• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I like how using the double takedown turns your targets into kung fu masters, even if they're civilians.

And how Jensen can walk around certain companies and pose as an employee, when he has a Sarif Industries logo literally tattooed on his forehead.

Kodiak said:
there is a 5 minute on rails sequence of walking with that chick, and tons of little cutscenes that take you out of the experience.

what's wrong with the game taking, what, ten minutes to set the experience up? You've got 40 or so hours of gameplay ahead.

Gvaz

Banned
Since my saves don't copy over...I'm replaying the boring beginning for the third time.

I'm kind of sick of doing stealth, I think instead I'm going to kill everything with a pulse. woot

I am almost close to beat the game. I have to say, I am kinda of disapointed. Story its a bit cliche and silly. But the artwork and gameplay makes for it.

Kodiak said:
there is a 5 minute on rails sequence of walking with that chick, and tons of little cutscenes that take you out of the experience.
That opening sequence is actually the opening cutscene, except it's playable. It's a way of introducing you to the franchise, the characters and it's also a tutorial.

I liked that prologue!

SpartanForce said:
I am almost close to beat the game. I have to say, I am kinda of disapointed. Story its a bit cliche and silly. But the artwork and gameplay makes for it.

I thought the same, but hey, I really don't think the tone/story could have changed too much since the game is a prequel to Deus Ex, which is pretty damn cheesy

and awesome

shagg_187 said:
That opening sequence is actually the opening cutscene, except it's playable. It's a way of introducing you to the franchise, the characters and it's also a tutorial.

I liked that prologue!

It's also the part where most players don't realize they can completely avoid any combat before the game introduces stealth. I sneaked my way around guards.

as Sarif's head of security, my responsibilities include hiding from armed soldiers, who'll surely murder my coworkers.

Jensen's itinerary:
-break into offices
-hack into computers and read personal emails
-sneak into the lady's bathroom
-steal money from offices
-jump off balcony
-sneak into a different lady's bathroom
-crawl through vents
-steal company property
-turn off security cameras

Sullichin

Question about "Mother's Ties" quest...

I didn't
unlock the safe with megan's bracelet in it before I told her mom what happened. I have it now but since I completed the quest she won't take it.
Am I missing out on something important?

Sullichin said:

I didn't
unlock the safe with megan's bracelet in it before I told her mom what happened. I have it now but since I completed the quest she won't take it.
No.

watershed

Banned
Sullichin said:

I didn't
A nice fluttering feeling in your heart maybe but not much else.

So I've been playing it, and I have to admit, it is awesome. I expected it to be a mediocre game, not worthy of Deus Ex, but my impression so far is that I was very wrong. I am loving it. Only serious complaint I have is the way the batteries work.

I am focusing on hacking, and going non-lethal, but not sure how long my patience will hold. I'll probably start killing people at some point.

Sullichin

artwalknoon said:
A nice fluttering feeling in your heart maybe but not much else.

Thanks. But I also mean that I didn't read what was in the safe before completing the quest, which had new information in it. Still not a big deal?

RedSwirl

Trying to find out why this game generally runs like crap on my system no matter what I do.

I can't quite tell what it runs at normally, but the game stutters a lot while moving through narrow corridors down to probably sub-15fps. I've messed with all the AA settings, left the textures on Trilleniar, and eventually turned off DX11 entirely, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
Radeon HD6850 1GB
3GB RAM
Windows Vista 32bit.
1440 x 900

watershed

Banned
Sullichin said:
Thanks. But I also mean that I didn't read what was in the safe before completing the quest, which had new information in it. Still not a big deal?
In that case I'm not sure. It might effect how much experience you get from completing the quest. If you didn't read everything before finishing the quest I think you wouldn't get the experience bonus for reading everything, its an achievement or something.

RedSwirl

Castor Krieg said:
Why would you ever buy a PC game (or any game) at Gamestop?
I happened to have a $50 GameStop gift card.

The store I got it from didn't carry the Augmented Edition for PC. They didn't even think there WAS an Augmented Edition for PC.

Social

I'm kinda relieved that the insane hype filter is fading away from some people's eyes. Snapping out of it amd realising this is just an OK game, it's what I did after playing the leak, and retail hasn't changed much about that feeling.

It makes me wonder when AI and animation will be taken to the next level. Most of HR comes straight out of 1999. You can predict enemy behavior perfectly, and it's not clever.

Still a decent game with good but very static level design

Grayman

Gvaz said:
Since my saves don't copy over...I'm replaying the boring beginning for the third time.

