• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I wonder what they'll announce tomorrow

8604F6D9EB05C27A7AC3071588FED2C6D7BC7AF7

Solo

Just finished Montreal. Man, each hub in this game is shorter than the previous. Anyways, shit is getting real/awesome now. AIs and shit, fuck yeah. The Illuminati hand statue at Picus fucking made me feel like a giddy little fanboy. Nice touch!

The second boss was a joke like the first boss. Same strategy applies. I had it a bit tougher this time since I had no stun gun ammo and doing it with EMP grenades was trickier, but I managed.

Exuro

harriet the spy said:
I am playing this game on Steam and I have a weird problem with it.
I will preface by saying that I rarely play FPS on PC. Basically, while I can tell the framerate is pretty solid (by staying still in front of tons of shit happening), whenever I move the mouse, I find that the screen flow (for lack of a better world) feels very 'jerky'. Like it goes from the start position to the end position in one frame or something, or as if there was some sort of dead zone on my mouse movement. A couple of hypothesis:

a) Some kind of hardware issue (i have iMac 27 2010, so intel i7 an ATI Radeon HD 4850).
b) my mouse sucks (it's a super shitty mouse)
c) I am not used to being part of the PC master race and console got me used to something else (either control or display)

Right now this is fairly distracting, almost preventing me from playing the game.
Since you have a crappy mouse this wouldn't help, but I turned down the in game sensitivity to 1 and cranked up my mouse's dpi and it played a lot smoother.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Solo said:
Just finished Montreal. Man, each hub in this game is shorter than the previous. Anyways, shit is getting real/awesome now. AIs and shit, fuck yeah. The Illuminati hand statue at Picus fucking made me feel like a giddy little fanboy. Nice touch!

The second boss was a joke like the first boss. Same strategy applies. I had it a bit tougher this time since I had no stun gun ammo and doing it with EMP grenades was trickier, but I managed.
Montreal isn't really a hub. The only "hubs" are Detroit and Hengsha, the rest of the areas you visit are specifically for missions.

Nihilistic Monk said:
If you're not going for the insane pacifist achievement like RPS.com said, there is little punishment for actually going full on rather than stealth....

I'm trying to play it stealthily but fatally. I want to be a silent dickhead. It seems hard to actually kill people and minimise alarms and such though, at least based on the first mission. It's early doors so far, so I'll see if that remains that way.

Solo

Stallion Free said:
Montreal isn't really a hub. The only "hubs" are Detroit and Hengsha, the rest of the areas you visit are specifically for missions.

Well, whichever way you look at it, apparently I've been to them all now, and only have return trips for the rest of the game.

Which would definitely make the game world smaller than DX1's.

I just started playing this last night and wow, have to say I'm pretty impressed!

It looks good and runs well on my decidedly modest machine (3.2 Core Duo, GTX260). Great art design, fantastic music, and it just feels right. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
revolverjgw said:
A third hub!

(actually I'd be pretty annoyed if they announced something like that so soon, but of course I'd buy it)
I'm expecting some kind of DLC but nothing "big" like a hub.

PatchRowcester

Neo Member
Thank you so much for the effort in creating this thread. The more people know about this fantastic game, the better.

They treated the PC version with a lot of respect.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Solo said:
Well, whichever way you look at it, apparently I've been to them all now, and only have return trips for the rest of the game.

Which would definitely make the game world smaller than DX1's.
There are new places post Montreal, similar to Montreal (or in DX1 terms like going to the sub base).

Finished it, and yeah I take back what I said before about the 3rd boss. It makes complete sense when you've got the last couple of pieces of the puzzle. I watched the entire credits
and got the achievement for finding out that Megan goes off to work with Bob Page and creates the nano-virus from the first game. Which was awesome since she mentions moving to nano-tech research when you rescue her and she fixes your rig.
Looks like a pretty fun place to work, but how long was this game in development? Some of the staff appear to have had multiple children over the life of the project.

Final impressions:

I decided to go with the Illuminati in the end, since I believe in the idea of sensible regulation of research like stem-cells and human cloning. I do wish that there had been more opportunities to speak with Taggart about the specifics of his beliefs, because I certainly felt more comfortable with his perspective by the end than I did with Sarif's. And it felt wrong to broadcast the truth, or conceal the truth without any context, after I had just persuaded Darrow that it would destroy the human spirit. It just seemed like either option would turn augmented people against regular people or vice versa.

