• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The only abilities I really regret getting in my first playthrough are the stealth related abilities for seeing NPC vision cones and seeing the range of noise you make. Both of those were pretty much useless.

Zeliard said:
Yeah, Typhoon buries bosses. It's like the anti-boss aug.
Yeah, I stated this a few pages back. It really is; you just have to make sure you keep ample supply of protein bars for the energy cells. I have, like, 4 big jars and over 20 bars stockpiled, along with 25 Typhoon rounds. Locked and loaded!

MNC

I just spent some time throwing down mines, shooting so guards came towards me, walking straight into the mines, then pick off the rest. I was in hostile/alarm mode the whole time so I definitely consider this the alternative way. Be clever in your ways of killing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't know why people recommend investing in Typhoon. I tried it on the second boss, useless. And if you do it in the open you kill 2-3 guys and then become a sitting duck. I have 10 of them.

IoCaster

Wallach said:
I'm not sure how you would implement it in so it works in DX:HR since the time it actually takes a player to hack is a secondary function of the game's stealth (i.e. hacking stuff in an area that people patrolling/wandering may find you performing said hacking). I'm not totally against simplifying the action itself for those that get tired of the clicking involved, though the time function needs to remain. Probably shouldn't allow the player to get the optional datastore bonuses when doing it that way either. So it would be like holding a button to allow the game to automatically take the most direct route in the mini-game to the green nodes (which aren't always the fastest way to win a hack), I guess.

I think there should be a balance that includes a possible penalty of some form. If you're using a brute force approach then it makes sense to have consequences that allow for the AI to take notice and bring the heat. It would be a type of differentiator in gameplay choice so that those players that are making a stealth based effort will be rewarded for choosing hacking AUG upgrades. In contrast those players that choose to run'n'gun can keep the action flowing. It's a win-win.

subversus said:
I don't know why people recommend investing in Typhoon. I tried it on the second boss, useless. And if you do it in the open you kill 2-3 guys and then become a sitting duck. I have 10 of them.
It's pretty much the skip bossfight aug. It wrecks their shit.

JohngPR

I don't get how people are having so many issues with boss fights (50 times? Wow!).

Pick one lethal weapon to keep at all times just for the boss fights and upgrade it to high hell and you should be fine. Also stock up on EMP grenades and EMP mines.

I"ve played probably a total of 10 minutes worth of boss fights (I'm currently 30+ hours in)...and I'm far from an elite gamer.

Tanolen

subversus said:

You hit the boss with it one time, and the boss is then stunned afterwards allowing you to freely typhoon again and end the fight.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Rickenslacker said:
It's pretty much the skip bossfight aug. It wrecks their shit.

I wasted 3 rounds
on her, the bitch survived.
I said fuck that and killed her with a revolver.

Tanolen said:
You hit the boss with it one time, and the boss is then stunned afterwards allowing you to freely typhoon again and end the fight.

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! I see...

Wallach

Londa said:
How do you do takedowns for two people without killing them?

You need the Reflex Booster aug. Once you take that, you just get within takedown range of both people and takedown as normal.

JohngPR said:
I don't get how people are having so many issues with boss fights (50 times? Wow!).

Pick one lethal weapon to keep at all times just for the boss fights and upgrade it to high hell and you should be fine. Also stock up on EMP grenades and EMP mines.

I"ve played probably a total of 10 minutes worth of boss fights (I'm currently 30+ hours in)...and I'm far from an elite gamer.

problem i found is it makes you throw away everything that the game has previously taught you, especially if you built stealth (not much of an issue endgame since you can pretty much get everything you want)

Londa

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
1. Do you have the Reflex Booster aug?

2. Aren't takedowns explained at the start of the Sarif Plant mission?
I didn't have that aug also I didn't know that I shouldn't hold the button.

Wallach

Londa said:

Probably just skipped the tutorial on accident.

Tapping Q (or whatever it is on console) is a non-lethal takedown, holding it is lethal. Same rules apply after you get Reflex Booster, you just have to be in range of both of them.

Rufus

Londa said:
Did you turn off the symbols that tell you specifically that? When you're in range, you should see symbols popping up, on the left sleeping zzz's instructing you to press the button and on the right a skull, instructing you to hold the button.

