• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Solo

dmshaposv said:
I haven't started the game yet (just got it!) but was wondering about this. I loved the original Deus Ex but Denton had no personality what so ever.

So does Jensen's personality suck that much or is this nostalgia?

JC was emotionless like Keanu Reeves, which made him awesome.

syoaran

Solo said:
If they aren't going to touch DX1/IW, at least set the next game AFTER those events.

I want to see the collapse though. I want to see how the renaissance of society turns into the barren, plague invested broken countries that you see in Deus Ex. I think navigating those events, trying to create glimmer of hope during the collapse of society should be a blast.

They said about 1000 times in different interviews the next game(s) is going to be a sequel to HR, not a remake of DE1/IW or a sequel to IW, I don't know why this is being brought up all the time.

Finished it. Excellent game, it's wonderful to live in a world where Deus Ex is on everyone's lips. Great endings, and the post credits scene was a nice touch.

Looking forward to a sequel/Thief 4, and it'll be interesting to see what they do with DLC for Human Revolution.

angular graphics said:
They said about 1000 times in different interview the next game(s) is going to be a sequel to HR, not a remake of DE1/IW or a sequel to IW, I don't know why this is being brought up all the time.

Is this confirmed? I mean I know they don't want to do a remake, but that they are actually going to be making a post HR deus ex game?

Zeliard

I think JC Denton had a personality - it was just a very aloof one. Jensen is similar in many ways, though through dialogue choices you can make him less of a hilarious asshole. But I don't see the point in that. :p

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Is this confirmed? I mean I know they don't want to do a remake, but that they are actually going to be making a post HR deus ex game?

(If they are to make a Deus Ex game but pretty sure it's going to get the green light) yes.

dmshaposv

Solo said:
JC was emotionless like Keanu Reeves, which made him awesome.

Ok, so it is nostalgia then. What a shame. :p

I've been hoping that Jensen would make for a better protagonist in da fwesh. The Timothy Olyphant thing is doing it for me.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I think JC Denton had a personality - it was just a very aloof one. Jensen is similar in many ways, though through dialogue choices you can make him less of a hilarious asshole. But I don't see the point in that. :p

I really enjoyed (first hub stuff)
asking Megan's mom for a reward for investigating Megan's death in Detroit. She's lucky I even gave her the bracelet; the guy at the gas station wouldn't buy it.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
angular graphics said:
They said about 1000 times in different interviews the next game(s) is going to be a sequel to HR, not a remake of DE1/IW or a sequel to IW, I don't know why this is being brought up all the time.

Oh. Well there we go. Thanks AG!

Zeliard

Wallach said:
I really enjoyed (first hub stuff)
asking Megan's mom for a reward for investigating Megan's death in Detroit. She's lucky I even gave her the bracelet; the guy at the gas station wouldn't buy it.

Haha yeah she's the one who
royally chews your ass out for demanding a reward, right?
Found that part quite amusing.

Jintor

Wow. This third boss fight is bullshit.
It doesn't help matters that like the idiot I am I went and installed an illuminati chip in my brain

legbone

i agree with the previous posters. i'm baffled at the press and their lack of ammo. it was worrying me going in since i hate games that make the ammo too scarce. man, i have ammo coming out my ears. i'm always doing the old inventory management shuffle. i just can't bring myself to "waste" points on the inventory upgrades. maybe at the end of the game. i am doing pretty well on praxis. i have level 5 hacking, two hacking stealth upgrades, breaking through walls, high jump, icarus landing system, and something else i cannot remember (i just got to china for the first time). this game is easily on my top 10 list of all time. someday when i get a decent computer i need to play the first one. i'm afraid it won't hold a candle to this though.

Gav47

Gav47 said:
Has anyone ran into a bug that freezes the game on the flight to Henshaw?
Just in case anyone is having the same problem.

I tried angular graphics method of reloading a save but that didn't work, the next time I launched the game it crashed at the AMD splash so I validated the files on Steam and it downloaded 12mb of something but still game the crashed so finally I disabled SLi on the Nvidia control panel and that fixed it. I'm assuming its a driver problem.

