• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

ezekial45

Banned
Quick question about Jensen's pilot, after leaving Detroit the second time.

is it possible to save her from the ambush? They'res a lot of heavily armed soldiers there. I'd like to keep her alive if possible.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ezekial45 said:

is it possible to save her from the ambush? They'res a lot of heavily armed soldiers there. I'd like to keep her alive if possible.
Yes. I didn't think you could, but others have.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Take the hit now and invest in the Typhoon Explosive System. That will put all of your worries to rest. Also, there are tons of weapons and ammo in all of the rooms where boss fights occur.

Typhoon is the answer to all boss fight related ails.

ezekial45 said:

Yes but you have to be quick.

Dresden

Inkwell said:
The game is fantastic so far, but I'm worried about the inevitable next boss fight. I'm trying to do a no kills stealth run, but that first boss was just so difficult. It didn't help that when I entered the fight I had no damage dealing weapons besides a pistol. Had no armor upgrades either (and still don't!). As far as I know there isn't a stealth/puzzle-ish way to deal with bosses, and that's kind of a downer.
Typhoon is the best investment. You can also kill robots with it, and it eliminates the need to carry any lethal weapons, freeing up space.

You really want it before the second boss.

I almost feel like I was miss-sold this game. I'm trying to play as a shooter but the enemies are far too difficult, when they see me a few shots and I'm toast. I'm only very early in and I've upgraded my damage resistence but it makes no odds. I'm reduced to wankerish stealth bullshit like take downs and hiding behind boxes, I kinda hate playing like that. I'm meant to be cyborg killing machine! NOT enjoying this game so far.

BeeDog

Alright, status update! How much do I have left when I've (somewhat minor spoilers)
taken the TYM to the tower and climbed it until I've reached the first non-hostile area (with the nice view)?

Swifty

Cozzy said:
I almost feel like I was miss-sold this game. I'm trying to play as a shooter but the enemies are far too difficult, when they see me a few shots and I'm toast. I'm only very early in and I've upgraded my damage resistence but it makes no odds. I'm reduced to wankerish stealth bullshit like take downs and hiding behind boxes, I kinda hate playing like that. I'm meant to be cyborg killing machine! NOT enjoying this game so far.
Play it like Predator, not Rambo.

BeeDog said:
Alright, status update! How much do I have left when I've (somewhat minor spoilers)
taken the TYM to the tower and climbed it until I've reached the first non-hostile area (with the nice view)?

Half.

ezekial45 said:

Prioritise your targets, aim for the two heavies first, then hit the mech immediately after it comes down. (I threw an EMP Mine where it was meant to land, it didn't even have time to unpack.) I'm gonna try and do it non-lethal on my second playthrough, which should be interesting.

Mutombo

Cozzy said:

I feel ya. Although the game is supposedly along the lines of

PLAY ANY WAY YOU WANT TO

it is not, because if you want to be rambo you get shot in the head. So it pretty much comes down to lethal or non lethalness and different routes you take, instead of the 'screw this hiding crap, I'm a barge in and kill the lot'.

But what the other said, you have to be predator. Kill, hide, kill. Seems to be the way to play for either rambo or metal gear style of play. submit to that, make it fun, and it'll be fun.

as a question, I want to survive more than 3 shots as well, is it worth investing in my dermal skin, or does everyone still advice the Kill-Hide-Kill way of playing and should I invest in more offensive skills?

Inkwell

Banned
OK. Looks like I'm getting the Typhoon upgrade.

I wonder if anyone else deals with the upgrade system like I do. I tend to save all the points I can, and just upgrade or unlock things as needed. I think I have 7 spare points right now.

Wallach said:
I'm not sure how you would implement it in so it works in DX:HR since the time it actually takes a player to hack is a secondary function of the game's stealth (i.e. hacking stuff in an area that people patrolling/wandering may find you performing said hacking). I'm not totally against simplifying the action itself for those that get tired of the clicking involved, though the time function needs to remain. Probably shouldn't allow the player to get the optional datastore bonuses when doing it that way either. So it would be like holding a button to allow the game to automatically take the most direct route in the mini-game to the green nodes (which aren't always the fastest way to win a hack), I guess.
You could have a similar gameplay impact by just having different levels of security take longer to hack. Having to hack something under stress (before the cloak wore out or whatever) wasn't that prominent in the game anyway, I can think of two maybe three cases off the top of my head where you couldn't clear the area around a terminal easily. I really don't think it's worth the tedium it develops into. I enjoyed it starting out but after a while XP and money won't matter anymore so it just feels like a waste of time. The problem also with all these kinds of mini-games is that the challenge will disappear completely very quickly when used heavily so it won't be exiting past the first few hours. And that's using what I'd say is the best hacking mini-game in any game ever.

Having just a bar and the basic XP reward for completing a hack wouldn't harm the game in any way, IMO.

IoCaster

Dyno said:
People are bitching about the bosses but they're not anything to get caught up on. The purpose they serve is that Jensen gets his revenge on the people who fucked him up.