Been going through my second playthrough, my first was no alarms/no kills and now I'm just fighting my way through.

It really brings out the problems with the games exp system and it's hindering my enjoyment of a 2nd run.

First of all - lethal takedowns - what on earth is the point? Apparently to look cool at the detriment of the player. Less exp, more noise, zero benefit. WTF were they thinking with this?

This of course is tied to the bigger problem of overall less exp for non-stealth, I know other people have complained about it but I didn't realize how annoying it was until I actually started playing differently.

Another think that has been brought up, hacking. It was kind of fun during the first play, but now its annoying, so even less exp even if I found the code or whatever. Also, the original game did it right where you could control turrets/bots via the password but had to upgrade to be good enough at hacking to do it. In this game even if you have the code you still can't shut down the turrets or bots, so nevermind that I gained full access to the security console, let me crawl through the vent to get past the turret. Stupid.

Something I haven't really seen brought up - exp for crawling through vents and other such crap. I HATE this. The first game did this right where you get exp for reaching a LOCATION regardless of what path was used. The result of this is you have to decide if you want to proceed with the game or backtrack to kill immersion but better your augs.

Exp system could really use a overhaul, and the game feels a little rushed as you get closer to the end. More varied enemies and locations should have been there, did not have any of the WTF IS THIS SHIT moments of the first game. The story was much too rushed where they went overboard with information on early game and side quests but towards the end it becomes too much of a information void while it actually starts to get interesting. Overall an amazing game but does not live up to the greatest of the original. I'd like to see a sequel to this game where they are allowed much more time to flesh out the details of the gameplay and story.

Zeliard

Treemonkeys said:
Another think that has been brought up, hacking. It was kind of fun during the first play, but now its annoying, so even less exp even if I found the code or whatever. Also, the original game did it right where you could control turrets/bots via the password but had to upgrade to be good enough at hacking to do it.

That's pretty much the case again, except this time there are specific augs there for turret and robot control. In both games you're still upgrading your hacking ability to be able to control them (in DX1 it's your Computer skill).

Wallach

Treemonkeys said:
Been going through my second playthrough, my first was no alarms/no kills and now I'm just fighting my way through.

It really brings out the problems with the games exp system and it's hindering my enjoyment of a 2nd run.

First of all - lethal takedowns - what on earth is the point? Apparently to look cool at the detriment of the player. Less exp, more noise, zero benefit. WTF were they thinking with this?

This of course is tied to the bigger problem of overall less exp for non-stealth, I know other people have complained about it but I didn't realize how annoying it was until I actually started playing differently.

Another think that has been brought up, hacking. It was kind of fun during the first play, but now its annoying, so even less exp even if I found the code or whatever. Also, the original game did it right where you could control turrets/bots via the password but had to upgrade to be good enough at hacking to do it. In this game even if you have the code you still can't shut down the turrets or bots, so nevermind that I gained full access to the security console, let me crawl through the vent to get past the turret. Stupid.

Something I haven't really seen brought up - exp for crawling through vents and other such crap. I HATE this. The first game did this right where you get exp for reaching a LOCATION regardless of what path was used. The result of this is you have to decide if you want to proceed with the game or backtrack to kill immersion but better your augs.

Exp system could really use a overhaul, and the game feels a little rushed as you get closer to the end. More varied enemies and locations should have been there, did not have any of the WTF IS THIS SHIT moments of the first game. The story was much too rushed where they went overboard with information on early game and side quests but towards the end it becomes too much of a information void while it actually starts to get interesting. Overall an amazing game but does not live up to the greatest of the original. I'd like to see a sequel to this game where they are allowed much more time to flesh out the details of the gameplay and story.

My biggest complaint with this game is definitely the XP system. It really did not get enough consideration.

At least there is no MIBs in this game, though. Dumbest shit ever.

Vaporak

subversus said:

Typhoon + cloak kills everything ezpz.

JohngPR said:

when you say lethal weapon - what do you mean?

