• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Anyone else just shoot
Lee Hong. The dude in Malik's Evelyn murder side mission
in his fucking face after hearing his side of the story?

It's great that the game let me do that. It's also great that the game didn't forget I did that right after I walked out of the door.

Dyno

I only finished the first mission and a couple sides. Taking my time, yadda yadda.

So this is a Metal Gear Solid game. That's okay but I didn't think it was going to be a MGS through and through. I've been going stealthy and non-lethal just like Snake would want me to but I've found a shotgun and added this rad double damage upgrade in case it goes all to hell ie. Bosses.

I have a question regarding inventory: is there a place to but some excess gear or do I only get to keep what I can carry around?

Dyno said:
I only finished the first mission and a couple sides. Taking my time, yadda yadda.

So this is a Metal Gear Solid game. That's okay but I didn't think it was going to be a MGS through and through. I've been going stealthy and non-lethal just like Snake would want me to but I've found a shotgun and added this rad double damage upgrade in case it goes all to hell ie. Bosses.

I have a question regarding inventory: is there a place to but some excess gear or do I only get to keep what I can carry around?
The gameplay within missions is definitely very MGS but the hubs and RPG elements give the game a very unique feel. To me it's like MGS mixed with a smaller, more dense Fallout 3.

There is no designated area to store extra stuff but if you throw it down somewhere (like your apartment, for example) it will stay there and you can go back whenever you want it. You just have to be careful to take what you want before leaving the hub that you're in.

Ventilaator said:
Anyone else just shoot Lee Hong. The dude in Malik's Evelyn murder side mission in his fucking face after hearing his side of the story?

It's great that the game let me do that. It's also great that the game didn't forget I did that right after I walked out of the door.
It was very hard for me to resist
holding the circle button down in his general vicinity but I had a feeling that justice would be served somehow. Did Malik put his picture on the front of the Hive while playing his confession? I'm not sure if she would do that if you killed him but I'm curious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dyno said:

There are two inventory upgrade augs to expand your space. Whatever is in your inventory is what you have (augs aside), nothing else.

Wallach

Dyno said:

To my knowledge, nothing on the ground ever disappears. You can store crap in Jensen's apartment if you want. I haven't been beyond the first hub so I don't know how it would work there, but you can probably just stash it anywhere if you want to come back and get it later.

Started it. Doing Deus Ex mode but with shooting. I played around with some gun fights first and the shooting just felt too good! I like how you die immediately if you mess up, but it doesn't feel cheap--I figure out what I did wrong and approach things differently. None of that COD "hope I get lucky and live" BS.

Daeda

Bah, my retail copy still hasnt arived, even though Game.co.uk sent it out early so I would recieve it at release. Now my replay has to wait (did play the review version, but its not on my own Steam account)..

EatChildren said:
There are two inventory upgrade augs to expand your space. Whatever is in your inventory is what you have (augs aside), nothing else.
You know when I first realized this I thought it bit the big one, but it really does keep you focused on carrying what you intend to use. I have a few guns in my inventory just taking up space, since I generally prefer my 10mm and combat rifle to anything else. I should probably just sell them. :)

Winterblink said:
You know when I first realized this I thought it bit the big one, but it really does keep you focused on carrying what you intend to use. I have a few guns in my inventory just taking up space, since I generally prefer my 10mm and combat rifle to anything else. I should probably just sell them. :)
My insistence to always have a rocket launcher and silenced sniper rifle on me is killing me inventory-wise. There is probably something very refreshing about playing the entire game with a 10mm or a stun-gun or something.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Question regarding a crash. Is this THE crash people are talking about?

I just talked to David and took the elevator down, heading to
hengsha
for the second time. And as soon as I stepped out of the elevator from Davids office my game crashed and the audio looped.

Is this the point where I'm supposed to turn of dx11 in order to pass this point?

hteng

Banned
barely need alot of guns, i find myself using take downs and tranquilizers like.. 90% of the time, since doing that gives more xp and doesn't alert enemies. this also leads me to never using the grenade launcher, sniper rifle and laser cannons :(

Stet

Banned
MightyKAC said:
Isn't there some glitch in the game where if you head shoot someone with a tranq dart it kills them sometimes instead of knocking them out?
Wait, what? How often does this happen? I've used the tranq gun only a handful of times, but I always always headshot with it.

hteng said:
barely need alot of guns, i find myself using take downs and tranquilizers like.. 90% of the time, since doing that gives more xp and doesn't alert enemies. this also leads me to never using the grenade launcher, sniper rifle and laser cannons :(
I'm not even done with my first trip to
Hengsha
but I'm already pretty content as far as my augs go so I don't worry too much about maximizing XP. I definitely favor take-downs to other forms of enemy disposal but there are times when a shot from a silenced sniper rifle is just too efficient to pass up. Plus it just makes you feel cool.