Exactly. I couldn't wait to take them down. I had a whole lot of, "sonofabitch must pay" rage, reserved for those fuckers.

Wallach

Danne-Danger said:
You could have a similar gameplay impact by just having different levels of security take longer to hack. Having to hack something under stress (before the cloak wore out or whatever) wasn't that prominent in the game anyway, I can think of two maybe three cases off the top of my head where you couldn't clear the area around a terminal easily. I really don't think it's worth the tedium it develops into. I enjoyed it starting out but after a while XP and money won't matter anymore so it just feels like a waste of time. The problem also with all these kinds of mini-games is that the challenge will disappear completely very quickly when used heavily so it won't be exiting past the first few hours. And that's using what I'd say is the best hacking mini-game in any game ever.

Having just a bar and the basic XP reward for completing a hack wouldn't harm the game in any way, IMO.

I don't think it would harm it either. I'm just saying I don't think a brute force/auto-hacking type option should offer a resolution that is actually faster to perform. So long as that isn't really a factor I'd definitely support that kind of thing.

stuminus3

Inkwell said:
I wonder if anyone else deals with the upgrade system like I do. I tend to save all the points I can, and just upgrade or unlock things as needed. I think I have 7 spare points right now.
That's a good plan, but I'd go for the punch through walls aug early for the simple reason that you probably won't notice that you need it if you don't have it (it outlines walls that can be broken for you).

I didn't realise this until later in the game then decided to get it for shits 'n' giggles. Then I punched through a wall in a sewer that I'd walked past many times before, and found a secret cache of about a million computer passwords that I could have used hours and hours earlier.

raphier

Banned
stuminus3 said:
That's a good plan, but I'd go for the punch through walls aug early for the simple reason that you probably won't notice that you need it if you don't have it (it outlines walls that can be broken for you).

I didn't realise this until later in the game then decided to get it for shits 'n' giggles. Then I punched through a wall in a sewer that I'd walked past many times before, and found a secret cache of about a million computer passwords that I could have used hours and hours earlier.
nay, a simple mine would suffice for that wall

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
pedr0theli0n said:
ugh. should i go out and buy this today? I know its going to show up on amazon for $40 as soon as I do...

I'm pretty sure it's 35 dollars right now.

GOGOGO

Danne-Danger said:

I can definitely understand how the hacking would get old if you didn't particularly enjoy it but I found it to be fun and interesting throughout. I know it was repetitive and very abundant but there was something that felt cool about flying around the screen capturing 2 to 3 nodes at a time and trying to race through each hack as quickly as possible. It just felt fun once I got good at it.

Mutombo said:

PLAY ANY WAY YOU WANT TO

it is not, because if you want to be rambo you get shot in the head. So it pretty much comes down to lethal or non lethalness and different routes you take, instead of the 'screw this hiding crap, I'm a barge in and kill the lot'.

But what the other said, you have to be predator. Kill, hide, kill. Seems to be the way to play for either rambo or metal gear style of play. submit to that, make it fun, and it'll be fun.

as a question, I want to survive more than 3 shots as well, is it worth investing in my dermal skin, or does everyone still advice the Kill-Hide-Kill way of playing and should I invest in more offensive skills?
Thanks for the advice man. Im thinking of dialling the difficulty down to easy, that's actually a gaming first for me.

I wasn't expecting the game to be as hard as it is to play the style I'd like to play. I'm hoping when I play on easy the story is enough to keep me from trading it for space marine next week.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
hahaha, did
a sidequest for Darrow on my second visit to Hengsha, retrieved the chip and persuaded the lady to talk about his secret project. A supercomputer, huh? I know where this is going.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I see people have problems with playing it like a shooter. What? Invest in your armor, strength and recoil augs.

subversus said:
I see people have problems with playing it like a shooter. What? Invest in your armor, strength and recoil augs.

And most importantly aim for the head. I've taken out whole packs of enemies with a pistol. Don't forget that they too die because of 1 bullet in the head.

If you want to play the game as a shooter you have to play it as a tactical third-person shooter because it's easy to die on normal or hard and there isn't an abundance of ammo. Cover is also very important. As others have said it plays kind of like Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
subversus said:

Perhaps they are referring to the lack of ammo and weapon mods. Since a majority of those come from searching through the environments, hacking, etc etc.

If you play the game like COD you'll probably miss out on alot of these.

BeeDog said:
Half or even more left? WTF, this game is way bigger than I thought then. At the rate I'm gaming right now, it'll take ages to finish it, awesome. Thanks guys!

He meant that you were more than half done. (Which you are)

BeeDog said:
Half or even more left? WTF, this game is way bigger than I thought then. At the rate I'm gaming right now, it'll take ages to finish it, awesome. Thanks guys!
In my experience the second "half" of the game went by much quicker because there is less hub-exploring and more isolated levels. I spent forever in the hubs, especially Detroit.

Gowans007 said:
Did the boss fight!