One of the best guns ive used so far as the PEPS gun..its great for multiple groups of people and non lethal kills. but basically, ive got a pistol, shotgun and stun gun. what is "lethal" and what should i have with me? In lower Heng Sha right now.

kitch9

Banned
Mutombo said:
I feel ya. Although the game is supposedly along the lines of

PLAY ANY WAY YOU WANT TO

it is not, because if you want to be rambo you get shot in the head. So it pretty much comes down to lethal or non lethalness and different routes you take, instead of the 'screw this hiding crap, I'm a barge in and kill the lot'.

But what the other said, you have to be predator. Kill, hide, kill. Seems to be the way to play for either rambo or metal gear style of play. submit to that, make it fun, and it'll be fun.

as a question, I want to survive more than 3 shots as well, is it worth investing in my dermal skin, or does everyone still advice the Kill-Hide-Kill way of playing and should I invest in more offensive skills?

You could just buy MW3.....

Inkwell

Banned
I felt a bit overwhelmed on which augs to unlock or upgrade when I first started playing, so I came up with a system on which ones to choose.

First, like I said earlier, I hold off on upgrading anything unless I think the situation requires. I'll also upgrade something if I notice patterns in game/level design. I'm very close to upgrading the aug that lets me move heavier objects, as it seems it could open up stealthier routes.

Second, I've divided the augs into two categories: Augs that provide me with needed skills and abilities, and those that are not necessary but may help. For example, the stealth augs that tell you how far sound is traveling or show vision cones seem helpful, but are far from necessary. I can still be stealthy and get past most situations. On the other hand, upgrading hacking allows me to hack systems the game simply wouldn't let me before. Cloaking seems like it might be really useful as well, but I haven't unlocked it yet.

ToD_

I'm not at home and therefore not able to look it up precisely, but from what I recall Typhoon has two levels. One that kills enemies and damages robots, and one that kills everything. Is the higher level recommended for bosses or is that really only necessary for taking out robots?

So: Malik's mission in Lower Hengsha. Was there any way to hack the security panel in the Hive undetected? Because I feel shitty about having to kill two guys to do that. :lol

I didn't have Cloak, but I did use my Praxis points after the mission to unlock it. Gonna have some fun with that.

Mwahaha. Spoilers after you leave Detroit for the second time.

Felt like such a bad ass saving Malik. I refused for her to get killed so I kept re-starting. Sniped the 2 heavies with my only 2 bullets and shotgunned the rest. EMP for the robot and bam! She lives!

Vaporak said:
Typhoon + cloak kills everything ezpz.

Cloak alone kills everything, just move out of their initial attack route and fire away, they will stand there without reacting.

Green Scar said:
So: Malik's mission in Lower Hengsha. Was there any way to hack the security panel in the Hive undetected? Because I feel shitty about having to kill two guys to do that. :lol

I hacked it at least 3 times already, each time nobody stopped me.

Dresden

Mutombo said:
as a question, I want to survive more than 3 shots as well, is it worth investing in my dermal skin, or does everyone still advice the Kill-Hide-Kill way of playing and should I invest in more offensive skills?
3/3 dermal skin is the difference between surviving, and being one-shot, by a shotgun blast. It's pretty useful.

It's a cover shooter, you just aren't going to run around shotgunning people.

how did you guys take out boss 2? Wasn't until after I took her out that I realized there was an aug that makes you resist electricity >.>"

I won through many quick saves and oddly enough, bunny hopping strafe with pistol was pretty damn effective o_O

So i'm working on a no kill run right now, but i may have encountered a problem or a glitch.

I was doing pretty much the same thing but using violence when necessary in my first play through, and i noticed in the first side quest with the extortion and neuropzene that when i tranqed the 2 dealers they both ended up with skulls over their heads later on. Sure enough, one of them did the same thing again this time. Do you think i'm screwed? I'm going to continue playing as it is also my hard mode run, but does anyone have any experience with this trophy?

chickdigger802 said:
how did you guys take out boss 2? Wasn't until after I took her out that I realized there was an aug that makes you resist electricity >.>"

I won through many quick saves and oddly enough, bunny hopping strafe with pistol was pretty damn effective o_O

I was just standing there cloaked and hitting her with my pistol. :D

Now the 3rd boss with you-know-what...first time I fought him I made at least 5 saves mid-fight. :D

Onion_Relish said:
So i'm working on a no kill run right now, but i may have encountered a problem or a glitch.