Also, Eliza told me that everyone lies so who am I to argue.

For the most part I really enjoyed the story, but one thing really bugged me. I said earlier in the thread that it felt like a really personal story, so it was disappointing to find Megan, share a few words and then say goodbye; possibly forever depending on your choice at the end. It felt like there could have been more discussion about how she became so willing to work with MJ12 in spite of having been kidnapped by them, although her ethics were obviously sketchy given the whole patient X thing with Adam.

Still, the parts where I was helping out an old police buddy, or searching for answers about what happened to Megan for her mum, were the high points of the game for me. It was a shame that the narrative got so conspiratorial by the end, I think it would have worked better had it been approached like a Witcher game, where you have an intense personal story which plays out against the backdrop of a cataclysmic shift in the politics of the world. Also I initially found the Darrow as mad scientist angle hard to swallow but they do a good job of selling it retroactively.

My only major complaint was the lack of malleability. Too many static props in the environment, in the first game you could pick up more than you couldn't in most areas. And aside from seemingly minor alterations to the story, like the 3rd boss or Zelazny calling off the Belltower patrols for you if you let him live, it didn't feel anywhere near as flexible as the first game. That said, it kicked the shit out of any other game I've played lately in both those respects, with the exception of The Witcher 2.

In general it definitely felt like Fallout 3; that is, a game made by people who love and respect the source material, so even though there are a few places where they don't quite "get it", the game is still great. And there were some nice little changes to systems from the first game, like making disabling mines more intuitive and making hacking awesome. At first I was annoyed that there was no lockpicking but the hacking game more than made up for the incongruity of a world which was apparently on the brink of devolving from keyless locks back to tumblers.

Definitely one of the best games of this year overall, now I'm jonesing to hear what's coming on the 29th too.

Solo

Stallion Free said:
There are new places post Montreal.

Are there? I thought the game was just Det -> Hengsha -> Mont ->
Det -> Hengsha

I suppose you mean new areas within the hubs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Solo said:
Det -> Hengsha

Nope, new areas away from the hubs, each as long as the Montreal segment.
Singapore. Panacea.

AEREC

I hope they annouce a harder difficulty or maybe an insane mode where if you die it's over...kinda like the Witcher 2 had.

Im about to finish the game tonight as I
am at the Hryon machine in Panchea
but the game has been rather easy up to this point on the hardest difficulty setting.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Solo said:
Det -> Hengsha

You get to revisit both Detriot and Hegasha, each with a new area unlocked.
Basically, each have two new side quests and one new main mission.

Then you get your final 3 areas in succession. Each as long as the previous ones like Medical Building or Montreal.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm really beginning to hate this fucking game. That method of killing the first boss in using an EMP grenade/ assault rifle, grenade/ rifle doesn't work. Neither does anything else I try. Shits about to be traded in to Amazon, its not fun any more.

truly101 said:
I'm really beginning to hate this fucking game. That method of killing the first boss in using an EMP grenade/ assault rifle, grenade/ rifle doesn't work. Neither does anything else I try. Shits about to be traded in to Amazon, its not fun any more.

Reduce the difficulty.

truly101 said:

what? first boss was a piece of cake. Are you using cover?

truly101 said:

Use the run button? Chuck secondaries out from behind cover?

Solo

Man, Detroit under martial law is some shit. Some hobo was down in Earl's Court trying to give a speech to lead the uprising. I knocked his shit back to 2015.

I also got a Jack Kevorkian achievement. LOL.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Discotheque said:
what? first boss was a piece of cake. Are you using cover?
I don't think the boss was a piece of cake at all, but it also wasn't impossible.

Solo said:
Man, Detroit under martial law is some shit. Some hobo was down in Earl's Court trying to give a speech to lead the uprising. I knocked his shit back to 2015.

I did a sweet dunk. Luddites fear Jensen's mad jumps.

Echoplx

Can someone please tell me how to beat the third boss, shit is fucked.

As soon as he sees me I'm dead, I even carried a turret down with me but it won't even recognize him, my HUD is full of fuck and all my augs are dead

How the fuck do I even?

Stet

Banned
I found the first boss irritating as hell, only because I had spent the whole game up until that point doing a no-kill no-alert run and besides being forced to kill him, I had absolutely no lethal weapons and had to run around picking them up the whole time.