I think I'm almost at the end
I'm in Singapore finding the missing research team members

Can I knock it out in an hour or do I still have a while to go?

a cg trailer with Paul Denton would be of infinite wonderment.

i'm becoming extremely anxious for DLC news. i'm both hopeful and worried. it could be amazing expansion-like (additional hub and/or side missions) or it could be lots of small things like *just* new weapons and items.

those things are cool and all, but i want more game. i want MOR MEAT.

Zeliard

legbone said:
i just can't bring myself to "waste" points on the inventory upgrades. maybe at the end of the game.

I got one of the inventory upgrades early on and found it quite useful. It gives you two vertical rows which is fairly significant. But I also like to carry around various things because I experiment with new stuff whenever I can, so it depends on your play-style.

toasty_T said:
I think I'm almost at the end
I'm in Singapore finding the missing research team members

Can I knock it out in an hour or do I still have a while to go?

You're very close to the end but I don't know if you could do it in an hour or not.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
legbone said:
this game is easily on my top 10 list of all time. someday when i get a decent computer i need to play the first one. i'm afraid it won't hold a candle to this though.

Same here, I think this has definitely broken into my top 10 of all-time.

The original runs on just about anything, bear in mind it came out in 2000. It even ran perfectly on my netbook.

Oh, and it definitely holds a candle to Human Revolution. It'll take some getting used to if you're playing them in that order, but it set the standard Human Revolution is trying to live up to.

Effect

I wish they showed more (anyone) people aug rejection.
It comes up in conversations a number of times but was disappointed it wasn't shown.

legbone

oh wow, it plays on a netbook? i just got a new netbook. i may have to download steam and see what all the hubub is about. i think i will first upgrade my netbook from 1gb to 2gb.

Wallach

legbone said:
oh wow, it plays on a netbook? i just got a new netbook. i may have to download steam and see what all the hubub is about. i think i will first upgrade my netbook from 1gb to 2gb.

Feel free but back then the requirements were 64MB of RAM.

Zeliard said:

Any good videos of JC being an asshole?

Zeliard said:
I got one of the inventory upgrades early on and found it quite useful. It gives you two vertical rows which is fairly significant. But I also like to carry around various things because I experiment with new stuff whenever I can, so it depends on your play-style.

this.

those two rows are essentially all of your ammo and/or health items. the rest of the inventory can be all weapons and items. that whisperhead takes up so much space too. i'm also glad the combat rifle didn't get longer in the grid when i added the silencer.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
a cg trailer with Paul Denton would be of infinite wonderment.

i'm becoming extremely anxious for DLC news. i'm both hopeful and worried. it could be amazing expansion-like (additional hub and/or side missions) or it could be lots of small things like *just* new weapons and items.

those things are cool and all, but i want more game. i want MOR MEAT.

Some interesting things:

http://www.trueachievements.com/n4768/deus-ex-human-revolution-needed-cuts.htm

However, in a recent interview with Major Nelson on his podcast, Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, art director for DE:HR, revealed that during the four years of development, the team had to make a large number of cuts to ensure the game would be finished in time. Such sacrifices even included a complete city hub which had to be removed, apparently to Jacques-Belletete's dismay. Although this was removed quite early in development, other cuts were made very late in the process, purely to ensure that deadlines were met. Jacques-Belletete went on to say that if everything had been included, the game would have had 100+ hours gameplay.

http://www.gamer.nl/interview/64016/in-gespek-met-david-anfossi-van-deus-ex-human-revolution

And what about downloadable content?

Since the same applies, we already have some ideas. We have created a universe so large it's easy to build upon it. It is a matter of money, but also of manpower, because the same team can not meet both the DLC and the game itself works. For now we must work with such limitations. In content, the DLC may include new locations with new missions. Something that stands alone and in three or four hours to experience, but does a strong impression.

http://psfocus.nl/1_22361_0_Interview__Deus_Ex__Human_Revolution_–_David_Anfossi.aspx

PSFocus: And the downloadable content then? Is it there or is the story of the game properly closed?