I was doing pretty much the same thing but using violence when necessary in my first play through, and i noticed in the first side quest with the extortion and neuropzene that when i tranqed the 2 dealers they both ended up with skulls over their heads later on. Sure enough, one of them did the same thing again this time. Do you think i'm screwed? I'm going to continue playing as it is also my hard mode run, but does anyone have any experience with this trophy?

It's a glitch, you are screwed with Pacifist trophy, sorry.

YoungFa

Green Scar said:

I didn't have Cloak, but I did use my Praxis points after the mission to unlock it. Gonna have some fun with that.
I dont know, but I assume after you gain access to the manager office the security guards wont bother you. At least they'd let me do whatever I want since I was a pal of Tong.

SHAZOOM

Just got the game. Spent some time in Detroit just exploring. Ended up in gang territory. So I massacre all these red shirt gang members and end up on the street walker street. Talk to a undercover cop who gives me a quest to get "evidence" from the gang area I JUST massacred.

I love this game. Also, wished I had upgraded Icarus Landing, because there was this instance where all the gang members were below me while I was on top of a 4 story building. Would have landed and just Typhooned if I could.

Enco

chickdigger802 said:

She glitched up and froze.

I unloaded my shotgun on her. Taser also helps.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Anyone know if the preorder bonus DLC is still available (I know some retailers sell the DLC inside the box, and they usually have extra copies out on the shelves)?

Zeliard

I'm fairly annoyed that they limited an entire side quest to a retailer exclusive. Doing that with weapons is bad enough, but a mission? And apparently it's supposed to be quite good and ties in with the overall plot.

So lame that the shitty trends of this gen still have to impact an otherwise fantastic game.

I hope they have some exclusivity window with the retailers and will just release this shit for free eventually.

Rufus

chickdigger802 said:
Wait for her to get within range (which she does first thing), stun gun her (marvel at how well it works), stun gun her some more, walk up close, Typhoon. Done.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I'm fairly annoyed that they limited an entire side quest to a retailer exclusive. Doing that with weapons is bad enough, but a mission? And apparently it's supposed to be quite good and ties in with the overall plot.

So lame that the shitty trends of this gen still have to impact an otherwise fantastic game.

I hope they have some exclusivity window with the retailers and will just release this shit for free eventually.

Seriously. What's even worse is that we got doubly fucked here in the US; in the EU all of that stuff was in the same pre-order bonus. I mean fuck off. The core game would have benefited quite a bit from some of that content too (at least the AUDs if not the missing mission).

YoungFa said:
I dont know, but I assume after you gain access to the manager office the security guards wont bother you. At least they'd let me do whatever I want since I was a pal of Tong.

Oh, I never got in there. Eh, I've done it now. At least I was never seen killing anyone.

Rufus

Phat Michael said:
when you say lethal weapon - what do you mean?

One of the best guns ive used so far as the PEPS gun..its great for multiple groups of people and non lethal kills. but basically, ive got a pistol, shotgun and stun gun. what is "lethal" and what should i have with me? In lower Heng Sha right now.
Lethal, as in kills people dead. I don't think he was referring to a specific weapon, so long as you keep one with you that's actually lethal (not specifically highly lethal).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zeliard said:

I heard it was quite short and lame actually.

Castor Krieg said:
It's a glitch, you are screwed with Pacifist trophy, sorry.

NOTE: For the most part, after an enemy is incapacitated, you can tell if an enemy is living or dead by the icon that appears on the prompt when you aim at their body. It will show Zzz if the enemy is unconscious, or a skull if the enemy is dead. This display is glitchy however, particularly among some of the Derelict Row Ballers, so another way of being sure is by the Merciful Soul bonus experience that you receive when you knock them out. I can personally verify that I experienced this glitch where it appeared as though an enemy was dead, and yet I still received the trophy once the game was completed. Experiences may vary, so be careful.

courtesy of ps3 trophies

Ive only gotten mercifuls so far, so im not worried yet.

jett

D-Member
Is it me or is the sound balance kind of bad? At least on the PC version. Music volume seems too low, some sound effects are also too low, while others too high.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
skimming through this thread, this seems to be one of the first times in recent memory I'm totally detached from what seems to be the overwhelming majority opinion here.

Top Bottom