in the interim (damn fine game). I want to get Deus Ex-y again -- what's the best way to beat this guy?
emp grenade plus assault rifle. barrels and other explosives help alot too

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:

There are plenty of ways in the level to beat him even if you are stealthy. First, lose him so he doesn't know where you are, next setup a trap for him. Look around the level and see what you can use. There are plenty of weapons and exploding barrels and poison canisters, etc.

What does this mean?

y50Og.png

Derrick01

Banned
Linkzg said:
when and where do you get access to it?

I'll spoiler tag it just in case

second time you're in Hengsha, after I had to sneak through the harvester base to find Tong he gave me a mission to rescue his son. When I got to the building where he was I got that thank you for preordering message.

I guess the only good thing about it was the reward, which was a weapon that I haven't seen in the regular game yet

grenade launcher :D

Ridley327

The Stealth Fox said:
Does anyone own the official guide? Is it complete? How is the quality of the book? I think it would be nice to own the guide for this game.
It's quite nice; it's a very thick guide that offers multiple strategies for each mission, depending on your build. Future Press does really nice guides in general, but they can be a bit hard to find. I think the LE version is already gone.

The Stealth Fox

Ridley327 said:
It's quite nice; it's a very thick guide that offers multiple strategies for each mission, depending on your build. Future Press does really nice guides in general, but they can be a bit hard to find. I think the LE version is already gone.
What are the major differences between the LE and standard guides?

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
Sure if you get are careful and make sure to get headshots every time.

Laser sight upgrade makes headshots much easier unless your aim is just that bad. :p

The laser sight isn't just a visual thing; it gives your 10mm perfect aim from the hip, functioning similarly to the laser sight in the original Deus Ex. The bullet goes where the red dot is. It's headshots galore. It's actually hilariously similar to the first game where a 10mm with a laser sight was basically 100% accurate even if your pistol skill was low.

I have to imagine the whole upgrade line for the 10mm in this game is itself a callback to the original Deus Ex, since upgrading a basic 10mm into a devastating weapon is one of the classic playthrough strategies in that game.

Kyon

Banned
not sure if asked, but will there be DLC for this game? in the back of the PS3 box it says add on content, and i already redeemed the gamestop bonus, unless that was the only DLC planned...

Tiktaalik

Trying to run this on my PC but I've gotten two hard crashes (black screen, sound stuck on where the game crashed, have to reboot).

I updated my drivers after the first crash so it's not that. What ever else could be the issue? I don't often play cutting edge PC games, I usually stick to indie fare with lighter requirements, so I'm at a loss.

Core2 Duo 3Ghz
4 Gig Ram
Radeon HD4850 512MB

The Stealth Fox

Ridley327 said:
Additional art gallery and it's a hardcover.

114.jpg

Really nice-looking hardcover, at that.

I want it. Now. Triangle Jensen is awesome. Does it only come with the Collectors Edition in Europe? I want a copy in the US.

Hawk269

The Stealth Fox said:
Does anyone own the official guide? Is it complete? How is the quality of the book? I think it would be nice to own the guide for this game.

I asked this about 10-15 pages back and did not get an answer. However, I decided to get it anyways and so far as much as I have read it is really a good guide. It gives you a guide on how to do a mission in Stealth, Stealth-Combat, Combat. I did notice an error in it already though. The guide provided the 3 best answers when talking with a NPC, but the 3 they mention were not the best answers to get the result with the highest reward. Luckily, I had save right before this portion so I was able to re-load and took a stab at it myself and was able to accomplish the conversation with the best outcome.

Outside of that one error so far, I like the guide. Alot of information on weopons, upgrades etc. I think it was well worth the price.

kokujin

Banned
Does it feel like the npcs are moving at 30 FPS?Fraps will say 60 FPS and won't even dip, but the guy I am talking to will slow down noticeabley for a few seconds or more.

Salsa

alright am i seriously the only one getting this issue?

9f5b75a27754e1dd2ad43e519bd9bc51ce721e8d.jpg

df1a0e9ed48faa8a9b9eb7ed56ad30840c1e418d.jpg

im asking cause im seeing it in a lot of games :/

this one's alright for the most part, but in bright places like that it really is terrible

basically shadow detail moves with me, but not smoth in any way, there's just a line a couple feet in front of me that "CUTS" shadows and makes them render properly as i move. The "line" moves with me wether i go forward or backwards. Its really distracting :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick Guide to Augs

Reference point, Basically all stealth, mainly non-lethal, run outside the final stage.

