• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Danne-Danger said:
That said, do you know what this game really needs? Crippling injuries, not for you, but for NPC:s. And you should be able to shoot guns out of people's hands.

In fact, every game needs that!
Perfect Dark was amazing for that kind of stuff.

Oh btw, my game did not crash even once. The only bugs I came across were that no HUD appeared during my first launch of the game and that quick save stopped working until I restarted the game once toward the end, no biggies either of them. I was expecting the game to be pretty glitchty in general considering it's scope, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Grisby

DTKT said:
The double-barel shotgun is a DLC weapon.
Wallach said:
One is a pre-order DLC weapon. I think at some point they are going to sell all the pre-order crap as paid DLC too (which may actually be the thing they were hinting at for today).

My sci-fi DOOM fantasies are ruined!

I can't even find that supposed gamestop exclusive mission or whatever. I don't know if I even already completed it.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Regarding the AI, I know some people say it is pretty bad and archaic but it got me thinking, is there any stealth game with better AI?

People like to whine about bad AI, but just let the guards pick at random from several patrol routes everytime they finish their patrol - shitstorm for that would've been epic.

PaulLFC

No crashes at all for me yesterday, seems to have just fixed itself, although no doubt I've just jinxed it now by saying that.

Bought the limited edition guide today, not even opening it for this first playthrough - mainly bought it just as a collectors' item.

garath

johntown said:
What is the point of the number of attempts you have to hack a device? If you let the virus catch you it gives you infinite tries.

Now I know it can set off alarms but it seems kind of pointless to have say 3 attempts but as long as your caught you can keep trying to over and over again.

If the system catches you that can set off an alarm. However, you can back out of your hacking attempt and try again up to X attempts you have left.

It ties into the smooth operator bonus as well.

ruxtpin

Banned
I just got to
rioting Detroit City
, been playing on the "Give me a challenge" level and I've been mostly a - guns blazing - 'Let's fuck shit up' commando on every mission. Thing is, and I don't know how far I am through the game, but I feel like I'm going to end up unlocking close to every augmentation and it's subsequent upgrades.

I thought getting augs would be a bit more rare.

cackhyena

Solo said:
Option trois: stun gun plus fully upgraded pistol.

1) Stun boss
2) Headshots with pistol while boss quivers
3) ?
4) Profit
This works on every boss? I think I'm about to head into the second boss fight...at 25 hours according to Steam. Might be a much more painless strategy your way.

johntown said:
What is the point of the number of attempts you have to hack a device? If you let the virus catch you it gives you infinite tries.

Now I know it can set off alarms but it seems kind of pointless to have say 3 attempts but as long as your caught you can keep trying to over and over again.

Is that a glitch?

Castor Krieg said:
People like to whine about bad AI, but just let the guards pick at random from several patrol routes everytime they finish their patrol - shitstorm for that would've been epic.
Exactly. What if the guards were programmed to randomly turn around every once in awhile while on their normal patrols? People are constantly talking about something "breaking their immersion" or "taking them out of the experience" but if the AI was actually comparable to real human beings the frustration would far outweigh whatever negative feelings they have going on now.

I don't mind appreciating a great game for being what it is --- a great game.

Solo

cackhyena said:
This works on every boss? I think I'm about to head into the second boss fight...at 25 hours according to Steam. Might be a much more painless strategy your way.

It works for the first and second, I can verify.

Castor Krieg said:
I don't think anyone's complaining about the set patrol routes (or at least they shouldn't), it's more about what they do when you divert them from the route, i.e. pretty much nothing.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Exactly. What if the guards were programmed to randomly turn around every once in awhile while on their normal patrols? People are constantly talking about something "breaking their immersion" or "taking them out of the experience" but if the AI was actually comparable to real human beings the frustration would far outweigh whatever negative feelings they have going on now.

I don't mind appreciating a great game for being what it is --- a great game.
Breaking the immersion in a stealth game doesn't just involve the guards being realistic, IMO. A stealth game is immersive if you know the AI will come looking for you, when you're not certain your hiding spot is good enough etc. As long as you're not standing in the open, you can hide from the AI here pretty much anywhere since the AI will never go out of their way to look for you. There's never any tension.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The_Darkest_Red said:

If they acted like real humans, the first time you were detected, the entire location would be on alert and you would be fucked. Same goes for cameras, turrets and robots.