I'm kind of sick of doing stealth, I think instead I'm going to kill everything with a pulse. woot
you can't put the saves on a usb and reload them after a format or on a new PC?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BramVD said:
I'm kinda relieved that the insane hype filter is fading away from some people's eyes. Snapping out of it amd realising this is just an OK game, it's what I did after playing the leak, and retail hasn't changed much about that feeling.

I wish I had a Jensen punch gif for this post.

watershed

Banned
I think the game's pretty great. Most of my issues with it are minor and there's been nothing so detrimental about the experience that would make me say this game is just okay or average. I think its firmly among the best games of this year easily.

AniHawk

boy that's a long intro. although i am pretty sick right now so i'm not thinking straight either. just got to the point where you can do sidequests and called it a day. hoping it picks up from here on out.

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
Trying to find out why this game generally runs like crap on my system no matter what I do.

I can't quite tell what it runs at normally, but the game stutters a lot while moving through narrow corridors down to probably sub-15fps. I've messed with all the AA settings, left the textures on Trilleniar, and eventually turned off DX11 entirely, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
Radeon HD6850 1GB
3GB RAM
Windows Vista 32bit.
1440 x 900

Is this just more or is this not a very well-optimized game overall?

HR has flaws for sure but it's still my game of the gen.

Honestly only Stalker and Batman could give it a run for it's money for me. Stuff like Uncharted is alright I guess, but I never really want to play that series again. Once is enough for me.

BramVD said:

It makes me wonder when AI and animation will be taken to the next level. Most of HR comes straight out of 1999. You can predict enemy behavior perfectly, and it's not clever.

The animation is shit but that does not make a video game bad

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Even though the stealth is straight from Metal Gear Solid, it's still so rewarding. I guess the formula still works today. I'm also not killing anyone. There is great satisfaction stunning and tranquilizing 8 guys in a row.
3AQmK.gif
Only played 5 hours so far but it feels like much more.

SpartanForce said:

I'm not sure if the story is vague on purpose or if it's just my imagination coupled with the incredibly amount of DX1 Tie Ins.

At the end of the day, I'd like to think that the plot is set up so that you need to use your head to figure out what is really going on. But I'm not so sure.

HP_Wuvcraft said:
I'm not sure if the story is vague on purpose or if it's just my imagination coupled with the incredibly amount of DX1 Tie Ins.

At the end of the day, I'd like to think that the plot is set up so that you need to use your head to figure out what is really going on. But I'm not so sure.

It's sort of dumb that the *MASSIVE SPOILERS*
final villain basically doesn't even become a character until the third act, as well as the macguffin BIG SCARY PLACE BEING BUILT is also only revealed then too

BramVD said:

Still a decent game with good but very static level design

zohxd5.jpg

Is it just me or is it very easy to sway people? All the conversations I've had so far have led to me getting an achievement of some sort but they've all been piss easy.

The social augment is a waste of points.

Blizzard

Banned
Kodiak said:
I actually thought the rail sequence was pretty cool, since you can still look around while following. And it didn't seem to last too long. I'm guessing the rest of the game doesn't do that to you once you get a grasp of the plot, but I dunno.

Grayman

AniHawk said:
boy that's a long intro. although i am pretty sick right now so i'm not thinking straight either. just got to the point where you can do sidequests and called it a day. hoping it picks up from here on out.
it took me a few sessions, even redoing the full opening mission for things to click and really enjoy it. The first time I played I only had a short amount of time and left at a bad point to be stuck and it soured me for awhile. Now I am doing some side quests and exploring the blocks of detroit.

Max

I am not Max
this game. i swear.

with prior knowledge on objectives going into a second playthrough i managed to complete one early
(turning off the satellite signal thing above the gang's hideout)
and a character acknowledged this, so i basically got all giddy and now i'm super excited to see how the progression of the story works out during that part compared to doing it normally.

artwalknoon said:
I'm kinda jealous of your chungking express avatar.
part 1 is amazing

Kintaro said:
I wish I had a Jensen punch gif for this post.

I made this for you. :3

jensen-punch.gif

It's kinda funny now that I think about it, but this game is like Mortal Kombat on SNES where punching people results in sweat flying instead of blood. Oh well.

And yeah, I love breaking people's arms in this game. It's funny that since the animations don't actually do anything other than change the guy's state from awake to unconscious, if you get the animation where you break the arm, and then you wait for his friend to wake him up, suddenly his arm is okay and he can walk around with his gun drawn like nothing happened.

Top Bottom