David Anfossi: It's a story, a conspiracy by the end of the game to complete your story. But we have not only a story, but also a universe that is very important to us. For this universe is not just about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. We have a background created the universe, so in the future is always something else to this universe link. The story will be concluded with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but the universe allows us to have enough new things to do.

http://www.complex.com/video-games/...evs-talk-about-a-human-revolution-over-brunch

And what are your feelings on DLC for the game?

JF: If we did DLC, it will certainly be brand new content, nothing that we intentionally held back in development. Any DLC we make will be able to stand on its own and won't feel outdated.

D: Yes, being outdated is the best way to kill a franchise.

JF: We've been very thorough in Human Revolution. We want to make sure that this franchise stays pertinent for a long period of time. It's not about making this one title and saying, "Bye-bye!" We want to take care of the franchise.

GR: The other types you see are the mission-based kind. Some are those you would play during the main game as a side quest, and others end up being more like an epilogue to continue the game. A lot of gamers often complain that they buy a title and there isn’t really an ending and they have to buy new DLC…

JJB: One thing I can tell you is that the game you’re going to buy on the shelves is self-contained. It’s going to end awesome. It has multiple endings. I can’t tell you how many, but no matter which one you get or if you replay and get another one, it ends like that. If we do DLC, we’ll work it in a way that it’s not like a thing you needed [for the main game]. It’s either going to be happening while or before [the main story], I have no idea, but I know those concerns. We’re fully aware of it.

mAcOdIn

dmshaposv said:
I haven't started the game yet (just got it!) but was wondering about this. I loved the original Deus Ex but Denton had no personality what so ever.

So does Jensen's personality suck that much or is this nostalgia?
I think it's nostalgia, all the games have somewhat failed at the main character's dialog, they're either too detached or adding too much emphasize on shit you don't feel should have it, I don't think Jensen's better or worse than Denton although a few of the cutscenes make me feel that Jensen's "cooler" than Denton.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
They could, but they shouldn't. The universe will get a bit too crowded if in the space of 30 years there were three seperate global conspiracies to take over the world that had to be thwarted, each one decades in the making, each time by a single augmented agent, a tech guy and a helicopter pilot.

(Post-game teaser spoilers)

We saw in HR that the MJ12 are in position to set up shop, and they're starting to work on Morpheus, the precursor to Icarus/Daedalus/Helios. So if they're already working on the stuff for DX, what new conspiracies will there be in this inbetween game? I'm sure they could do something if they needed to, but again, I don't think it's a very good fit, and I don't think I want it.
But I don't really buy into this at all. I dunno, I guess it depends on "what" people expect from a Deus Ex game, if you expect the ending of each game to end with a major world changing event then yes, I think it'd be a bit crowded and silly, but honestly I think that every once in a while just having a single ending to a specific issue would work just as fine, if not better, while leaving large parts of an existing conspiracy unexplored leaving plenty of space in the universe for others.

Jintor

Oh my fucking god this third boss

whoever decided bosses needed to be in DX3 needs to have all their limbs cut off and replaced with cybernetic versions of them

but they were all made in thailand out of bamboo

mujun

I half enjoying this game, half hating it. It's criminal that it involves so much trial and error and yet a reload takes 20+ seconds.

Xater

Jintor said:

whoever decided bosses needed to be in DX3 needs to have all their limbs cut off and replaced with cybernetic versions of them

Why are you having so much trouble with them? I thought all of them were so easy. Especially the third one. I think I killed him with 2 or 3 shots from the grenade launcher. Fight was over in 10 seconds.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
angular graphics said:
I like how Eidos-Montreal came out of nowhere and became, at least philosophically, pretty much the best dev studio ever. :lol

These dudes know what they're doing and have the confidence to go there. Props.

Jintor

Xater said:
Why are you having so much trouble with them? I thought all of them were so easy. Especially the third one. I think I killed him with 2 or 3 shots from the grenade launcher. Fight was over in 10 seconds.