As far as the rocket launcher goes I really don't think I can justify the inventory space it takes up. I just carry it around in case I run into some crazy boss or huge robot that's giving me trouble.

Effect

Epyon MX said:
Which is better for the boss fights? Double-barrel shotgun or silenced sniper rifle?

I'm running non-lethal, so I only have room for one.
Shotgun. Not sure if you'd even have time to use the sniper rifle. At least from what I recall from the first two major boss fights.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Did
Malik put his picture on the front of the Hive while playing his confession? I'm not sure if she would do that if you killed him
but I'm curious.[/spoiler]

Face? In front of the Hive? Playing his confession? She was like hey, you shouldn't have done that, but saying I'm not even slightly happy about seeing that would be a lie, and then she left.

I reloaded my save and didn't kill him to see what you were talking about and yeah, the playing the confession bit in front of the Hive never happens.

To make this post something other than a black box I should talk about something else as well. A thing I don't like about this game. You can kill basically everyone, but they take your guns away when you're near super-important people. Makes sense, right? But why am I still running into people who I can shoot, but they just won't die? Fully immersion-breaking to me.
Just don't let me draw a gun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The_Darkest_Red said:
My insistence to always have a rocket launcher and silenced sniper rifle on me is killing me inventory-wise. There is probably something very refreshing about playing the entire game with a 10mm or a stun-gun or something.
The 10mm is all you need if you upgrade it as you go. I usually have over 120 shots for it and the laser sight, silencer, and armor piercing modifications make it easy to instakill headshot any enemy, except for bosses. I prefer to use it in combat over other stuff since most of the enemies are armored now and I can still drop them in a couple shots since armor piercing ignores all armor bonuses, including the dermal armor aug.

So concerning Malik in Shanghai
I accidentally read a spoiler that she dies but you can still save her. I did that Lee Hong/Evelyn mission, is she safe now?

ced

RoboPlato said:
The 10mm is all you need if you upgrade it as you go. I usually have over 120 shots for it and the laser sight, silencer, and armor piercing modifications make it easy to instakill headshot any enemy, except for bosses. I prefer to use it in combat over other stuff since most of the enemies are armored now and I can still drop them in a couple shots since armor piercing ignores all armor bonuses, including the dermal armor aug.

I was always going to the 10mm, but by later in the game the combat rifle with a can, dmg and clip upgrades and the tracking laser was badass. The lack of the armor piercing rounds did suck on certain well armored soldiers.

RoboPlato said:
Yeah man, the 10mm is my go to gun as well. I basically put every upgrade I get into it. That's the thing that makes the whole situation kind of sad, I'm carrying around these two massive guns that take up a huge chunk of my inventory but I basically never use them. The thing is, I just can't let go of that sniper rifle because there are times when it is absolutely wonderful to have, they are just few and far between.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The fully upgraded 10mm makes me hate my non-lethal run.

The non-lethal run I've already botched by killing in the prologue.

What is wrong with meeeee.

Wallach

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah man, the 10mm is my go to gun as well. I basically put every upgrade I get into it. That's the thing that makes the whole situation kind of sad, I'm carrying around these two massive guns that take up a huge chunk of my inventory but I basically never use them. The thing is, I just can't let go of that sniper rifle because there are times when it is absolutely wonderful to have, they are just few and far between.

Definitely get rid of the rocket launcher at least. You'd be better served carrying Typhoon ammo if you want a high-power backup solution.

Glass Rebel said:
So concerning Malik in Shanghai
I accidentally read a spoiler that she dies but you can still save her. I did that Lee Hong/Evelyn mission, is she safe now?
Nope. I can go into more detail if you want, but I wouldn't worry about it. You'll know when it happens and you'll be able to do something about it.

I have a question about a mission in Hengsha.
It's the mission with Windmill in the Alice Garden Pods. I chose not to give him a gun when the TYM guys broke in because I didn't want to give up my revolver or my pistol but I killed everyone in the building to make sure he didn't die. Will that decision have any bearing on the rest of the story and if so will he still die since I didn't give him a gun? I like the dude so I hope I didn't screw him over but he must be out of his mind if he thinks he's going to get my suped-up 10mm as a freebie.

