• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

zoner said:
Actually if you do a kill it's more likely to alert everyone else. If anything, non-lethal is easy mode. Don't stun guns work instantly? Silenced pistol means you have to headshot, and that's not enough sometimes.

You have to basically be in takedown range to use the stun gun though. Plus ammo can be very limited. You'll find way more 10mm ammo.

Has anyone come across a bug with the menu where it won't register mouse clicks?

I hit esc then try clicking on save or load and it doesn't work, but if I use quick save or quick load it works. Bit strange, but usually a quick load will fix the situation.

The Xtortionist said:
You have to basically be in takedown range to use the stun gun though. Plus ammo can be very limited. You'll find way more 10mm ammo.

And it makes noise. Pretty sure they detect you too (for a second), even if their back is turned.

Solo

Nice Montreal touches with Olympic Stadium and the Funicular. Hoping to find something Habs and/or Expos related too.

Bazhard

Banned
Is there a way to stop the police from killing you? i did the police station thing but didn't kill anyone and they are all over my fucking ass

Oooh wow does the silenced, armor piercing, laser-sighted 10mm pistol ever make things easy and satisfying. You can easily pick off an entire room of enemies without getting an alert. My murderous second run through the game has been just as fun as the first.

dmshaposv

I have yet to get the game (waiting for a discount or price cut) but from skimming through the last couple of pages it seems Jensen on lethal takedown-run is essentially creating more customers for Sarif Industries.

Lakitu

st5fu
revolverjgw said:
Oooh wow does the silenced, armor piercing, laser-sighted 10mm pistol ever make things easy and satisfying. You can easily pick off an entire room of enemies without getting an alert. My murderous second run through the game has been just as fun as the first.

Completely agree. Upgraded, to me, it's the best weapon in the game.

SkylineRKR

Bazhard said:
Is there a way to stop the police from killing you? i did the police station thing but didn't kill anyone and they are all over my fucking ass

I ran into that problem when I escaped while being spotted by the sentries. I reloaded the last bit of that mission, and got out without being spotted. All cops were nice to me.

Dresden

The Xtortionist said:
Ammo isn't a huge problem with the stun gun. It's basically a free takedown.

Add another person to the 'I hate the 2nd boss' club. Im playing on hard and its super annoying.

I hate how long it takes to switch weapons while im in the heat of battle. The selection wheel is dicey for me (it might be my controller) and also the animations when I pull out the weapons looks cool, but takes a bit long while im trying to maximize the time the boss being stunned.

I didnt put any points into the dermal aug so I dont have the electricity immunity, and that really ruins my chances at winning the battle.

I'd hate to have to start the fuckin game over. =\

damn that's nice

Can I honestly just say this game is beautiful and masterfully crafted even though the plot seems to be exactly like Deus Ex 1.

edit: also where is mp deus ex 1 had mp

edit2: i dont care if its terrible

Solo said:
Nice Montreal touches with Olympic Stadium and the Funicular. Hoping to find something Habs and/or Expos related too.
That mission is full of cute little references, like the fact that
the room in which Eliza is "not found" is 404, and she's actually broadcasting from room 802-11. Also, there is an email about biased coverage of the Australian civil war penned by John Howard.

revolverjgw said:

Not to mention it looks fuckin bad ass and when you fire it, it sounds awesome. I love the "THUNK" sound it makes w/ the silencer.

paparazzo

Am I screwed here? Regarding the Hunting the Hacker quest

I went to the Hive bar and didn't get any info out of the manager and now he won't talk to me. I did the quest for the bartender but ended up killing Jaya and accidentally saved over that save and now I have no idea how to get to Tong and my hacking level is not high enough to get through.

Advice?

Kalnos

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
Add another person to the 'I hate the 2nd boss' club. Im playing on hard and its super annoying.

I hate how long it takes to switch weapons while im in the heat of battle. The selection wheel is dicey for me (it might be my controller) and also the animations when I pull out the weapons looks cool, but takes a bit long while im trying to maximize the time the boss being stunned.

I didnt put any points into the dermal aug so I dont have the electricity immunity, and that really ruins my chances at winning the battle.

I didn't even use the electricity. I just waited for her to attack, dodged her and shot her once or twice with a pistol, ran a bit away, and repeated.