The first two were easy. Give Me Deus Ex difficulty. Stealth-specced character. My only weapon of note is my laser rifle.
I was planning to Typhoon him to death, but all my augs got disabled due to a terrible decision I made 10 hours ago

YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SHOOT ME THROUGH YOUR OWN BACK, YOU CHEATING BASTARD

Xater

Jintor said:
The first two were easy. Give Me Deus Ex difficulty. Stealth-specced character. My only weapon of note is my laser rifle.
I was planning to Typhoon him to death, but all my augs got disabled due to a terrible decision I made 10 hours ago

I was also specced for stealth, but I was smart enough to carry some heavy weaponry with me just in case ;)

angular graphics said:
Some interesting things:

we are now e-buddies. thank you kind sir. i am quite smile this morning now.

8)

BobsRevenge said:
I like how Eidos-Montreal came out of nowhere and became, at least philosophically, pretty much the best dev studio ever. :lol

YES. it's like they stood their ground and said we are going to take our time with this game and put a lot of thought into things instead of just rushing to hit deadlines and push out another 'product'. sure, there are things that could have been done a little better but playing this game is so magical, and watching/reading about the devs' process nails it on *why* it's so magical.

when i get home today i will hug my girl, hug my cat, and then hug my DE:HR copy. then maybe a group hug. we'll see.

mujun said:
I half enjoying this game, half hating it. It's criminal that it involves so much trial and error and yet a reload takes 20+ seconds.

You should probably wait behind cover a bit more and figure out patterns? Or do you have a different problem?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BobsRevenge said:

I have to say, its a shame it has to be on consoles too since that will make them lean more towards the DLC path. And not making an expansion pack. Expansion pack would allow them to add in that completely new hub, 7-8 side quests, with probably 2-3 mission quests. DLC is probably going to be a side quest or two + mission.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Jintor said:

YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SHOOT ME THROUGH YOUR OWN BACK, YOU CHEATING BASTARD
This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't play single player games while drinking.
I actually got my chip replaced too because I wasn't thinking straight, and when I got to the last boss I didn't have the ability to make the connection between the two events to figure out why my augs weren't working. I kept checking my controls to see if everything was mapped right, but eventually I gave up on the typhoon strategy and decided to hammer them with the heavy rifle until they died. Luckily that worked really well, thanks to the cooler, but I wasn't able to make the connection until I started reading up on gaf the following day.

I also ended up forgetting some of the more important storypoints. Oh well, holes to fill in on a second playthrough. sigh

Superimposer said:
I agree with this, but Hengsha is still awesome, really reminded me of Blade Runner and it must have definitely been an influence
It's been awhile that I've felt lost in a game environment. I love that feeling, and with all that verticality, random apartments and shops with backrooms, Hengsha is definitely one of my favorite environments ever. It's dirty and seedy with filthy people, oh just spectacular! Then you look up and see the metal sky of the B-level and realize it's always night time down here.

legbone

33-Hit-Combo said:
You should probably wait behind cover a bit more and figure out patterns? Or do you have a different problem?

yeah, like life, patience is a virtue in this game. i had to revert to my old mgs ways. this and mgs seem a lot alike to me. normally i hate stealth gameplay. but mgs and this are two of my favorite games ever. they are the only two stealth games i can tolerate. i guess i just like stealth done well. it doesn't hurt that when things go all pete tong in human revolution you can unleash hell on the fools if need be.

shintoki said:
I have to say, its a shame it has to be on consoles too since that will make them lean more towards the DLC path. And not making an expansion pack. Expansion pack would allow them to add in that completely new hub, 7-8 side quests, with probably 2-3 mission quests. DLC is probably going to be a side quest or two + mission.

yeah but look how other PC-focused-ish games have done DLC. they did the big huge DLC and made it feel more like old PC expansion days. that doesn't guarantee that Eidos Montreal will do the same, but with how PC-like this game feels i wouldn't put it past them to wow us.

