• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Gila

about 3 hours in...

is there any reason for all these cardboard boxes? Like should I be moving them all to see if there's anything behind it? I've been ignoring them all since the beggining

bathala

Banned
that was intense Malik part (50-60% of the game)
rescuing Malik only armed with a stun gun. ate lots of protein pack to stealth and ran

malfcn said:
What is the point of hacking attempts? I've failed a hack a few times and nothing ever seems to happen. Still says 4-5 attempts available. What is the consequence?

Instead of letting the tracer find you and getting locked out you can bail mid-hack and try again without any time delay.

Bailing and trying again immediately after counts as an attempt.

Kajiba

Quick question. Where are the rocket launchers at? i'm getting ammo everywhere for it but not finding it anywhere. Just been selling the ammo lately just to get money.

I want to blow stuff up on my first run through =/

Gila said:
about 3 hours in...

is there any reason for all these cardboard boxes? Like should I be moving them all to see if there's anything behind it? I've been ignoring them all since the beggining
If you find something it's going to be a vent.
Kajiba said:
Quick question. Where are the rocket launchers at? i'm getting ammo everywhere for it but not finding it anywhere. Just been selling the ammo lately just to get money.

I want to blow stuff up on my first run through =/
You'll find one when you need it! I think there's at least one to be found in the first hub if you search hard enough.
bathala said:
rescuing Malik only armed with a stun gun. ate lots of protein pack to stealth and ran
I took the chance to find out what all those upgrades I put into the 10mm pistol did.

Grisby

Hey guys just reached the second hub and have a question regarding side quests. Namely, when do I start getting more? I've only done one and am at
the penthouse place dodging guards and stuff.
Been to most of the areas like the club and haven't gotten any, :(

Derrick01

Banned
Gila said:
about 3 hours in...

A few have credits or something else under, some large boxes are hiding vents. Most are just there though.

bathala said:

That section was the high light of the game for me. I also discovered the wonders of Revolver + Explosive Rounds upgrade there.

stewacide said:
Sorry, I'm too busy right now to read through all the press, but hate twitchy FPS's but loved Fallout 3: should I get Deus Ex: HR or pass?

In case you missed the previous responses' sarcasm - absolutely get it. It's as far from twitchy as you can get and is very RPG heavy. It has a lot of similar elements to Fallout 3.

stewacide

Snuggler said:

Is it not possible to turn the difficulty way down to avoid the shooter component and focus on the story/adventure? (a la Fallout 3 or Metroid Prime' i.e. first person perspective without being a first person shooter).

I've gotten too little use out of my Xbox 360 with all the 'ADHD' FPSs / lack of thoughtful adventure games; besides LA Noire I haven't touched it in a year.

edit -- sorry I guess I missed the sarcasm :)

bathala

Banned
ILOVEASIANS said:
That section was the high light of the game for me. I also discovered the wonders of Revolver + Explosive Rounds upgrade there.
I only used my revolver on the mech since I'm going for Pacifism.
next play through. gonna unleash hell

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stallion Free said:
That escape sequence? It's completely possible to avoid getting a "hostile" status there.
Yup, I can give you the exact order on which to clear guards or just the quick get away

There is a vent in the right corner, leads you down to the lower floor. Right when you exit the cutscene, jump down there and get into it. 3 move up to the top floor, one routes on the stairs. You just have the 5 on the lower floor then. 2 don't move, the other 3 route with one on each side and one full around the room. When you pop the grate, the two at the door will come over then reset. Go out once its clear and just skimmy across the side while under cover.

Takes about a whole 2-3 minutes.

If you want to take out the guards, i'll draw you a map. Its so much easier heh.

Echoplx

Malik related Heng Sha second visit spoilers:

Did anyone else go down to the harvesters base underground after the crash where she dies? You see her body on an operating table :'( I lost it and killed everyone down there

zlatko

Banned
Blizzard said:
Why don't you just change your FOV? I think I have mine set to 90.

I'm broke so I had to rent the PS3 version and I don't see an option to do that, otherwise I would have on a PC version. :(

stewacide said:
Is it not possible to turn the difficulty way down to avoid the shooter component and focus on the story/adventure? (a la Fallout 3 or Metroid Prime' i.e. first person perspective without being a first person shooter).

