• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Wallach

ThoseDeafMutes said:
In DX1 the shooting is utterly horrid, so any sane person went for a stealth character anyway. Playing it like rambo makes you miss what's good about it, the level design and the alternate paths to everything. That DXHR actively encourages stealth is a good thing, not a bad thing. As a shooter, it's mediocre at best.

It's not so much about playing it as a shooter, it's that there's not such a significant difference between killing a man who doesn't see you and knocking him out that justifies such a big discrepancy in XP. Especially if I can drop a bullet in his skull afterward to prevent him from being woken up if I feel like it and not lose that XP bonus. Even worse when it is actually harder in some cases to use lethality and you are still penalized for it.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
In DX1 the shooting is utterly horrid, so any sane person went for a stealth character anyway. Playing it like rambo makes you miss what's good about it, the level design and the alternate paths to everything. That DXHR actively encourages stealth is a good thing, not a bad thing. As a shooter, it's mediocre at best.

Nah, as a shooter DXHR is perfectly passable. I enjoyed the part in Detroit where you have to go to
Derelict's Row
to complete objectives, mainly I snuck past everybody to finish the quests, then after I got the bonuses, I went back with my guns and cleaned the place out just for fun.

The shooting in DX was quite terrible, but you had so many awesome melee weapons in that game. Once I got the Dragon's Tooth sword in DX I didn't look back, I played the rest of the game using just the sword and I pretty much always tried to kill every enemy in all the levels. It was so much fun to run into a room full of enemies with augs on and just slice heads until everyone in the room was dead.

raphier

Banned
What's with whenever I shoot one guy from far away, whole room is suddenly aware of my presence and location? Kind a wish this element of AI was done with. It's time for AI evolution.

Meus Renaissance said:
Thinking of getting this game this afternoon. How long is it? Would you recommend it?

About 25-40 hours, depending on your pacing. There's a lot to soak up and explore if you care to. And yes!

Jintor

The non-updating Talion AD mission in Shanghai is a tad annoying, especially since the location also contain the path to the next plot mission which will probably blast me out of Shanghai

/edit I tried to double-takedown two guards and Jensen randomly decided to punch out one guard and also a random civilian who was walking behind me at the time.

syoaran

Rickenslacker said:
She died on my first attempt even though I went in guns blazing. So I sat there next to the demolished chopper kind of bummed for a minute. Then I said fuck that and reloaded and I managed to take them out with some blazing headshot efficiency that I never managed again. It was incredible.

Was doing non-lethal and had almost no ammo, so I couldnt save her. In the end I loaded up and just ran to the elevator, the cutscene you get is brutal. Then you find her corpse in the havesters, no dialogue tho which is disapointing

snack

glaurung said:
The saddest part of the game so far.

Returning to your apartment after a long, long time and reading how Megan's dog was put to sleep. ):
:)

You'd think with the technology,
dogs
could get
augmented
too. lol

mxgt

Banned
what the hell, I had 17 hours played according to steam (missed my first 2 hours) and I just finished playing for a few hours and it's gone down to 14 hours

counter is totally screwed up.

Just did the second boss anyway, was far easier than expected.
stun 'n gun baby

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
snack said:
:)

You'd think with the technology,
dogs
could get
augmented
too. lol

There is a conversation about "dogmentation" by bums/punks in the alley behind the gas station that goes specifically into that!

MightyKAC

bathala said:
boo I didn't get pacifism achievement. gotta be that tutorial segment :S

Isn't there some glitch in the game where if you head shoot someone with a tranq dart it kills them sometimes instead of knocking them out?

Kyouji

MightyKAC said:
Isn't there some glitch in the game where if you head shoot someone with a tranq dart it kills them sometimes instead of knocking them out?

Yes, I have both read about and experienced this firsthand. It also happens when you sometimes move knocked out bodies, and be careful not to drop objects (especially heavy ones) onto them either. Basically, if you're going for the Pacifist achievement, keep multiple saves handy and make sure to check everyone you knock out. I'm waiting a few patches before I attempt it again; way too much of a headache.