The Absolute must haves

-Social Enhancer(2 points): It opens up many more options when it comes to dialogue trees and always gives you a safe point to fall upon if you messed up the first time.
-Hacking Capture(2-5, 4 points): Hacking is the most important stealth skill and exploration skill. Many items, secret rooms, short cuts, and in general, making the game more more playable.
-Hacking Stealth(1-3, 4 points): Reduces chance of detection by 15% for each point. Everything from 1-3 turns into 15% then, and 4s are at 35%. Save your nukes + pauses for 5's, and you'll basically ace everything. Only L5 pose any challenge then.
-Move Heavy Objects( 1 point): Does exactly that. Opens up new paths, lets you break windows or doors with heavy objects, etc.
-Increase Inventory(1-3, 3points). You can carry more stuff. Speaks for itself.
-Smart Vision(2 points): I feel like this varies between situational and needed. For exploration. You want it. Its how you find the hidden stuff. For combat, Radar+3rd person view is always going be your bread and butter.
-Icarus Landing System(2points): lets you fall heights and survive. You can fall a big distance in the game. It quiets you down...and on the Chinese hub which has a lot of vertical going. You'll want it to save many dumb deaths.
-Cyber Leg(2 points), Lets you jump higher. you want it. Opens up more spots, makes stealth and travel easier, etc.

More situational, but still useful
-Hacking Turrets( 1points): You'll encounter many more turrets in the game than robots. Making this skill a bit more useful.
-Recharge Rate(2-3, 2 points): This is where I feel you should invest the points into. It will let you burn out those melee quicker, which give you the most XP per take down. 50XP for non-lethal.
-Implant Breather(1 point): Lets you breath in gases. They have a few spots where it opens up more areas, makes things easier, and lets you stand in your own gas grenades.
-Reflex Booster(2points): You double the amount you take down. Its fantastic for many spots and lets you proceed quicker.
-Denal Armour + EMP Shielding(5 points): mainly, you'll want the EMP shielding which requires level two for it. Its a damage reduction which does help against the bosses, but the EMP shielding is where it is at. Everything is still doable with out it, but it just saves so much of a hassle when those moments with electricity come up. It also lets you drop EMP grenades on your own feet and shoot at a boss while they are stunned.
-Cloaking (1-3, 4 points): You'll only need one for the most part. Its not the typical I-win button even full upgraded. It drains quick. But the key is to use it in small bursts to get to spots that would otherwise be tricky. Like the other side of a lazer fence or moving across a turret's FoV. If you invest more, it gives you some time to drastically move around with it. But once again, it turns those energy bars quick.

Upgrade if you want, but not needed.
-Radar 2(1 point): You initially start with it and its completely competent on its own. Having it always active without having to see the guards making it slightly easier.
-Hacking Robots( 1 point): Outside of a single encounter, which is still very doable without it. They are never a problem. Very clear set paths + easy to read.
-Energy Level(3-5, 3 points): I'm sure others will say differently. But your recharge only works on a bar which isn't completely empty. So unless you are chugging bars, you'll be down to 1 bar quickly. Since Melee, Wall Breaks, use one bar instantly. And other skills burn through them quickly. Move up if you want pure stealth run, but stock up on bars too to combine with cloak.
-Typoon(1-2, 3 points): Oddly enough, I never needed to use it once. As long as you explore and have good hacking. The time never called once for me to use it.

Pretty much useless
-Stealth Enhancer(Everything in it, 7 points): Radar and being able to go third person is more than enough. Ones like Smart Vision make it only more irrelevant.
-Hacking Analyzer(2 points): Only one I didn't even try, because I never once thought I needed it. Hacking Stealth is all you need.
-Hyper-Oxy(1-2, 2 points). You don't really sprint in missions and the hubs aren't particularly big. You also recharge sprint so quick anyways.
-Recoil(1-2, 2 points): Useless, you shouldn't be spam shooting as it is and recoil is hardly an issue with any weapon.
-Aim Stabilizer(3 points): Game really just doesn't allow for run and gunning outside a single stage. Enemies gun you down to fast and the aiming on the weapons that keep quiet is already very good.
-Flash suppressant(1 point): Outside of mines that don't kill you, never once had a flash thrown at me.
-Cooldown Timer(1point), Visual keys, audio keys, and just playing the game makes this so very useless.
-Silent run(1-3, 3 points): I had it but never used it. I'm crouched anytime which produces zero sound anyways. Simply moving slow and efficiently makes it useless. Drains those energy bars once more.
-Sprint enhancer(1point): if you want to move faster. Its fine, but once again. You regen sprint fast enough, the hubs aren't big, nor are the levels, and spiriting just draws unwanted attention. The only use I had for it was with getting more distance out of cloaking and longer jumps.