Kintaro said:
If they acted like real humans, the first time you were detected, the entire location would be on alert and you would be fucked. Same goes for cameras, turrets and robots.
That's just something we have to accept with most stealth games; if they were realistic, then there wouldn't be a 2-minute cooldown period until patrols are relaxed again, the entire area would go on lockdown and every square inch would be searched until they found you.

garath

Danne-Danger said:
I don't think anyone's complaining about the set patrol routes (or at least they shouldn't), it's more about what they do when you divert them from the route, i.e. pretty much nothing.

Well what should they do? I'm not disagreeing, I'm genuinely curious what people think the AI should do in certain circumstances.

What do you do if you hear a noise in your house late at night? You get up, you go check it out and if you don't find anything you go back to what you were doing.

Not that I've done any patrolling in my life but put yourself in the shoes of a guard. Guard this area. Ok. I'll do that for 8 hours a day. Gee. Getting bored going back and forth. Hear something? What is it? nothing. Oh well. Back to the grind.

Even spotting someone. You can look and look but if you don't see that person again the best you can do is go back to your route. He's someone else's problem now.

EmCeeGramr said:
That's just something we have to accept with most stealth games; if they were realistic, then there wouldn't be a 2-minute cooldown period where patrols are relaxed, the entire area would go on lockdown and every square inch would be searched.
And everyone would just re-load their save instead of dealing with those completely game-changing consequences.

Oppo

I seriously played this game to past Montréal before I realized that R3 was iron sights.

Could not smack my head hard enough.

Couple of things I'd like the next DX to borrow: the wall-knocking from Metal Gear Solid, to lure a guard (I put a silenced bullet/tranq dart in a nearby wall to do this now), and stuffing bodies into lockers. Oh and the EMP grenades should just short out security cameras rather than destroy them.

Some disguises ala Hitman might be nice but Adam's kind of... specific-looking. Then again, so is 47.

Wallach

The_Darkest_Red said:
And everyone would just re-load their save instead of dealing with those completely game-changing consequences.

Yeah, exactly. 99% of gamers (myself included) already slap the F5 button like it was keeping them alive.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Return to Hengsha spoilers:

When our jet crashed the first time, I didn't manage to get the attention of the heavy mechs and gunners so Malik ended up dying ;_;, instant reload. I was going nonlethal but I went on a murder spree the second time around. Holding Q like no mans business! I was actually pretty surprised how quickly the heavy mech fell to the Heavy MG.

cackhyena said:

The stun gun works on every enemy in the game (except maybe heavy gorilla mechs). It's hilarious.

AwRy108

Castor Krieg said:

I was thinking the same thing as I was playing this weekend: if you make the AI too unpredictable, then you lose a lot of the sense of empowerment that most people--whether or not they admit it--fall in love with when gaming. I feel like the devs made up for the minimal AI routines by making them quick and accurate with their weapons, and also by making Jensen not able to take much damage for their bullets; to be honest, I think the game is balanced really well in terms of being fun, but also encouraging the player to not approach every encounter exactly the same.

cackhyena

garath said:
Well what should they do? I'm not disagreeing, I'm genuinely curious what people think the AI should do in certain circumstances.
I just want a lot more animations, and random changing of routes. Make it feel like every time I reload a room, or replay the game, I'm trying to infiltrate a area filled with thinking people who aren't on a track. Make it feel that way.

I really hate it when they don't set up the AI to not have their heads locked on your position when you are close to them. It's kinda goofy. Guy is right around that corner and I'm out of sight, but because he's on the verge of detecting me ( but won't ), he's got this magnetic pull with his head. Just makes him look like a robot.

ced

The_Darkest_Red said:

That brings up a good point, this game would really be interesting if it played like Demons Souls. No quick saving and loading besides at sparse checkpoints. You botch a conversation then live with it, didn't quite make that headshot, better haul ass and hide.

Could be a different difficulty mode I guess, for people like myself with no self control when it comes to saving and loading.

AwRy108 said:
I was thinking the same thing as I was playing this weekend: if you make the AI too unpredictable, then you lose a lot of the sense of empowerment that most people--whether or not they admit it--fall in love with when gaming. I feel like the devs made up for the minimal AI routines by making them quick and accurate with their weapons, and also by making Jensen not able to take much damage for their bullets; to be honest, I think the game is balanced really well in terms of being fun, but also encouraging the player to not approach every encounter exactly the same.
That is definitely the key and I think the developers understand that. Balancing fun and realism is what's important here, and there is always going to be a line in the sand somewhere. Even if the AI was "more realistic" there would always be something to complain about.