Solo

Discotheque said:
Sadly I don't think these guys are interested in going beyond Deus Ex.

They're probably gonna make a series of prequels, possibly all starring Jensen.

That would truly suck. JC's left nut > Jensen

Daeda

I asked them about theoretical sequels once. They basically said that there's still a lot of history between HR and DX to explore. I doubt they would focus around Jensen though.

Oh my god, dem credits. I jizzed all over my pants and computer.

What a fantastic ending. I'm not even going to load my save in order to see the other ones. This game was so good that I have decided to do one ending per playthrough. Yup, I'm slightly insane. Clocked 28 hours before finishing this time, and I could easily have gone past 30 hours if I way more methodical with my exploration. A strong 10/10 for me, in no small part thanks to the fantastic PC port. Best game since DX1 confirmed.

Only thing I actively disliked was the complete lack of choice when it came to the Praxis system. By the end you could pretty much do anything you wanted, only leaving out some random augs you don't really need to begin with. I would have loved to see more actual choice involved there. Oh well, maybe we'll get a Shifter mod adding new augs in the future, hurr durr.

Is it me or are there not many sidequests in this game? I've gotten to Shanghai and I've only gotten at most one or two sidequests along side my main quest lines. I've run around the city hacking everything I can and talking to every NPC I see and they don't really seem to give me much in the way of quests. Maybe I'm just used to New Vegas where I load up on 5-6 quests at a time.

sflufan

Banned
What is wrong with you people? I'm 20 hours in and haven't made it to China yet for the first time!

You guys just aren't playing this game correctly!

Kyouji

HotHamWater said:
Oh boy. That's quite a challenge. Especially when I can't kill anyone.

Use the Stun Gun + stealth if you can, much faster and energy-efficient than non-lethal takedowns. EMP grenade on the bot, but keep in mind its self-destruction is very likely to blow up the troopers near it. Be prepared to load a few times if you intend to keep your Pacifist run.

This was the fight where I gave up on my Achievement-whoring for Pacifist and just went all out. No one fucks with my Fly Girl
except Spy Boy

knitoe

Kyouji said:
Yes, I have both read about and experienced this firsthand. It also happens when you sometimes move knocked out bodies, and be careful not to drop objects (especially heavy ones) onto them either. Basically, if you're going for the Pacifist achievement, keep multiple saves handy and make sure to check everyone you knock out. I'm waiting a few patches before I attempt it again; way too much of a headache.
Shit. Trying to get it on the second play through and have been mostly tranq headshot. I am about 1/2 through. Guess, I am screwed.

Volcynika

Finished the game yesterday on hard, got the pacifism achievement too. Enjoyed it! About 19.5 hours according to my Steam time. Sounds about right.

Left a save back so I could
maybe go see the other two endings.

HotHamWater said:
Oh boy. That's quite a challenge. Especially when I can't kill anyone.

I hear that the PEP gun and gas grenades make it very manageable for non-lethal. I went apeshit with my pimped out pistol to get 'er done.

sflufan said:
What is wrong with you people? I'm 20 hours in and haven't made it to China yet for the first time!

You guys just aren't playing this game correctly!
I know how you feel, it took me a good 20 hours or so to make it out of Detroit as well. If people enjoyed their time with the game after beating it in 20 hours or so I'm happy for them but I can't imagine playing through this game in anything less than 30 my first time through. I'm not usually this meticulous with games but I honestly feel like the world of HR demands it from me, and that is a compliment.

Bisnic said:
Does the game always have that yellow/green/brown color scheme? Or is that only in first hours?

Always

I actually grew to love it. If someone modded t out, that would be a shame.

I do hope the next DX game has its own "color scheme". Like how MGS games (or their individual chapters) tend to have one dominant tint

Small Question GAF....