Qwomo

(late game spoiler probably)
Welp, they sure lay the "Hyron Project" stuff on thick. Either it plays into the last few levels, or they're making room for a Deus Ex: Bioshock sequel. The whole "You need see it to believe it, Jensen. And maybe some day you will..." was rather unsubtle on Darrow's part.

Mindlog

Derrick01 said:
grenade launcher :D
Hold onto that weapon. 1 clip will destroy anything before it even fires at you -_-
Linkzg said:
I'm trying to do the "foxiest of the hounds" and never trigger an alarm

don't know if it counts
I hope you get an answer on this one, but I will say this. A later stretch of the game is going to be virtually impossible if we're not allowed to have enemies go hostile on us. I really hope it's just actual base/camera alarms.

If it's not then stock up on cloak and extra energy. A maxed inventory full of gas grenades may also be necessary.

I am kind of hoping that the sequel for this game is another prequel.

cackhyena

In the Hive, I'm trying to get in the room with two computers just outside the big room. Every time I cross the doorway, everything goes on alert...I don't get it. There's no one looking and no cameras. What am I missing?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:

http://i.picpar.com/9f5b75a27754e1dd2ad43e519bd9bc51ce721e8d.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.picpar.com/df1a0e9ed48faa8a9b9eb7ed56ad30840c1e418d.jpg[IMG]

this one's alright for the most part, but in bright places like that it really is terrible

basically shadow detail moves with me, but not smoth in any way, there's just a line a couple feet in front of me that "CUTS" shadows and makes them render properly as i move. The "line" moves with me wether i go forward or backwards. Its really distracting :/[/QUOTE]
I don't have that issue at all.

TUROK

SalsaShark said:

basically shadow detail moves with me, but not smoth in any way, there's just a line a couple feet in front of me that "CUTS" shadows and makes them render properly as i move. The "line" moves with me wether i go forward or backwards. Its really distracting :/
Turn up your anisotropic filtering setting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
shintoki said:
-Silent run(1-3, 3 points): I had it but never used it. I'm crouched anytime which produces zero sound anyways. Simply moving slow and efficiently makes it useless. Drains those energy bars once more.
-Sprint enhancer(1point): if you want to move faster. Its fine, but once again. You regen sprint fast enough, the hubs aren't big, nor are the levels, and spiriting just draws unwanted attention. The only use I had for it was with getting more distance out of cloaking and longer jumps.

There's questionable widespread usefulness of some augs, but at the end of the day each aug is only as useful as you want it to be, what you need, and how you play. These two in specific are very useful for my build. It prevents me having to always crouch behind cover and slowly work my way through a room, and instead allows me to sprint and jump around like a ninja, taking motherfuckers out without a sound.

Mindlog said:
I hope you get an answer on this one, but I will say this. A later stretch of the game is going to be virtually impossible if we're not allowed to have enemies go hostile on us. I really hope it's just actual base/camera alarms.

If it's not then stock up on cloak and extra energy. A maxed inventory full of gas grenades may also be necessary.
It's not impossible, and I'm pretty sure it counts the scenario towards the end of the game (
you're talking about the crazed workers, right? If so, there's plenty of paths that make it possible to do it with total stealth. It's totally possible - just difficult. :p
). That particular scene with
saving Malik
, however? I think it's fine. I basically ran to and melee'd everyone as fast as I could without a care for stealth and the Foxiest of the Hounds still popped at the end.

Jtrizzy

Tiktaalik said:
Trying to run this on my PC but I've gotten two hard crashes (black screen, sound stuck on where the game crashed, have to reboot).

I updated my drivers after the first crash so it's not that. What ever else could be the issue? I don't often play cutting edge PC games, I usually stick to indie fare with lighter requirements, so I'm at a loss.

Core2 Duo 3Ghz
4 Gig Ram
Radeon HD4850 512MB

Turning off DX11 worked for me, I was having the same problem. Others have said to turn off v sync and triple buffering in game and force it through your video card.