I've gotten too little use out of my Xbox 360 with all the 'ADHD' FPSs / lack of thoughtful adventure games; besides LA Noire I haven't touched it in a year.

edit -- sorry I guess I missed the sarcasm :)

When you do get it, play on the highest difficulty ("give me Deus Ex"). That will make you want to avoid straight up combat even more and instead force you to play more intelligently and stealthy. You can turn difficulty down at any time (at least you can on PC), so that you don't get too stuck.

Can someone tell me whats up with the green and red energy bars?

I have 3 but only 1 is green and refills.
The others are allways red and never recharge on their own.

I have upgraded the thing to make the bars recharge faster but still its only the first one.

RedSwirl

Paches-EJ- said:
Just completed my 2nd run through. Decided to do a hard mode challenge for myself. The rules? Hard mode, no kills, no praxis point run. It ended up taking me only 10 hours and wasn't as hard as I thought. I ended up taking way different routes, so it was almost like a completely different game the 2nd time around!

phpSOCvlyPM.jpg

Can you confirm if you get fewer experience points on hard?

I'm playing hard the first time through and seem to have trouble getting praxis points. I'm just about to encounter the
mercs for the first time since the prologue in Detroid
and I think I've only gotten maybe four praxis points total so far, and I've been doing side quests.

Paches

TheVampire said:

I have upgraded the thing to make the bars recharge faster but still its only the first one.

The last one is the only one that will recharge if fully depleted. The others will recharge if you semi-deplete them, with cloak or wall-vision, or what have you.

Grisby

TheVampire said:

You need to eat some candy bars. One pip will recharge on its own but you need items to refill the rest.

You use enrgy performing takedowns and other moves.

Blizzard

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
When you do get it, play on the highest difficulty ("give me Deus Ex"). That will make you want to avoid straight up combat even more and instead force you to play more intelligently and stealthy. You can turn difficulty down at any time (at least you can on PC), so that you don't get too stuck.
I don't recommend this. You can turn difficulty down at any time, but if you're afraid of frustration by all means play on normal mode. I was TRYING to avoid combat and still got spotted since I was bad at stealth early on.

Then if you think the game is too easy, turn the difficulty up later.

The easiest difficulty is actually named something like "Tell me a story", so it's intended to be the least combat-heavy and probably easiest to stealth.

TheVampire said:

The first one is the only one that recharges. You have to use consumable items to refill all the others, like candy bars.

Paches

RedSwirl said:
Can you confirm if you get fewer experience points on hard?

I'm playing hard the first time through and seem to have trouble getting praxis points. I'm just about to encounter the
mercs for the first time since the prologue in Detroid
and I think I've only gotten maybe four praxis points total so far, and I've been doing side quests.

Well, you might get a smaller total bonus for beating the missions themselves, but I was still receiving 500 for Ghost, the correct amount for Merciful Soul, etc... So as far as I could tell, I was collecting the same amount, could be wrong though! If I was actually purchasing the praxis points at LIMB, I would have closer to 30 without doing any side quests, seems pretty much the same.

Zaptruder

Banned
TheVampire said:

You eat energy bars and the muscle powder looking things to regain energy.

If you look around judiciously for them, you'll be able to find a fair number of them.

But if you're not going for a run where you explore every nook and cranny of the world, you might just want to stick to an upgrade path without extra batteries, until very late in the game.

If the game made it so that you'd recharge the first bar always, rather than the last bar, then it would be much more worthwhile - so you could single knock out most guys, but in a pinch you could knock out multiple people.

Qwomo

TheVampire said:
Thats stupid they should all refill over time!
Nah they shouldn't. The system works great as-is. Definitely makes you think and prevents you from just takedowning your way through entire rooms.

Pein

Banned
So I'm 20 minutes into the game and it freezes to a black screen after I go through a door, This is the section where they give you your first praxis. I'm on the 360 version, I've tried reloading the game and starting a new game and it happens every time.

any suggestions?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DO IT! I got one a couple months ago. No regrets.

You most certainly can!

I think the dialog system in this is the best in this gen.
I also like how it tells you at least what Jensen will say. So, yeah, it's like Mass Effect in that often the character expands without your input, but because you have a little more direct context, you can better control what you want to say and hear back.

And some of the conversations actually get heated. Very enjoyable.