For example, say I sneak into the police station, kill someone, and put his body in a fairly easy to spot location. I could come back in a few hours and complain that there is no sign of anyone finding him, no panicked cops at all. If there were panicked cops, I could complain that there was no ambulance or first aid team arriving at the scene to check on him. If there was an ambulance, I could complain about how five hours later the guy at the front desk acts like nothing ever happened. Continue ad nauseum.

MedIC86 said:
how far am i ?

i just got back to riot in detroit

Wow, I've played for about 17 hours and I'm in the exact same spot. Happy and amazed to hear it's only 60%. In this day and age, the game should have ended 5 hours ago.

54-46!

Wallach said:
Yeah, exactly. 99% of gamers (myself included) already slap the F5 button like it was keeping them alive.
Wait, there's a quick save button in DxHR? I assumed there was none because there wasn't any in the config menu..

Also, I really like what MGS games do. You can't save anywhere and because of that it makes you commit to a certain portion of your playthrough even if you fucked up and got spotted. Really wouldn't matter to this game though since the AI would still be terrible.

Blizzard

Banned
ced said:
That brings up a good point, this game would really be interesting if it played like Demons Souls. No quick saving and loading besides at sparse checkpoints. You botch a conversation then live with it, didn't quite make that headshot, better haul ass and hide.

Could be a different difficulty mode I guess, for people like myself with no self control when it comes to saving and loading.
Originally the game was like that -- if you made a mistake and tried to reload, loading your save would take like 3 years, thus punishing you for trying to go back in time.

Unfortunately they patched this excellent punishment mechanic and now save loads are apparently not so bad. :p

I think it's hard/impossible to please everyone. Take the discussion about augments. The game lets you max out most but not all augments. Some people really want it impossible to max out augments, saying you should be limited to say, one tree only, right? Other people such as myself may like being able to become a supersoldier and unlock everything by the end of the game. I feel like the balance is reasonable since both parties can't be pleased -- in theory, people who want more of a restriction could use self-control and refuse to use more than some arbitrary number of praxis points, right?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MrCompletely said:
Wow, I've played for about 17 hours and I'm in the exact same spot. Happy and amazed to hear it's only 60%. In this day and age, the game should have ended 5 hours ago.

Indeed, I thought I was 90% done when I was in Hengsha :lol.

54-46! said:
Wait, there's a quick save button in DxHR? I assumed there was none because there wasn't any in the config menu..

Yep. F5. I found it accidentally since I binded QS to F5 back in the original.

MedIC86

MrCompletely said:

true! but i was kinda hopeing it was 40% :p

garath said:

What do you do if you hear a noise in your house late at night? You get up, you go check it out and if you don't find anything you go back to what you were doing.

Not that I've done any patrolling in my life but put yourself in the shoes of a guard. Guard this area. Ok. I'll do that for 8 hours a day. Gee. Getting bored going back and forth. Hear something? What is it? nothing. Oh well. Back to the grind.

Even spotting someone. You can look and look but if you don't see that person again the best you can do is go back to your route. He's someone else's problem now.
I mentioned it at the bottom of the last page in comparison to the AI in MGS:
Personally I think the AI in MGS is the best there is for a stealth game at this time. It's robotic but the consistency and predictability of it is kinda what makes it good from a gameplay sense (the same goes for HR). It also helps in that game that the world is rather silly so it doesn't break the immersion as badly as it does in HR.

The thing about the MGS AI though is that they'll search spots where you might hide (under tables, peek into vents, etc.), the AI here does nothing of that sort. It feels... shallow.
The AI in HR isn't that different, but it feels a lot more predictable. MGS also had the benefit of dedicated search teams if you were discovered.

I don't think it's that bad though. The AI will use something that resembles squad tactics if you set them to alert, they're actually quite clever about it.

It also doesn't help that you're the most powerful motherfucker on the planet.

Wallach

54-46! said:

Also, I really like what MGS games do. You can't save anywhere and because of that it makes you commit to a certain portion of your playthrough even if you fucked up and got spotted. Really wouldn't matter to this game though since the AI would still be terrible.

It's F5 on PC, don't imagine that functionality is in the console version.

calder

Just got to Montreal, loving the game so far.