I'm still having a problem when I exit to steam. It freezes my pc when syncing at 27% every time.

cackhyena

cackhyena said:
In the Hive, I'm trying to get in the room with two computers just outside the big room. Every time I cross the doorway, everything goes on alert...I don't get it. There's no one looking and no cameras. What am I missing?
Anyone? Glitch?

Mindlog

Revolutionary said:
It's not impossible, and I'm pretty sure it counts the scenario towards the end of the game (
you're talking about the crazed workers, right? If so, there's plenty of paths that make it possible to do it with total stealth. It's totally possible - just difficult. :p
). That particular scene with
saving Malik
, however? I think it's fine. I basically ran to and melee'd everyone as fast as I could without a care for stealth and the Foxiest of the Hounds still popped at the end.
Is there an alternate path to the final stretch?
The single long hallway before the elevator down into the Presidium final chamber.
I was stealthy through the whole thing until after the aug clinic. I just went with a lot of cloaking, sprinting and Icarus-ing.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
I don't have that issue at all.

keep in mind that its not every shadow. I already know of another Gaffer having the exact same issue with an AMD card (i have a gtx 560ti).

If anyone could check that specific part and maybe take a screenshot
the part where you fight two robots in order to deactivate the security system
id greatly appreciate it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
keep in mind that its not every shadow. I already know of another Gaffer having the exact same issue with an AMD card (i have a gtx 560ti).

If anyone could check that specific part and maybe take a screenshot
the part where you fight two robots in order to deactivate the security system
id greatly appreciate it.
I remember that area and I would have noticed if it looked that bad.

Qwomo said:
(late game spoiler probably)
Welp, they sure lay the "Hyron Project" stuff on thick. Either it plays into the last few levels, or they're making room for a Deus Ex: Bioshock sequel. The whole "You need see it to believe it, Jensen. And maybe some day you will..." was rather unsubtle on Darrow's part.
I have insane amount of confidence in Montreal studio. I really hope they make a sequel. I really do. Maybe a true sequel to DX:GOTY.

Mindlog said:
Is there an alternate path to the final stretch?
The single long hallway before the elevator down into the Presidium final chamber.
I was stealthy through the whole thing until after the aug clinic. I just went with a lot of cloaking, sprinting and Icarus-ing.
Yeah that's pretty much what I resorted to at times as well. The
crazed workers are stupid and don't react well to sounds so just use that to your advantage and sprint past them while cloaked if you can't find stealthy paths.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
I remember that area and I would have noticed if it looked that bad.

:/

i actually see it in plenty of games, im completely clueless as to what it might be then

any ideas?

Vaporak

Can anyone tell me where the merchants are in Hengsha?
I'm there for the second time and the only merchant I ever found is now offlimits because he was in the capsul hotel that got raided; so now there doesn't seem to be any merchants at all in this hub :/

Echoplx

Vaporak said:
Can anyone tell me where the merchants are in Hengsha?
I'm there for the second time and the only merchant I ever found is now offlimits because he was in the capsul hotel that got raided; so now there doesn't seem to be any merchants at all in this hub :/

There's two, one on the bottom floor of the hotel and another down some road in an open storage garage thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:

i actually see it in plenty of games, im completely clueless as to what it might be then

any ideas?
That goes way beyond shadow draw distance, those textures are all fucked up too. Try wiping drivers (driver sweeper) and install the latest set.

SalsaShark said:

any ideas?
Maybe your card doesn't support latest shader model or some gig like that. I had similar problem with an old Geforce card where things used to be "foggy".

Edit; fuck iphone's autocorrect!

Grayman

Playing slow and really starting to enjoy the game more and more. I would like more praxis points to spend early on though.
SalsaShark said:

[IxMG]http://i.picpar.com/9f5b75a27754e1dd2ad43e519bd9bc51ce721e8d.jpg[/IMG]

[xIMG]http://i.picpar.com/df1a0e9ed48faa8a9b9eb7ed56ad30840c1e418d.jpg[/IMG]

are you running any custom aa/af/texture/lod settings in a control panel?

I have seen something like that consistently in Quake 3/Live where it is a perfect portion of a circle in the fov but I do not know what the problem is called. Well in those it is the inverse, good graphics up front and a very clear line where the game needs AF or whatever fixes that.

Top Bottom