• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

revolverjgw said:
Oooh wow does the silenced, armor piercing, laser-sighted 10mm pistol ever make things easy and satisfying. You can easily pick off an entire room of enemies without getting an alert. My murderous second run through the game has been just as fun as the first.

I can't get it to work properly for me.
I got on a roof & killed a guy with a headshot with a silenced 10mm.

There were another 6 guys with him, but he was in the back & everyone else had their back to him at least 6-8 feet away with no cone of vision facing him.
YET when he goes down in that one silenced headshot, they are all automatically alerted.

What the hell.

paparazzo

For the new page
The Skater said:
Am I screwed here? Regarding the Hunting the Hacker quest

I went to the Hive bar and didn't get any info out of the manager and now he won't talk to me. I did the quest for the bartender but ended up killing Jaya and accidentally saved over that save and now I have no idea how to get to Tong and my hacking level is not high enough to get through.

Advice?

Anyone know what I need to do here?

Exuro

The Xtortionist said:
Icon when looking over a dead body should be "zzzz" instead of a skull. An alarm is basically when multiple enemies' arrows become red on the radar because of something you did. Scripted events that make all enemies alarmed or hostile don't count, but still stay hidden. Also, the status "alarmed" is fine if it's just one enemy, same with "suspicious" for security cameras.
So there's no "Kills: 0, Alarms Set Off: 0" stats then?

Mindlog

The Skater said:
For the new page

Have you bought all the drinks?

There are at least 4 weapon merchants in, hub 2
Hangsha. The two easiest to find are at the Hotel Hung Hua (1st floor) and Alice Gardens (main concourse - service room.) The other two I know of are in a sewer and at some dead end.

Also that vvv

Ken

The Skater said:
For the new page

Did you check the men's restroom stalls for the bouncer's pocket secretary? I'm not 100% sure but I think it has an access code to get into the basement. I've picked it up but never read it since I just hacked my way into the basement.

I'm gonna tackle a pacifist playthrough soon now. Don't wanna go "no alarms" though, don't have the patience for that sadly.

I missed out on the Talion AD quest (well that's what it says on the steam achievement thing) since I wasn't even aware it existed, will learn from my mistake this time

So, kinda lategame-ish, if I want the Foxiest achievement,
do I have to Ghost the construction site before Hengsha Part 2? It's so frustrating...

damn that's nice

Ken said:
Did you check the men's restroom stalls for the bouncer's pocket secretary? I'm not 100% sure but I think it has an access code to get into the basement. I've picked it up but never read it since I just hacked my way into the basement.
did you get my pm?

x3sphere

I just finished it and... game of the generation for me. They don't make games like this anymore :( Hope it sells well so we get a Deus Ex 4.

First playthrough took 40 hours, did all the sidequests and hacked everything I could find.

iavi

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Just finished mopping up with Detroit for the first time, yes the boss battle was indeed bullshit. In the end I got round it by throwing a concussion grenade to let me get close and just used the stun gun until they were dead, easiest fight ever!

Maybe it was just me but I had to leave the 'Cloak and Dagger' side-quest simply because I couldn't see anyway I could do the final part completely stealth (capture the gang leader). I had to make a separate file in the end just to see the conclusion, otherwise it would have ruined my pacifist and stealth playthrough. It seemed a bit odd considering every other mission has allowed me to tackle it in a passive way.

One easy way to separate any crowd is to fire off a warning shot in the vicinity. Pistol. Rifle. whatevs. It'll put them in alarm and a few will usually trickle away from the pack with one walking right up to where you fired. That's your chance to stun/soft-takedown.

It can be slow at times, but it's safe. That's how I pulled that one of without breaking a sweat.

Green Scar said:
Started playing this today. By gum it's good. The stealth is going to piss off my perfectionist side big-time though. :(

I've played two evenings worth and have just
got through the fema camp and killed the first boss, then on to china

I was the same as you about stealth, but I watched the giantbomb quick look and read this thread and decided to not threat it.

If you're not going for the insane pacifist achievement like RPS.com said, there is little punishment for actually going full on rather than stealth....

I decided at the
fema camp
that I'd just go all out stealth until I'm caught, then just continue to kick ass...

In my opinion, it's the best to play. the
cop style
mission objectives I go for, anything else I either accept or deny if the risk to the city is there

Gaf, answer me. Unless I'm missing something, the only reason for the pacifist/stealth run through is pride or achievements, it doesn't mess up the plot or the people who ignore the timed junk does it?

supersaw

I'm enjoying this game quit a bit, but there is no option for texture quality on pc and some of the textures are blurry as fuck.