Spoiler

I'm in the
Convention center in Detroit and Sarif just asked me if I wanted to frame dat dude who be hatin' on my slick augmentations. I didn't give a damn so I said yes, when Sarif says you need to put the evidence on his PC.
Do I still actively have to do something now because the quest marker is already marked green (completed).

syoaran

The_Darkest_Red said:
I know how you feel, it took me a good 20 hours or so to make it out of Detroit as well. If people enjoyed their time with the game after beating it in 20 hours or so I'm happy for them but I can't imagine playing through this game in anything less than 30 my first time through. I'm not usually this meticulous with games but I honestly feel like the world of HR demands it from me, and that is a compliment.

Depends on play-style. The side quests really don't take that much time to complete if you read the text and are aware of the signs. I went one direction and stuck with it, but this warrants multiple playthoughs checking out different avenues and decisions in the game. So your 30hr single playthough will be 60hrs over three playthoughs for other people. Same content, just different way of appreciating it.

Dakota47

Volcynika said:
Left a save back so I could
maybe go see the other two endings.

There are actually four endings: do what Sarif wants, do what Taggart wants, do what Darrow wants or blow up the facility with everyone and everything in it.

Volcynika

Dakota47 said:
There are actually four endings: do what Sarif wants, do what Taggart wants, do what Darrow wants or blow up the facility with everyone and everything in it.

Yeah I know. I saw the self-destruct ending and the one where you send out the message. Left a save before that final elevator so I can go back and find Sarif/Taggart. Though I have no idea where they are, really.

wutwutwut

Volcynika said:
Yeah I know. I saw the self-destruct ending and the one where you send out the message. Left a save before that final elevator so I can go back and find Sarif/Taggart. Though I have no idea where they are, really.
Look at the secondary objective texts, read the signs in the building and find those rooms. I didn't have too much trouble with it.

I'm finding more and more uses for the invisibility cloak aug, it's great at getting me out of a pinch. Sometimes I'll be in a situation where I've alerted a guard and he's coming towards my position but I have no way out so I just turn invisible right when he gets to me, sprint past him, and turn the corner to safety. It's so satisfying to watch him get to the area where I just was and look around all confused and mystified.

It's also great for dipping out of a situation right after killing someone. There have been a few times where I've sniped a guard who is far away while being directly behind another guard. I know this sounds stupid because it seems like I should have done a takedown on the close guard but there have been some complicated situations when that just wasn't an option. Anyway, as soon as I take the shot I go invisible and the guard who is right in front of me turns around to see nothing but thin air. It's just so fun playing with their heads like that.

Thanks for the advice, I managed it with mostly my stun gun (ran out energy stuff or I'd have been more melee). Didn't bother with the invisibility, that'd probably saved me a few retries if I'd remembered I had it.

Random idea - maxing out energy bars should allow you to have 2 batteries recharge, not only basic one. As of now it makes no sense to have more than 4 bars (1 recharges + energy jar), I'm fine with having 3.

Maybe we will hear about some SDK today? :)))

RedSwirl said:
I think at the point when another person's life is in danger it's appropriate to drop pacifism.

I'm a terrible person, I bailed on my Pacifist run. Now I got exploding ammo Revolver ready.

wutwutwut said:
Whenever I get time I really want to do
- a zero-aug run
- a run with a completely different build: more energy/cloak, less hacking
I want to do a lethal no silencer run. The silencer makes everything too easy.

unless i'm in close vicinity to enemies, none of them 'know my location' whenever i kill one of the guys in their group. especially when i added a silencer to my combat rifle.

if you're within 25 feet or so of them, do you really not expect them to realize where the sound of your gun came from? or from what direction the guy was shot? the further away you are from them the harder it's going to be to tell. i'm on PS3 version and the AI actually seems fine. way better than DX2 and IW, so that's all that really matters to me. it's nothing mind blowing, but it's not like the shit AI that's come out in a lot of games this gen that should have known better.

the things about that AI that seem "broken" don't really make the game play worse, but rather just make it funny. ie: you are talking to some gun dealer guys, and if you open a door in the room they are in, they are alerted to the noise and walk around looking, but don't seem to mind you being there. it was just the door noise that bothered them. it's like they are making sure nobody else but you is there, and you are unable to say "hey man i opened the door, calm down". :p

Top Bottom