(side note: i found some shareware discs in a storage unit over the weekend. also found some PC gamer discs, and one of them had a NOLF1 demo, another had a Q3 demo, and one had max payne demo. super nostalgia kicked in so i brought them home. seeing if they install later this week. :p )

mujun

33-Hit-Combo said:

Jumping off a rooftop to get into gang territory, it wasn't clear by just looking at the environment how I could get across.

That's just one example, the map also doesn't really let you know clearly where enemies are or how easily they can or can't see you when you peek out of cover. Not to mention that there are a lot of occasions when figuring out the enemies patterns doesn't help if you don't know where the cover/secret passages are.

They should have made it more forgiving or improved the loading imo, it really detracts from the enjoyment for me. Hopefully when I actually get some of my abilities up to a decent level I'll be able to sneak around more quickly, either that or I'll have more leeway to just take everyone out because at the point I'm at now it seems like stealth is the way you are supposed to do everything. The mission givers suggest it and the protagonist doesn't seem like the sort to go in guns blazing.

Robot Pants

Love this game.
Anyone else's Combat rifle sound not working though? I hear the ricochets of bullets but when it fires it doesnt make a sound.

hteng

Banned
Jintor said:

i heavy machine gunned her ass to oblivion, 100 ammo can maul her down quick, but you'll need to bring some grenades/emps to stun her as well.

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty sure I don't want any dlc to be before the main story, it'll just be a normal cover shooter then since Jensen won't be augmented...unless they want to use a different character as the focus.

They could probably slip something into the main story, maybe even another hub if they really wanted to. They slipped the gamestop mission right in to the storyline effortlessly, but that was a ~20 minute mission.

mujun said:
Jumping off a rooftop to get into gang territory, it wasn't clear by just looking at the environment how I could get across.

That's just one example, the map also doesn't really let you know clearly where enemies are or how easily they can or can't see you when you peek out of cover. Not to mention that there are a lot of occasions when figuring out the enemies patterns doesn't help if you don't know where the cover/secret passages are.

They should have made it more forgiving or improved the loading imo, it really detracts from the enjoyment for me. Hopefully when I actually get some of my abilities up to a decent level I'll be able to sneak around more quickly, either that or I'll have more leeway to just take everyone out because at the point I'm at now it seems like stealth is the way you are supposed to do everything. The mission givers suggest it and the protagonist doesn't seem like the sort to go in guns blazing.

Ah I remember that area... I looked at the augs available, and it was fairly clear to me that the access point required an aug. But I agree that bit was probably a bit hit or miss.

I haven't had an issue with spotting enemies behind cover until fairly in to the game, at which point you might have purchased the vision aug, or a stealth aug that shows their cones of sight, both are helpful. Perhaps move around the environment more rather than scout from one position? I can't say I'm particularly bothered by this though, I don't want to be able to rush the game and 100% it in one go.

I agree with the loading, it's a bit of a nuisance, but I imagine they tried to reduce it. Afterall, who likes watching loading screens?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate the size of the areas they give me full access to, but in the end, when I'm in the middle of an action sequence, all that I care about is how long it's taking me to get back into the game when I die. The load times are so, so awful.

Tacitus_

ThoseDeafMutes said:
They could, but they shouldn't. The universe will get a bit too crowded if in the space of 30 years there were three seperate global conspiracies to take over the world that had to be thwarted, each one decades in the making, each time by a single augmented agent, a tech guy and a helicopter pilot.

(Post-game teaser spoilers)

We saw in HR that the MJ12 are in position to set up shop, and they're starting to work on Morpheus, the precursor to Icarus/Daedalus/Helios. So if they're already working on the stuff for DX, what new conspiracies will there be in this inbetween game? I'm sure they could do something if they needed to, but again, I don't think it's a very good fit, and I don't think I want it.

I'd say a game around the forming of UNATCO could be cool. There's that mech augmented bartender that could be the player character. She even left UNATCO after she found out something about the way it's being run!

garath

mujun said:

The cone of sight aug is your friend.

Top Bottom