I thought they officially said that pc was getting higher quality textures.

Adam Blade said:
Even if I do cloak, the enemies go hostile right away... and I've taken out all the enemies while cloaked with the gas grenade, stun gun, and takedowns...

The enemies should automatically be hostile until
Malik is killed
. It won't be considered an alarm unless they see you and start actively hunting you down.

The Xtortionist said:
The enemies should automatically be hostile until
Malik is killed
. It won't be considered an alarm unless they see you and start actively hunting you down.

Ah, much appreciated. If I let one of the baddies die, does that stop the ghost reward for the area?

Lingitiz

Beat it an hour or so in about 30 hours on 360.

Some quick thoughts:

+ Incredible atmosphere throughout. Probably one of my favorite game worlds yet.
+ So many ways to tackle the environments. Whether you're hacking turrets and robots, going guns blazing, or pure stealth, the variety is amazing. Can't wait to jump back in.
+ Doesn't treat the player like a moron. The game really lays out the choices and lets you figure it out.
+ Great storytelling most of the time.
+ So much replayablility due to the different types of augmentations, choices, and weapons to use.

+/- Ending:
Slightly anticlimatic for me. The post credits sequence was pretty awesome though.
+/- Some weapons don't come across till the end (I think this was just me not finding them).

- Horrible boss fights. Really bad.
The final boss was just atrocious. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.
- Bad AI but it usually happens in a stealth game I suppose.
- Some bad vo. Sarif really sucks.

Possibly my favorite game of the year at this point. Its rare that a game like this comes along these days, and I definitely can't wait for Eidos Montreal's next project.

Nihilistic Monk said:
Gaf, answer me. Unless I'm missing something, the only reason for the pacifist/stealth run through is pride or achievements, it doesn't mess up the plot or the people who ignore the timed junk does it?
It's just for the challenge or achievement. I play like you though: stealth until I get caught and then guns blazing

x3sphere

supersaw said:
I'm enjoying this game quit a bit, but there is no option for texture quality on pc and some of the textures are blurry as fuck.

I thought they officially said that pc was getting higher quality textures.

They did. The textures on PC are of higher quality than the console versions. Like you said, some are blurry but most look pretty good I'd say.

paparazzo

Ken said:
Oh wow, I feel like an idiot for not finding that. But now I have another problem,
When I go down into the basement Tong doesn't seem to be there so I'm guessing there's something else I haven't done?

Ken

The Skater said:
Oh wow, I feel like an idiot for not finding that. But now I have another problem,
When I go down into the basement Tong doesn't seem to be there so I'm guessing there's something else I haven't done?

Find a vent that leads to above his office. You'll get a cutscene.

I am playing this game on Steam and I have a weird problem with it.
I will preface by saying that I rarely play FPS on PC. Basically, while I can tell the framerate is pretty solid (by staying still in front of tons of shit happening), whenever I move the mouse, I find that the screen flow (for lack of a better world) feels very 'jerky'. Like it goes from the start position to the end position in one frame or something, or as if there was some sort of dead zone on my mouse movement. A couple of hypothesis:

a) Some kind of hardware issue (i have iMac 27 2010, so intel i7 an ATI Radeon HD 4850).
b) my mouse sucks (it's a super shitty mouse)
c) I am not used to being part of the PC master race and console got me used to something else (either control or display)

Right now this is fairly distracting, almost preventing me from playing the game.

MechaX

Man, I sure did wish this game had some second playthrough bonus (since I doubt the dev team would be that receptive to a full on New Game +); add a couple of praxis points at the beginning, a new bonus weapon or two, or something.

malfcn

Cloak and Dagger was fun. I got all the requirements except
bargaining
. I just walked up and punched him. Didn't know.. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TacticalFox88 said:
This games trophies are fucking ridiculous. ;_;
I have all but 4 and it was quite easy getting that many. The only one that will give me trouble is finding all the books. The rest are side quest related and they are easy enough to do on a second run.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I can't get it to work properly for me.
I got on a roof & killed a guy with a headshot with a silenced 10mm.

There were another 6 guys with him, but he was in the back & everyone else had their back to him at least 6-8 feet away with no cone of vision facing him.
YET when he goes down in that one silenced headshot, they are all automatically alerted.

What the hell.

When you say alerted, do you mean hostile?

Even silenced, the gun makes quite a bit of noise and will often attract attention, but it's pretty easy to pick off everybody as they wander around looking for you or checking the bodies. As long as you don't get in their line of sight, they won't get hostile and you can kill them one by one.

Top Bottom