Wallach said:
Definitely get rid of the rocket launcher at least. You'd be better served carrying Typhoon ammo if you want a high-power backup solution.
You're right, I'm ditching it tonight.

cackhyena

EatChildren said:

Ain't it? I love that gun. I have managed to stay kill free so far, but that pistol...I'm all about it in run 2. I love taking out cameras with it.

Interfectum

EatChildren said:

I have the exact same situation. I killed people in the prologue but I haven't killed anyone since. I know I'm not getting any kind of achievement or anything but I can't bring myself to do it... but my fully upgraded silenced 10mm keeps tempting me to come to the dark side.

Rickenslacker said:
Nope. I can go into more detail if you want, but I wouldn't worry about it. You'll know when it happens and you'll be able to do something about it.

Ah, ok. No, I want to experience it myself,
I just thought she would have investigated the case by herself and got herself somehow killed.
Thanks though.

Akkad

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
It's the mission with Windmill in the Alice Garden Pods. I chose not to give him a gun when the TYM guys broke in because I didn't want to give up my revolver or my pistol but I killed everyone in the building to make sure he didn't die. Will that decision have any bearing on the rest of the story and if so will he still die since I didn't give him a gun? I like the dude so I hope I didn't screw him over but he must be out of his mind if he thinks he's going to get my suped-up 10mm as a freebie.

You're right, I'm ditching it tonight.

I gave him my revolver and later he hacked Sarif and put 2000 credits in my account.

Interfectum said:
I have the exact same situation. I killed people in the prologue but I haven't killed anyone since. I know I'm not getting any kind of achievement or anything but I can't bring myself to do it... but my fully upgraded silenced 10mm keeps tempting me to come to the dark side.
Who says vigilante justice is the dark side?

Muhahahahaha

just beat the game, wonderful game, although to be honest, I don't really have the incentive to replay the game to pick different option etc. it's not like Witcher 2 where I got 2 compelling choices that lead to whole different chapter, in Deus Ex HR, I pretty much know what options I like the best, and I make sure to
save Malik and avoid the trap
, so I'm not going to purposefully choose the wrong action for my 2nd playthrough.

that only leaves challenges like foxhound achievement etc which I never care about. and the multiple ending are all available at the last save point, I can easily reload my save file.

Epyon MX said:
Is there a way in-game to see if you've killed anyone? I've heard of glitches where it counts tranqed guards as dead sometimes.
When highlighting a body, there will be a skull or a ZzZ icon to know if they've been killed or knocked out.

Derrick01

Banned
EatChildren said:

Seriously when your upgraded pistol is better than a heavy machine gun, there miiiight be a balance issue. I found the pistol infinitely more useful then pretty much everything except a rocket and grenade launcher on everyone but bosses.

Callibretto said:
just beat the game, wonderful game, although to be honest, I don't really have the incentive to replay the game to pick different option etc. it's not like Witcher 2 where I got 2 compelling choices that lead to whole different chapter, in Deus Ex HR, I pretty much know what options I like the best,
and I make sure to save Malik and avoid the trap,
so I'm not going to purposefully choose the wrong action for my 2nd playthrough.

that only leaves challenges like foxhound achievement etc which I never care about. and the multiple ending are all available at the last save point, I can easily reload my save file.
Come on man... tag that crap...

ced

The_Darkest_Red said:

Nope I don't think so, I did the same and even knocked him out and hid his body. Later in the game I remember someone mentioning he was dead.

Derrick01 said:
Seriously when your upgraded pistol is better than a heavy machine gun, there miiiight be a balance issue. I found the pistol infinitely more useful then pretty much everything except a rocket and grenade launcher on everyone but bosses.
I say it wouldn't be Deus Ex without the potential for an absurdly powerful pistol. In the original I had a laser sighted scoped pistol with pinpoint accuracy and a huge clip size. I could headshot terrorists left and right with ease.

johntown

Banned
What is the point of the number of attempts you have to hack a device? If you let the virus catch you it gives you infinite tries.

Now I know it can set off alarms but it seems kind of pointless to have say 3 attempts but as long as your caught you can keep trying to over and over again.

Akkad

Banned
johntown said:
What is the point of the number of attempts you have to hack a device? If you let the virus catch you it gives you infinite tries.

Now I know it can set off alarms but it seems kind of pointless to have say 3 attempts but as long as your caught you can keep trying to over and over again.