KillerAJD

Man, just finished the game, and I really enjoyed my time with it. Played it as a pacifist on the hardest difficulty, which worked out great because I loved the stealth stuff. I even defeated the bosses (except for the last one) with only non-lethal weapons because I didn't trust the trophy description, lol. Made the fights a lot more challenging (lots of reloading), but it made the fights more interesting at least. I'm really glad the game turned out well, and I can definitely see how much passion the guys who made it have for the series. I didn't play DE1, but I'm very interested to see where the series goes. I only have one complaint with the game, and that's the load times. It's something I have with and "open" rpg like this (Fallout 3/NV is another one). I constantly save/reload, and I spent so much damn time watching a little spinning icon. Probably not the greatest way to play these games, but I hate messing up in them, at least in the beginning.

Paches

Qwomo said:
Nah they shouldn't. The system works great as-is. Definitely makes you think and prevents you from just takedowning your way through entire rooms.

The only thing I would change about the system is add a biomed bot equivalent like was in Deus Ex 1 in LIMB clinics that recharge you for free. What ended up happening to me was I was so conservative and ended up with a ton of muscle bars that I never really used except for some kind of crazy spot where I would turn on run quietly and stealth at the same time in my first play through.

RedSwirl

Paches-EJ- said:
Well, you might get a smaller total bonus for beating the missions themselves, but I was still receiving 500 for Ghost, the correct amount for Merciful Soul, etc... So as far as I could tell, I was collecting the same amount, could be wrong though! If I was actually purchasing the praxis points at LIMB, I would have closer to 30 without doing any side quests, seems pretty much the same.

Wait what?!

Qwomo said:
I think it works well as it is too, but really how much different would it be if they just let them all recharge over time? If you didnt takedown you're way through rooms, you would just dispose of enemies in some other way. It's not like having all bars full would really give you a free pass, as you are still fucked if someone sees you taking a guy down. If they recharged it would also be one less thing to have to pick up and carry.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Paches-EJ- said:
Doing hard right now.

I'm basically at the same exact amount as my normal one after the first mission. 1 point in XP and 1 found Praxies. Takedowns and hacks are still the same amount too.

Paches

3chopl0x said:
I think that's fair considering you've invested substantial points upgrading a useless battery.

It would make the game retarded easy if you just got stealth ranked up to full and battery pack to full (recharge and number of batteries). You could literally stealth to every place nonstop and hide in crannies.

Echoplx

Paches-EJ- said:
It would make the game retarded easy if you just got stealth ranked up to full and battery pack to full (recharge and number of batteries). You could literally stealth to every place nonstop and hide in crannies.

Obviously they would need to increase the regen times for the extra batteries to make it balanced, but not recharging them at all is stupid.

Qwomo

Having only the first bar recharge is just a great way for them to apply ammo scarcity to energy. You have to stop and weigh what's more important: this bullet, or this nutrient bar? It's wonderful.

It's called "game design".

Paches

Qwomo said:
Having only the first bar recharge is just a great way for them to apply ammo scarcity to energy. You have to stop and weigh what's more important: this bullet, or this nutrient bar? It's wonderful.

It's called "game design".

Pretty much. I am sure they had a discussion at some point discussing whether or not to recharge every battery and talked about what the player would do with it. It would break the game, plain and simple.

I maxed out stealth at the end, seems completely balanced around 1 battery. I couldn't imagine how dumbthe game would be running around for 35+ secs completely invisible.

Anyways: Just beat the game all endings included.....god this was such an amazing fucking ride.

WE NEED MO GAMES LIKE THIS!!!

Yo Gotti

Banned
Yea, my biggest complaint about the game is how the batteries don't recharge fully. Really makes it hard to use the augments at all. They should have balanced it the other way around... even if it took a few minutes to recharge or something.

1stStrike

Banned
I love GAF threads. It soon diverges from anything related to the story down to a complete breakdown and nit picking of every single feature and function in the game. Just fucking enjoy the game guys :p

Paches

3chopl0x said:
Great 'game design' adding a augmentation which does shit all then!

Which aug, number of batteries? I did plenty of tactical cloaking by not draining a full battery so it would keep the 2nd,3rd, 4th batteries full so I didn't have to eat bars.

Top Bottom