Enco

For some reason the line that made me believe that I was in a real world the most is:

"Forget about it man, it's chilly outside, lets go inside"

Can't remember what they were talking about before. The line just made the people feel more real. I love listening to random people talk.

Iron_Scimitar said:

Stun Gun is your friend man. Dodge, stun gun, shoot with either shotgun or rifle. Then Sprint to get away.

There are lockers all over the place with ammunition, weapons, and hypostims to stock up on in between attacks.

Londa

Banned
SpudBud said:
I can't wait for Modernization IX.

I love reading the emails in this game.

I have to agree, I love the feeling of reading things I shouldn't have access to. But in real life? I would never do it.

MJLord

Iron_Scimitar said:

What i did to beat her was
when she charges you run towards her and sprint as she passes you, that way she detonates claymores and you are safe, you can turn around and put some lead in her. rinse and repeat

Deadbeat

Banned
Stun Gun does everything. Stuns enemies, stuns bosses, stuns robots, stuns turrets, stuns cameras, stuns hobos, stuns cardboard boxes, stuns Stun Guns, etc.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm in my first visit to china. I've been exploring, but where are the side quests I can get here?

I just
did the entire quest with the asian hooker and got the achievement at the end.
Is there others I can get? I haven't triggered any of the story sequence, so I'm not sure if I have to do that first before more open up. I read talking to bar tender starts one at the Hive, but all I can do is buy drinks from him. Another quest is supposedly from going into the pods place, and someone walks up to you to start one, but no one ever approached me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Deadbeat said:
Stun Gun does everything. Stuns enemies, stuns bosses, stuns robots, stuns turrets, stuns cameras, stuns hobos, stuns cardboard boxes, stuns Stun Guns, etc.

I actually used it in a desperation move against the first boss and started laughing my ass off. Stun gun so imba.

Kalnos said:
I didn't even use the electricity. I just waited for her to attack, dodged her and shot her once or twice with a pistol, ran a bit away, and repeated.

I think im over thinking it. I'll try that. Thank you.

Kazzy

Just finished mopping up with Detroit for the first time, yes the boss battle was indeed bullshit. In the end I got round it by throwing a concussion grenade to let me get close and just used the stun gun until they were dead, easiest fight ever!

Maybe it was just me but I had to leave the 'Cloak and Dagger' side-quest simply because I couldn't see anyway I could do the final part completely stealth (capture the gang leader). I had to make a separate file in the end just to see the conclusion, otherwise it would have ruined my pacifist and stealth playthrough. It seemed a bit odd considering every other mission has allowed me to tackle it in a passive way.

MJLord

btw I have NO IDEA where i can buy weapons in Hengsha, I went all the way from getting there to halfway through Montreal without them. Would be nice to know where I can find out though.

I really like the topical conversation on the streets of Heng Sha..

not much of a spoiler, but i'll hide it anyway
I like how when you're walking by the Hive if you don't want to pay to get in, you overhear two npcs discussing how a friend of theirs knows how to get in without paying.. but he won't show them where the secret entrance is.

As for me, I know exactly what kind of game I'm playing.. so I immediately start looking for an alternate route inside

ALaz502 said:
Stun Gun is your friend man. Dodge, stun gun, shoot with either shotgun or rifle. Then Sprint to get away.

There are lockers all over the place with ammunition, weapons, and hypostims to stock up on in between attacks.

I didnt carry the stun gun with me :( I've been using the PEPS gun which feels to slow to me but i've forced myself to use it since its my only stun weapon. I had to go to a previous save and search the armory where i previously dropped it. Thank goodness i remembered.

My downfall is going to the lockers, tossing EMP mines, then getting fried and killing myself. I'll skip the EMPs next time...

Kalnos

Banned
MJLord said:
btw I have NO IDEA where i can buy weapons in Hengsha, I went all the way from getting there to halfway through Montreal without them. Would be nice to know where I can find out though.

It's in the same district as the apartments (Youzhao District?) in a back alley.

MJLord said:
What i did to beat her was
when she charges you run towards her and sprint as she passes you, that way she detonates claymores and you are safe, you can turn around and put some lead in her. rinse and repeat

Yeah i noticed that I could do that. I did that during her first charge then i ran to a locker and EMP myself to death. LOL

I'll try that method, thanks!