I should check out the trophy list some time, I feel like I'm going to be annoyed with myself for missing a few and I wont' want to replay such a long game right away. I'm worried that there's a trophy for not killing dudes, only because in Shanghai I was doing a side quest with 3 guards in close proximity and I couldn't figure out a way to stun/takedown/tranq them effectively so I used my crossbow for the first time ever and killed two of them. Only two guys I killed in the game except for a boss, hope it doesn't bite me in the ass.

Wallach

calder said:

I should check out the trophy list some time, I feel like I'm going to be annoyed with myself for missing a few and I wont' want to replay such a long game right away. I'm worried that there's a trophy for not killing dudes, only because in Shanghai I was doing a side quest with 3 guards in close proximity and I couldn't figure out a way to stun/takedown/tranq them effectively so I used my crossbow for the first time ever and killed two of them. Only two guys I killed in the game except for a boss, hope it doesn't bite me in the ass.

There is a trophy for a non-lethal playthrough, yes. It also requires you to not kill anyone in the prologue.

calder said:

There is a trophy for not killing anyone so I hope you saved before that crossbow incident.

So how long is this on average? I'm not a person that has to explore and do every single thing in the game, and already find some of the side quests to just get annoying and want to move on at times.

Danne-Danger said:
I mentioned it at the bottom of the last page in comparison to the AI in MGS:
The AI in HR isn't that different, but it feels a lot more predictable. MGS also had the benefit of dedicated search teams if you were discovered.

I don't think it's that bad though. The AI will use something that resembles squad tactics if you set them to alert, they're actually quite clever about it.

It also doesn't help that you're the most powerful motherfucker on the planet.

Still maintain that MGS2 on the higher difficulties features the greatest stealth AI to date. Predictable but still very much capable of surprising the player.

BattleMonkey said:
So how long is this on average? I'm not a person that has to explore and do every single thing in the game, and already find some of the side quests to just get annoying and want to move on at times.
It really depends on your play-style but based on what you've said I would guess it will take you around 20-25 hours. I've played for about 25 and I'm only about 60% done but I've done a decent number of side-quests.

Jintor

I would guess on average around 17, 18 hours? I'm playing explore EVERYWHERE and I'm up to about 23 hours according to Steam, although whether that's accurate I'm not really sure anymore. Not done yet though, so not entirely sure.

Tacitus_

Danne-Danger said:
The thing about the MGS AI though is that they'll search spots where you might hide (under tables, peek into vents, etc.), the AI here does nothing of that sort. It feels... shallow.

The AI will check for places where they thought they heard something and will spot you in a vent if they manage to look into it. So it's got that going for it.

As someone who never played a Deus Ex before (/duck), I can say that this game is basically a superior mix of Fallout 3 and what ME2 should have been.

That may seem like an insult to some people, but it translates into me being an instant fan and wanting to play the original.

Pancakes

Jintor said:
I would guess on average around 17, 18 hours? I'm playing explore EVERYWHERE and I'm up to about 23 hours according to Steam, although whether that's accurate I'm not really sure anymore.

It's not.

Steam's time tracking is very inconsistent, it claims that I've played 17 hours. But I know for a fact that I've been playing for 20+ hours.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
As someone who never played a Deus Ex before (/duck), I can say that this game is basically a superior mix of Fallout 3 and what ME2 should have been.

That may seem like an insult to some people, but it translates into me being an instant fan and wanting to play the original.
I've never played the original either but I think the MGS series is the closest thing to HR in terms of gameplay. I can see the ME2 angle though, especially if you're playing the game as a shooter. The hub worlds definitely have that Fallout 3 feel to them, they're just smaller and more dense.

Tacitus_ said:
The AI will check for places where they thought they heard something and will spot you in a vent if they manage to look into it. So it's got that going for it.

Those conveniently placed fire extinguishers you find around serve as great distractions for enemies. YOu can shoot one to draw enemies to it, or throw it and draw enemies to where it lands. They'll also stun an enemy if you shoot one when a dude is standing close.

Glass breaking is also a great distraction. Shoot or throw something at window to draw enemies close. The only downside is that sometimes they'll sound the alarm at glass breaking.

Wallach

Fine Ham Abounds said:

You should play it. So far I think HR is actually a little better, but the first does does handle some things better. If you can get past the age you'll find a pretty similarly framed game that has a lot to offer.

Top Bottom