Solo

truly101 said:

Stun gun, then load his face with lead when he's quivering. Repeat like twice and he's dead.

Downloading this on steam now :). I've been trying to ignore this game until I could buy it so I'm pretty pumped now that I can play it.

I don't know much about Deus Ex but I'm going to try to go as stealth-focused as possible. I've heard you can do zero-kill games (excluding bosses)?

Solo said:

I played ball off his face. He's quite resilient.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
33-Hit-Combo said:
Use the run button? Chuck secondaries out from behind cover?

I just beat him. I only had 3 grenades, 2 EMPs and a concussion. While those did the damage, he lost track of me. I picked up a red barrel, hit RB, he turned, fired, boom, cutscene. Aggravating. The cover system doesn't do much good, its too unresponsive for quick moves and he circle strafes faster than my guy moves. I kept a column between him and me, but sometimes he'd do that insta-grab bullshit. he did that one time when I was behind him with the shot gun. he didn't even turn around first. Thats when I knew he was poorly designed.

So the consensus on the story is good? Does it tie in well with the original? That's one of the things I'm most interested in learning about this one...it sounds like they really managed to nail the gameplay, but I'm really curious as to how the story fares.

Not sure when I'll be getting it. I want to get the Augmented edition, and was going to get it from Target, as I have a $50 gift card there. They're out of stock, though...

Solo

SenseiJinx said:
So the consensus on the story is good? Does it tie in well with the original?

I'm only about two-thirds into it. Story so far is pulpy conspiracy fun like DX1 without yet hitting the heights/memorable characters of DX1. As for tie-ins, so far its mostly been some name-dropping and the occasional piece of imagery. Like, in Montreal you walk into a building and see
a giant hand holding a globe
, like in the MJ-12 building in DX1.

Recarpo

3chopl0x said:

As soon as he sees me I'm dead, I even carried a turret down with me but it won't even recognize him, my HUD is full of fuck and all my augs are dead

How the fuck do I even?

Typhoon spamming is very effective against that boss.

Solo

I'd love to hear if Warren Spector has played HR and what he thinks. I'd also like to ask him why he let Harvey Smith run the series off the tracks in the second game.

Exuro

3chopl0x said:

How the fuck do I even?
If you want to be super safe go to the corner of the room wait for him to show up, throw a couple shots and then run to the other side. Takes forever to kill him(dont forget to manual save) but he'll do down. The other way, better way is to find what side of the room he's on, then go into the middle and just stay on the opposite side between that wall while taking shots at him. Run away if he has a grenade and such.

I did the room corners method and it worked slow but surely.

Solo said:
I'd love to hear if Warren Spector has played HR and what he thinks. I'd also like to ask him why he let Harvey Smith run the series off the tracks in the second game.

On the 'making of', they talk about Spector viewing a demo at Gamescom last year and saying it looks like a true Deus Ex game. Nothing of substance, but there's that.

Snuggler said:
I played basketball with the gang banger's unconscious bodies. The strength aug owns.

you can pick up bodies with the stretch aug?

that's one issue I had. after the strength aug, dragging bodies didn't change.

Solo said:
I'm only about two-thirds into it. Story so far is pulpy conspiracy fun like DX1 without yet hitting the heights/memorable characters of DX1. As for tie-ins, so far its mostly been some name-dropping and the occasional piece of imagery. Like, in Montreal you walk into a building and see
a giant hand holding a globe
, like in the MJ-12 building in DX1.

I'm okay with the pulpy conspiracy stuff. It wasn't what made the story for me in Deus Ex interesting. What really pulled me in about the original was how interesting it made the various subjects it discussed. I would leave the game wanting to learn more about that subject in the real world.

Hopefully HR does something similar for me. =/

Solo said:

He was in a credits picture with some of the Eidos Montreal guys. Some impressions would be really fun to read.

Solo

SenseiJinx said:
I'm okay with the pulpy conspiracy stuff. It wasn't what made the story for me in Deus Ex interesting. What really pulled me in about the original was how interesting it made the various subjects it discussed. I would leave the game wanting to learn more about that subject in the real world.

Hopefully HR does something similar for me. =/

If that's what you're looking for, then you will be very happy with HR.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Linkzg said:
you can pick up bodies with the stretch aug?

that's one issue I had. after the strength aug, dragging bodies didn't change.

You can't pick them up, but you can throw them really far.

Top Bottom