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Just finished mopping up with Detroit for the first time, yes the boss battle was indeed bullshit. In the end I got round it by throwing a concussion grenade to let me get close and just used the stun gun until they were dead, easiest fight ever!

Maybe it was just me but I had to leave the 'Cloak and Dagger' side-quest simply because I couldn't see anyway I could do the final part completely stealth (capture the gang leader). I had to make a separate file in the end just to see the conclusion, otherwise it would have ruined my pacifist and stealth playthrough. It seemed a bit odd considering every other mission has allowed me to tackle it in a passive way.

If by pacifist you mean not engaging in any combat, no, it isn't possible.. you have to knock him unconscious to complete the quest. That said, you certainly don't have to kill any of them. The PEPS rifle in the Detroit police weapon lockup is great for dealing with groups in non-lethal fashion

MJLord

Iron_Scimitar said:
Yeah i noticed that I could do that. I did that during her first charge then i ran to a locker and EMP myself to death. LOL

I'll try that method, thanks!

Haha ! just keep collecting ammo from lockers and stuff and after a while she'll bite the dust

I know I'm supposed to be sneaky, etc. I'm fine with that, but why even damn lethal takedowns: a. make sound b. give less exp than non-lethal ones? Isn't Ghost and Smooth Operator bonus enough?

Kazzy

Robobandit said:
If by pacifist you mean not engaging in any combat, no, it isn't possible.. you have to knock him unconscious to complete the quest. That said, you certainly don't have to kill any of them. The PEPS rifle in the Detroit police weapon lockup is great for dealing with groups in non-lethal fashion

I mean just knocking them down, the weapons I seem to have which stun aren't suited to large groups. I wasn't aware of that gun I might have to seek it out. Also it seemed at odds with the whole 'no alarm' thing, I really wish the game would keep track of stats! Most of that seems to be based on guesswork.

Kalnos

Banned
So, even though it's too late and I have beaten the game this is actually still bothering me.

If you hack a computer and make a robot friendly and it kills people you instantly become hostile. Does that remove Ghost bonuses? Seems dumb if it does.

Castor Krieg said:
I know I'm supposed to be sneaky, etc. I'm fine with that, but why even damn lethal takedowns: a. make sound b. give less exp than non-lethal ones? Isn't Ghost and Smooth Operator bonus enough?

You can get those XP bonuses with lethal takedowns too I believe. Non lethal is a bit more risky as the victim can be revived by another guard.

Exuro

So I finished the game and am about to start a new playthrough going all out stealth. Is there anything that indicates if you've killed a guy or set off an alarm?

Exuro said:
So I finished the game and am about to start a new playthrough going all out stealth. Is there anything that indicates if you've killed a guy or set off an alarm?

Icon when looking over a dead body should be "zzzz" instead of a skull. An alarm is basically when multiple enemies' arrows become red on the radar because of something you did. Scripted events that make all enemies alarmed or hostile don't count, but still stay hidden. Also, the status "alarmed" is fine if it's just one enemy, same with "suspicious" for security cameras.

Kazzy

Exuro said:

I've just had to resort to the markers above downed enemies, if it were a skull I'd know I killed someone. To that end I just strip my inventory of any lethal weapons. The alarm ones I judge purely off getting the 'Ghost' XP for the most part, the 'smooth operator' doesn't always seem to pop for whatever reason.

I've mentioned it a few times already, but I think its a huge oversight that they don't have some sort of ingame tracker for this sort of stuff.

Loam

Truly fantastic game. My only complaint is that sinking points into hacking is pretty much required. There were a few side missions that I imagine you wouldn't be able to complete without it, not to mention a lot of story information/clues are only available via hacking PCs. On top of it all the experience reward and possibility of bonus xp/items really made it a necessity. I often found myself hacking systems I already had codes for, or disabling security hubs even after I had subdued all the guards as to not miss out on anything.

you keep posting that video lol

edit: also Adam Jensen has no penis. By the looks of his body it seems like the whole thing is just encased in a steel shell.

No wonder he keeps slapping them hookers.

Top Bottom