Flicking the screen maximum v's

Two hours wasted!
Nice!

Late game spoilers here.

So what happens if Malik dies after the crash? can she die? If she does what happes to the scientists after you break them out of the singapore facility?

also, what happens to you if you get the recalled BioChip upgrade? can you win that bossfight?

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Prioritise your targets, aim for the two heavies first, then hit the mech immediately after it comes down. (I threw an EMP Mine where it was meant to land, it didn't even have time to unpack.) I'm gonna try and do it non-lethal on my second playthrough, which should be interesting.

I did non-lethal my second time through and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Most enemies focus more on Malik than you so sneaking from one to another isn't difficult. Just keep your priorities straight and you should be good. Just remember to make sure no one is near the Mech when it explodes, whether they're knocked out or not, it will most likely kill them.

That was really the only sticking point for me.

Pookaki said:
Late game spoilers here.

So what happens if Malik dies after the crash? can she die? If she does what happes to the scientists after you break them out of the singapore facility?

also, what happens to you if you get the recalled BioChip upgrade? can you win that bossfight?
Well, she dies. You then later find her corpse in the surgery room of the Harvester's hideout with a wound on her forehead where they took out her augments. As I understand it the scientists bail with a VTOL that's already there.

All your augs are disabled for the Namir fight. All of them. You don't even get a HUD.

Zeliard

The_Darkest_Red said:
If you want to play the game as a shooter you have to play it as a tactical third-person shooter because it's easy to die on normal or hard and there isn't an abundance of ammo. Cover is also very important. As others have said it plays kind of like Rainbow Six: Vegas.

In my experience ammo is very plentiful for the 10mm, machine pistol and combat rifle, but is not quite as ubiquitous with other weapons, at least for a good chunk of the game. Still, the 10mm is devastating with the right upgrades, and I imagine the upgraded combat rifle and machine pistol aren't too shabby either (though I've ignored them in this playthrough).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pancakes said:
Perhaps they are referring to the lack of ammo and weapon mods. Since a majority of those come from searching through the environments, hacking, etc etc.

If you play the game like COD you'll probably miss out on alot of these.

He meant that you were more than half done. (Which you are)
Well, if you're playing the game like COD (ie. just shooting, not exploring, not looting corpses, not using the sidequests to your advantage), you're playing the game incorrectly. Plain and simple. There is more than enough ammo in the game (hell, I ended the game with over 200 10mm rounds, and over 100 revolver rounds, along with 200 laser rifle rounds).

Gowans007 said:
I can't handle another boss fight like that. Done for the night. Tell me there are no more GAF.
The next one is harder. Have fun!

thetrin

I do want to replay the game at some point, and invest my points differently, knowing what I know now having finished the game.

Definitely will invest in cloak, typhoon and hack earlier on, and invest much less in stealth enhancer and the like.

Swifty

Mutombo said:

PLAY ANY WAY YOU WANT TO

That said, you can certainly play it like Rambo if you plan your ambushes really well. You can't just mindlessly stroll into a bunch of guys and pick them off without knowing anything about the environment. The beauty of a stealth-action game like Deus Ex is that you can reconnoiter before triggering the fight. That way you can slip past guards and look out for robots and turrets you can heel turn, spot for any explosive barrels conveniently placed, or look for good places to place mines and remote charges.

So, it's more like Home Alone and Rambo. But really, Rambo planned his ambushes too...

Zeliard said:
In my experience ammo is very plentiful for the 10mm, machine pistol and combat rifle, but is not quite as ubiquitous with other weapons, at least for a good chunk of the game. Still, the 10mm is devastating with the right upgrades, and I imagine the upgraded combat rifle and machine pistol aren't too shabby either (though I've ignored them in this playthrough).
There is plenty of ammo if you do a lot of exploring and are careful with your shots but relative to most FPS's or even TPS's there is not much at all. In most games you would pick up 50 bullets from an enemy, in HR you're lucky to get 10. You can't just go in guns blazing to every fight and expect to have enough ammo to make it through the entire game.

Don't get me wrong, you can play through the entire game killing every enemy and playing aggressively. All I'm saying is that you can't play the game as if it were Killzone, Call of Duty, Gears of War, or any other popular FPS or TPS. Keep in mind that I don't see this as a flaw, but rather a reality of the game.

HR forces you to play smart whether you want to take the stealth approach or the combat approach.

Rufus

Jensen is not the Terminator, in other words.

Pookaki said:
Late game spoilers here.

Expanding on 2 a bit: I did actually
get the 'upgraded' chip, despite knowing for a fact the game would fuck me over for it. I just wanted to see how exactly.
It doesn't make the fight impossible, but you will beat your head against a wall a few tries in if you don't bring the right equipment. There are weapons strewn about the room, as always, but it's still really hard, even on normal. I just loaded an earlier autosave and got myself a nice laser rifle from a storage area close by. Did the job alright, especially considering how accurately you 'blind fire' it from cover.

Top Bottom