The attempts go down when you back out of your first attempt.

I think I've played too much, 23 hours according to Steam. Just returned to Hengsha.

This is about as close as I can get to marathoning a game (started on the 25th) and I'm fucking exhausted.

Grisby

Epyon MX said:
Which is better for the boss fights? Double-barrel shotgun or silenced sniper rifle?

Wait, is the shotgun in this game double-barrel or are there two types? I haven't used it yet.

Chinner

Banned
im currently playing the game stealth/non lethal cause its pretty own that way, but im wondering if ive screwed my self over cause i think i did kill people in the prologue before the accident. not a big deal if i have.

dankir

Okay so question for those of you playing it now, is the reason why some of these gang members are dying is because I'm tranqing them in the head?

It's not actually a glitch so I just need to shoot them elsewhere, right?

Wallach

Grisby said:
Wait, is the shotgun in this game double-barrel or are there two types? I haven't used it yet.

One is a pre-order DLC weapon. I think at some point they are going to sell all the pre-order crap as paid DLC too (which may actually be the thing they were hinting at for today).

Regarding the AI, I know some people say it is pretty bad and archaic but it got me thinking, is there any stealth game with better AI? Even if there isn't I'm not saying it excuses some of the stupid stuff the AI does in HR but I was just curious because it seems to me that it's just extremely challenging to design intelligent AI in a stealth focused game. Is there anyone that has gotten it completely right? I mean, even in MGS there are tons of ways to play with the AI and exploit their patterns and robotic brains and the same goes for Splinter Cell.

It sort of creates a weird situation for me because on the one hand I want to jump on reviewers who criticize the AI because I know there is nothing better and I believe that AI in a stealth game is just inherently flawed, but on the other hand I know that there is a ton of room for improvement.

The only stealth game I can think of that may have had better AI would be Arkham Asylum. The enemies were pretty observant in that game but they still had very specific patterns and they also had Joker helping them out by mentioning when someone went missing.

Regardless, I personally have no problems with the AI in HR. Even when they do something goofy I just consider it part of the game and use it to my advantage instead of focusing on how much it "broke my immersion." Man, I am so sick of hearing about that.

Chinner said:
im currently playing the game stealth/non lethal cause its pretty own that way, but im wondering if ive screwed my self over cause i think i did kill people in the prologue before the accident. not a big deal if i have.
Well you screwed yourself for the achievement, but otherwise no.

Interfectum said:
Oh that will change. I forced myself to not kill innocents by the end, but if you were working for a large corporation your time was up!

That said, do you know what this game really needs? Crippling injuries, not for you, but for NPC:s. And you should be able to shoot guns out of people's hands.

In fact, every game needs that!
The_Darkest_Red said:
Regarding the AI, I know some people say it is pretty bad and archaic but it got me thinking, is there any stealth game with better AI? Even if there isn't I'm not saying it excuses some of the stupid stuff the AI does in HR but I was just curious because it seems to me that it's just extremely challenging to design intelligent AI in a stealth focused game. Is there anyone that has gotten it completely right? I mean, even in MGS there are tons of ways to play with the AI and exploit their patterns and robotic brains and the same goes for Splinter Cell.

It sort of creates a weird situation for me because on the one hand I want to jump on reviewers who criticize the AI because I know there is nothing better and I believe that AI in a stealth game is just inherently flawed, but on the other hand I know that there is a ton of room for improvement.

The only stealth game I can think of that may have had better AI would be Arkham Asylum. The enemies were pretty observant in that game but they still had very specific patterns and they also had Joker helping them out by mentioning when someone went missing.

Regardless, I personally have no problems with the AI in HR. Even when they do something goofy I just consider it part of the game and use it to my advantage instead of focusing on how much it "broke my immersion." Man, I am so sick of hearing about that.
Personally I think the AI in MGS is the best there is for a stealth game at this time. It's robotic but the consistency and predictability of it is kinda what makes it good from a gameplay sense (the same goes for HR). It also helps in that game that the world is rather silly so it doesn't break the immersion as badly as it does in HR.

The thing about the MGS AI though is that they'll search spots where you might hide (under tables, peek into vents, etc.), the AI here does nothing of that sort. It feels... shallow.

Solo

Epyon MX said:

Option trois: stun gun plus fully upgraded pistol.

1) Stun boss
2) Headshots with pistol while boss quivers
3) ?
4) Profit

Top Bottom